• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Yoga

Donegal priest bans “contemptible” yoga, reiki and tai chi

Gweedore parish priest, Father Padraig O'Baoill, says healing stretches and relaxation could “put your soul in jeopardy.”

A Catholic priest in Ireland has become an online hit after asking parishioners in Gaoth Dobhair (Gweedore), County Donegal to refrain from taking part in yoga, tai chi or reiki.

Father Padraig O’Baoill, the pastor of the local parish in Gaoth Dobhair, made his comments in the weekly newsletter published by the church.

He said, “As followers of Jesus Christ we should not partake in deeds that go against our religion. Accordingly, you should do not take part in yoga, thai chai or reiki. Do not put your soul in jeopardy for the sake of these contemptable things [sic].”

A local yoga teacher said she was offended by the remarks, describing them as over the top.

The parish priest, who is currently in Lourdes, France, told reporters at the Donegal News that he would comment on his return.

His comments reflect the Catholic Church's teachings relating to yoga, tai chi and reiki.

However, his comments were not greeted with a great deal of seriousness online.

One Tweet quoted the comedy series “Father Ted”: ...

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Donega ... i-chi.html

Down with this sort of thing!

down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg

Yoga is very interesting discipline. But good are translantions eastern original texts. Many of them is freely on the net, like:
Sat chakra nirupna, The serpent power, Shiva samhita, Gherandfa samhita .............and many others.
In eastern yoga texts are different two possibilities.
A path to achieve nirvana = end the cykle of lifes and death. And a path for obtain siddhis and better life.

And another priest getting himself into contortions.

A priest from Glendermott parish in Derry has said that yoga and Indian head massages will lead to the "Kingdom of Darkness.”

Fr Roland Colhoun said that people who practice yoga risk being drawn towards the "bad spiritual domain" of "Satan and the Fallen Angels.” Fr Colhoun told the Derry Journal: "Pope Francis said ‘do not seek spiritual answers in yoga classes’. Yoga is certainly a risk. There’s the spiritual health risk. When you take up those practices from other cultures, which are outside our Christian domain, you don’t know what you are opening yourself up to." ...

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Yoga-leads-to-Satanism-says-Irish-priest.html

I wonder how he feels about actress Janine Turner's Christoga? Or Jesocize, which is her Christian Jazzercise? Personally I'd find it difficult to tell the difference from just looking.

Possibly a Yoga Cult taking advantage of a member.

A WOMAN HAS launched High Court proceedings against her husband over the manner in which he has allegedly been conducting the affairs of their civil engineering business.

The action has been brought by Hilda Mackey against her husband Michael Mackey concerning the operation of Mackey Plant Construction Ltd, an engineering and steel fabrication and installation works business based at Stereame Business Park in Nenagh Co Tipperary.

The couple, both of Benedine, Nenagh are the founding directors and joint shareholders of the firm, which employs more than 25 people.

However she claims that she has been left “baffled” by her husband’s behaviour over the last 18 months.

She says in a sworn statement that without her consent her husband improperly removed €300,000 from the company and a company pension fund to the detriment of the employees, owners and creditors of the company.

Her husband has been receiving advice and coaching from a yoga group calling itself Japa Meditation, which she says her husband joined in 2016.

She fears members of this group may have accompanied him when he withdrew the companies funds from the bank. ...

http://www.thejournal.ie/courts-yoga-group-tipperary-company-3655460-Oct2017/

I'm glad it's not just me that thought Angela Lansbury might be a genuinely evil entity. :cool:

I have never forgiven her for framing all those people in "Murder, she wrote". Note how the killing in Cabot Cove murder epidemic just keeps on going and nobody twigs she's a serial killer, just because she's involved in "solving" the case? Hannibal Lecter has nothing on her.

A few new positions.

Downward dog will be familiar to anyone who has ever attempted a yoga class, but how about a lemur lotus pose?

The animals have been enlisted by a Lake District hotel and spa, which is offering "lemoga" classes.

Armathwaite Hall, near Keswick, has launched the sessions as one of its "meet the wildlife" wellness activities.

Richard Robinson, manager of the adjoining wildlife park, said they are ideal partners.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-47783459

Yoga is back in Russian prisons but it's suspension seems to have been related to the ongoing suppression of minority religions.

Russia is reinstating prison yoga classes that were suspended after a complaint based on the concerns of a leading opponent of religious minorities.

Senator Yelena Mizulina asked the prosecutor-general to check the legality of kundalini yoga classes introduced on a trail basis in Moscow remand centres, and they were duly suspended during the subsequent investigation, Moskovsky Komsomolets newspaper reports.

But the paper obtained a supporting document written by Alexander Dvorkin, a Moscow academic who opposes the influence of minority religions as "totalitarian sects", prompting outrage and mockery in the Russian media.

Alexander Dvorkin is an influential figure. He teaches at a university run by Russia's powerful Orthodox Church, and heads the council that advises the justice ministry on religious matters.

He also publicly backed a 2017 ban on Jehovah's Witnesses that has led to complaints of ill-treatment of followers of the religion.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-47859256

Another idiot.

The Bishop of Waterford has written to Catholic schools in his diocese to say yoga is "not suitable for our parish school setting".

In the letter, Bishop Alphonsus Cullinan criticised mindfulness classes saying that these practices were "not of Christian origin". He said mindfulness has been part of the Christian tradition "since the beginning".

“Christian Mindfulness is not mindlessness but is meditation based on Christ, emptying the mind of everything unnecessary so that we become aware of the presence and love of Christ,” he wrote.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...criticising-yoga-in-the-classroom-958287.html

He needs Janine Turner's Christga, which is exactly the same as yoga, only with Christ at the start.

Rage Yoga Is a Thing—and Yes, There Is Swearing Involved
Finally, a workout for those of us with rage issues.

Tranquil music, pretzel shapes, and gentle candlelight may be the hallmarks of the yoga you're used to, but there’s another more casual style of yoga that includes cursing, beer, and heavy metal you need to know about: Rage Yoga.

STJ4dWhLNW53VjZ4dFMzWTN6czAucG5n.jpg

Lindsay Istace, the founder of Rage Yoga, describes it as “alternative yoga for the modern badass." "It's meant to be a different approach to yoga for those who find their peaceful center in a different way," she says. The practice "involves a little bit of extra chaos and a sense of humor," she says. Think: war cries, heavy metal guitar riffs, occasional dirty jokes, f-bombs, and yes, even drinking.

As for the actual, you know, yoga part, Istace tells Health that the flow itself incorporates traditional yoga postures and breathing with alternative principles, and the intensity and difficulty depends on the instructor and class. Speaking of the instructors: All of the Rage Yoga instructors have completed a Rage Yoga certification program and also have completed a 200-hour yoga teacher training.

“No matter what you can expect an awesome soundtrack, the opportunity for some emotional release, and to walk out feeling a little more badass,” Istace says.

https://www.health.com/fitness/rage-yoga

maximus otter

Last edited:
A more light-hearted approach to yoga - but still incorporating the beer - has emerged in Cambodia.
Phnom Penh yoga fans return to mat after lockdown - with a beer

For some, a post-lockdown group activity that combines exercise with alcohol may seem like the ideal coronavirus stress-buster - though yoga purists should probably avoid Phnom Penh’s TwoBirds Craft Beer brewery while it’s taking place.

The brewery’s yoga classes, resumed after a six-week lockdown across Cambodia - which has officially recorded not a single COVID death - was lifted on Jan. 1, combine holding a pose with clutching a beer, and they’re attracting devotees.

“I have more fun with beer yoga. It’s not as serious as traditional yoga,” said Sreyline Bacha, 25, as she reached for a beer glass, wobbling just a little to maintain her balance in a pose. ...

Its creation attributed to a stunt at America’s Burning Man festival in 2013, beer yoga has since enjoyed sporadic popularity in different parts of the world.

“It’s not like a real yoga practise, it’s more like a gathering with friends, incorporating yoga moves for entertainment,” said instructor Anna, who arrived in Cambodia about two months ago. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-mat-after-lockdown-with-a-beer-idUSKBN29R06J

An abusive yoga cult.

BBC journalist Ishleen Kaur was a passionate yoga teacher with Sivananda, one of the biggest yoga movements in the world, until a disturbing social media post led her to uncover multiple allegations of sexual abuse spanning decades, right up to the present day.

Since I discovered yoga in my mid-20s, it had become a huge part of my world. Like many devoted yogis, it was not just an exercise class for me, but a way of life. I didn't just teach classes at my local Sivananda centre, I volunteered to cook and clean there too. Sivananda teachings influenced every aspect of my existence.

But then in December 2019, I received a notification on my phone. It was a post in my Sivananda Facebook group about the movement's late revered founder, Swami Vishnudevananda.

A woman called Julie Salter had written that Vishnudevananda had sexually abused her for three years at the Sivananda headquarters in Canada.

She wrote that when she finally found the strength - decades later - to report this to the Sivananda management board, "the reactions ranged from silence, to the attempt to silence".

I have now interviewed 14 women who allege abuse at the hands of senior Sivananda teachers, many of whom have not spoken about this to family and friends, let alone made it public. I have also spoken to a former staff member who says her concerns were not addressed by the Sivananda board.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57400014

Yoga teachers aren't always peaceful.

A yoga teacher murdered her lodger when he refused to move out.

Dawn Lewis, 54, stabbed Glenn Richards, 61, on the evening of 18 April at her cottage in Glastonbury. Lewis claimed she was acting in self-defence, but was convicted of murder by a jury at Bristol Crown Court.

An expert said knife wounds to her leg were probably self-inflicted, and Lewis had previously told friends she planned to stab the victim and then herself.

The jury deliberated for less than nine hours, coming to a majority verdict of 11-1. Lewis will be sentenced on Friday and Judge William Hart told her to expect a life sentence.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-63799638

I'm sure there are other ways of evicting a dodgy lodger, not all of them involving violence.
Why did she let him in the house, knowing that he had a conviction for murder?

Back