• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Jose Chung's from Outter Space is next in line for my season 3 watching marathon!

Just re-read the episode description online and it doesn't ring a bell. Who knows, hopefully it's one of the odd few I've never seen.

Overrall though season 3 does seem to be the best of the 9.

linesmachine said:
Jose Chung's from Outter Space is next in line for my season 3 watching marathon!

Just re-read the episode description online and it doesn't ring a bell. Who knows, hopefully it's one of the odd few I've never seen.

Overrall though season 3 does seem to be the best of the 9.

Both Jose Chung and Clyde Bruckman were written by Darin Morgan, a bit of a genius who never really took off as a big name, though he has been involved with sci-fi TV since. He also wrote two of the best, most eccentric Millennium episodes, one of which also featured the Jose Chung character.

"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" is quite possibly the best, most realistic evocation of what Fortean investigation is all about and really like ever. Certainly it's never been surpassed in fictional TV for that purpose. It's like a distillation of The Mothman Prophecies, absent that uneasy sense that authors can lie, too.

Too bad they couldn't get Johnny Cash to play the MIB.

hey, i didn;t play D&D for all thoe years without learning a thing or two about courage :D

That's not to say that there weren't still great, quirky stories in the last couple of seasons, but the overall story arc seemed to take over more and more of the plotlines. To be honest, all the Scully's baby / shady conspiracy stuff was a bit of a yawn-fest for me.

Agreed - I always preferred the "monster of the week" episodes. The alien conspiracy stuff was quite promising to begin with, when it was just hinted at, but once it was out in the open was boring and lacked credibility.

I have the first three seasons on DVD and I agree that, fashions aside, it's aged really well.

The lone gunman can be downloaded, that world trade center episode will never be shown on TV again or sold on dvd ever, so thats probably the only way you will see it. I have been watching every X files in order, i like the monster of the week ones best too. I really like that "FBI headquarters" is Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, and that cities Sky Train metro can often be seen in the background, no matter where they are supposed to be.

The not-100%-resolved ones, with a single tantalizing shot before the credits of something unseen, unknown or lurking for the future were my favourites.

"Oh my god, it had babies!"
"The mayor's one too!"
"It's going to happen again, but BIGGER?"

That kind of thing. :D

The lone gunman can be downloaded, that world trade center episode will never be shown on TV again or sold on dvd ever

soz to contradict you but I have the complete lone gunmen series on DVD - bought, IIRC, from amazon in the UK.

the commentary track for the twin towers pilot ep is fascinating.

makes one wonder why anybody ever claimed that nobody could imagine anyone hijacking an airliner and flying it into the twin towers, when it had been shown on US TV only months before.

Sorry i just assumed it was never on dvd. I stand corrected

Mal_Content said:
makes one wonder why anybody ever claimed that nobody could imagine anyone hijacking an airliner and flying it into the twin towers, when it had been shown on US TV only months before.

Something similar happens at the end of Stephen King's 1990s novel Insomnia, so it had precedents. And the plane that flew into the Empire State Building years ago, but that was an accident.

gncxx said:
....Something similar happens at the end of Stephen King's 1990s novel Insomnia, so it had precedents. .....

There's also the end of The Running Man by Richard Bach (Stephen King), the book not the film.

Also there's the use of plane as a terrorist weapon in the pilot episode of the time-travel series from the 90s, Seven Days, where they crash a plane into the White House.

Timble2 said:
gncxx said:
....Something similar happens at the end of Stephen King's 1990s novel Insomnia, so it had precedents. .....

There's also the end of The Running Man by Richard Bach (Stephen King), the book not the film.

Also there's the use of plane as a terrorist weapon in the pilot episode of the time-travel series from the 90s, Seven Days, where they crash a plane into the White House.

That's right, I'd forgotten about those. It was probably only a matter of time before someone tried it for real, and they didn't need popular fiction to inspire them.

Until tonight I had seen every episode of The X Files except one, the 9th season episode John Doe. This was because of snooker running late and ruining my videotaping of that ep, but thanks to the wonder of streaming video, twelve years later I've finally caught up with it. Let us rejoice at that news.

I don't know if it was worth the wait exactly, this was the last season which has a terrible reputation, but it was interesting for its writing credit of Vince Gilligan, and that it featured a Mexican cartel a decade before his Breaking Bad was such a hit. Oh, and Gillian Anderson obviously couldn't be arsed anymore, she's in two minor scenes in spite of being the star. Anyway, completed it at last!

The X-Files seemed to arrive at a period when tv had a romance with weirdness. I watched most of the first series and glazed over, when it seemed the on-off romance between gerbil-faced leads was supposed to hook us for more of the same.

Access to the whole lot of the X-Files makes me feel a little ungrateful, though I am still working on the early second season. The efficiency of modern tv shows certainly shows up the laziness of olde-tyme B-films. The forty-five minute format is also well-suited to those evenings when concentration might flag.

Has that whistley tune been named as an ear-worm yet? Surely it is one of the worst!

An episode with quite strong material - the vampiric '3', however, had to be re-screened on the grounds that I had snoozed throughout it. On re-screening, just a day later, I found I had been awake for more than half of it but had retained no active memory of it. Proof of my own tiredness, perhaps, or a sign there was nothing fresh there. :?:

What I learned from The X-Files after watching the entire series....

Most American television shows IMHO follow a pattern as the show progresses....

It's like this.

Oh this is new. This is good. This is really good. I can't wait for the next season to start. This season is good. Another cliffhanger, guess I'll wait for the next season. This season is okay. This next season isn't as good. Occasionally it's good. Now it's not so good. This is a crap season. I have to watch to the end now.....zzzzz

But I am eternally grateful to The X-Files for without it I would have endured all of Heroes...Lost...Flash Gordon (re-imangined)....etc...etc...

No I haven't watched The Wire...or Breaking Bad.....

It all depends on believable and well-drawn characters, strength of storylines, and consistently good writing. Now, with programmes such as Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, etc they had a very strong, straightforward, and clear central plotline from which they rarely deviated - and they knew when it was time to call it a day, and how to do so in a satisfying and logical way. It was easier to do in these cases as they were based on real life - ordinary (ish) people in a non-mundane but not-paranormal context. Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and Dr Who (discuss) do have a non-normal theme, but again all stick to a driving, clear narrative. The premise was non-terrestrial, but the narrative was human and believable. Unexpected stuff happens in all the above, but in a realistic way, as it happens to us all to a greater or lesser extent.

The problem the X-Files, Heroes, etc had is that they a) all went on too long, b) had to keep trying to better what they did last week, or last season (so start chucking in more and more outlandish stuff), and c) all at some point start pissing around with labyrinthine conspiracies and /or time travel - at which point 99% disappear up their own arses.

That's my theory anyway.

There's another factor that affects US television series - the vagaries of annual decisions regarding continuation versus cancellation (and uncertainties relating thereto ...).

Dramatic series with extended / complex plot lines can't simply be shut down on short notice. At some point the writers (etc.) have to commit to configuring their work toward either a season finale or a series finale. Such series' writers are recurrently forced to look over their shoulders and second-guess how much time is left.

The last two seasons of _X-Files_ were notably disorganized in large part because neither of them was approved until late in the preceding season. The final season was actually a half-season Fox somewhat unexpectedly approved to give the writers (etc.) a chance to wrap up all the loose ends that had accumulated - including loose ends caused by uncertainties the year before.

The situation was made worse by cross-entanglement with the movies that were generated and the movie project that never came to fruition.

Two recent failures on US broadcast networks illustrate the carnage that can result. NBC's _The Event_ took 'way too long to spin up, and the network cancelled the series entirely about the time it was starting to get coherent enough to warrant interest. As a result, the series simply stopped dead in its tracks, and viewers understandably felt cheated.

CBS' _Under the Dome_ was unveiled last summer as a one-shot 14-episode mini-series. The plot fell apart (and audiences jumped ship) approximately halfway through the anticipated run, around the time CBS surprisingly announced the series would be renewed for another summer run in 2014. My take on the plot disintegration was that the writers had to scramble to generate loose ends rather than the originally planned closure, and chaos ensued.

A similarly unexpected continuation of an ostensibly one-shot series happened with Fox's _The Following_, which unravelled toward the end. I don't know anyone who followed the first season who's bothered to even watch the second one that recently got underway.

Extended series with ongoing complex plot lines are hard to maintain in general. They're almost impossible to maintain when the finish line keeps shifting.

The Following second season is working well. It does have some fans. New cults introduced.

Extended series with ongoing complex plot lines are hard to maintain in general. They're almost impossible to maintain when the finish line keeps shifting.

The Terminator series pretty much got done for by having both the possibility of another season and the number of episodes in season 2 both shifting on a fairly regular basis. I think in the end they just dumped every crazy idea they had into the last couple of episodes just so they saw the light of day.

Aye...there's the nub!

Possibly in all creative art.

It's creative.
Money moves in.
It's shit.

And Duchovny was in Twin Peaks too, so perhaps we'll be seeing more of him.

Access to the whole lot of the X-Files makes me feel a little ungrateful, though I am still working on the early second season.

For my tastes the plot was lost by Season 4.

If you've given up before the end of Season 3, do make a point of watching Jose Chung's From Outer Space, it's possibly the funniest episode ever. Rips the piss out of a lot of stuff brilliantly, including The Stupendous Yappi who is a spoof of Uri Geller.

The only problem with the new Xfiles is that Gillian Anderson now looks younger than back then, but seems to have no movement left in her face :(. How are they gonna explain that?

The only problem with the new Xfiles is that Gillian Anderson now looks younger than back then, but seems to have no movement left in her face :(. How are they gonna explain that?
Won't be a problem. Her acting style in the X Files did not use much in the way of facial expressions or emotions.

It looks like The X Files is on its way back:
http://deadline.com/2015/01/x-files-reboot-talks-fox-1201352465/

Not much to go on, just "talks", but maybe they're hoping to steal Twin Peaks' thunder/jump on its revival bandwagon? I wonder if Robert and Annabeth have cleared their schedules in anticipation?
I welcome this. I watched a few series of The X-Files, I can't remember how many, before the whole lack of resolution seemed to make each episodes redundant. But I'm a different person now. And a friend of mine is an avid fan who occasionally watches the whole lot right through. And I recently saw the second X-Files movie, and although it was nothing amazing, I had forgotten how well scripted it was, how well it dealt with ambiguities (and extremely difficult thing to do if you want to keep the audience interested), and subtle it could be. I think I might be about ready to fall in love with The X-Files again.

I think you're one of about twenty people who remember the second X Files movie, Pete! Also forgotten is how sick even the fans were of the show when it ended, but maybe enough time has passed to re-whet the appetite. Pity they can't bring back The Lone Gunmen.

Also forgotten is how sick even the fans were of the show when it ended, but maybe enough time has passed to re-whet the appetite.

Ah the curse of a television drama. It's good, it's great, it's good, it's okay, it's getting worse, it's just stupid now and finally, oh is it on?

I'm up for 1 season...with one story arc...that does not include a government conspiracy. Send 'em against a cult that way they'd be unlimited goons to off.

Ah the curse of a television drama. It's good, it's great, it's good, it's okay, it's getting worse, it's just stupid now and finally, oh is it on?

I'm up for 1 season...with one story arc...that does not include a government conspiracy. Send 'em against a cult that way they'd be unlimited goons to off.

You're one of THEM, pretending government conspiracies don't exist.

The X-Files was like pizza or sex: even when it was bad it was still pretty good.

Back