• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Yeti In Spain

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
WATCH: Yeti finally caught on camera
SPANISH ski resort bosses have combed part of the Pyrenees after this picture appearing to show a mysterious Yeti-style creature went viral on the Internet.

A skier sounded the alert after posting the photo taken at Formigal in northeastern Spain on a popular website with the message: “Strange animal spotted in Formigal. What the hell is this?.”

The picture, retweeted thousands of times, sparked a search by ski resort owners Aramon and a frenzied debate over whether a Spanish Yeti was on the loose or if it was a bear, Photoshop montage or even a soldier wearing mountain camouflage.

The mystery remained unsolved last night, although skiers were being reassured there was no cause for alarm.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/641675/Watch-Yeti-finally-caught-camera-nature-weird-video

To me, it looks like someone in a heavily-insulated white suit.

The video won't play for me, so it's powers of evasion and concealment even extend over the internet.

Big white suit gets my vote. Cheaper than running Blender or Solidworks on a true 64-bit Sun box.

Plus, it's more fun (my Godzilla costume is uncomfortable, but it looks great in MP4 movies)

2016-02-06 16.23.14.png

Last edited:
It was years ago, I needed the cash at the time. Kept tripping over the skyscrapers, it never really worked out.

Well, I'll be the first to say it. Lordmongrove will be a long to tell us at some point anyway. Outside of popular culture, yetis aren't white. So unless there's something about yetis not yet revealed in folklore and sightings (winter coat, polymorphism, albinism, etc), this is far more likely to be a guy in a suit than an actual yeti*.

*That's right, that's why it's likely to be a guy in a suit.

Well, I'll be the first to say it. Lordmongrove will be a long to tell us at some point anyway. Outside of popular culture, yetis aren't white. So unless there's something about yetis not yet revealed in folklore and sightings (winter coat, polymorphism, albinism, etc), this is far more likely to be a guy in a suit than an actual yeti*.

*That's right, that's why it's likely to be a guy in a suit.
Clear photographic proof of the white yeti!

42922.jpg

It’s a guy on the run in a white suite.
I will admit, I commited this typo as well. But I cheated, by editing-out my accidental 'e'.

Because the arms of the chair would be too straight, to look real.

I will admit, I commited this typo as well. But I cheated, by editing-out my accidental 'e'.

Because the arms of the chair would be too straight, to look real.
I'll admit, I always have to think about it. But then I still run through bad eggs are useless in my head to spell 'beautiful'. :oops:

This is quite interesting.
In the old days of Forteana, something like this would have credibility for a while, then have an accusation of hoax and then it would be pulled apart. Nowadays, we just sidestep this process altogether and skip straight to the funny comments.

Not saying I believe this report but do you reckon this is the beginning of the death of Forteana?

In the old days of Forteana, something like this would have credibility for a while, then have an accusation of hoax and then it would be pulled apart. Nowadays, we just sidestep this process altogether and skip straight to the funny comments.

Not saying I believe this report but do you reckon this is the beginning of the death of Forteana?
No, we're just going to start calling it post-modern neoforteana and carry on as though nothing's changed.

If you read my earlier comment, you'll observe that I already postulated a 'hoax' explanation before most of the funny comments.
So be reassured.

It's not the end of Forteana, it's just the bar has been raised for evidence. When Fort was writing it was all eye witness accounts & newspaper stories. Now we have video & on top of that, people hoaxing & CGI. There's so much hoaxing that we have become much more cynical.

As regards the video & cynicism, if you'd spotted something anomalous & were videoing it, why would you stop filming after about 5 seconds when it was in clear view? Or did the Express decide to cut the rest of the video?

And is the Express site morphing into a sort of British version of National Enquirer? The click bait is strong in this one.

If you read my earlier comment, you'll observe that I already postulated a 'hoax' explanation before most of the funny comments.
So be reassured.

I was just musing about the general perception to Fortean events and how we're probably more hard wired to believe we're being presented with a hoax rather than a mysterious event. Of course this is quite a sensible approach to take as people have many reasons to see their video reach a million hits and become viral.

Anyway... I digress and we do have separate threads dealing with this subject.

What we should be asking is whether a Yeti has ever been spotted in Spain before. I don't think there's a history of such things, is there? So maybe he's there on holiday for the skiing.

What we should be asking is whether a Yeti has ever been spotted in Spain before. I don't think there's a history of such things, is there? So maybe he's there on holiday for the skiing.

Like there's not enough snow in the Rocky Mountains, Himalaya or Sibiria? I find that suspicious! :rolleyes:

That's me in a hairy suit! Why do my private holidays always end up with folk taking pictures?

I don't possess any books about the larger man beasts (we should perhaps refrain from calling them yeti unless they are Himalayan), but Richard Freeman's Orang-Pendek: Sumatra's Forgotten Ape has a pretty extensive review of sightings of smaller ape men from around the world - and none in Spain. Richard Bernheimer' Wild Men in the Middle Ages mentions a yearly custom involving a man dressed as a bear, which the author associates with those elsewhere in which men dress as wild men, and of course the odd representation of wild men in art, but nothing else. I haven't had a chance to look through the folklore of Spain to determine whether anything relevant can be found. It seems to me Spain is fairly devoid of such creatures.

If not a yeti, or sasquatch, or Big Foot, or Yowi, or the Great Snowman, what do we call this Spanish Cryptid? Other than Spanish Cryptid?

I know that a few sightings of BHMs have been reported in Spain. No example on hand presently, but I remember at least one case in the Spanish Pyrennees. If I have time, I'll try to find it.

It'd be cool if we got to name a new cryptid here, albeit one probably originating as a guy in a suit. But a little digging has uncovered the Basque basajaun. It's described on Wikipedia as;

"...a huge, hairy hominid dwelling in the woods. They were thought to build megaliths, protect flocks of livestock, and teach skills such as agriculture and ironworking to humans."

And some of these images from a Google search make it very clear some consider it a Pyrenean analogue of other wild men.

The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures (which misspells the name as 'basajuan') says;

"Among the Basque people of northwest Spain, the Basajuan is a trickster spirit in the form of a faun who teaches humans agriculture and the smithing of metals. Living high up in the Pyrenean mountains, he protects flocks of grazing goats and sheep. His wife Basa-Andre combs her long hair and calls to climbers in the mountains so that they fall to their deaths."

So, a mixed bag, really.

I'll keep looking.

Sounds like the Basque region does indeed have its own apeman, no description of the colour anywhere at all, is there?

Back