• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wormholes As Feasible Portals / Pathways To The Stars

A

Anonymous

Mr Rynner mentioned this in the Time Machine thread, so apologies if this is old news. Just thought it deserved a thread all of its own. :)

As I can't afford to be a space tourist, I'd love to put my name down to be a pioneer traveller to this uncharted territory...

Quantum wormholes could carry people

All around us are tiny doors that lead to the rest of the Universe. Predicted by Einstein's equations, these quantum wormholes offer a faster-than-light short cut to the rest of the cosmos - at least in principle. Now physicists believe they could open these doors wide enough to allow someone to travel through...

More here.

I'll let you go first Cursed - send a postcard and I'll meet you there :)

There seems to be one small snag though (well apart from being instantly crushed if the calculations are wrong):

But sending a person would be another thing. To keep the wormhole open wide enough would take a negative field equivalent to the energy that would be liberated by converting the mass of Jupiter.

On the other hand, didn't I read somewhere that there is supposed to be an infinite source of energy available from phantom quantum particles popping in and out of existence?

Jane.

I think that the biggest problem (assuming that this were possible) is that if you compensate too much, then ou would initiate a period of rapid "inflation" something along the lines of creating another universe within our own. I don't think we'll get this one passed the Health and Safety Executive.;)

I'm sure I read (in an issue of Fortean Times some time ago) that some scientist somewhere had figured out a way to create the entrance to the wormhole in such a way that it generated more energy which kept itself open. Presumably if you went in you'd alter the equations, but that's still better than meddling with Jupiter-sized perfectly efficient batteries ;)

Everybody is worried about opening and maintaining a wormhole to act as entrance way. Where are you supposed to exit to? I'd say that'd be something to bear in mind if you're thinking about volunteering.

Pah! Your sensible, reasoned, science-based arguments aren't going to put me off my wormholery.

Where's your sense of adventure?

I'm going out, I may be some time...

:p

I'm operating on the assumption that the wormhole will go in a straight line from the direction where you open it, in a distance proportional to the amount of energy you put in. Of course, I might be completely wrong, and even if I was correct, there could be other issues, such as strong magnetic and gravitational fields altering the direction through space ;)

I'm operating on the assumption that the wormhole will go in a straight line from the direction where you open it,

A straight line? In space? You are asking an awful lot there, Colin! Just ask Einstein!

I read about this in New Scientist, ages ago. You don't create just one wormhole entrance. You create identical twins. One stays at home. The other is sent up in a rocket to where ever you want to go. You step in one come out the other.

Simple really.

I'm operating on the assumption that the wormhole will go in a straight line from the direction where you open it, in a distance proportional to the amount of energy you put in.

The whole point of wormholes is that they connect two points in spacetime distance and directionally independent. From my understandings (I'm not a trained cosmologist) the wormhole can be thought of as a stepping across the "gap" between two points rather than going around. Imagine we live on the surface of a sphere but are forbidden to leave the surface. A worm hole would be shorter distance to be achieved by tunnelling (not in the quantum sense:) ) . The difference with the universe is it is not 2-d curved into three, but three-d curved into four (possibly more depending on who you listen to).

The whole movement in time aspect relies on keeping a wormhole open and taking one end away at the speed of light and returning back. The time dilation effects of near speed of light travel means that different amounts of time have passed for the two ends. This means that by entering the end that stayed on earth you travel backwards in time. The only problems with this are:
1) You need to construct a near light speed means of transporting a worm hole end.
2) You need to construct a sustainable wormhole.

On the plus side it does provide a mechanism whereby you cannot travel back beyond the construction of the first time machine, and thus explains why unexpected major world events (i.e. 11/09/01) are not always crowded out with time tourists.

From what I've heard there are several theories on wormholes, some of which require you to make an entrance at each end, others being more vague as to where the other end pops up. All I want is a way to get somewhere in an amount of time that would allow you to get back before your children had grandchildren. Preferebly while your tea was still warm :)

tzb57r said:
On the plus side it does provide a mechanism whereby you cannot travel back beyond the construction of the first time machine, and thus explains why unexpected major world events (i.e. 11/09/01) are not always crowded out with time tourists.

An interesting corollary of this is that we may be able to deduce when a travellable wormhole has been created if we are suddenly surrounded by crowds of confused and gawping tourists.;) (Though only if we are somewhere/sometime interesting.)

tzb57r said:
....and thus explains why unexpected major world events (i.e. 11/09/01) are not always crowded out with time tourists.

Unless we can't see them simply because they don't exist yet.

Perhaps we are just one end of a wormhole that went wrong. :eek:

The tourists would not want to be seen, as that wd alter the interesting behaviour of the natives. Given what it takes to do a wormhole, shields that keep them invisible wd be a cinch. They must be crowded around each of u interesting blokes right now, and every second of your day, filming everything u do for the amusement of the folks back home.
.....wave at the camera.....
and....given the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics, there is a parallel world wherein right now, the tourists decide to become visible to you, and then, charmed by your ways, decide to take u back home to, um, er, their palace in the next bubble cosmos.

Adjusting the mathematics applicable to black holes can provide a variant interpretation under which black / white hole dyads (and the 'wormholes' connecting them) might well be stable.
Wormholes may be viable shortcuts through space-time after all, new study suggests

Wormholes, or portals between black holes, may be stable after all, a wild new theory suggests.

The findings contradict earlier predictions that these hypothetical shortcuts through space-time would instantly collapse.

The sea change comes because tiny differences in the mathematics of relativity, which is used to describe such wormholes, end up dramatically changing our overall picture of how they behave. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/wormholes-may-be-stable-after-all

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract from the pending research publication. The draft paper can be downloaded at the link below.

Infall time in the Eddington-Finkelstein metric, with application to Einstein-Rosen bridges
Pascal Koiran
To appear in International Journal of Modern Physics D
Subjects: General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology (gr-qc)
DOI: 10.1142/S0218271821501066

The Eddington-Finkelstein metric is obtained from the Schwarzschild metric by a change of the time variable. It is well known that a test mass falling into a black hole does not reach the event horizon for any finite value of the Schwarzschild time variable t. By contrast, we show that the event horizon is reached for a finite value of the Eddington-Finkelstein time variable t′. Then we study in Eddington-Finkelstein time the fate of a massive particle traversing an Einstein-Rosen bridge and obtain a different conclusion than recent proposals in the literature: we show that the particle reaches the wormhole throat for a finite value t′1 of the time marker t′, and continues its trajectory across the throat for t′>t′1. Such a behavior does not make sense in Schwarzschild time since it would amount to continuing the trajectory of the particle "beyond the end of time."

SOURCE: https://arxiv.org/abs/2110.05938

Wormhole is created inside a quantum computer that 'teleported' a message from one side to the other
The first-ever wormhole, a theoretical passage that creates shortcuts in space-time, has been created inside of a quantum computer in a breakthrough that could lead to the first observation of one in space.
While this tunnel is not through actual space, scientists made it by simulating two black holes in the system, one on each side, and used it to 'teleport' messages.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...um-computer-teleported-message-one-other.html

Back