• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Yellow Brick Road" Discovered On Pacific Ocean Floor

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Why settle for a Bimini Road once you've found the Yellow Brick Road? :thought:

YellowBrickRoadNautilus-2205.jpg

Scientists Follow a 'Yellow Brick Road' in a Never-Before-Seen Spot of The Pacific Ocean

An expedition to a deep-sea ridge, just north of the Hawaiian Islands, has revealed an ancient dried-out lake bed paved with what looks like a yellow brick road.

The eerie scene was chanced upon by the exploration vessel Nautilus, which is currently surveying the Liliʻuokalani ridge within Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument (PMNM). ...

All day every day, researchers provide live footage, and a recently published highlight reel on YouTube captures the moment researchers operating the deep-sea vehicle stumbled upon the road to Oz.

"It's the road to Atlantis," a researcher on the radio can be heard exclaiming.

"The yellow brick road?" another voice countered.

"This is bizarre," added another member of the team.

"Are you kidding me? This is crazy." ..

Despite being located under thousands of kilometers of ocean, the lake bed discovered by researchers on the summit of the Nootka seamount looks surprisingly dry. On the radio, the team notes that the ground looks almost like "baked crust" that could be peeled off.

In one tiny section, the volcanic rock has fractured in a way that looks strikingly similar to bricks.

"The unique 90-degree fractures are likely related to heating and cooling stress from multiple eruptions at this baked margin," reads a caption to the YouTube video. ...

FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.sciencealert.com/scient...a-never-before-seen-spot-of-the-pacific-ocean

From the article:

"Despite being located under about a thousand meters of ocean, the lake bed discovered by researchers on the summit of the Nootka seamount looks surprisingly dry. On the radio, the team notes that the ground looks almost like "baked crust" that could be peeled off."

If it's on the summit of a seamount then maybe it's a sulphur deposit.

I don't know if it's - whatsistname - pareidolia? But to me there seems to be an oval? geometric design there superimposed on the 'brickwork'. ...

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're referring to, but if I am ...

The curved lines / loop(s) may be refractive effects of the water. Check the video to see if what you're referring to is the occasional "waviness" in the camera image.

There also seems to be an area of slumped or sunken bits in the middle of the "brick road".

Looks natural to me.
The article and video does say that it's natural formation. I find it awe inspiring just to know that we are seeing something 3000 km underwater. Exciting to know that as technology advances, some of it allows us regular people to see things that would be impossible without it.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're referring to, but if I am ...

The curved lines / loop(s) may be refractive effects of the water. Check the video to see if what you're referring to is the occasional "waviness" in the camera image.

There also seems to be an area of slumped or sunken bits in the middle of the "brick road".
Hmmm.

I was expecting to look at the video and find it was to do with the lighting or a reflection or something. But it isn't. The image/design is static on the 'brickwork' even as the submersible - or whatever - moves about, and there is no hint of refraction elsewhere.

It almost looks like a distorted 'ban the bomb' symbol from the 60's.

Zoom in and see a mask of a human face in the top left corner, with two eyes, nose and a mouth and with another one at an angle below it.…

;)

Back