• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Worst Movie EVER?

I remember Alex Cox introducing the film on TV and saying the way her motorbike never moved from side to side made it look suspiciously like she was indeed on a trailer - like Sid Vicious in The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle was how he described it. He wasn't wrong.
Of course she was on a trailer. What, you think the production will risk its star on a bike in proximity to a camera truck? Only Steve McQueen, who was a professional stunt rider, got to actually ride the motorcycle. Even Tyler in the closeups in LOTR was on a dummy horse (which she was pretty funny about). My initial barrier with the Wonder Woman pix is the costume. Really, you plan to successfully fight bad guys in a bustier ? It's so absurd and totally male-oriented that I have always just looked to see what's next on the list.

My initial barrier with the Wonder Woman pix is the costume. Really, you plan to successfully fight bad guys in a bustier ? It's so absurd and totally male-oriented that I have always just looked to see what's next on the list.
Well, it's meant to be based on the comic books and appeal to the superhero genre fans, so double-whammy there with the accentuated breasts and arse.
Like armour in fantasy games, it's not meant to be practical.
Having watched the first WW after browsing my TV box for summat to watch, I quite enjoyed it. I'm no fan of the genre - too much CGI turns me away - but the acting was good and it had moments of humour.

I saw an interview with Colin Farrel where he said the highlight of his career was making the movie Alexander. The lowlight of his career was seeing how that movie was recieved. Quite right, such a terrible movie.

I saw an interview with Colin Farrel where he said the highlight of his career was making the movie Alexander. The lowlight of his career was seeing how that movie was recieved. Quite right, such a terrible movie.

Colin gets a lot of stick, it seems to me, but he's actually very self-deprecating and funny with it. But no, Alexander is a slog.

Horribly miscast in that film. Pitt as Achilles - yep. Farrel as Alexander - WTF?
Different films, of course. One is vaguely historical, whereas Pitt plays Achilles in a take on Greek Mythology. Troy is hardly a great movie, either, but it's enjoyable enough if you just go along for the ride.

Eric Bana is excellent in Troy. Brian Cox makes a better Greek than Brad Pitt does :D

When I watched Alexandra on DVD I was quite impressed it began in the middle of the story and hit the ground running, no faffing around... Then it ended less than 90 minutes later and I was confused... wasn't this some extended Director's Cut..? Then I realised the film had been spread over two discs... and I had played Disc Two first... :meh::meh:

Does anyone else remember the 'little boy who's dying' genre of films that were popular in the late 70's to early 80's? .. my sister used to devour them when she couldn't get Airport '78, '79 or '80. The only title I can remember off hand is 'The Last Snows Of Spring' .. little boy with a terminal disease dies at the end but his approach to life inspires everyone along the journey .. he dies on a fairground carousel in the arms of his Father who he's secretly been raising money for (as you do when you're about 7 and dying of a terminal disease), we know this because his little hand lets go of the string attached to the balloon he was holding at the end and it floats up into the sky just like his soul and makes my sister start crying.

You could rent them out from early independent video rental shops and they'd usually have a sticker on the sleeve with something like 'AS SEEN IN WOMAN MAGAZINE' ... Christ those were pants and depressing ..

Does anyone else remember the 'little boy who's dying' genre of films that were popular in the late 70's to early 80's? .. my sister used to devour them when she couldn't get Airport '78, '79 or '80. The only title I can remember off hand is 'The Last Snows Of Spring' .. little boy with a terminal disease dies at the end but his approach to life inspires everyone along the journey .. he dies on a fairground carousel in the arms of his Father who he's secretly been raising money for (as you do when you're about 7 and dying of a terminal disease), we know this because his little hand lets go of the string attached to the balloon he was holding at the end and it floats up into the sky just like his soul and makes my sister start crying.

You could rent them out from early independent video rental shops and they'd usually have a sticker on the sleeve with something like 'AS SEEN IN WOMAN MAGAZINE' ... Christ those were pants and depressing ..

Films like this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_in_the_Plastic_Bubble - this was massive when it came out, although I think he possibly surivives.

Sorry! I don't!

I finally tracked down the Flash Gordon parody Flesh Gordon. I'll report back on that when I've viewed it Probably won't be for about a week though.
There is a flesh gordon 2 lol
I went to the cimema with a couple of mates to watch 'Last Man Standing' Bruce Willis in a prohibition era remake of 'A Fist Full of Dollars', unfortunately we went on a wednesday and the film wasnt out until thursday, as we wete there anyway we decided (badly in hindsight) to go see 'Escape From New York' the sequal to 'Escape From LA' starring Kurt Russell, what a steaming pile of horse manure that was, i know i have seen worse films, anything from Asylum studios for example, but they know they are bad, this film actually took its self seriously and it was truely awful, just my opinion of course, im sure there are some people that think its great (but they are wrong lol)

I went to the cimema with a couple of mates to watch 'Last Man Standing' Bruce Willis in a prohibition era remake of 'A Fist Full of Dollars', unfortunately we went on a wednesday and the film wasnt out until thursday, as we wete there anyway we decided (badly in hindsight) to go see 'Escape From New York' the sequal to 'Escape From LA' starring Kurt Russell, what a steaming pile of horse manure that was, i know i have seen worse films, anything from Asylum studios for example, but they know they are bad, this film actually took its self seriously and it was truely awful, just my opinion of course, im sure there are some people that think its great (but they are wrong lol)

other way round.

I have the dubious distinction of owning VHS copies of both 1 and 2. The first, in my humble opinion, was superior i.e. mildly titillating. The sequel was playing on the 'popularity' of the first.
The dying child in the disaster movie trope was ridiculed masterfully in that great 'disaster movie' critique ... Airplane!

I have the dubious distinction of owning VHS copies of both 1 and 2. The first, in my humble opinion, was superior i.e. mildly titillating. The sequel was playing on the 'popularity' of the first.
The dying child in the disaster movie trope was ridiculed masterfully in that great 'disaster movie' critique ... Airplane!
That bit with the singing nun with the guitar knocking out the child's oxygen line in Airplane! was great. The dying child thing went past trope and into mini genre.

I think Airplane! was incredibly funny at the time because it hit all the tropes of the disaster movies in the day. It might be said it dates the film but I also think some of it's absurdist humour is timeless.

I can imagine Zardoz is on this list.
Yep, it's very, very strange and to my tastes too 'arty'.
But, at my time of life, I hold it dear as Connery's costume is one I can easily construct and wear (under protest from others) as cosplay.

'Battlefield Earth' – The Making of the 'Worst Movie of the 2000s'
“It was a shit concept with a shit book and a shit script that should never have been made,” says the film's executive producer.

The director says the team aspired to make the first “pulp science film”. Travolta called it “Pulp Fiction for the year 3000”. He also reportedly called it “the Schindler's List of science fiction” and “like Star Wars, only better”, which may not have helped its fortunes.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5bkm9/battlefield-earth-making-of-john-travolta

Oddly, the YouTube channel Cinematic Excrement has recently put up a re-visit to Battlefield Earth.
I can highly recommend Sean's channel, the original and this new iteration.

Oddly, the YouTube channel Cinematic Excrement has recently put up a re-visit to Battlefield Earth.
I can highly recommend Sean's channel, the original and this new iteration.

I remember reading the paperback of Battlefield Earth when it came out, in the early 80s. Looking back, it was rather overblown and much too long, but teenage me quite enjoyed it! Hubbard's... er, other ideas went completely over my head at that age, and I read the book as the pulpy entertainment that it was.

Even at the time, though, the promise on the cover "Soon to be 2 major motion pictures" seemed quite ambitious, though I was almost tempted to buy the soundtrack to the book (on cassette) that was advertised within!

Apparently, a sequel was discussed - with Travolta well up for it - but the "adults in the room" realised it'd be money down the drain.
For me, it's not so much the theoretical setting but the actual plot.
At the core, the whole Psychlo race was incredibly badly conceived. Getting past the thing of the psychlo "breathing gas" (Hubbard's attempt at using the word 'atmosphere') being explosive in contact with radiation - bloody awkward with suns and natural substances - not being a deterrent to harvesting a plantets gold, highlights Hubbard's simplistic world-building.
You're taking over planets to gather what?
Gold.
Well, what d'you do with it?
Er.

Apparently, a sequel was discussed - with Travolta well up for it - but the "adults in the room" realised it'd be money down the drain.
For me, it's not so much the theoretical setting but the actual plot.
At the core, the whole Psychlo race was incredibly badly conceived. Getting past the thing of the psychlo "breathing gas" (Hubbard's attempt at using the word 'atmosphere') being explosive in contact with radiation - bloody awkward with suns and natural substances - not being a deterrent to harvesting a plantets gold, highlights Hubbard's simplistic world-building.
You're taking over planets to gather what?
Gold.
Well, what d'you do with it?
Er.

It was rubbish I watched about 10 minutes.

Back