• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Yearly Paranormal Camping Trip

Thanks, linesmachine. And well-told.

And congratulations on the progress of the pregnancy. Hope it all goes well for you both. How did I know you were a first timer? ;)
Btw, I think someone's waters broke on that posey.

skinny said:
Btw, I think someone's waters broke on that posey.

Well noted. There are a few bits I didn't mention, one being the "bunch of flowers" I can be seen studying in the photo. It is in fact 2 Poppies and 6 ears of Corn. A 7th ear of Corn had been used to tie the bunch together. Someone's also poured water over the naked roots, although whether this was done by the person who put the bunch there or not I don't know. The fact it was clearly still wet indicates it was done recently before we arrived. I'm guessing it might have been an effort to keep the Poppy heads looking good for as long as possible. It was laid on a circular piece of bare earth which is the centre of the stone circle.

Spudrick68 said:
Interesting reading. The open gate is very curious.

I'm passing Rollright again this week so I was gonna drop by and see if it can be opened or not.

bump

Been a few years since we had some campfire curiosity. Anybody been out under the stars lately? I went 10 days ago but nothing out of the ordinary happened. Unusually, I wasn't hung over the next day, but apart from that it was very routine.

...actually I've been once in June and were going again in 3 weeks. Also I've started building a website for it www.paranormalcamping.com

It's only really gone live for testing so there's not a huge amount of info yet. Forum is being built as we speak. Feed back totally welcome.

Very interesting thread! I've saved the paranormal camping site to my list of favorites and I'll check it from time to time for activity. Looks like it'll be an interesting site when you get it up and running!

I live in Texas and we have some interesting places around here to explore. I saw a write up one day on one of Nick Redfern's blogs about a place not far from where I live. It's called The Ghost Road. For years, people have reported seeing an eerie ball of light floating in the air along this road. There are also Bigfoot sightings and even rumors of a long forgotten Indian tribe living in the woods here. I went for a drive with the missus one day, just to go out and see the area in question and I snapped this picture at the entrance to the road. We saw nothing paranormal that day. We saw mostly blue beer cans littered about.

Thanks all. The site was supposed to be almost complete by now but writing up the previous paranormal camps and building the forum and getting news items together has taken a lot more time than we thought.

By the end of October it will be a proper site with some decent content. It's not a money making exercise, just promoting the pursuit of something fun, educational and outdoorsy.

linesmachine said:
...actually I've been once in June and were going again in 3 weeks. Also I've started building a website for it www.paranormalcamping.com

It's only really gone live for testing so there's not a huge amount of info yet. Forum is being built as we speak. Feed back totally welcome.
Just enrolled for the alert. Good luck. I look forward to reading and contributing when it goes up.

BTW, how's the bub? Hope all's well.

skinny said:
linesmachine said:

Just enrolled for the alert. Good luck. I look forward to reading and contributing when it goes up.

BTW, how's the bub? Hope all's well.

My kid is now 2, made how time goes so fast. My co-camper Jon had his first at the start of 2012 so now we both have budding paranormal campers who we are hoping to induct next year!

I've just read "UFO's werewolves & The Pig Man..." by Lee Brickley. An interesting and engaging little read that I downloaded bought from Amazon for my Kindle. I perhaps wouldn't have bought it had it not received a review in the FT and if I hadn't been contemplating an overnight trip to Cannock Chase for next summer.

Thanks to Linesmachine I am considering getting a few friends together to spend a night somewhere on Cannock Chase sometime in the summer. A couple of friends used to run a pub right on the edge of the chase years ago, so I may ask them.

If anyone has any ideas or advice I'd be happy to hear them.

Hi Spudrick68

I knew nothing about Cannock Chase until I accidently drove through it a few years back. Really cool area and not a million miles from me (I'm Oxford). My co-paranormal camper John, is a big Cryptozoology fan and I've seen lots of reported sightings of ABC's and even weirder things crop up over the years in CC.

I'm going to get hold of a copy of the book and maybe John and I will follow your lead and plan a PC for next year up that way.

Let me know how it goes!

I used to live near Cannock Chase, the other side of Chasewater, in Brownhills, next to Watling Street.

Used to go camping on Chasewater, as a teenager and my cousin used to work on the steam locomotives there as a volunteer. Also well worth a visit. Where I learned to drink (Ansells) mild & bitter. Long ago and v.far away.

Will let you know how we get on. :)

The book was cheap through Amazon and gives a few areas that could be of interest. Google Earth is also handy to see how accessible certain areas are. I think I'm more concerned about people dogging than werewolves and UFO's though!

Spudrick68 said:
Will let you know how we get on. :)

I think I'm more concerned about people dogging than werewolves and UFO's though!

Interesting you mention this. One of our first Paranormal Camps was Waylands Smithy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland's_Smithy

It's on a fairly popular walking route called the Ridgeway, and because the Uffington White Horse is less than a mile away you get quite a few people up there but access for cars is not great. We waited until late dusk to get ourselves camped and then started exploring the long barrow. By nightfall we were surprised to find we had company. Someone else had set a tent up not far away and there was some activity going on. I think they were pagans or something. Don't think it was dogging though!

From experience I can say that our biggest issues have been dog walkers. Only in the sense that we are technically illegally camping and we don't really want to alert landowners et al to our presence. You'd be surprised at how early some dogs get walked! We now select our camping location in as much a hidden spot as possible.

Hey, linesmachine. When's your website forum getting up? Next year, right?

I was discussing camping with my Da after xmas lunch a few days ago, and how I'm planning on taking my 6yo for her first camping trip soon. He responds with a story of how one of his parishioners, a retired man, recently camped out alone at a forest site near our home and was joined by a young couple who, seeming neighbourly, brought a six pack of beer to his campsite and then promptly raped him. "The poor man was utterly devastated and his life has fallen apart." Then he wanders off for his post-lunch nap.

... ... Thanks, Da :shock:

Back