• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Xtreme Xmas

So we're scared of clowns, we're scared of zombies... how long before this obsession makes us generally terrified of Santa Claus?

gncxx said:
So we're scared of clowns, we're scared of zombies... how long before this obsession makes us generally terrified of Santa Claus?
Probably when they show the Doctor Who Xmas special! ;)

In fact, I had a couple of scary moments when watching DW on Saturday. Our TV room has windows on 3 sides, so people outside can easily see if anyone's in there. Sometimes they want to come in (to deliver a parcel, etc) and if they can't make contact via the entryphone they'll bang on the window for attention. (In fact this happened to me just last week. )

Anyhow, during DW I heard intermittent banging, but I couldn't see anyone or anything, and I was beginning to wonder if we have a polt! But then it clicked - someone was having a belated firework night! I could even see the fireworks in the sky through one window.

So all was well. But after I'd relaxed and the fireworks had finished, some more urgent banging started, a real rat-a-tat-tat let-me-in sort of banging! :shock:

It was only bloody Santa, banging on the door of the Tardis! :evil:

A question for you Brits.

I was in a local store(Tuesday Morning, a chain that sells upper end distressed goods) And there I saw a large box of 'Christmas crackers)

I remember reading of these in the old detective yarns I enjoy-but what the heck are they, and how do they fit in with the Holiday celebration?

krakenten said:

I was in a local store(Tuesday Morning, a chain that sells upper end distressed goods) And there I saw a large box of 'Christmas crackers)

I remember reading of these in the old detective yarns I enjoy-but what the heck are they, and how do they fit in with the Holiday celebration?
Fill yer boots!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_crackers

krakenten said:

I am quite surprised that they are not common knowledge over there.

During the war, it was impossible to manufacture Christmas Crackers - they must have needed to conserve all those bangs for the enemy - perhaps the mottoes and hideous paper hats as well.

Our Canadian cousins stepped into the breach and managed to send over a Box for the Christmas table. This was the size of a shoe-box covered in foil, for the very good reason that it was a shoe-box covered in foil. It stood in the centre of the table. The top was covered in tissue paper but underneath there were prizes, each with a ribbon leading to each member of the party. At the appointed time, there was a great concerted tugging and everyone got what they richly deserved. A comb or a toothbrush, in most cases - so I am informed.

The tradition of the Canadian Box continued in the family for decades, long after crackers were available again. Alas, this great, concerted tugging was destined to fall out of fashion eventually. :(

Thank'ee kindly, friends!

We have the same things, but they are a New Year's thing, here.

Baltimore has a serious case of Anglophilia-strange in a very Irish town, where the Royal Navy expended quite a bit of ordinance trying to destroy the place. They said it was a nest of pirates, and it hasn't changed much.

Maybe I'll get a box of them!

Thanks again!

Nightmare before Christmas: Russian lawmaker seeks Monster High ban

A Russian nationalist party lawmaker has asked the government to ban “all foreign produced toys that could affect the mental health of children,” and specifically targeted the Monster High dolls by US maker Mattel.

Konstantin Subbotin (LDPR) who sits in the Lower House Committee for Women, Family and Children told Izvestia daily he had received numerous complaints from parents about Monster High dolls. The main worry was that the dolls were causing “suicidal moods” among the children. Kids buy them, or receive them as presents from other children or swap the toys – all without parents’ consent, he said.

“I think we need an official expertise from competent bodies, explain the situation and issue a warning that would save our children from such toys,” the politician told the newspaper.

He also added that horror-themed toys like the Monster High dolls could be used by those who want to raise the children’s interest in the supernatural.

“Where there is demand, supply appears. If such toys can be found in stores it means that people are buying them. It is abominable, but I have personally met parents who show interest in the occult and attempted to pass this hobby to their children,” he said. ...

http://rt.com/politics/204283-russian-monster-high-ban/

I don't know where to put this but inevitably, after Xmas you will see Hot Cross Buns on sale.
I don't where I got this from but the Hot Cross Bun has nothing to do with the Christian Cross but the design is purely pagan and represents the phases of the moon.

"The cook was Dutch, and behaved as such
and all he would give the crew-ooo
Was a number of tons of hot cross buns
Served up with sugar and glue!"

Vid at link.

Dutch police have arrested up to 90 people as protesters clashed at a traditional ‘Black Pete’ festival in Gouda. Demonstrators view the celebrations as racist due to the character’s traditionally blackened face and Afro wig.

On Saturday, "Sixty people were arrested for demonstrating in unauthorized areas, and 30 for disturbing the peace" during children’s festivities, police spokeswoman Yvette Verboon told AFP.

The demonstrators in Gouda were divided into two camps, both for and against the ‘Black Pete’ character. “Arrests were made on both sides," Verboon said.

Scuffles between people supporting and protesting the historical Christmas figure began when Saint Nicholas came out on to the balcony of the main square and protesters held up a banner, saying: "Black Pete Racism".

The racial debate has been gaining traction in the Netherlands. Many have argued that the traditional Christmas figure, known as Saint Nicholas’ sidekick, is a colonial racist stereotype. ...

http://rt.com/news/205935-dutch-christm ... l-arrests/

So now I have to listen to 'Do they Know it's Christmas' AND 'Band Aid 30 Ebola- we don't want it' song while I'm shopping?

How much do we have to stump up to get rid of Bono for next year?

jimv1 said:
So now I have to listen to 'Do they Know it's Christmas' AND 'Band Aid 30 Ebola- we don't want it' song while I'm shopping?

£500 and its done guv.

jimv1 said:
I don't know where to put this but inevitably, after Xmas you will see Hot Cross Buns on sale...

After xmas? I've seen them in the last month.

ramonmercado said:
jimv1 said:

£500 and its done guv.

So that was you?

The plane door that fell off, and the mystery bike shover...do you have access to a TARDIS?

CarlosTheDJ said:
ramonmercado said:
jimv1 said:

£500 and its done guv.

So that was you?

The plane door that fell off, and the mystery bike shover...do you have access to a TARDIS?

Just promising to make a proper job of it.

The good news is that its worse than first thought.

Bono injuries including face fracture much more serious than reported
http://www.irishcentral.com/culture/ent ... orted.html

He won't be doing much singing this Xmas.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

An Australian lawyer has set a world record by stringing up almost 1.2 million Christmas lights in the centre of the national capital. Guinness World Records confirmed the 75 miles of multicoloured wire strung in the shape of three interconnected giant, wrapped Christmas gifts in a Canberra shopping mall was the largest ever image made of LED lights.

Lawyer David Richards assembled the light show with the help of an army of volunteers and powers it with electricity donated by a local power company. He set a Guinness World Record a year ago for the most Christmas lights on a residential property by cocooning his Canberra home with 502,165 bulbs.

However, traffic jams in his neighbourhood created by 75,000 sightseers who visited the display over four weeks made it difficult for his family to get to and from their home. “I couldn’t do it again to my neighbours or my family,” Mr Richards explained. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/75-m ... 00127.html

NATIVITY RECORD - USA:

More than 1,000 people dressed as angels, wise men and religious royalty gathered at a park in Provo, Utah, and set a new Guinness record for the largest live nativity scene. The event featured a variety of performers who made videos posted on YouTube. It is also expected to serve as a backdrop for a music video.

Guinness World Record judge Michael Empric determined there were 1,039 participants in the production, along with a camel, donkey and sheep, the Daily Herald of Provo reported. That tops the record of 898 people last year at a nativity scene in the United Kingdom. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 00791.html

Lyme Regis Christmas pudding racers aim for glory

Hundreds of people are competing for the honour of being the champion Christmas pudding racer.
The event involves teams of six tackling an obstacle course on the seafront in Lyme Regis, Dorset, while carrying a Christmas pudding.
Organiser Philip Evans boasted it was "Dorset's whackiest festive event".

This year's event also includes a Chase the Pudding race where competitors aim to catch up with a runner dressed as a Christmas pudding. :D

The event, now in its third year, is based on a similar race held in Covent Garden.
Last year's race raised more than £5,000 for Cancer Research UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-30352140

A Council Estate Santa Claus Christmas card is no longer available on the Clintons website after customers branded it “vile” and “beyond offensive” on social media.

The £2 (€2.50) card listed “10 reasons why Santa Claus must live on a council estate”, including “He has a serial record for breaking and entering!” and “He only works once a year”.

At number four on the card’s list was “He’s never actually been seen doing any work in his whole life” and number five read “He drinks alcohol during working hours”.

The description on the Clintons website said: “This funny card is great for sending at Christmas time.” ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/is ... 01419.html

Shefford cafe's singing polar bear probed over noise
_79731948_screenshot2014-12-15at10.07.40.jpg
Bernard sings and dances outside The Loft in Shefford

A six-foot mechanical polar bear that dances and sings Christmas carols is being investigated after a council received a noise complaint.
The bear - named Bernard - bursts into song when people walk past Loft Café in Shefford, Bedfordshire, where he has stood since 1 December.
An enforcement officer told owners Rob and Teresa Farndon there had been a complaint about "noise nuisance".
Central Bedfordshire Council said there was an "ongoing investigation".
Bernard sings snippets of five or six Christmas songs, including Andy Williams' It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, and is activated either by movement or by pressing a button.
He stood outside the cafe in North Bridge Street every day last December with no complaints and has been put away at 16:00 GMT every day so far this year.
The owners' son Connor Farndon said the complaint was "so petty".
"We put the bear outside for the kids to get them in the Christmas spirit and all the kids love him," he said.
"You can't even hear him over the traffic when it is standing stationary at the traffic lights outside.
"It's not the council's fault - they're just following up a complaint. It's the person who's complained who is ridiculous."
Mr Farndon said he thought the only thing the council could do was "tell us to take it away".
_79731952_bernard.jpg
The council has received a complaint about Bernard's singing
A council spokesman confirmed the premises had been visited "on a number of occasions" but that "Bernard has not been deemed a nuisance".
"We have written to both parties, explaining the situation as part of an ongoing investigation," he said.
"The council takes noise complaints seriously and has a legal obligation to fully investigate them, but we also want everyone in Central Bedfordshire to enjoy themselves over the Christmas period and would urge residents and business owners alike to be mindful of their neighbours when planning festivities."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-30475642

My local pub, before it closed down, had a Singing Santa which it brought out each Xmas. At least I won't have to endure that this year!

Reindeer games

Thieves have made off with a statue of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer that’s been a holiday fixture in a Los Angeles-area neighbourhood for half a century. Residents of Rolling Hills Estates say the 90kg wooden statue was taken sometime on Friday. The culprits left a broken antler behind. Resident Tim Taylor, whose family has taken care of the handmade statue for several years, says he’s hoping it’s just a prank and that Rudolph will be returned.

KCBS-TV reports that missing posters have been made and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department has taken a police report.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/...e-your-pet-says-state-of-new-york-302870.html

Creator of zombie nativity scene threatened with $1000 fine if he does not remove display from Cincinnati suburb

A resident of a quiet Cincinnati suburb has offended his neighbours, by displaying a zombie-themed nativity scene topped with an inverted pentagram star.

After two neighbours made anonymous complaints to Ohio’s Sycamore Township, officials told Jasen Dixon that he must remove his display by Friday, because they claim it violates local property maintenance codes.

Dixon, the manager of a haunted attraction in Indiana, faces a $1,000 (£644) fine if he does not remove the 10-foot by 10-foot structure lit by multi-coloured spotlights, which he built three weeks ago.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...e-display-from-cincinnati-suburb-9943320.html

Back