• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The X-Files

Buffy - fantastic. It ran through 7 seasons, with only one season being weak imo - the seventh. Fave season for me would be the 6th with the Three Nerd villians.

X-Files - another greeat show, watched it from the begining. Ran out of gas after the film came out, which seemed to push the direction of where the show SHOULD go, but instead the big alien mystery kept twisting ans twisting. I would rather they gotten rid of Mulder & Scully at the end, and just stayed with Reyes & Doggitt... or better yet, just continue the Lone Gunmen, which was great. Season 9 shows that Reyes and Doggitt could have carried the series.

Ah ha. I can barely stand x-files and buffy is unwatchable. Does that make me a eunuch. :tongue:

Well not eunuch necessarily....

Mighty_Emperor said:
Mighty_Emperor said:
lordboreal said:
I just saw at least one X-Files DVD box set on Amazon for £12.99 (series one, didn't check the others) so now might be the time to shop around.

Yeah Season 1 is real low (thats 7 discs)!!! and is a similar price at Play.com. as it is at Amazon:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002 ... ntmagaz-21

One thing to watch out for is that they have been redone and rereleased with M-Lock packaging (I have seasons 7, 8 and 9 like this) - it works nciely, is compact and seems more secure (I'm getting sick of returning Anchor Bay DVDs where the hinge has broken). You can see a piccie here if you scroll about half way down:

www.sleevetown.com/multi-dvd-case.shtml

Its important as the difference in price can be substantial £12.99 vs £64.99 apparently!!).

The prices on the other sets aren't as low (2 and 3 are on Play for £29.99 and £24.99 and £17.99 respectively at Amazon - £29.99 and £17.99 appear to be fairly standard at Play and Amazon respectively).

Well hush my mouth - looks like they are slicing more off the top.

Play.com have a big sale with all £13.99:
www.play.com/play247.asp?page=promo&R=r ... k=Bargains

Amazon.co.uk have reposted with some good low prices - 1 is still £12.99 but the others are:

• 2 - £15.99
    3 - £12.97
    4 - £12.97
    5 - £13.99
    6 - £13.99
    7 - £13.99
    8 - £13.99
    9 - £13.99

I reckon with some quick shopping around that'd come in at £121.92 for the lot - a saving from the RRP of £192.99 :)

Well double hush my mouth - Play now have the bally lot for £12.99 each (that is £116.91 for the set:

www.play.com/DVD/DVD/RBGN/2-/2125/2-/Promo.html

The Millennium season sets are £14.99 (same price as Amazon have 1 and 3 but quite a bit off 2).

Buy all from the US Amazon. Cheap. Also, they deliver using parcel force who seem to never charge any export tax stuff. Strange, but there you have it. My ex gf and myself got sooooo much trek, buffy, angel, star gate, x files etc that way. Hurrah

Sorry to bump an old thread - does it become "exhume" rather than "bump" after a certain period? - but it occurred to me the other day that, whereas some crap gets repeated endlessly on UK terrestrial TV, I can't remember when I last saw The X-Files or Millennium repeated in this country. As for the Lone Gunmen series, has that ever been shown here, or has Chris Carter pissed someone off so badly that he's become persona non grata?

I was chatting with (younger than me, admittedly) friends at work the other day, and they had only a vague awareness of The X-Files, which amazed me. OK, so in the later series, it did disappear somewhat up its own fundament, but for the first 5 or 6 series at least, it was essential viewing. It's hard to believe that there are folk "out there" too young to have been entranced by that weird music, and drawn into tales of alien conspiracy and monsters-of-the-week!

Funny how quickly we all forget - mind you, a few months ago, we were all raving about Lost, and now - silence. I wish I were a TV scheduler: I'm sure I could frustrate and disappoint the viewing nation for much less money than the current incumbents!

Oh, and just to let everyone know that my lovely collection of X-Files videos is still up for grabs over at Fortean Exchange. Come on, someone out there must still own a video recorder!

X files is on all the time on cable. I think some really odd channels are showing it as well. UK Gold maybe?

Ah well, there you go then: I've only got Freeview, so that's why I'm missing out.

Mind you, apart from the bought videos that I'm looking to sell (I may have mentioned that already), the other day I found about 6 tapes full of episodes copied from the TV about 10 years ago. I've probably got most of seasons 1-3 in there! It might be time to re-watch some of them. Although the official X-Files videos are great, they do tend to focus on the alien conspiracy stories, and some of the other types of story, such as the above-mentioned monster-of-the-week shows, or the people-with-strange-powers type of show, hardly get a look-in, and it would be nice to see some of the more quirky stuff again.

I love the X-Files. I miss it dearly. Until the seasons after the movie it was the best thing on earth to me. Television will never be as good again in my expectation. Mind, i admit that i've had three rum punches tonight already, but that should be of no account. I still love the X-files in all it's original, untainted splendour. (Dog-git and Reyes can rot in hell imo. they are not the x-files and never could be)

New X-Files movie.

Site wont let me quote from it so here's a screen grab of some of it...

xfile.jpg

Personally I can't stand the programme.

Oh, the ignominy! The X-Files on page 7 of "Fortean Culture", along with other gems like "Firefly". It's not right.

Anyhow, having previously moaned about the lack of X-Files on free-to-air British TV, I've found in recent weeks that FTN (or one of those other odd channels that Freeview throws up) are re-showing old episodes. They're still on Season 1, so Duchovny & Anderson look ridiculously young, but I've caught some great episodes on there recently. With any luck, they'll work their way through the whole 8 series over the next weeks and months. And yes, I did say 8 series, thank you very much. So there you are - Tuesdays, 10pm, on FTN (soon to be called Virgin 1, by all accounts).

While on the topic of theX-Files, I watched "El Mundo Gira" from season 4 last night on DVD (Poundland special!), and it was notable for the use of two words in particular:
1) Mulder used the word "Fortean" about, I don't know, fourteen times (isn't there a magazine called something similar?) in 10 minutes - it was Fortean this, Fortean that, you couldn't move for Forts!
2) Everyone kept banging on about the "Chupacabra". I thought it was "Chupacabras", singular or plural, on the basis that this creature sucked more than one goat. Is it me, or have the X-Files made a howler?

Anyway, this thread's back on page 1. For now...

Well now, that's opened a can of worms. Most people will tell you that "Chupacabras" is the correct Spanish term. But a lot of Spanish language websites actually spilt it into two separate words: "Chupa Cabras" - sometimes capitalised, sometimes not. Or occasionally they hyphenate it: "Chupa-Cabras".

I guess you're going to have to go to Mexico and find out once and for all.

(A friend of mine, incidentally, tends to call the wretched beast the "chuba-chuba-cabris". I've given up correcting him as I actually prefer his version.)

Peripart said:
Anyhow, having previously moaned about the lack of X-Files on free-to-air British TV, I've found in recent weeks that FTN (or one of those other odd channels that Freeview throws up) are re-showing old episodes. They're still on Season 1, so Duchovny & Anderson look ridiculously young, but I've caught some great episodes on there recently. With any luck, they'll work their way through the whole 8 series over the next weeks and months. And yes, I did say 8 series, thank you very much. So there you are - Tuesdays, 10pm, on FTN (soon to be called Virgin 1, by all accounts).

Let me know when they get to season eight, because the only episode I ever missed was part of that one. Bloody snooker.

The important point about the chupacabras is that cabras - with an s - is the word for goat. Whether you make it one word, two, or hyphenated it, it breaks down as "that which sucks on goat." "Cabra" isn't a word.

The S gets dropped in American because a) people in the Spanish-speaking parts of the country tend to not pronounce the final letters of words anyway (I myself have a number of words I tend to elide, though I'm a professional grammar witch at work) and b) Americans can't get over the notion that a terminal s on a noun = plural. I don't know whether you British have that problem, or if you caught it from us. We can't just call it a goatsucker because it sounds too much like one of the seven words you can't say on television unless you're on HBO, and because that's a classification of bird.

I'm willing to call the mangy canids chupacabra if it'll preserve the term for the original, monstrous chupacabras.

Thanks for that, Peni - OK, so my Spanish is close to non-existant (despite having studied it briefly at school), but I was right in thinking that the beastie's name ended in an "s", but hadn't figured on the Mexicans in the show not pronouncing the final letter! So, in fact, it was just the sleeve notes on the DVD that were wrong.

As for the British and their reaction to odd singulars & plurals, it's probably similar to what you find over there. I heard a newsreader the other day refer to "criterias". I'd like to say I was shocked and surprised, but it wouldn't be true.

I picked the first season up in Virgin for 20 quid having not watched the programme in years, & ended up watching the entire season over 5 nights & remembering how much I loved the programme.

I've bought up to season 5 now & it's coming back to me as to how the programme amazed me as it kept up it's quality for at least five years; something quite incredible for an American drama series at the time. I think I've seen only a handful of post-Mulder episodes & really disliked them but I'm interested to watch them in order to give them a second chance.

Peripart said:
Anyhow, having previously moaned about the lack of X-Files on free-to-air British TV, I've found in recent weeks that FTN (or one of those other odd channels that Freeview throws up) are re-showing old episodes. They're still on Season 1, so Duchovny & Anderson look ridiculously young, but I've caught some great episodes on there recently. With any luck, they'll work their way through the whole 8 series over the next weeks and months.

I bloody well hope they do - I'm still waiting for Five to show the second series of Twin Peaks, ten years after they screened the first... :evil:

Something that has been troubling me lately, as I got the first two seasons for Christmas. What on earth is this thing?:

xf.jpg

The nail/beak thing grows out of that flap. Obviously it's spooky but what is it? :shock:

Hmm, I must not have reached the episode about scary beans yet. :)

When I was a kid I was always confused as to what that was - I used to think it was some sort of liquid pouring out of something.

But yes, having gone back and rewatched the entire series recently, I'm now fairly certain it is some kind of seed germinating. That "flap" is the same as the little lumpy, triangley thing you get on chickpeas.

From an interview with Paul Rabwin, X-Files co-producer:

"Rabwin spoke some on creating the opening titles. First he remarked that the Pilot episode did not have the title sequence like every other X-Files episode simply because it wasn't ready. He said that they had gotten down to the day before they were supposed to be on-air with "Deep Throat" and they put in shots that they had not planned to use. He remarked about the scene with the seeds germinating -- he said that they found that footage about an hour before they were supposed to deliver the main titles. They had been looking for something organic. They had ordered stock footage from a film library, but the footage had been marked (with the library name or with a time-stamp of some type) so that it couldn't be reused. Since they didn't have time to go hunt down the original, unmarked footage, they cut-out the bad part and doubled the good side so it would fill up the screen, resulting in the mirror imaged footage we are so familiar with in the main title."

I always thought it was an oblique reference to Uri Geller, who can, apparently, make seeds germinate simply by holding them in his hand.

Speaking of the X-Files opening sequence, does anybody know what the hand moving over blue symbols part is supposed to be? Always curious about that.

crossetti said:
Speaking of the X-Files opening sequence, does anybody know what the hand moving over blue symbols part is supposed to be? Always curious about that.

It's an air traffic control radar display.

Hey so I picked up all the seasons of the x-files as I used to watch it when I was a kid with my dad and I believe this show accounts for most of my mistrust of the government and my wild and zaney belief that the governments of the world have information in regards to alien life on earth and cover it up with operations such as the black ops of the men in black type departments minus will smith and the other guy ;)

Did anyone else use to watch this show and be freaked out by all the crazy stuff during the UFO episodes where they would retell of experiences of having your teeth drilled and abductions?

I've been rewatching them.

Am halfway through Season 5.

Was a massive fan when it first started and have seen Season 1/2 so many times but can still go back and watch them.

Later seasons I didn't watch as religiously but did still see them all.

It's great watching the early seasons and spotting the stars of the future.

Lucy Liu, Ryan Reynolds, Jack Black, a few guys out of 24... that's the ones I remember off my head.

Season 1 was gold, I felt it tailed off though over time. Still great TV though.

jubecrew said:
Hey so I picked up all the seasons of the x-files as I used to watch it when I was a kid with my dad and I believe this show accounts for most of my mistrust of the government and my wild and zaney belief that the governments of the world have information in regards to alien life on earth and cover it up with operations such as the black ops of the men in black type departments minus will smith and the other guy ;)

Did anyone else use to watch this show and be freaked out by all the crazy stuff during the UFO episodes where they would retell of experiences of having your teeth drilled and abductions?

Its so easy to blame films tv shows on how people see things,but would add with the likes of the MOD keeping files from the public it dont help but add to the belief that the governments of the world have information in regards to alien life on earth.

If you like the X-files,then you should watch the film (THE FORTH KIND)

I have BT vision broadband TV service (bit like SKY), I set Xfiles onto series record in 2008 and by the end of 2009 I had watched it all (allbeit not in order). Then BT vision put X files on demand so you can watch it whenever. The wife showed an interest and now we are watching it all in order!

The first 2 seasons are superb but then it starts to trail off.

I don't think there is any link between the xfiles and my views on government/national organisations.

Back