• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Worms Of Unusual Size

A

Anonymous

A few worm facts:- The giant Australian earthworm grows up to 15 feet long and can travel through its burrows as fast as a man can walk. The largest earthworms are found in South Africa, the biggest one was found in the Transvaal and measured 22ft long, and there have been reports of worms even longer than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bootlace worm

Hey all

The bootlace worm can grow 50 metres long and is supposedly the longest living thing on this planet, well that what I heard from the leprachauns!!!!!!

You don't have to go to Mongolia to find huge worms:

On a trip to Brazil, James found Fimoscolex sporadochaetus, a fairly ordinary-looking pinkish-gray worm whose demise had been greatly exaggerated. In fact, it had simply gone underground in 1969 and hadn't resurfaced in the presence of an earthworm scientist since.

"Our position on these extinctions is that they are more likely to be off the radar than off the planet," James said. Buoyed by this realization, he hopes to go hunting for another elusive Brazilian worm, Rhinodrilus fafner, which measures an impressive 6 feet in length but is equally reluctant to slither up to a taxonomist.
That's not all. A sighting in Washington state of the giant white Palouse earthworm Driloleirus americanus, which can stretch to 3 feet long and smells of lilies, sent shock waves through the earthworm community last year. If the Great White Worm was back after nearly 20 years in hiding, what else might still be out there?

James has been watching the destruction of rare earthworm habitats with dismay. If their forests and swamps disappear, the worms may vanish, too.

"On the other hand," he said after the sighting of the Palouse worm, "who knows? One of these creatures could show up in the corner of a soccer field. Stranger things have happened."

iht.com/articles/2007/04/25/opinion/edworm.php
https://web.archive.org/web/20080724140520/http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/25/opinion/edworm.php

uair01 said:
...which can stretch to 3 feet long and smells of lilies, sent shock waves through the earthworm community last year.

The earthworm community? :roll:

How lame would their parties be??

Human_84 said:
uair01 said:
...which can stretch to 3 feet long and smells of lilies, sent shock waves through the earthworm community last year.

The earthworm community? :roll:

How lame would their parties be??

Well, I suppose when you reproduce through parthenogenesis you really don't have much need for flirting. Your social life just sort of atrophies. :-D

Oh I thought the earthworm community was people who are die-hard earthworm fans.

Gippsland giant earthworm

1280x720-Dhx.jpg

so here is something that a bunch of menbers may find very disturbing and unsettling:
http://www.cracked.com/article_25247_a-giant-worm-was-found-it-turns-out-theyre-very-common.html
yes ridiculous big worms exist , and their scientific name is "Digaster longmani" and officialy they only exist in australia in humid, swampy locations
HOWEVER
there have been reports of even bigger earthworms in japan, and those reports are of an very fortean nature...
the entire affair is here: http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/03/the-mysterious-giant-worms-of-japan/
WARNING:BOTH ARTICLES HAVE IMAGES THAT WILL CHURN YOUR STOMACH

hmm was the merge necessary? anyway thw title of this thread should be changed to "worms of an unusual size"

hmm was the merge necessary? anyway thw title of this thread should be changed to "worms of an unusual size"

More recommended than necessary. There's a longstanding issue of too many redundant threads on the FTMB, making it difficult to find all the relevant postings on a given topic.

As to the title issue - post a re-title request in the 'Help with Re-Organization' thread (Website Issues section).

More recommended than necessary. There's a longstanding issue of too many redundant threads on the FTMB, making it difficult to find all the relevant postings on a given topic.

As to the title issue - post a re-title request in the 'Help with Re-Organization' thread (Website Issues section).
ok

Ancient giant worms.

Around 20 million years ago, giant ocean worms may have burrowed into the seafloor and burst forth like the space slug from Star Wars to ambush unsuspecting fish.

Ancient underground lairs left behind by these animals appear in rocks from coastal Taiwan, researchers report January 21 in Scientific Reports. The diggers may have been analogs of modern bobbit worms (Eunice aphroditois), known for burying themselves in sand to surprise and strike their prey.

The burrows are trace fossils — evidence of animal activity preserved in the geologic record (SN: 6/15/14) such as footprints (SN: 4/27/20) or even fossilized poop (SN: 9/21/17). These newly reported fossils were first spotted in 2013 at Taiwan’s Badouzi promontory by paleontologist Masakazu Nara of Kochi University in Japan. More turned up later amid the otherworldly rock structures of Yehliu geopark, a popular tourist attraction that was once a shallow ocean ecosystem 20 million to 22 million years ago.

From 319 fossil specimens, the team was able to reconstruct the burrows. The animals drilled L-shaped paths into the seafloor, leaving a funnel structure at the top that looks like a feather in vertical cross sections. The burrows were about 2 meters long and 2 to 3 centimeters wide. ...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/giant-bobbit-worms-burrow-fossils-seafloor-ambush-prey

I have a couple wormeries but this year found the biggest earthworms I've ever seen in a part of the garden not far from a worm bin (biggies were earthworms not composting worm escapees). And within days of finding one or two massive earthworms, a series of molehills appeared for the first time ever, on that bit of garden... Not sure if they were attracted by the big earthworms or my wormery.

If I'd known we had a giant worm thread, I'd have photo'd one! I think they can live upto 5 years or so, so will have to go hunting and see if I can find one again (unless the moles got to them).

New Zealand Boy Catches Absolutely Giant 3-Foot Earthworm

“I grabbed it with a stick,” Barnaby Domigan, age 9, of New Zealand [said]. “I thought wow, what an amazing discovery. I thought it was massive and amazing and a little bit disgusting.” Barnaby found the 3-foot-long worm while playing in his family’s garden after school. There’s water running through their property near Christchurch, the largest South Island city in New Zealand.

301517996_10161061510071412_7349151302855817270_n.jpg

More than 7,000 types of earthworms exist worldwide. They range in length from a few inches to a few feet. In New Zealand, where Barnaby found the massive nightcrawler, there are 171 species of native earthworms.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/boy-catches-giant-worm-new-zealand/

maximus otter

Back