• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wrist Watches Cause Loss Of Strength

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Years ago I caught part of interview on The Big Breakfast. Johnny Vaughan was talking to a guy who stated that wearing a wrist watch can weaken a person's strength. They then did some tests and I remember Johnny was pretty shocked and surprised that the tests seemed to back the guys theory.

Now I was getting ready for work so it was on in the background and so I never gave it that much attention.

Anyone else remember this?

Is the theory correct?

They certainly could cause loss of muscle definition and restriction of muscle growth in the wrist. When the wrist muscles grow in size, if they encounter something that appears to stop further movement, then no further growth will happen in that immediate area.
I don't think it would make you weaker overall.
It's a bit like what happens with trees. If you tie something tightly around a small sapling, as it grows, it will stop growing in the area that has been tied.

No I dimly think it's to do with electromagnetic activity of the watch. Although tiny the guy reckoned it interfered with the nerves of the body or something.

It sounds unlikely to me. Who's going to hitch the strap so tight it causes physiological problems? (Apart from masochists, of course!)

I thought this might be about quartz watches affecting your biorhythms or something. Perhaps we should wear tin-foil under our watches? ;)

Yeah it does seem unlikely but unless it was April fools Johnny Vaughan was gobsmacked by it.

Maybe you could counteract the ill effects by also wearing one of those magic magnetic bracelets? ;)

I bought one of those, all BNWT in a box, from a car boot sale for about £1 a couple of years ago. Was going to give it to Techy as a jokey golf accessory (they are marketed to golfers) but my son swooped on it instead and triumphantly bore it off to CERN.

Magnets, y'know. He found it very funny. :D

As rynner's also said .... and my watch strap is so loose, I'm wondering when Bob Geldof is going to start getting worried. The other one's Titanium but the clasp is broken, I've found a Japanese website that will send me another clasp for under three pounds .. the strap's worth about a hundred so I can't afford to throw it away ..

SHIIIIIIT....... I wear a fitbit AND a heavy duty watch on the same wrist. Good job I am right handed.

I can't wear a watch at all, they just simply stop working after a few hours.

I can't wear a watch at all, they just simply stop working after a few hours.

I get the exact same thing! My whole immediate family does, actually. Now that I think of it, hardly anyone on my mother's side of the family wears a watch at all, because they go on the fritz almost immediately.

On a different, but perhaps related note, the radio in any of my mother's cars will go awry after a few weeks. It will work just fine when she buys the car, but the signal will slowly fade until all the radio will pick up is static. This has happened to every car she's had within my memory. It doesn't seem to happen to anyone else in the family though.

Used to happen to my mother as well. No watch would last more than a couple of days, though she would continue to wear them if they looked nice. She did know she had to wind them up :)

Does that apply to watches of all types? Mechanical and electronic?
Good old fashioned mechanical last slightly longer, but eventually they fail. My mother used to get very cross with me and accuse me of overwinding ( I don't believe I overwound).
I just manage without now. Incidentally the digital clocks in the house seem to randomly lose time, hubby was complaining the clock on his ps4 was slow the other day..I had a chuckle to myself ;)

How extraordinary!
Have you been tested for any magnetism? I mean, maybe you have your own strong magnetic field?
If you do, that creates the need for other questions (because nobody would normally have a strong magnetic field).

Good old fashioned mechanical last slightly longer, but eventually they fail. My mother used to get very cross with me and accuse me of overwinding ( I don't believe I overwound)
What about a mechanical self-winding watch, such as the Seiko Kinetic, or copies of that style of watch?

Or encapsulated digital watches such as the Casio G-Shock family, or again copies of that kind of style?

These devices should be impervious to physical interaction, in the latter case even if you flailed your arms whist sleeping at night against walls, or if you had acidic sweat.

What about fob watches? Ever had one, either a nurse/activity style one?

Let's seriously consider what's ostensibly happening here with clocks: the implication is that just your physical proximity can have an effect upon timekeeping. Clocks that are available within devices that rely upon internetworked connection to operate in other respects (such as gaming consoles eg PS4 and most modern 'smart' phones) rarely use their own internal Real Time Clocks (RTC). In the case of your family Playstation, it may be getting its time synchronsation from a Sony gaming server out on the internet, with the changes you report as seeing being magnified by regional settings options being set wrongly (or conflictingly) within the PS4.

Often modern devices will pull what is a timing reference from utility Network Time Protocol (NTP servers) on the internet or in the case of out-of-house devices that use the mobile networks, the provider network itself can generate the time reference. Alternatively, some devices such as sports fitness wristbands can take their time sync from the GPS satellites themselves: infrastucture aside, this is a very straightforward and reliable method.

The point being made by @Mythopoeika about your own magnetic field is very good, and it should be possible to test just with cheap compasses. Emission of paramagnetic fields from biological entities would normally be immeasurably-small, but if for some currently-unexplicable reason you were unusual, and truly exhibiting such an effect (and, assuming such a phenomenon was strong enough to affect a clockwork wristwatch) this would be detectable immediately with just a standard outdoors activity navigating compass. So would you please test yourself?

But such a personal power (whilst attractive, if proven) would not have an effect upon solid-state electronic anythings, such as digital watches or battery powered clocks.

To be honest Ermintrude I've not worn a watch in many years, so haven't tried any of the above mentioned. I rely nowadays on my smartphone (it never goes wonky in a time related manner). Incidentally I do get a high number of static shocks, had to be very careful when handling p.c components and allways had an anti static wrist strap. I will endeavour to find a compass and do a little test :)

The point being made by @Mythopoeika about your own magnetic field is very good, and it should be possible to test just with cheap compasses. Emission of paramagnetic fields from biological entities would normally be immeasurably-small, but if for some currently-unexplicable reason you were unusual, and truly exhibiting such an effect (and, assuming such a phenomenon was strong enough to affect a clockwork wristwatch) this would be detectable immediately with just a standard outdoors activity navigating compass. So would you please test yourself?

But such a personal power (whilst attractive, if proven) would not have an effect upon solid-state electronic anythings, such as digital watches or battery powered clocks.

Good points about clocks in other electronic devices, Ermintrude. The clock on this very computer has perfect time, so obviously I don't effect it.

I'd never thought about the compass before. This is very interesting, because I can't use a compass either. Not for lack of trying, mind you. They always go awry, even if they are brand new. I thought I'd just had terrible luck finding a working compass! Again, this applies to other family members as well. My mother (of the malfunctioning radios) had a compass in her car at one point; despite being brand new, it was worse than useless.

Ulalume, do you have issues with static build up? It was a running joke in my office (when I worked) my colleagues would poke me with one finger to get a zap..
wasn't much fun when the bean bag burst, took me ages to get all the polystyrene balls off myself. (sorry drifting off topic)

The clock on this very computer has perfect time, so obviously I don't effect it.
If you're using a traditional computing device that boot-starts into an operating system (so, Windows/MacOS/Linux etc) this will have a classic internal Real Time Clock with a backup battery, all in support of the pre-boot BIOS. The operating system itself will then give you the option (or apply a default) to rely upon that time reference, or to take it from the internet, again influenced by regional timezone settings that will have been applied when it was first awoken within your locale.

@Ulalume , please do also try a simple test with a few basic cheap compasses, to establish whether or not you exhibit an anomalous biogenic magnetic field.

My suggestion might even be that you could make up say four saucer/water/floating pin improvised compasses, and place them to your own local front/rear/left and right (rite?) upon small wooden or plastic tables in the yard (look mom, no hands!)

You would obviously be at the centre of the [strikethrough]pentacle[/strikethrough] cross, and by observing the deflected movement (or not) of the pins, we'd find-out whether your own emitted field could counteract that of the geomagnetic poles (note that a coin or keys or jewelry could do this, as could piercings/dental brace or fillings, clothes fastenings/zips etc). So wear a shapeless shift and rope sandels (webcam optional :D)

If you're using a traditional computing device that boot-starts into an operating system (so, Windows/MacOS/Linux etc) this will have a classic internal Real Time Clock with a backup battery, all in support of the pre-boot BIOS. The operating system itself will then give you the option (or apply a default) to rely upon that time reference, or to take it from the internet, again influenced by regional timezone settings that will have been applied when it was first awoken within your locale.

@Ulalume , please do also try a simple test with a few basic cheap compasses, to establish whether or not you exhibit an anomalous biogenic magnetic field.

My suggestion might even be that you could make up say four saucer/water/floating pin improvised compasses, and place them to your own local front/rear/left and right (rite?) upon small wooden or plastic tables in the yard (look mom, no hands!)

You would obviously be at the centre of the [strikethrough]pentacle[/strikethrough] cross, and by observing the deflected movement (or not) of the pins, we'd find-out whether your own emitted field could counteract that of the geomagnetic poles (note that a coin or keys or jewelry could do this, as could piercings/dental brace or fillings, clothes fastenings/zips etc). So wear a shapeless shift and rope sandels (webcam optional :D)

Will do. Sounds like an average day in this house, anyway. :p

Will do. Sounds like an average day in this house, anyway. :p

Be sure to always take turns as to who's to clean-up the chalk sigels off from the basement floor. And crystal skulls are on special at JC Pennys!

Let us know if a demon appears.

Demons àpparently dislike ferrous metals, so by extension, a biomagnetotropometric experiment should be fine. But if Iron Man shows up for tea, tell him you've got family around.

I do weight training on a regular basis and I have a visible dip/dent on my left wrist where my watch has retarded the muscle growth.
My left arm is stronger than my right arm so not sure about the loss of strength.

Do you lift pints with your left?

I stopped wearing watches back in the mid 1980s - also would go haywire on me (Old fashioned, wind-up ones). I last wore one at a house party and the ring I was wearing - solid silver - snapped and my watch broke. The same night one of my friends died in a car crash driving home (stone cold sober) after the party. It just felt like such a bad luck thing - never wore one again. Not so unusual now people use their mobiles. But I had a long while back there where I was unusual, never wearing a watch.

Back