• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Well, he was tripppppping balls, which was amusing. Even though they were placebos. (or were they, that's the fun of X-Files.

Yeah, some things about that sequence made me wonder if Mulder was really meant to be hallucinating that it was 20 years in the past (the lone gunmen, the clothes and music, for instance) or if it was just poorly designed and it just happened to look that way.

I'm also glad they didn't change the opening/theme. If they had, I would have gone all *Hulk smash* on the new series :p

The music is an all time classic, but I think they could have updated it a little. It sounds quite simple and old fashioned compared to modern theme music, even though it was unique and uber-cool in its day.

Mark Snow has remixed the theme quite nicely for the end credits.

The only 'updated' aspect that really bugged me was Mulder's introductory voice-over, apparently to explain the whole premise in a few seconds to those wholly ignorant viewers who surely don't exist anyway? It seems to be a common thing now, several fairly long-running series use it as part of the intro.

Reactions: Doc
The only 'updated' aspect that really bugged me was Mulder's introductory voice-over, apparently to explain the whole premise in a few seconds to those wholly ignorant viewers who surely don't exist anyway? It seems to be a common thing now, several fairly long-running series use it as part of the intro.

This happens in the start of each episode of the new series of Highlander, too. Annoying.

Episode 3: ah, Darin Morgan, how we've missed you, that Bionic Woman reboot was a waste of your talents. And nice to see some proper 90s morphing effects too. Well done for the Queequeg mention, man, that pooch got a raw deal. Anyway, funny episode, probably the best so far.

Yes, poor Queequeg!

Loving this series, and loved last night in particular. Guy Man was brilliant. Mulder and Scully have just slotted right back into their roles with none of the awkwardness you sometimes get when actors play people they haven't played for years. Big thumbs up from me. :clap:

Rhys Darby is always a pleasure to watch. It's a puzzle why the lizard man had a kiwi accent (at first I thought there might be a tuatara connection, especially with the third eye suggestion. Was that a deliberate bit of misdirection?) The episode was delightfully plot-holey and silly, just what was needed after last week's fairly intense offering.

Yep, episode three was a riot, clever, sly, self-referential in a non-serious way, loved it. More please.

I wondered if maybe that's how people in America spoke 10, 000 years ago! I hadn't heard of the tuatara before though. I hope that is part of the explanation!
Ten fun facts about the tuatara. Of particular note, they live in New Zealand, they're unusually long lived (although they usually move very slowly), they have a third eye (of sorts), and although they look like lizards, they are the only extant representatives of a separate, ancient lineage of reptiles.

Problem with the mythology this mini-season has been that they've almost crammed a full seasons worth of conspiracy arc into two episodes.

I imagine episode 1 and 6 is what some of the earlier seasons could have been like if you just edited together all the snippets of conspiracy arc from a 24 episode season.

The story they told in two episodes would have been good told over seven or eight episodes within a 24 do season.

I suppose there is no chance of a full season 11 but I really enjoyed this little return to the XF world.

Maybe a 12 episode season for number 11?

I read Chris Carter has confirmed it will be back, but no other details yet. Early days, I suppose.

Watched the final episode. With a cliff hanger like that, they must come back with new episodes.

I read Chris Carter has confirmed it will be back, but no other details yet. Early days, I suppose.

I saw an online article (probably on a TV news site; I can't seem to find it now ... ) in which some Fox exec claimed the notion of further micro-seasons like this one is definitely on the table for discussion.

Carter salted this 2016 set with plenty of loose ends, new beginnings, etc., that were pretty obvious continuation-bait. I didn't expect him to get so blatant as to wind up with such a colossal cliffhanger, though ...

Didn't feel there was much of a resolution to this week's episode on Channel 5. I liked the episode, but it all felt a bit up in the air at the end.

To be fair, a lot of the original episodes were like that, to preserve the mystery of the premise, leaving them baffled instead of a Scooby-Doo, big unmasking ending. Felt sorry for Scully, very nice performance from Gillian Anderson. Not much of a role for the actress playing her mum, though.

Watched the final episode. With a cliff hanger like that, they must come back with new episodes.
I watched episode 6 last night. It wasn't so much a cliff hanger as a
grand plot revealing, whistle-blowing, illuminati revealing, earth shattering, mind bending, alien meeting, DNA fiddling
hanger!

Will they be back? I want to believe.

Enjoyed Episode 4 myself. The idea of a trash tulpa was amusing and it was all nicely played.

Enjoyed Episode 4 myself. The idea of a trash tulpa was amusing and it was all nicely played.
The idea reminded me of a short story I read years ago, about a creature that self-assembles from the stuff in a sewer.
Can't remember what it was called now.

I have to say, I loved this week's The X-Files on Channel 5. It was playful while dealing with our society's most difficult issues. I haven't so enjoyed an hour of telly for some time, and I didn't expect to be saying that about The X-Files in 2016.

It was good, wasn't it? Brave to tackle a real life conspiracy subject that could have been crass in the context of a sci-fi/horror show, but they were very thoughtful and even allowed some humour. Great to see Lauren Ambrose again, and The Lone Gunmen were indeed back, and it wasn't a cheat. Achy Breaky Heart makes a change from White Rabbit, I suppose.

Yeah, last night's episode was excellent, although I had a quick look on Twitter where the reaction overall seemed quite negative.

Overall one of better revivals!

I'm with you guys above, I thought it was entertaining stuff. A stoned Mulder line dancing to achy-breaky heart was the highlight of my day and a difficult topic was sensitively handled. The use of a 'ersatz' young Mulder/Scully was a neat joke and well played out.

"Agent Einstein", indeed. Should have been corny, but somehow was brilliant!

Back