• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wormwood: Name For Diverse Items Of Interest

A

Anonymous

Has anyone heard of any experiments, or aircraft or anything else that is or has the name of or is related to the word wormwood?, sorry just a quick quesion and i figured if anyone knew it would be you guys

I found this interesting little snippet online just now:

Planetoid (Wormwood)

Beyond Pluto astronomers believe there is a ring of ice chunks
circling the solar system 37 to 59 A.U. from the sun. They have called the ice belt the Kuiper belt. Beyond that astronomers say there is a similarly composed Oort cloud which forms a sphere around our planetary system that stretches two light years in distance. A tiny red spot of light was recorded in Hawaii in October of 92, which is thought to be the first component of the Kuiper belt ever observed.

The object was named 1992 QB1. It is about 200 km across and 5.1 billion km away from the sun (41.2 a.u.). The object is fairly red, suggesting a surface rich in organics. The current position is, for 0h UT on September 15, 1992: 0h 00.09+0d 01'.7 (2000.0). It is moving retrograde at only 3" per hour. David Jewitt and Jane Luu discovered it using the University of Hawaii's 2.2-meter telescope on Mauna Kea. They have been searching for such an object for the last five years.

The first images were secured August 30, but just as with the
discovery of Pluto in 1930 the discovery was kept "under wraps"
for awhile to allow a better assessment. Jewitt believes it to be one of the larger members of the Kuiper belt. Jewitt says that it will take two months to confirm the object.

Another theory involving the planetoid comes to us from channelers. It is a hollowed out body that was moved here by the Reptoids, in order to transport an army of Grays or Reptoids. [sorry, I'm not sure which, I haven't had a chance to research this in-depth] It is now parked outside the orbit of Pluto. It is currently being used as a base by the Reptoids.

Then there is also the theory that the planetoid may be the star that is mentioned in the Bible as "Wormwood" (also translated as "bitterness"); which when the "third angel" in the book of Revelation blew his trumpet, fell to the earth and poisoned one third of the earths waters. Another interesting fact is that "chernobyl" (as in the Nuclear power plant in "Russia" that had a meltdown) in Ukranian also means Wormwood.

I tried googling on Wormwood, experiment and a couple of other words and found, besides references to Chernobyl and some pesticide, this page.

There are several reference links to a Wormwood topic there, and I've only had time to briefly look at the first one, but it seems to involve top secret computer files, the Hubble space telescope, and the comet Hale-Bopp...

Of course, it may all be a load of pants, but I shall be going back later to find out more!

Later:
I've now read through the posts on that link, and they ARE pants - but very high quality Fortean pants, complete with buttons, zips and designer labels.

Apart from HST and the comet, you will find conspiracy theories, the Vatican and the Pope, and a city in space.

I wasn't on line in 96, so I missed all the fun!

The folk-rock band Fairport Convention used to record on the Wormwood label for a while, one of their albums is called 'The Wormwood Years'.

Carole

This is going back to a Newsnight episode from about 1989 (yeah, I know, what the hell was I doing watching that?)

Anyway, the Russian church or similar was in panic because someone had translated Chernobyl into Greek (the language the last part of the bible was written in) and found that is was the same as the Greek translation for Wormwood. There's apparantly a passage in the Revelations of St John that goes on about a star called Wormwood exploding and poluting the land, just like Chernobyl, and it's to do with the end-game to the appocalypse.

Thought this fact might cheer someone up.

duhh . . . scrub what I said about Fairport Convention, it was actually Woodworm Records . . .

Sorry

Carole:eek:

Never mind, Carole, it gave me a good laugh.

Forget Freudian slips, you made a Fortean slip!

yeah, that is the reason i've asked you guys is cause i got interested in the topic in my bible class. at the moment we are doing reports on the book of revelation and in one part of the book it talked about when the angel blows his trumpet a star named wormwood falls to the earth and burns up 1/3 of stuff and ya know the usual, anyway i was thinking if the end times are near there has got to be something out there named wormwood at the moment. cherynobl is very interesting, i'll have to mention that to my bible teacher
thanks guys

Red Dalek said:
This is going back to a Newsnight episode from about 1989 (yeah, I know, what the hell was I doing watching that?)

Anyway, the Russian church or similar was in panic because someone had translated Chernobyl into Greek (the language the last part of the bible was written in) and found that is was the same as the Greek translation for Wormwood. There's apparantly a passage in the Revelations of St John that goes on about a star called Wormwood exploding and poluting the land, just like Chernobyl, and it's to do with the end-game to the appocalypse.

Thought this fact might cheer someone up.

Yea and verily, I am cheered. Thanks a bunch. What with this comet and that Mad Sod Hoon threatening to nuke everybugger, that's really lifted my spirits...

An interesting article on the Black Water, Jack.

Reading it, I got the impression that an awful lot of people were saying "Someone should check this out", but no-one actually seemed to be doing anything.

I'd have thought that real keen red-blooded researchers would have jumped in feet first (so to speak) on something as interesting (and potentially of major importance) as this.

They'll be sorry when when this slime decides to climb up out of the ocean...

Wormwood and dead water

Wormwood is also used to make vermouth. At a guess (as a linguist) vermouth is of romance origin, and means "green opening".
The large area of Dead Water could be a huuuge area of dark green slime, which, if it finds it's way into an estuary, would transform the latter into a "green opening".
Which came first, the martini or the slime?
I think we should be told.....

Anyone remember the cartoon Pirates of Black Water?
This comes at the same time as the desert doing it's damnedest to eat Beijing...if I didn't know better, I might be worried...

Green openings don't bear looking into! I had assumed that Vermouth
or Wormwood was a straightforward description of a bitter vermifuge.

But Skeat gives ware-mood as the English? equivalent of the Dutch
wermoet and defines it as a preserver of the mind, a preventer of
madness.

Absinthe, traditionally high in wormwood, was said to drive people
bonkers. So some difference of opinion on that subject. :confused:

James Whitehead said:
Absinthe, traditionally high in wormwood, was said to drive people bonkers.

ISTR that absinthe was a favourite of the Toulouse Lautrec-type artist set in Paris towards the end of the 19th century, and that it was blamed not only for several cases of madness, but for a degenerative eye condition that lead many of them to use extremely bright colours - any artists care to enlighten me?

here is what it says in the bible revelation 8:10-11 this is what John saw in his vision

"then the third angel sounded his trumpet and a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch , and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the sprins of water. the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood and many men died from the water because it was made bitter."

it also goes on to talk about other plagues, and in chapter 15 and 16 it talkes about all the oceans of the world turning to blood and killing all the sea creatures in it, and all the springs and lakes of fresh water turning to blood. this is all quite weird, any more ideas on any of it?

Wormwood semantics

James Whitehead - my guess at the derivation of the word was just that (and an opportunity for a cheap dig at a marginally disgusting drink) - I'd trust Skeat's definition if I were you; I certainly would!:D

I'm inclined to find this one rather suspect, though I know it's a long-standing story.
I have no idea what wormwood is called in Russia &c, but I've never heard of the Chernobyl area being famed for the plant. Blasted landscapes yes, psychoactive weeds no.
I do know that chernobog refers to some kind of Russian black god and that if you ask for a "cherni' or somesuch in a bar out east-Europe way you tend to get a litre of dark beer rather than lager for your 50p. Based on this, I'm guessing that the name Chernobyl translates as dark-something-or-other; I'm feeling too lazy to look into it any more precisely at the moment.

Calvin's teacher in the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon strip by Bill Watterson is called Mrs Wormwood.

For What It's Worth

At the time the nuclear reactor exploded at Chernobyl, the media all translated it as Wormwood, but never gave a derivation - that I recall. Remember, however, that Russian words tend to have at least two meanings, plus local dialect slants and spins. Anyone know anyone from the general area?

A Teaching Prerequisite

Bizkit - I believe the teach in CALVIN & HOBBES is called Wormwood to denote how bitter she is.

Wormwood, I've always heard that, in English the name is purely descriptive. You had worms - you took an infusion of wormwood.

Brewer also reports that "The tradition is that this plant sprang up in the track of the serpent as it writhed along the ground when driven out of Paradise." Certainly it's stem writhes about.

It also has the English name of Silver King.

Re: A Teaching Prerequisite

FraterLibre said:
Bizkit - I believe the teach in CALVIN & HOBBES is called Wormwood to denote how bitter she is.

Dammit- are you telling me there's no religious significance to the great C&H? Knackers! :p

The Way of All Fleshpots

bizkit - Oh, I dunno, religion so often leads directly to bitterness, doesn't it?

Just an update on chenobyl/wormwood thing, it is Ukranian for mugwort, same family, different plant :D

Back