• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Worst Movie EVER?

Anti-Baftas: the 22 worst British films of all time...

1. Konga (aka I Was a Teenage Gorilla) (1961)

konga-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqRp36Ti1MFCYr8PMuS2fHb17hoDUspm84EYl8tHPMRlk.jpg

Konga, aka I Was a Teenage Gorilla
“Fantastic!” cries the star of this early Sixties King Kong rip-off. “There’s a huge monster gorilla that's constantly growing to outlandish proportions loose in the streets!” Mad botanist Michael Gough is responsible for the beast’s creation, having conducted some dubious experiments on a chimpanzee; the result is the sight of London – which bears a remarkable resemblance to Croydon High Street – being laid to waste by a stuntman in a second-hand gorilla costume.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/04/14/anti-baftas-the-22-worst-british-films-of-all-time/

You make that sound like a bad thing...

Worst movie ever - Devils Rejects violent for the sake of being violent, walked out on it.
The Italian Job remake is plop too.

It was Lynrd Skynrd's Freebird, not The Beatles' Free as a Bird that climaxed The Devil's Rejects. It was also the most groaningly unsubtle choice for a deadeningly unsubtle film, Rob Zombie has a real love for horror but it expresses itself in the most thumpingly idiotic methods. I haven't seen his latest clown movie, but everyone hated it. More enthusiasm than smarts. Seems like an all right guy, though.

..a deadeningly unsubtle film...

Rejects was, of course, a homage to the deadingly unsubtle 70s and 80s straight to video American horror movies. That was the point.

Like pretty everything much Zombie has done it was, for me, so-so.

Last edited:
Yeah, Zombie worships at the altar of vintage trash, nothing wrong with that but look at what Astron-6 do, for example, with the same inspiration that manages to be a lot more provocative and imaginative.

Yeah, Zombie worships at the altar of vintage trash, nothing wrong with that but look at what Astron-6 do, for example, with the same inspiration that manages to be a lot more provocative and imaginative.

In "House" and "Devils" I reckon there's about 20 minutes between them of some really high quality and inspired work. The cop/Slim Whitman scene in "House" is just brilliant. The last minute is inspired- beautiful and powerful -

In general though, he's not that great. In regards to both his music and his film-making I always think he must have had some friends in high places, or some lucky breaks, or some dirt on someone high up. Rarely has someone with such limited talent in all these fields been given the kinds of deals and opportunities that he has.

Don't know Astron-6, will do some research, thanks

Don't know Astron-6, will do some research, thanks

Astron-6 revel in bad taste which may be a dealbreaker for some, but they reach some pretty inspired heights at times. They can be chaotic as their multitude of ideas crash up against each other, but I am looking forward to The Void, which is their latest project.

I don't think Suicide Squad is the worst movie ever but i liked this:

Most unexpected new hyphenate of the night
That has to go to the newly accurate phrase “the Oscar-winning Suicide Squad”. Yes, that’s the truth. The Searchers didn’t get a single Oscar nomination, but one of last year’s most reviled films won an Academy Award for best hair and makeup. It almost felt like an amusing joke on the film-going community. Star Trek Beyond was robbed, my friend. Robbed. ...

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/f...e-award-for-grumpiest-loser-goes-to-1.2990662

A thousand thankyous, Naughty, that chat show clip was a formative experience of mine, I totally remember watching it and thinking it would be great to see those movies. It took me three decades to see Gamera vs Zigra, for example - the bit where Zigra gets a rock stuck on his nose is embedded in my memory banks. Of course, Michael Medved seems quite sensible there, how times changed. Not sure about Russell's "monster face", though.

Kong Island - no appearance of Kong, and not set on an Island. That's false advertising, and it got my hopes up! Just two guys in cheap gorilla costumes menacing (but not convincingly) a group of big game hunters in Kenya.

Perhaps in the future the Greasy Strangler will be a worst film
It has its fans, but this guy might agree with you -
Watching The Greasy Strangler is like staring at a puddle of cold vomit for an hour and a half. It's a thoroughly unrewarding way to spend your time, you start to sense it contaminating your very soul and I came away feeling soiled and dirty (and not in a good way).
http://streetrw.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/the-greasy-strangler.html

Woah, that does not deserve to be on this thread! I laughed in all the right places! I was never a fan of The Mighty Boosh, but Julian Barratt has been doing some really interesting film work since it finished.

Woah, that does not deserve to be on this thread! I laughed in all the right places! I was never a fan of The Mighty Boosh, but Julian Barratt has been doing some really interesting film work since it finished.

Totally agree and I loved the Mighty Boosh.

No it looks great to me. I also like how the guy who played the fake Howard Moon in Boosh is in it.

And it has a serial killer using coloured string, clothing pegs and black and white photographs of his victims to decorate his house.

I recently looked-up Polanski's What? which is generally regarded as a low-point in his oeuvre. I saw it when it was nearly new but time has erased the memory. Researching it brought up a film I have not seen:

"A man with Down [sic] syndrome smashes a snail, at which point another snail arrives and (in the voice of Fairuza Balk) despairs over the death of her fellow gastropod. (It is unclear whether the snails were acquainted or whether the second one's anguish is merely general.) Then Crispin Glover himself appears as a kingly fellow in some kind of fantasy underworld, possibly as the conscience or inner psyche of the snail-killer. Glover has a minstrel. Glover plays a record that is very, very racist. Then there is a man in blackface who wants to be an invertebrate, and to that end injects himself with snail juice. Then a praying mantis kills a snail and a retarded person . . . "

I gather this film is called "What is this?" which dates from 2005. :huh:

Last edited:
I've seen worse but the Sandra Bullock/ George Clooney film Gravity got on my nerves ..

Cliff hanger scenes are supposed to be used sporadically instead of one after another from beginning to end ..

Clooney's 'helluva a guuyy' accent got on my nerves as well as his pointless hallucination reintroduction that was almost as bad as the talking dinosaur in the helicopter in Jurassic Park 2 ..

She floated around a bit with dramatic music, went in and out of modules, actually survived freestyling back into the earth's atmosphere (yeah .. right ..) ..

She was able to swim in her face space suit after miraculously landing in that big lake ..

The Mrs says I was slagging it off in the cinema, she's re watching it as I type .. it's still unbelievable and lazily written shite IMO.

Classic bad movie featuring RUN DMC and the Beastie Boys. Directed by Rick Rubin, who thankfully went back to record producing. I do have fond memories bunking off school and renting this out... it's a laugh riot in places. One for Swifty maybe!

Back