• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Yoghurt Is Psychic

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Ok, this is something I heard down the pub. Please don't bite me.

According to my informant:

Yoghurt is psychic. If you grow a culture of it, separate it into two halves, then interfere with one (for example, putting sugar in it), the other half will respond and react in the same way as the half which has been interfered with.

Lead and glass placed between the cultures will not affect this process. However! A wall of a different culture of yoghurt will block these telepathic waves.

I assume that this hypothetical experiment was carried out under strict laboratory conditions, so that no air contamination/what have you was possible.

His source? 'I haven't seen a paper or anything on it. I heard it from a hippy'.

Does anyone have any leads? Are we on the verge of a superpsychic muller-lite revolution?

Reminds me of the 'liver likes milk' rubbish we used to read in the FT years ago.

Y'know - if you leave a plate of raw liver in the fridge, it will later be found wrapped round a milk bottle, because 'liver likes milk'. :roll:

An easy enough experiment to try.

Only, how does yoghurt react to sugar? I only have low-fat yoghurt, so it would be counter-productive to add sugar to it!

Simple. You set up the experiment, pop out to the shops and the cat eats both tubs of yogurt. :D

Later it's sick, possibly over both your best shoes.
Uncanny. :shock:

rynner2 said:
An easy enough experiment to try.

Only, how does yoghurt react to sugar? I only have low-fat yoghurt, so it would be counter-productive to add sugar to it!
Live yoghurt, would be a bit if a prerequisite, for this experiment, I think. ;)

My mum had a Kefir, looked like a weird fungus, you keep it in milk and it grows. I used to be very weary of the thing. When it is big enough, you separate it and put the new one in another pot of milk and so forth...
While we had it, I did hear similar things about its "intelligence". I was glad when it eventually "died", never felt quite comfy with it. So who knows. I can well imagine it to be "telepathic" in a scientific way obviously :sceptic:

Kefir picture: http://oglobo.globo.com/blogs/arquivos_ ... -kefir.jpg

I don't want to interfere with yoghurt. I get enough strange looks in Tesco already!

Might have to retitle this thread... :D

Is yoghurt becoming less cultured than yogurt?
By Sean Poulter
Last updated at 8:16 AM on 26th May 2009

When it comes to what makes a good yoghurt, most of us only care about how much fruit or how much fat it contains.
But retailers are currently debating whether the British yoghurt should have one ingredient removed. . . the letter 'h'.

Almost unnoticed, manufacturers and retailers have been moving to the alternative, Americanised spelling of yogurt over the past 15 years, to the annoyance of traditionalists.

The row has now spilled on to the pages of the food industry journal The Grocer, where the director general of the Provision Trade Federation, Clare Cheney, complained in a letter: 'Isn't it time The Grocer caught up with the fact that the industry has long since dropped the "h" from yoghurt?'
She called in reinforcements in the form of the Oxford English Dictionary, which identifies that the word is derived from Turkey, which introduced the dairy product to the world and spells it yogurt.

Its roots are linked to the Turkish word meaning 'to knead'.
However, the English equivalent of the Turkish 'g' has traditionally been 'gh' and, along with New Zealand and Australia, Britain has mostly retained the 'gh' spelling.

But yogurt is the usual spelling in the U.S., while to complicate matters further, the Canadians favour yogourt.

Miss Cheney said: 'I really think that given the fact the industry has decided to go with yogurt that it is about time for others to fall into line. It did not occur to me that this would be following the American spelling; that was certainly not my intention. Rather it just seems sensible to drop the "h" to avoid any unnecessary confusion.'

Writer and etymologist Michael Quinion said that historically the British have strongly objected to the Americanisation of the language but that attitudes were softening.

He said: 'I suspect that if you had 100 people in a room that the majority would spell it with an "h". The fact that this has now changed has rather crept up on us; it seems to have happened by stealth.
'The Americans have been using yogurt as the correct spelling for at least 150 years.

Today, most British dictionaries also use this as the preferred spelling.'

Mr Quinion, who says he documents changes in language and spelling, rather than yearning to maintain the status quo, added: 'There is no right or wrong here, but evidence suggests that yogurt without the "h" will become dominant. It is more crisp and short, the word is spelt as it sounds.
'It does seem that yoghurt with the "h" will slowly disappear for good.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ ... ogurt.html

Interesting stuff about the "intelligence" displayed by yoghurt. I was going to set up an experiment tomorrow morning but I think my wife has enough cause for concern with the "experiment" currently bubbling away in the shed. She's also never forgiven me for the "bubble bath" I created which took the enamel off the bath tub.

As for spelling, I've always been a yogHurt man. Without the H I pronounce it "Yo-gurt" like the 'Mericans do.

Yogurts are a little funky because of its microbacterial properties, that's what makes it fresh and hip here in Asia. The trend of yogurt-eating is slowly coming to a rise.

Back