• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wrong Numbers

Vida Loca

Devoted Cultist
Just wondering how many members have experienced bizarre, interesting or amusing phone calls by mistake. Either you making them or receiving them. Got the idea from the FB Messenger thread. Would love to read your stories...

If this has already been covered my apologies still finding my way around on here,

There's no thread specifically dedicated to wrong numbers, but there are multiple It Happened to Me (IHTM) stories (and associated threads) involving wrong numbers.

Yes, I wanted to get rid of a arm chair so, I phoned what I thought was a shop that took them,
Me "Do you want a armchair?"
Posh woman"Um no thank you, I have just bought a suite"
Me "Sorry, I seem to have the wrong number..............are you sure you don't want a arm chair?"
The woman just started to laugh
Probably not that funny to others

Other one

Me: Hello
unknown
UK:Is Mr Walls there?
Me: No
UK: Is Mrs Walls there?
Me: No
UK: Are there any Walls there?"
Me, irritated: No there are no Walls here"
UK: Then how is your roof staying up?
lots of furiously giggling down the phone from multiple nutters on the other side, my friends started laughing as well as they were at the side of me, it was in the days of house phones :p

Yep, it is copied properly LOL Your dad was funny

Thanks for letting me know, Shady!

The caller reacted with such good humour when he learned the truth that I can't help but wonder if he thought my dad was a lonely shut-in who had nothing better to do than carry on conversations with people who dialled the wrong number.

Thanks for the link GingerTabby. Trust me to start a thread on a subject already covered.

This happens quite a bit as t'Board's been running for many years. Not a problem! If someone does it they're usually pleased to find other people's similar stories to read. Posters have been ASTOUNDED to learn that their personal strange experiences are by no means unique to them.

Get stuck into the weirdness and have fun!

One of mine.

OP - Hello
Me - Hello
OP - Got a bit of a problem ( gasp)
Me - Oh dear sorry to hear that... what's wrong?
OP- I need you to help me... ( gasp)
Me - What's wrong? How can I help you? ( not knowing who the heck it is but hearing a commotion in the background)
OP- Well... ( gasp) I have chained myself in protest to the front of a lorry and the Police are here... (gasp)
Me - PARDON? ( background noise has got louder to include a Police siren)
OP - I said...( gasp) the Police have just arrived (gasp) ...I am chained to a lorry... ( gasp) so can you get hold of X and tell them what has happened? ( gasp)
Me - ( ruling out it is a prank call as the sirens are in the background) I am sorry who is this please?
OP - ( gasping in panic) It's me...XX... I am doing my protest...can you get X to come down and help me, bring some mates and get hold of the Press... ( gasping and panic in his voice)
Me - I am so sorry I can't help you as you have the wrong number
OP - Oh **** sorry to disturb you I must have misdialled ( gasp)
Me - No problem I hope you get help - Bye
OP - ( more gasping and pandemonium breaking out his end) So sorry...Bye

I have no idea who it was, where they were or indeed what they were protesting about and I could not find any news about it. I admit that even though it was very wrong of me after the bemusement wore off I roared laughing for ages.Shame on me.

One of mine.

OP - Hello
Me - Hello
Me - What's wrong? How can I help you? ( not knowing who the heck it is but hearing a commotion in the background)
OP- Well... ( gasp) I have chained myself in protest to the front of a lorry and the Police are here... (gasp)
OP - I said...( gasp) the Police have just arrived (gasp) ...I am chained to a lorry... ( gasp) so can you get hold of X and tell them what has happened? ( gasp)
Me - ( ruling out it is a prank call as the sirens are in the background) I am sorry who is this please?
OP - ( gasping in panic) It's me...XX... I am doing my protest...can you get X to come down and help me, bring some mates and get hold of the Press... ( gasping and panic in his voice)

I have no idea who it was, where they were or indeed what they were protesting about and I could not find any news about it. I admit that even though it was very wrong of me after the bemusement wore off I roared laughing for ages.Shame on me.
Classic! That's a good one!

One of mine.

OP - Hello
Me - Hello

That would make an ace funny start to a short weird film .. I might even nick it if you don't mind ..

Be my guest Swifty.

Shady that is a relief to know as my humour used to get me in trouble at times. My Mother always used to tell me off and say I had a sick sense of humour like my Dad. LOL My Dad and I used to roar laughing or shoot each other bemused knowing looks and turn away all depending on the situation.

James someone in gmail has been getting invoices for some electrical work I had done last year.
I offered to pay on the day but he said that he thought the plumber who had hired him would pay him otherwise he would email the invoice.
The plumber charged quite a bit more and I thought he had been paid but last week he finally rang me and for some reason he had sent accounts to gmail instead of Hotmail so got him to send the account and I paid it straight away.

Because I got into Gmail early I have a very basic [email protected] address. I get mail for all sorts of people with the same name as me, most memorably for one who is a missionary in Polynesia.
I share my name with a Harley Street anaesthetist. If I was still in the UK I'd be very tempted to RSVP to some of the champagne receptions he gets invited to.

Someone in the Netherlands has received photos I intended to send to a family member -- nothing racy, but I find myself wondering what it was like to get them.

Well, you will fit in here just fine, I think most on here have a humour that has more warp than the Enterprise
There is more warp than woof as well, which is one reason I keep coming back.

I may have shared this before. A couple of years ago my mum, who was 78, told me she had a strange text and what should she do. It read 'hi sexy. want to talk dirty?' . I told her that it must have been a wrong number. There were no repeats of the text.

Mine just the other afternoon.

This was a call through to the mobile phone supplied by my workplace, so no name associated with it, definitely not mine.

Caller; Hi, this is **** from (some financial company name), could we discuss your life insurance cover?
Me; Errr.....who do you think you're speaking to?
Caller; (repeating the original enquiry but sounding confused) well....this is **** from (some financial company name), could we discuss your life insurance cover?
Me; (again) Like I said....who do you think you're speaking to?
Caller hangs up.

I've had calls over the several years I've worked there, on and off, sometimes none for months, then several over the course of a few days, usually asking similar things but asking for a chap by the name of Derek Walker. Nobody of that name works at, or ever worked at, the place I work. However, weirdly, I did have a school friend (35+ years ago) called Derek Walker.

My partner has a funny reply for some of the cold callers he bothers to answer the phone on.

He'll answer with, "Hello. This is <insert some random place name> cemetery. You kill em, we cook em"

They tend to put the phone down pretty sharpish! :cfire:

I hate those cold callers. I often take them waaay off their practiced 'script' and then they get in a heck of a mess LOL:D

Back