• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World's Youngest Criminals

Youth held in shooting deaths

By Brad Bauer, [email protected]

A 12-year-old Lower Salem boy is in custody today and is expected to be charged with murder in connection with the shotgun-shooting deaths of his aunt and grandmother late Monday afternoon.
Washington County Sheriff's Office detectives said Christopher Sturm opened fire on his family members around 5 p.m. Killed was Nancy Tidd, 61, and Emma Tidd, 40, both of 4865 Highland Ridge Road.

"From the information we have, the boy was upset at the grandmother and that led to the shooting," said Detective Jeff Seevers.

Seevers said the boy retrieved a single shot .410 gauge shotgun from another room in the home and shot both women in the head. There was no sign of a struggle. The shotgun is believed to belong to the grandmother's longtime companion, John Francis Russell.

Detectives declined to say how many shots were fired.

"His grandmother was unable to even get up and defend herself because of a medical condition," Seevers said. "And the other woman had some mental disabilities and was living with her mother."

Seevers said the crime was reported after a family member came to the home to check on the welfare of the two women.

"(Nancy Tidd's) live-in boyfriend became concerned after he couldn't get through on the phone from work," Seevers said. "Another family member came over and discovered the bodies."

Sturm was located about six miles away at his mother's residence on Ohio 145 in Lower Salem. He was taken into custody and transported to the Washington County Juvenile Center. The youth spent time living with both his mother and grandmother, investigators said.

Seevers said the boy initially denied being involved in the shootings, but later admitted to killing his family members. Washington County Prosecutor Michael Spahr said early today he expects to charge Sturm with both aggravated murder and murder counts for each of the victims.

A detention hearing is expected to be held today in Washington County Juvenile Court. Further details weren't available at press time.

Under Ohio law, juveniles charged with serious offenses who are 14 years old or older can sometimes can be charged as adults.

Washington County Sheriff Robert Schlicher said the boy is suspected in a recent sexual assault, too.

"We've had run-ins with him in the past," Schlicher said. "He has other criminal charges pending against him stemming from other incidents, including rape."

Seevers said the boy was also suspected of being involved in drugs, although it was unclear if he was under the influence of anything at the time of the shooting.

"He was possibly involved in some drug use - huffing gas," Seevers said.

Deputies processed evidence at the family's white mobile home until 4:30 a.m. and were expected to return by 8 a.m. to continue their investigation. The bodies were removed from the residence and taken to the Montgomery County Coroner's Office where autopsies will be conducted, Seevers said.

Patrick Grosklos, a resident of Highland Ridge Road, said the killings were shocking. The rural neighborhood typically is quiet with few problems.

"It's hard to believe," Grosklos said.

Grosklos said the killings did not make him feel unsafe, but he will be more vigilant.

"We always lock up anyway, but it makes me want to keep my eyes open a little more when people are driving back and forth. I'll probably be a little more leery of strange vehicles," Grosklos said.

Source

TEEN'S EVIL BLOG

By CYNTHIA R. FAGEN

December 6, 2004 -- A popular high-school honors student has been charged in the fatal bludgeoning of her mother — and investigators say the teen wrote of her twisted hatred for the woman in a vicious Web log.
A-student and star athlete Rachelle Waterman, 16, is accused of conspiring to kill her mother, Lauri, 48, in the small town of Craig, Alaska.

"Like most rebellious teenagers, there were bound to be conflicts, but nothing to escalate into something like this," said Sgt. Randy McPherron.

Cops said the choir girl enlisted two ex-boyfriends to carry out the brutal murder.

Investigators said that while the teen plotted the murder over several months, she also kept a blog that reveals a simmering hatred of her mother:

"I'm grounded. Last night my mom went psycho bitch on me and tossed me out."

The teen persuaded the alleged accomplices, Jason Arrant and Brian Radel, both 24, to kill her mother by claiming she was being abused.

Cops said the victim was alone at home Nov. 14 when she was abducted by Radel, then bound and gagged and driven in the family car to a remote location where he met with Arrant.

Police believe Radel clubbed Lauri Waterman to death on the way to meet Arrant.

Radel poured gasoline over the corpse and torched the car, cops said.

A few hours later, a deer hunter spotted the smoldering vehicle on a lonely stretch of highway.

"Jason and Brian believed everything Rachelle told them and Rachelle outright lied," said McPherron.

"Rachelle fabricated incidents and they took it as gospel. We haven't found any reason to believe [Lauri] was abusive."

What may be the only clues to the motive is Waterman's warped blog that shows a darker side of the seemingly perfect daughter.

"My Crappy Life: The inside look of an insane person, Location: Hell, Alaska," she wrote in one entry.

"Well I just wanted to let everyone know I haven't been online 'cuz I am grounded for getting 89 percent on a math test, and I have computer restrictions because parental units found my Wicca books . . .," a reference to manuals on the occult.

Even after her mother's shocking death, which devastated her father, Carl, and rocked the close-knit community, the girl seemed indifferent to the crime and more upset over not having use of her computer.

In her last entry before she broke down and confessed, she blogged:

"Just to let everyone know, my mother was murdered. I won't have computer access until the weekend or so because the police took my computer to go through the hard drive."

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/35839.htm

Police Pursue 10-Year-Old Truck Driver

Dec 8, 5:41 PM (ET)

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Ken Haynes was on his way to work Tuesday at St. Vincent Health System when he noticed who was at the wheel of a furniture truck traveling east on Interstate 630 in west Little Rock.

"I looked over and said, 'My God, it's a kid driving that truck,'" Haynes said. "I was scared to death he was going to hurt himself."

The driver was indeed quite young, police say - a 10-year-old boy with "emotional problems" who fled from a stopped school bus and stole the truck as it sat waiting to be loaded at an office-furniture store.

Haynes alerted a state trooper to the situation, and the officer began pursuing the truck as it looped back on a city street toward the site where it had been taken. Passing that spot, the boy at the wheel entered I-630 again, but heading west.

The pursuit never exceeded 40 mph.

"He wasn't driving really fast, but he was weaving," Haynes said.

Eventually, the truck slid off I-630 into the median and became mired in mud.

State Police Lt. Mike Foster said the boy was frightened and wouldn't open the truck's door, so the officer broke the door's window and turned off the ignition.

A woman listed in the police report as the boy's guardian said the youngster was fine after being treated at a hospital for some scratches from the broken glass.

Bradford Montgomery, director of transportation for the Little Rock School district, said the boy was the only passenger on a bus being driven by Raymond Gachot, 75. Montgomery said "the student bolted" after Gachot stopped the bus because the youngster was being unruly and wouldn't stay in his seat.

The bus was taking the boy to a facility that provides behavioral health services for children and their families, police said.

Source

Girl, 12, is caught drink-driving

A 12-year-old girl was found to be nearly twice the drink-drive limit when she was caught behind the wheel of a car in Wiltshire, it has emerged.

Police say the youngster, from Berkshire, was visiting relatives in Swindon on Christmas Day when she took the Vauxhall Corsa for a drive.

The girl, now 13, has pleaded guilty to four offences including driving with excess alcohol.

She will appear at Newbury Youth Court on 31 January for sentencing.

A Crown Prosecution Service spokeswoman said the girl, believed to be one of the youngest people to be charged with drink-driving in the UK, was stopped by officers on the B4006 just outside Swindon.

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was breathalysed and gave a reading of 65 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, the spokeswoman said.

The legal limit is 35 microgrammes per 100 millilitres.

She admitted to driving with excess alcohol, taking a vehicle without consent, driving without insurance and driving without a licence.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 192521.stm
Published: 2005/01/20 16:46:45 GMT

© BBC MMV

Thursday, January 27, 2005 · Last updated 4:30 a.m. PT

Wis. teen accused of poisoning family

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PORTAGE, Wis. -- A teenager put mouse poison into his family's food for five weeks before his stepfather discovered the pellets in some coffee grounds, according to a criminal complaint.

The 15-year-old was charged with three counts of attempted first-degree intentional homicide. A judge set bail at $25,000 cash Wednesday.

The boy's mother, stepfather and the couple's 3-year-old daughter had experienced stomach pains, heartburn and vomiting, the complaint said.

When interviewed by police at school, the teen said he put poison in juice, milk, spaghetti, coffee and meat, according to the complaint. The boy told investigators that he did not want to kill his family, but wanted to make them sick because he was mad at them.

Assistant District Attorney Steven Sarbacker said the boy was unhappy with his living situation.

The boy's stepfather and mother said he had threatened them before and that he "sleeps on a mattress in the walk-in closet off the master bedroom so they can 'watch him,'" according to the complaint.

The family was expected to fully recover, Sarbacker said.

Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Tuesday, February 1, 2005 · Last updated 12:19 p.m. PT

Teen claims antidepressant led to murder

By BRUCE SMITH
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- A teenager who shot and killed his grandparents as they slept is "a shy, decent boy" who was led to kill by the antidepressant Zoloft, his attorney said as the boy went on trial.

Christopher Pittman, now 15, is being tried as an adult for two counts of murder in the November 2001 slayings of Joe and Joy Pittman with a pump-action shotgun. Their house was set ablaze and the youth, then 12, drove off in the family car.

Defense attorney Andy Vickery said Monday that Zoloft was to blame.

"This is a case about one drug that has taken three lives. When you hear the case, you will have the power and opportunity to give one back," he said. "A shy, decent boy was acting under the influence of a mind-altering drug."

Prosecutors contend Pittman shot his grandparents because they disciplined him for fighting on a school bus.

[...]

Pittman could be sentenced to 30 years to life in prison if convicted

Seattle Post-Intelligencer

4-year-old reverses into police car

Greets

4-year-old reverses into police car

Police in Michigan stopped a car after it reversed into their vehicle - and found the driver was a four-year-old boy.

The boy had driven his mum's car a quarter of a mile from his home to a video shop at 1.30am, but found it was shut reports The Sun.

The boy from Gran Rapids hit three parked cars as well at the police's patrol vehicle.

Office Jay Osga said: "He was crying and said he wanted to go to bed."

He will not face any charges.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1275439.html

mal

A boy of four drove his mother's car on a late-night trip to a video shop in the US state of Michigan, police say.

Although too small to reach the accelerator, he put the car in gear and the idling engine took him to the shut shop, 400m (437yds) away in Sand Lake.

On its return journey the car's weaving attracted a policeman - who followed the apparently driverless vehicle.

The youngster hit two parked cars and reversed into the police car before he was stopped. He will not face charges.

The policeman who discovered exactly who was behind the wheel, Sgt Jay Osga, said: "He knew how to go from forward to reverse," Sgt Osga said.

The mother said she taught him how to drive while he was sitting on her lap.

No charges will be brought against the boy or his mother for Friday's incident.

"He's four-years-old. His mom didn't even know he was up," Sand Lake police chief Doug Heugel told The Grand Rapids Press newspaper.

"I don't think he even realises what he did."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4246189.stm

:)

Or is this a weird coverup?

Police puzzled by bizarre single shot deaths

February 21 2005 at 12:57PM

Police in Port Shepstone are investigating a bizarre shooting in which two young children were shot dead by a three-year-old.

Even stranger, both were killed by a single shot and the gun is missing.

The shooting took place at Murchison on Friday. A three-year-old found a gun in an abandoned car. While playing with the gun, a shot went off hitting two girls, both aged seven. Both died instantly.

The commander of the Port Shepstone serious violent crime unit, Superintendent Ilse Claasen, said details of the killings were sketchy.

"Soon after the shooting someone picked up the murder weapon and disappeared with it. We have not yet been able to interview the child as the mother has taken him away," Claasen said.

Source

Well this pretty much wins unless there is going to be a crime spree conducted by feotuses (could happen I suppose):

Four babies and a criminal trial

Four Bangladeshi infants have appeared in court in their parents' arms accused of looting and causing criminal damage.

The four - whose ages range from three months to two years - were released on bail after a brief hearing.

The magistrate in the southern city of Chittagong said the case did not appear to be genuine - but the truth would emerge in a police report.

Anyone can file criminal cases in Bangladesh, and the procedure is frequently used to harass people.

The magistrate, Ali Noor, told reporters that he had been "a bit surprised" to see such young children in his court.

"Everything will come out during the police investigation and the report that will be submitted to the court later," he added.

Bail has been granted at $50 per child.

The children are all members of an extended family.

Relatives said the allegations stemmed from a land dispute with a neighbour.

-------------------
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 308597.stm

Published: 2005/03/01 16:27:15 GMT

© BBC MMV

Ruddy Nora - kids today!!

Boy ordered hit on dad's life

From correspondents in Rio De Janeiro
19mar05

A 12-YEAR-old Brazilian boy put out a hit on his father, police here said today, adding that the man's killing was solved after a teen hitman complained he had not received his agreed payoff for the slaying.

The hit took place last month in the metropolitan Fortaleza area of Ceara state in the northeast, but police said they had only solved the case now because the alleged 16-year-old assassin told his family he had killed a person, but had not been paid the agreed $US550 ($A700) for the murder.

The young son confessed to police he had ordered the hit against his father, a 65-year-old pensioner, because his father beat him.

However, the authorities believe the boy was after his father's pension payments which they say he raided, among other things, to rent the pistol used by the alleged assassin.

Investigators believe the father had discovered his son was stealing his pension payments and spending the cash on cinema tickets and on food and clothes for his friends. Police said the beatings started after the father's discovery.

According to the teen trigger-puller, the mother of the 12-year-old had been present when the two youngsters negotiated the terms of the hit.

The 12-year-old remains free, due to his age, while the authorities continue to investigate the case.

Source

Sheriff: 9-year-old kills mother, self

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 Posted: 1507 GMT (2307 HKT)

(CNN) -- A 9-year-old Arcola, North Carolina, boy shot and killed his mother before taking his own life, according to the Warren County Sheriff's Department.

Tyler Jones apparently killed his mother, 38-year-old Glenda Pulley, shortly after midnight Saturday morning, the department said. He left a suicide note in which he apologized for her death.

Authorities have not been able to determine a motive.

"They were a very nice family. I never had any problem with none of them," said Warren County Sheriff John Williams, who said he knew the family personally.

Tyler is said to have had a good relationship with his family members and friends, Williams said. There was no obvious discord between him and his mother, he said, and it's unknown if he was on any type of medication or if he had any mental or emotional issues.

Williams said family members became worried during the weekend after not seeing Pulley or Tyler for more than a day. Pulley's brother and mother, who live nearby, kicked in the front door of the home Saturday and found the two bodies in one of the bedrooms.

"A family gun" was used in the shootings, Williams said, but it's unknown where and how the weapons was stored.

Autopsy results released to law enforcement by the North Carolina Medical Examiner's office confirm the shooting was a murder-suicide, Williams said.

The boy's father, Pulley's ex-husband, lives in Georgia.

Source

See also:
www.wfmy2.com/news/local_state/local_ar ... ryid=39432

Brothers, 3 and 5, Take Van for Joyride

May 2, 9:54 PM (ET)

ROCHESTER, Ind. (AP) - Two brothers, ages 3 and 5, took their mother's van on a 5-mile ride in northern Indiana, crossing a four-lane highway, before crashing into a pile of dirt and emerging unhurt, their family said.

The boys began Saturday morning as usual watching cartoons, but later took the van keys from their mother's purse and took off, their family said. Chase and Chandler Bright both sat in the drivers seat to steer the van, leaving their mother, Heather Bright, wondering how they reached the pedals.

"It amazes me," she said. "I was like, 'Oh my God, No! This cannot be happening.'"

The boys said they wanted to go visit their grandfather, a police accident report said.

The boys' other grandfather, Mike Bright, found them at the U.S. 31 bypass, where he said older brother Chase was careful and looked both ways before successfully crossing the four-lane highway some 45 miles south of South Bend.

But the boys later missed a turn onto a street, drove through a fence of a fertilizer business and crashed into a pile of dirt. They emerged without a bruise, and the van only had a flat tire and some minor damage.

Chase, who is fascinated with vehicles, apologized for wrecking the van, his mother said. And security at their home was tighter now.

"We got this house locked down like Fort Knox," she said. "I'm going to have to sleep with the keys around my neck now."

---

Information from: The Rochester Sentinel, http://www.rochsent.com

Source

Emperor said:
Well this pretty much wins unless there is going to be a crime spree conducted by feotuses (could happen I suppose):

Four babies and a criminal trial

Four Bangladeshi infants have appeared in court in their parents' arms accused of looting and causing criminal damage.
[...]

here's the follow up on this:

Toddler acquitted of 'adultery'

A court in the northern Bangladeshi city of Bogra has acquitted a two-year-old child accused of adultery and theft, officials say.
The infant appeared in court on his mother's lap to seek bail.

Saiful Islam was accused along with six others in the case. The Magistrate expressed "surprise" at the charges, and immediately released him.

They also ordered the complainant in the case to explain why he was filing such charges against a toddler.

Infant 'complicit'

Magistrate Naveed Shafiullah also told local politician Yunus Ali - who launched a preliminary investigation into the case - to explain how the incident happened.

A report in the Daily Star newspaper said that the charges against the child and seven others were filed by Jahangir Alam on 9 February.

He alleged that Saiful Islam, other family members and his neighbours were all complicit in stealing gold ornaments and clothes worth between 3,000 Bangladeshi Taka ($47 ) and 13,000 Bangladeshi Taka ($204) from his house.

Mr Alam also alleged that the named parties lured away his wife, Mabia Khatun, to marry another man even though she was not properly divorced.

Mabia Khatun is Saiful Islam's sister-in-law.

The case is not the first in Bangladesh to involve infant children facing serious charges.

In March, Bangladesh's High Court stepped in to halt the trial of four infants - all members of an extended family - who were accused of looting and causing criminal damage.

Four police officers were suspended for negligence in the case and an inquiry was ordered.

The infants, aged between three months to two years, appeared in court in their parents' arms, and were bailed.

Correspondents say that case highlighted the widespread practice of harassing people by filing false complaints.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 582311.stm
Published: 2005/05/26 11:16:00 GMT

© BBC MMV

Girl, 9, Accused Of Stabbing

NEW YORK, May 31, 2005

(CBS/AP) A 9-year-old girl fatally stabbed an 11-year-old girl in the chest with a kitchen knife during a fight over a ball, authorities said.

The 9-year-old, whose name wasn't released, was charged with manslaughter.

Police spokesman Paul J. Browne told The New York Times that he was "unaware of anyone younger implicated in such an act in New York City."

The victim, Queen Washington, 11, was pronounced dead at a hospital.

"She only stabbed her once. It went straight to the heart," Joyce Porter, Queen's grandmother, told WCBS-TV.

Washington's family says the godmother stepped out to borrow something from a neighbor, reports WCBS-TV's Hazel Sanchez. Police say Washington and her godmother's 9-year-old daughter got into a fight over a small toy ball, and the 9-year-old girl stabbed Washington in the chest

A spokesman for the Brooklyn district attorney's office said the case would go to family court because the girl is younger than 14.

In 1999, 12-year-old Lionel Tate became the youngest person in modern U.S. history to be sentenced to life in prison for the killing of 6-year-old Tiffany Eunick in Florida.

He won a new trial on appeal and went free in January 2004 under a deal that placed him under house arrest for a year followed by probation for 10 years. Now 18, he was arrested this month for allegedly holding up a pizza delivery man at gunpoint.

©MMV CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/ ... 8615.shtml

Playtime gone wrong?

Children quizzed over murder bid

A fifth child has been arrested by police over the suspected attempted murder of a boy aged five found with ligature-type marks around his neck.
Five children, all aged 11 or 12, and including two girls have now been arrested over the matter.

Anthony Mark Hinchliffe, of Chickenley, Dewsbury, was injured in woodland behind the Earlsheaton Medical Centre.

He was treated in hospital and discharged on Wednesday. Police are searching for two to three more people.

The child suspects - two girls aged 12 and 11, and three boys, two aged 12 and one aged 11 - are in custody after being arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

The victim has suffered some serious injuries - there are marks which cause me concern
Det Supt Andy Brennan

At a press conference on Wednesday afternoon Det Supt Andy Brennan of West Yorkshire Police said the five-year-old had "marks around his neck that could be consistent with ligature marks."

"The victim is a five year old child who has suffered some serious injuries which is why those arrested last night were arrested for attempted murder," he said.

"He's got a number of bruises to his body. He has marks around his neck which could be consistent with ligature marks - there are marks which cause me concern."

He said police were first contacted at 1800 BST on Tuesday by a member of the public, who had been approached by the victim, saying the boy had been seriously injured.

"Clearly, the boy was very distressed and he had obvious injuries," said Mr Brennan.

Items recovered

It is not clear if the Anthony had been abducted or not. Police said they are not ruling anything out at this stage.

The boy is being interviewed by specially trained officers and police confirmed a number of items had been recovered from the scene.

None of the children being questioned is related to Anthony, police said.

One of the children was arrested on Tuesday night and three were arrested in the early hours of Wednesday.

The fifth child, a 12-year-old boy, was taken in for questioning during the day on Wednesday.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 599005.stm
Published: 2005/06/01 15:38:40 GMT

© BBC MMV

bet itll end in a jamie bulger sincerio, (where the kids involved will be charged, sentenced, then new ids will be given)

An update on the story:

Girl admits harming five-year-old boy

Last Modified: 18 Jul 2005
Source: ITN

A 12-year-old girl has pleaded guilty to inflicting actual bodily harm on a five-year-old boy who was apparently hung from a tree.

The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, also admitted a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice when she appeared before magistrates at Dewsbury Youth Court.

Her victim was found wandering alone with red ligature-type marks around his neck and bruises on his body following the attack in a Dewsbury wood in May this year.

At an earlier hearing, the court was told how the boy, who was hung from a tree with a piece of string, escaped death by only a matter of seconds.

Home Office Pathologist Christopher Milroy examined the youngster after he was rescued from his horrific ordeal.

The pathologist looked at the boy's injuries and confirmed that "firm pressure" had been applied to the boy's neck and throat with a length of string.

He told the earlier youth court hearing: "If applied for a few seconds longer there is a strong likelihood that (the boy) would have died."

At the same hearing in Dewsbury, prosecuting counsel Mr Mehran Nassiri said both the little boy, and the 12-year-old girl who attacked him, gave conflicting accounts of what happened in the woods.

Initially the girl blamed the attack on other children and gave police four different names.

"That information led to the arrest and detention of people for a significant period. "

"The four kids were left in a harrowing position," the prosecutor added.

They later gave "foolproof" alibis that proved their innocence, he said.

Channel4 news

Boy of 11 banned from driving for one year

BMW boy, 11, banned from driving

An 11-year-old boy who was caught behind the wheel of a BMW has been disqualified from driving for a year.

Police in Andover, Hants, stopped a car in August because its headlights were not on, Basingstoke Youth Court heard.

Officers noticed the driver was "very short" and when they signalled for the car to stop it crossed over into the other lane just missing a lamppost.

The boy had pleaded guilty to several driving offences. He was also given a four-month supervision order.

The boy, who has behavioural and learning disabilities, pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention, driving without a licence and driving without insurance at an earlier hearing.

In addition to the driving ban and supervision order, chairman of the bench, Esther MacDonald, imposed three penalty points for driving without a licence and six penalty points for driving without insurance.

When he was caught, the boy claimed he owned the car, did not realise he needed a licence and that he knew how to drive.

He claimed he had swapped the BMW for his mini-motorbike with a man he had met in Winchester.

Sentencing him on Wednesday, Mrs MacDonald said: "If you break any of the terms of the order we will bring you back to court and we can punish you in a different way."

Youths can appear in court on driving charges, despite being under age.

Unsure whether this is fortean or not. Thankfully it seems no-one has been hurt by this boy and the potential consequences of his actions are very serious. However I laughed out loud at the idea of banning him from driving 1 year, I thought it was illegal until your 17 and passed the test anyway.

Perhaps they could have banned the 12 year old kids who stole my car a few years back, that'll stop 'em. :roll:

Source

Cheers

Floyd

Re: Boy of 11 banned from driving for one year

floyd23a said:
In addition to the driving ban and supervision order, chairman of the bench, Esther MacDonald, imposed three penalty points for driving without a licence and six penalty points for driving without insurance.

Eh? Three points on a licence he can't get for another 6 years for not having a licence he can't get for another 6 years? That'll learn him! :roll:

Its like the ASBO's. There was a kid who got an ASBO that forbade him to 'assault members of the public physically'. There is no point, as that is illegal already. Its just stupidity.

Its a useless penalty, it'd be better to stop him applying for a licence for a year when he's old enough and banging the points on his first licence.

They should just cut a finger off his mother and father - if they can be found - each time he's convicted of an offence. He's Eleven.

edit: ok, that's too Draconian but it is the parents who are at fault here. They should bear the brunt of the punishment and then discipline the child themselves.

This is the classic example of a judicial system that is rendered powerless by a lack of respect for authority.
I can't advocate overdone punishment but this little snot misbehaves and is told "Er ... if you had a licence, we'd take points off it!" What kind of punishment for crime is this?
I'd advocate punishment (not necessarily imprisonment) for parents of children committing crime. While I understand the argument that this would be punishing people who hadn't actually committed the crime themselves, hear me out ...

If a child is under the age of responsibility for committing a crime, then they are - by law - under the theoretical control of someone who is responsible for their behaviour and safety. This falls to the parents, guardians or educators. Thus, at any time a child is able to commit a public crime, it is the responsibility of the guardian to ensure that the child isn't committing a crime. Currently, a parent can say "Well, my little Billy was out playing with his mates. I don't know where or what they were doing." The law says that the legal guardian isn't responsible for the actions of a child ... but they are, theoretically, responsible for their safety, education and so on.

Short, sweet and not brutal - if a child commits a crime then the responsible adult is punished since it is their duty of care. Thus many idiot parents etc. would take a whole lot more notice of what their snot-nosed little brats were doing at eleven o'clock at night!

Stormkhan - Childminder of Satan!

Courts are aware he's 11 aren't they? Why treat him like a driver when he's 6 years away from being able to learn? Taking 3 points off him is useless when he doesn't even have one and can't till he's 17. :lol:

Good that no one was hurt but it's a funny sentence banning an 11 year old from driving for a year.

The problem is that our judicial system relies on laws that assume society respects the rule of law.

Thus, a minor infringement is punished. Everyone is meant to go "Oooooh. That person dared to try and break the majesty of the law!" and not "What? Pay £50 for being an ignorant, messy git? The law is stupid! I'm off out to get pissed, throw up into someone's garden then thump 'em if they complain!"

In theory, the punishment is not only the financial loss but the loss of esteem, both to the self and to their fellows. When you have a society that doesn't give a toss for others, the shame is not a restriction on behaviour.

There are many examples of behaviour which were once considered "shameful" but are not at all. However, a sense of shame did act as a restraint in a close society; a person honestly cared what their neighbour or associate thought about their behaviour. It wasn't a perfect control but it was one of many.

Childhood Belief

I suppose this is the proper thread to mention that when I was very young - circa ages six, seven, eight - I believed, SERIOUSLY believed, that state prisons possessed special small, child-sized electric chairs.

Well, it sure as heck prevented me from assuming "I can do anything I want - I'm just a kid and the law can't touch me."

my 10 point plan in britain:-

1) brats with parent/s, guardian/s put in the stocks for public humiliation for a month (f-ck human rights!)

2) put notices in local areas/papers with names/photos, detailing crimes of the brats

3) employ the guys from singapore with the bamboo canes(?), to mete out corporal punnishment. (for brats & carers)

4) ban all "gun/drug culture" hip-hop, rap music

5) serve hard labour sentances on both culprits and adults in quarries to break rocks for the railways, roadways (well if the brats cant be bothered to learn in school, they do rock breaking)

6) have "dislike months" in schools against bullies & parent/s, guardian/s (just like "1984")

7) bully the bullies in school (under strict rules) so the bullies learn whats it like to be bullied

8) use the music that brats/bullies like, against themselves (just like what happened with alex in "a clockwork oranage")

9) teach the brats to speak, spell and speak (none of this psudo caribbian speak) properly

10) and the pc do-gooders will be punished aswell

and before you ask. no im not for total authoritarianism

but the little shits who roam the streets all hours of the day, and who ever "should be" caring/looking after them should be punished.

I believe it was the late American newspaper cartoonist Al "L'il Abner" Capp who suggested that a good way of curing school rowdyism and violence would be to turn school administration over to the Mafia for several months every year.

It was also Capp who opined that if gangs of protestors breaking up political gatherings and meetings (of any stripe) is merely "an exercise in free speech" (as some argued in the late 1960s), then bank robbery is merely "a financial transaction" and gang rape merely "a social intereaction between three or more people."

And there was the comedian Emo Philips, who proposed that "the best way to cure children of night terrors and fear of the dark is to fill their days with so much horror that they pray for the nights to come."

Back