• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Yearly Paranormal Camping Trip

linesmachine

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
....so, every year a mate and I go camping somewhere Fortean in an effort to witness something. Previous years have included Waylands Smithy (by the chalk White Horse of Uffington), A supposedly haunted Roman Villa (North Leigh, Oxfordshire) and a notorious UFO hotspot (Wittenham Clumps). So far we have encountered nothing of interest other than a few odd photos that were put down to lens flare and some (rather pleasant) Pagans.

Every year we get a little more desperate and, short of chartering a flight to Tunguska, this year we are adamant we are going to put ourselves in a VERY Fortean place.

Ideas so far are Avebury (anyone know how easy it is to camp there?) and Rendlesham (bit of a lengthy drive but possibly worth it?) Were aren't just fixed on Camping, could also be caves etc...

Me any my mate both live in Oxfordshire, so the nearer it is to us the more do-able it is.

Anyone got any good ideas for places? We are both responsible and generally seek permission, we don't litter or start fires etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly recieved

I remember reading years ago that campers sleeping on the site of the Battle of Edgehill on the anniversary were woken in the early hours by the sounds of desperate hand-to-hand fighting all around them. Sounded FANTASTIC. :D

It's near to you, why haven't you booked?

Here in my hand is a DVD called 'Haunted South Wales'. I bet we could dig you out a campsite or two off that. ;)

Edit - Chester is full of Roman ghosts. I bet there're some haunted campsites round there! It also has very nice pubs and friendly nearby Forteans, if you fancied company. :lol:

escargot1 said:
Here in my hand is a DVD called 'Haunted South Wales'. I bet we could dig you out a campsite or two off that. ;)

...Actually we've "done" Worms Head on the Gower, which is where Dylan Thomas hallucinated ghostly activity. But that might be more Opium than Fortean based! But we would consider anything.

As for Edgehill, I've never heard of it before but will do some research!

Ah, I thought you meant camping it up.

How about dressing up as trannie ABCs on Bodmin?

ramonmercado said:
How about dressing up as trannie ABCs on Bodmin?

Actually Bodmin or Dartmoor are possibles at this stage. As for Chester, it's a bit of a mission away but yes, there does seem to be much activity.

At the moment I'm making inquiries about Avebury....with a possible, centrally located, camp area.

I was interested to know if anyone else here does similar things?

Dylan Thomas was a boozer, not a druggie. :lol:

So, can we expect loads of photos and videos of ghosts? :D

escargot1 said:
Dylan Thomas was a boozer, not a druggie. :lol:

So, can we expect loads of photos and videos of ghosts? :D

Well, although we've had some lovely evenings sat around a camp fire, we've seen nothing weirder than a shooting star. Paranormal experience currently stands at zero. We've even tried drinking some local scrumpy to loosen the brain up but to no avail.

But we're not stopping until a damn ghost jumps out with his head under his arm, rattling chains and shxt. I demand it!

Sandwood bay, just short of Cape Wrath, Scotland.

Sorry its so long way away.

Ive never been there but Im told its one of the countries best beaches.

North Rona has a grim reputation, no idea if its haunted.

Frank Fraser Darling had bad dreams and so did I...

But I think that was the Petrels noise, its so weid you could dream anything.

When my friends went camping in Avebury I sent them up Clatford Bottom, much more atmosphepric.

I have bivvied many a time amid the stones and there place has no atmosphere

linesmachine said:
I was interested to know if anyone else here does similar things?

I'll plead guilty to all my holidays having some sort of Fortean theme built into them - this summer went to Loch Ness and took in a gazillion stone circles and met up with Dick Raynor and Steve Feltham..

http://blogs.forteana.org/node/134

How about Dartmoor - camping there should be easy enough and plenty of Fortean sites.

Gordon

Naturally, I can recommend the Isle of Wight. Plenty of campsites and heaving with paranormal locations. Can't you "do" a New Year's Eve camp, near Knighton Gorges? A repetitive manifestation of a party-lit manor house ... which no longer exists! Warning - it's on private land but it might be seen from the boundaries.

This link might be useful to your choices.

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/calen ... lendar.htm

Firstly, a big thanks for the response. Yes, some are a long way away but a Scottish Fortean camping trip is on the cards for 2011 so everything is useful.

Chanctonbury Ring is something I've never heard of. Even though I'm a Bertrand Russell fan and apparently he loved the place. Also access is good so it's gone onto the shortlist!

We actually "did" the Rollright Stones (including dabbling Divining) and it has been the best trip so far....but nothing concrete, just atmosphere really.

Over the next few days a decision will be made and the date is likely to be October.

Last embarassing question...: We don't use any of the standard ghost hunting kit like EMF meters and digital thermometers. I just wondered what everyones thoughts are regaridng their use.

Lines I think your onto summit here...

If Eavis can do it so should you....

A Fortean Festival........cool idea.......how much for the Scotland trip ? If Geller's headlining I'm out !

;)

A friend of an enemy told me once that she had spooky experiences camping on the site of the battle of culloden.
As for gadgets i wouldn't take any,how much hard evidence have they procured over the years?just go for the chance of an experience yourself, never mind trying to prove it to others.

Glad to be of help

How abut a bivvy on top of Calder Idris?

Its said you will wake up dead, a madman or a bard.

Kondoru said:
Glad to be of help

How abut a bivvy on top of Calder Idris?

Its said you will wake up dead, a madman or a bard.

Never heard of it, but I'm glad you've drawn my attention to it, it sounds perfect. At 3000 feet I think it best to leave until next summer though!

Just a *bump* to say my PCT is now booked for this weekend (weather permitting). We aren't going to say where we are going until after the night as it's potentially *cough!* illegal. However, it's an exciting last minute change of location due to some information coming to light regarding MIB. This is a first for me and my mate Jon, in fact I'm taking a camera and a long lense to capture the Armani clad, shadowy suited men.

...although if the last 3 PCTs are anything to go by, it might just be an excuse to go camping.

Paranormal Camping Trip 2010 occurred on Sat 9th October :D

Paranormal instances experienced.....zero :(

I think there was an imbalance in the spiritual flux or something....maybe it was too warm for ghosts?

Was your disappointment intense? :lol:

escargot1 said:

Sigh, I'm SO dissapointed I can't even bring myself to giggle at Escargot's poor gags. It was a lovely evening though, really warm and all these caterpillars fell out of the trees above our heads, and when we went to bed a Deer came and nosed around our fire.

linesmachine said:
escargot1 said:

Sigh, I'm SO dissapointed I can't even bring myself to giggle at Escargot's poor gags. It was a lovely evening though, really warm and all these caterpillars fell out of the trees above our heads, and when we went to bed a Deer came and nosed around our fire.

So the animal wasn't deer to your hart? You could have held a stag party.

linesmachine said:

Aw come on, usually her jokes are quite good fun!

Making old jokes about camping - might know she'd take me down a peg or two. ;)

It's that time of year again for me to think about my Paranormal Camping trip for this Summer. This will be the fifth attempt to witness something otherworldy. Lets look at the stats so far:

Paranormal Camping trips: 4
Polite pagans: 4
Scrumpy consumed: Much
Paranormal phenomena witnessed: 0

Pietro once suggested the Rollright Stones. I've now moved house to within 10 miles of this location so it seems sensible to give it a shot. Has anyone camped on the location before? Can anyone recommend any "procedures" (however odd) that might be worth trying in order to bring out the spirits?

Any suggestions much appreciated and photos of such activities will be made available...within reason, no nudity or animals.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
The Rollright Stones, near Long Compton, on the border between Warwickshire and Oxfordshire, are fairly Fortean.

http://www.rollrightstones.co.uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollright_Stones

And, there's some sort of Civil Defence bunker, or RSG, nearby, as well, if I remember correctly.

I've heard stories about the Rollright Stones from someone hearing and seeing dancing children there in the wee small hours.

A brief scan through my book of myths and legends points out Cumnor in Oxon where the woods surrounding Cornbury Park are said to be haunted by the ghost of Amy Robsart, wife of Robert Dudley - a favourite courtier of QE1. Shennanigans ensued, she 'broke' her neck and stills haunts the area. But beware...to see her means death is imminent.

The Icknield Way, according to 'Satan's Guide to Oxfordshire, is a prehistoric road running from the Wash to Wiltshire. Still a green track for most of its length it is haunted (it says here) at twilight by Roman Legionairies, Black Dogs and Boudicea's charioteers.

Full marks if you get them all in the same pic.

Back