• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The X-Files

There was much discussion amongst X Philes (what X files call themselves) about the possible plot of a second feature film. The general consensus was to leave the mythology well alone, mainly because it got far too convoluted for its own good, and to go for a MOW (monster of the week, in other words, a one off creature) story line. 8)

ignatiusII said:
it would be great to see the duo involved in a creepy, no-holds-barred, scare- the-living-hell-out-of the-audience type feature film.

Here...here! That idea gets this x-phile's vote(although I still have a soft spot for alien abduction stories - when they're done right. I'm hopeless :roll: )
Maybe someone should try to bring FT to Chris Carter's attention. Might nudge him in the right direction :D

Just a quick announcement about a new X Files partwork . The publishers Comag will be releasing a partwork The X Files DVD Collection nationwide on January 18th . The collection comprises every episode from all 9 series of the X Files in chronological order , plus the occasional free disc of bonus material . The accompanying magazine aims to answer all your questions about the X Files , conspiracy and the paranormal . It will be released fortnightly and will be available from your local newsagent or by subscription . The partwork will be complete in 49 parts . :D

Don't tell me - buy the first edition for just £1.99 and get this attractive binder free! (normal price £6.99)

Even at a fiver apiece, these are going to cost the dedicated collector the thick end of £250. Hopefully, most fans or potential fans of the series will have noticed the repackaged season sets a bargain prices.

On the subject of partworks like this (whether it be "build your own robot in 200 parts" or "great dog turds of the 20th century") I'd be interested to know what the fall-off in sales is after, say, the 3rd or 4th part. I'm guessing that most buyers are those taking up a new hobby or interest after Christmas, and that the interest wanes as quickly as all our New Year resolutions. Apart from that dog-turd one. That was a top collection!

gerardwilkie said:
Just a quick announcement about a new X Files partwork . The publishers Comag will be releasing a partwork The X Files DVD Collection nationwide on January 18th . The collection comprises every episode from all 9 series of the X Files in chronological order , plus the occasional free disc of bonus material . The accompanying magazine aims to answer all your questions about the X Files , conspiracy and the paranormal . It will be released fortnightly and will be available from your local newsagent or by subscription . The partwork will be complete in 49 parts . :D

Site for this:

www.xfilesdvd.com

Even at a fiver apiece, these are going to cost the dedicated collector the thick end of £250.

I make it just over £385! :hmph:

Don't be too quick to dismiss it - for £8 (£4 for the first issue) you get four episodes and a magazine which, while it probably won't be as good as The Unexplained, still has potential.

Before anyone asks, no I don't work for them and no I probably won't collect all nine series, but it was good to watch the pilot episode again after all these years :)

Jane.

I just saw at least one X-Files DVD box set on Amazon for £12.99 (series one, didn't check the others) so now might be the time to shop around.

I've also seen X Files series dvds for sale in The Works only recently. Can't recall the price but I know that they were really cheap, along with the Buffy and Angel dvds that have been reduced.

lordboreal said:
I just saw at least one X-Files DVD box set on Amazon for £12.99 (series one, didn't check the others) so now might be the time to shop around.

Yeah Season 1 is real low (thats 7 discs)!!! and is a similar price at Play.com. as it is at Amazon:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002 ... ntmagaz-21

One thing to watch out for is that they have been redone and rereleased with M-Lock packaging (I have seasons 7, 8 and 9 like this) - it works nciely, is compact and seems more secure (I'm getting sick of returning Anchor Bay DVDs where the hinge has broken). You can see a piccie here if you scroll about half way down:

www.sleevetown.com/multi-dvd-case.shtml

Its important as the difference in price can be substantial £12.99 vs £64.99 apparently!!).

The prices on the other sets aren't as low (2 and 3 are on Play for £29.99 and £24.99 and £17.99 respectively at Amazon - £29.99 and £17.99 appear to be fairly standard at Play and Amazon respectively).

I think the price has probably fallen due to the complete box set (pity it doesn't seem to have the films in it):

DVD Description

Own all 9 seasons of the multi award winning Sci-Fi/horror drama The X-Files in this bumper deluxe DVD box set. Featuring an incredible 59 discs and over 180 episodes, also included are commentaries by cast and crew on selected episodes, interviews with creator Chris Carter, deleted scenes, special effects featurettes, promotional TV spots and DVD-ROM games. Chart the harrowing adventures of FBI special agent Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) over a nine year adventure the encompasses everything from UFO abduction to werewolves, vampires and practically anything else that goes bump in the night.

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A ... ntmagaz-21

That box just rocks!!!! Although at £220+...

Then again it appears to be over $800 in the US!!!! :shock:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006SH ... enantmc-20

the thought of that complete box set almost makes me wet myself.... almost ;).

I promise myself that when I've got all 7 seasons of DS9 I'll replace all my X-Files video box sets with DVDs...

...Remind me to buy a lottery ticket tomorrow :(

Spookyangel said:
There was much discussion amongst X Philes (what X files call themselves) about the possible plot of a second feature film. The general consensus was to leave the mythology well alone, mainly because it got far too convoluted for its own good, and to go for a MOW (monster of the week, in other words, a one off creature) story line. 8)
Couldn't agree more. I got lost somewhere around the middle of season 6 and never really caught up again. It did disappear up it's own fundament for a longish while, which is why I wouldn't bother personally with the whole shebang on DVD. I'd just stick to the early stuff.

Here here! I only got as far as season three myself! After that it was far too "up it's own fundament" :lol: Although I remember the odd good episode. Millennium was far superior (although probably just cos they stopped at season 3!)

Said it before and i'll say it again - X-files died for me when Mulder left. The magic was just gone. After that there were too many eps featuring a weepy, near-nervous-breakdown Scully suddenly converted to an outright believer trying to convince an agent called Dog something and a vapid one called Rice that the end cometh. And there was absolutely no chemistry anywhere. :imo: I've always been saddened at the way the writers' ideas evaporated never to return, and wondered more than once if CC was on crack. The show came in like a lion but went out like a lamb. :nah:

glamour_dust said:
Said it before and i'll say it again - X-files died for me when Mulder left. The magic was just gone. After that there were too many eps featuring a weepy, near-nervous-breakdown Scully suddenly converted to an outright believer trying to convince an agent called Dog something and a vapid one called Rice that the end cometh. And there was absolutely no chemistry anywhere. :imo: I've always been saddened at the way the writers' ideas evaporated never to return, and wondered more than once if CC was on crack. The show came in like a lion but went out like a lamb. :nah:

Totally disagree, i watched every episode of every series, when Mulder left, the show took a (refreshingly) different direction. I thought it was superb the best thing ever on the telly.

kitsunegari said:
glamour_dust said:

Totally disagree, i watched every episode of every series, when Mulder left, the show took a (refreshingly) different direction. I thought it was superb the best thing ever on the telly.

Wow different strokes eh? :roll: Nice nick you have there though. Are you the fox or the hunter?

glamour_dust said:
kitsunegari said:
glamour_dust said:

Wow different strokes eh? :roll: Nice nick you have there though. Are you the fox or the hunter?

I...I say I....am the huntah....... ;)

I'm tempted to go the "poundshop" route and get the first part of this unmissable collection, and buy subsequent editions only if they appear at £2 to £3. Not that I'm a tightwad, you understand. Only the other year, I bought a first-class stamp, and I've been known to spend, oh, dozens of pounds in a single week!

Back OT, with reference to recent posts, I'd have to plump for the earlier series (up to about season 4 or 5) as my faves. There were more monster-of-the-week episodes, it seemed, and less of the mythology. Don't get me wrong, the X-Files mythology was/is a good one, but it did disappear up its own arse for long periods, with episodes having no beginning or end, and consequently blurring into each other in my memory. Once it became clear that the central story arc was never going to be satisfactorily explained, so my excitement at each new "alien hybrid army of doom" type episode diminished. It's the same feeling I'm getting with Lost, but hopefully we'll get some kind of answers after 3 series rather than 9!

Peripart said:
Once it became clear that the central story arc was never going to be satisfactorily explained, so my excitement at each new "alien hybrid army of doom" type episode diminished.

I thought that it was all tied up in the last couple of episodes?? and before that Mulder had stopped looking for his sister when he knew what really happened to her.

You're right, it was tied up after a fashion. But it didn't really finish the alien invasion story - there was no real "final battle" that viewers might have felt they deserved after 9 seasons - although a few loose ends were tidied up. It left the door open for any future movie to include the alien storyline if it wanted; personally I'd prefer that not to be the case.

I concede your point, though, kitsunegari. The last two episodes were as good as I had hoped. It was the previous 3 seasons that got my goat!

Mighty_Emperor said:
lordboreal said:

Yeah Season 1 is real low (thats 7 discs)!!! and is a similar price at Play.com. as it is at Amazon:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002 ... ntmagaz-21

One thing to watch out for is that they have been redone and rereleased with M-Lock packaging (I have seasons 7, 8 and 9 like this) - it works nciely, is compact and seems more secure (I'm getting sick of returning Anchor Bay DVDs where the hinge has broken). You can see a piccie here if you scroll about half way down:

www.sleevetown.com/multi-dvd-case.shtml

Its important as the difference in price can be substantial £12.99 vs £64.99 apparently!!).

The prices on the other sets aren't as low (2 and 3 are on Play for £29.99 and £24.99 and £17.99 respectively at Amazon - £29.99 and £17.99 appear to be fairly standard at Play and Amazon respectively).

Well hush my mouth - looks like they are slicing more off the top.

Play.com have a big sale with all £13.99:
www.play.com/play247.asp?page=promo&R=r ... k=Bargains

Amazon.co.uk have reposted with some good low prices - 1 is still £12.99 but the others are:

• 2 - £15.99
    3 - £12.97
    4 - £12.97
    5 - £13.99
    6 - £13.99
    7 - £13.99
    8 - £13.99
    9 - £13.99

I reckon with some quick shopping around that'd come in at £121.92 for the lot - a saving from the RRP of £192.99 :)

Mighty_Emperor said:
Well hush my mouth - looks like they are slicing more off the top.

Play.com have a big sale with all £13.99:
www.play.com/play247.asp?page=promo&R=r ... k=Bargains

Amazon.co.uk have reposted with some good low prices - 1 is still £12.99 but the others are:

• 2 - £15.99
    3 - £12.97
    4 - £12.97
    5 - £13.99
    6 - £13.99
    7 - £13.99
    8 - £13.99
    9 - £13.99

I reckon with some quick shopping around that'd come in at £121.92 for the lot - a saving from the RRP of £192.99 :)

Good lord, I may have to replace my ropy Chinese imports bought from Ebay! Emps! I could kiss you!

But I don't think I will (kiss you, that is) ;)

agentbuffy said:
Good lord, I may have to replace my ropy Chinese imports bought from Ebay! Emps! I could kiss you!

But I don't think I will (kiss you, that is) ;)

Ah well - knowing it has helped someone else out too is reward enough. I'm always on the look out for a bargain (if I can get everything half price then I can buy twice as much) but where it is 9 sets like that a few quid saved really adds up and can make an awfully lot of difference.

I've just spent a couple of months rewatching the series and the Lone Gunmen (I won't forgive those who culled that show :evil: ) I've just started season 9, now I'm a fair person, I was fine when T2 arrived, he did a decent job and the show kinda went back to the darker earlier episodes which was a nice change in tone, the chemistry wasn't as strong as DD/GA but again, the stories were engaging enough.....now the problem is Mulder appears to have become a born again christian and Scully is the virgin mary. Did I miss something between 8 & 9 apart from the ladies hair growing a good couple of inches in 48 hours?

I've started to watch the first season after what must have been nearly 10 or 11 years, and, I think I was too young to appreciate it at the time, but isn't the x-files the single most seriously well done serie that ever aired on tv? I mean, I'm watching this again, and I'm totaly submerged by nostalgia. Which isn't normal when you're only 20.

Heck, I might even go as far and buy the dvds. Maybe.

Iggore said:
... but isn't the x-files the single most seriously well done serie that ever aired on tv? ...
No. From American TV that would have been Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I really can watch that one over and over again.

The X Files I found mostly derivative, if not downright plagiarized.
http://www.the11thhour.com/archives/091999/features/muldermass1.html

There's probably only two sorts of people in this World, X files fans & Buffy The Vampire Slayer fans. ;)

WhistlingJack said:
Well I like both, so there :p

Me too so double there :p

I have to say at its peak the X-Files was simply superb but it went off the boil and rather spoilt it for me. Meanwhile Buffy managed to maintain the pace all the way through although it hit a few bumps in the road (and that musical episode is unwatchable).

The World would be a boring place, if there weren't a few who swung both ways.

I still like the musical episode. Especially the dancing demon and Tara's Willow song. But then, I've got '42nd Street', 'Gold Diggers of 1933', 'Dames', 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' and 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' on tape, somewhere. :)

Back