• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World's Tiniest Baby Going Home

Glensheen'sGirl~

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I realize that this isn't "Fortean", but it IS a news story and I thought that other FT members might like to read it. It's a "feel good" story and I like those. :)

http://www.channel4000.com/sh/health/stories/health-148075420020525-110531.html

World's Tiniest Baby Ready To Head Home
'Pearl' Just 10 Ounces At February Birth
Posted: 12:36 p.m. EDT May 25, 2002
Updated: 12:41 p.m. EDT May 25, 2002

ROME -- Doctors call it a miracle.

A baby weighing less than 10 ounces at birth is healthy enough to go home from a hospital in Italy. Doctors say the girl they've nicknamed "Pearl" is the tiniest baby known to survive.

She was delivered by Caesarean section in the beginning of February -- during the 27th week of pregnancy. Doctors say she was delivered prematurely because her mother had a leg artery problem that ran the risk her limb would have to be amputated.

A pediatrician says curled up, the baby fit "right in your hand."

She now weighs almost four and a half pounds and is living at home near Florence.

Doctors say the girl is healthy and in good shape. Her chances of having a normal life are "nearly 100 percent."

Aww that's so sweet. I love babies, snuggly little cuddly things. :D
*sigh* I want to be a mummy. :)

That's a nice story. Good to see that some things do go right. :)

And Spooky, babies are nasty, loud smelly demanding things. But some of them grow out of it and become women :D

I don't want a woman, I want a baby. lol Yeah maybe they are smelly and noisy, but in a nice way. :) I changed plenty of my nephews nappies, so I'm used to that!
*tries to turn off clucky mood* :)

Whenever my wife got broody I would take her to my sister's. She had 4 kids aged between 3 and 13 at the time. Put the wife off for another year :D

I spend all day in a room with 28 kids! If that hasn't put me off, nothing will. ;)

Ok then, I can't promise the kids, but I'm prepared to give you a lot of practice at the thing you have to do to make kids. If you're game ;) ;)

But the trouble with babies is that they grow up. They become fractious toddlers, then stroppy pre teens, moody teenagers and then go off and forget about you, leaving you to rot in an old peoples home. Not that I'm negative about this at all :p

I'm more positive than that. Given the right upbringing and understanding teenagers do not become stroppy, and if they do you listen to what they have to say. A lot of kids are labelled as trouble when adults just aren't willing to listen to them. Kids in my class have been labelled that way, but I have been able to get through to them. (I've taught up to 11 year olds, and they have the potential for stroppiness too.)
*Gets down off soapbox* ;)

Adrian Veidt said:
But the trouble with babies is that they grow up. They become fractious toddlers, then stroppy pre teens, moody teenagers and then go off and forget about you, leaving you to rot in an old peoples home. Not that I'm negative about this at all :p

But they are still the biggest joy a person can find in all the world, IMO. :)

But however good you are with teenagers you are still an embarrasment to them :)

Glensheen'sGirl said:
But they are still the biggest joy a person can find in all the world, IMO. :)

Exactly. :) The joys outweigh the heartache they cause you.

Adrian Veidt said:
There speaks someone who has never had kids :D

But I on the other hand do have one. My little girl is the most precious thing in the world to me. It's something one can never fully grasp until they have one of their own...

I suppose you're right, I'm just being old, cynical, bitter and twisted.

oh how sweeeeeeeet. Imagine being able to fit into someones hand. I expect she wont be so sweet when she's a moody, hormonal teenager. Isn't it a shame that adorable babies have to grow up! My nephew was a premature baby, and was so tiny and helpless. Now, he's nearly one, and he's a big bouncing boy. He is just beautiful. I think that new life is a miracle.

Spooky angel said:
Exactly. :) The joys outweigh the heartache they cause you.

Speaking as a mother, I agree with you totally. There will never be a relationship in your life as special as the one you have with your child. It is without doubt the hardest job you will ever do, but it is totally rewarding, even the bad times.

Spooky angel said:
Aww that's so sweet. I love babies, snuggly little cuddly things. :D
*sigh* I want to be a mummy. :)

I doubt if a 27-week preemie is snuggly and cuddly. Extremely premature babies tend to be so touch-sensitive that even the degree of handling necessary to keep them fed and clean hurts. Poor mite's parents probably didn't even get to hold her for weeks.

Hope they enjoy making up for lost time!

Nonny

I know that baby isn't cute and cuddly yet, but it will be. Let's just hope the poor little tike stays healthy. Awww Palm of your hand? Awww :)

well i have a long time 2 go b4 i have kids, but i no i want abt three. no more than that...but i jst wnt dem as babies...without going thru labour...i mean, i see how i am with my parents, and i dnt wna go thru it wit MY kid!!!!!!!! i'll just take spooky angels baby and give it back when it reaches terrible 2s!!!!!

vamps

No way! I'll keep my baby for cuddling. :) Anyway, the so called "terrible twos" are nothing. My nephew was gorgeous throughout, a bit lively when about 18 months, but still gorgeous. :)

Back