• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Chris_H_Baker said:
So wearside jack gets 8 years!!

I think there'll be a number of people feeling that he got off a bit lightly there - there's a very strong argument that he was as responsible as Sutcliffe for the later murders due to the complete mis-targetting of the man-hunt that was caused by the tape, allowing Sutcliffe to wander around with impunity.

The investigating force must bear some responsibility also though for throwing themselves wholly behind that particular line of inquiry at the expense of others.

But weren't the police so desperate for information that they would have thrown themselves behind any useful-seeming lead they could find, no matter how false it turned out to be in retrospect?

I don't argue with that, but the police should have guarded against the possibility that the letters and tape were part of a hoax - the Ripper inquiry was too important to be diverted by a battle of wills between the protagonists of the Wearside Jack episode.

Again a seemingly minor event pinpoints the offender. Sutcliffe was arrested but released because he didn't have the accent - but was eventuially stopped following a traffic offence - The hoaxer caught after DNA given and held on record for another minor offence.

Man jailed for Ripper deception
The man who deceived police during the Yorkshire Ripper case with false claims he was the killer has been jailed for eight years at Leeds Crown Court.
John Humble taunted detectives when he claimed to be the Ripper in three letters and an audio tape in the 1970s.

His actions made police concentrate their hunt in Sunderland while the Ripper continued to kill in Yorkshire.

Humble, 50, of Flodden Road, Sunderland, admitted four charges of perverting the course of justice.

Judge Norman Jones told him his offences were at the upper end of seriousness when it came to perverting justice.

Ripper 'encouraged'

The judge said it could not be said Humble's actions caused or directly led to the deaths of three women who were murdered after the hoax letters and tapes had moved the focus of the police investigation to Sunderland.

Nor could it be said the killer would have been caught earlier had it not been for Humble.

But Judge Jones explained that when the real killer Peter Sutcliffe was caught, he told police the hoax letters and tape had given him "confidence".

He said: "The least that could be said was these victims would have stood a better chance of not being attacked had these police resources been directed in West Yorkshire."

After the case Det Ch Supt Chris Gregg, of West Yorkshire Police, said: "Whilst the person responsible for sending the hoax - letters and tapes - remained unknown, it left a great many people with unanswered questions, in particular the families of the victims who lost their lives at the hands of Peter Sutcliffe.

"We were determined to do everything we could to find the answers to those questions and at least give some degree of comfort now that the case been closed once and for all."

Humble came to be known as Wearside Jack as his taunts to the police continued.

'Sad old man'

His identity was discovered 25 years later when his DNA, taken after a minor offence, was matched against saliva on an envelope sent to detectives.

Outside court, the son of Peter Sutcliffe's first murder victim said he was satisfied by the sentence.

Richard McCann, whose mother Wilma McCann was killed in 1975, said: "I think the families will be glad to hear of that sentence.

"I think it does bring some closure."

Asked what he thought about Humble, Mr McCann said: "I just think he's a sad old man."

Sutcliffe, 59, is serving life for the murders of 13 women in West Yorkshire between 1975 and 1981.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 828828.stm

Published: 2006/03/21 18:36:03 GMT

© BBC MMVI

I hold no brief for the hoaxer - but eight years seems like a sentence for making the police look like fools. Humble - a good pathetic Victorian-type name to go with his Ripper obsessions - was hardly a mastermind and his calls contained nothing that should have limited the enquiry so much as it did.

Eight years seems to reflect a share in the murders after his curve-ball. It should send out a message to any joker who thinks the police are as daft today as they were then. Not a lot of incentive for the police to smarten up though. :(

Indeed.
As I understand it ..... Sutcliffe was repeatedly questioned ... for being seen repeatedly in all three red light districts and for being amongst those who had been paid with the batch of cash containing the fiver found on the body in Manchester. The police had tyre prints and foot prints and hand prints and fairly accurate photofits and descriptions of his various cars from the victims who survived (several of whom were at the time recognised as ripper victims and none of whom described a north east accent).
He seemed to be a fairly disorganised killer and was frequently very lucky not to be caught sooner, but the assumption by the police that the tapes and letters were genuine was probably his biggest break.

It does seem to me that the sentence given to the hoaxer represents the guilt/humilation of the police and the supposed facilitation of the later murders rather than the crime of 'wasting police time' or whatever it was that technically actually occured.

I caught the end of a documentary last night about "Wearside Jack", the rather sad individual who sent hoax letters and tapes to detectives investigating the Yorkshire "ripper" murders in the early 80s.

What intrigued me was a couple of headlines from the time which suggested that Sutcliffe had an accomplice. I vaguely recall reading something about this before and hearing that there was evidence for it but it had been covered up for some reason.

Anyone have any more information on this?

I think, from memory, that the accomplice theory was a direct consequence of the appearance of the letters and tapes. Once they were revealed to be a hoax there was nothing much left to suggest the existence of an accomplice.

Ah, I see not only did we already have a thread on this but that I had previously posted on it. Apologies... :oops:

WhistlingJack said:
I'm sure that in an ITV documentary about the search for Wearside Jack, a woman who worked at a transport café frequented by Sutcliffe stated that he was always accompanied by another man who never spoke, until the one occasion when this man came in alone and he conversed with her in a voice apparently identical to that on the tape...

I remember that documentary.

She distinctly said that his 'friend' spoke just like the man on the tape.

I'm sure there were other people interviewed who backed up her story as well????

WhistlingJack wrote:
I'm sure that in an ITV documentary about the search for Wearside Jack, a woman who worked at a transport café frequented by Sutcliffe stated that he was always accompanied by another man who never spoke, until the one occasion when this man came in alone and he conversed with her in a voice apparently identical to that on the tape...

I'm sure there were other people interviewed who backed up her story as well????

I did wonder whether the unusually long sentence Humble received was an indication that the authorities may have thought his involvement extended beyond hoax letters.

At the end of the documentary it did say that Humble has begun a correspondence with Sutcliffe from prison.

All very odd.

More Ripper crimes, says report

Peter Sutcliffe was jailed in 1981 for the murders of 13 women
The Yorkshire Ripper probably committed more attacks than the murders and attempted murders he was convicted for, a secret report says.
The Byford Report said there was an "unexplained lull" in the Ripper's activities between 1969 and 1975.

The inquiry has been made public after being kept secret for nearly 25 years.

Lorry driver Peter Sutcliffe was jailed for the murders of 13 women and the attempted murders of seven others in northern towns between 1975 and 1980.

Sutcliffe was sentenced to a minimum of 30 years in jail for the brutal attacks on women but the 1982 report raises the possibility he may be responsible for other "assaults".

The inquiry into the West Yorkshire Police investigation into the Ripper's crimes includes details of these attacks but this part of the report, entitled "Description of suspects, photofits and other assaults", remains censored by the Home Office.

Also partly censored is a section about Sutcliffe's "immediate associates".

'Established pattern'

The Byford Report points to a "lull" in Sutcliffe's activities between the time when he first came to the attention of the police in 1969 and the first officially recognised Ripper assault in 1975.

Its author, Sir Lawrence Byford, says: "We feel it is highly improbable that the crimes in respect of which Sutcliffe has been charged and convicted are the only ones attributable to him.

"This feeling is reinforced by examining the details of a number of assaults on women since 1969, which, in some ways, clearly fall into the established pattern of Sutcliffe's overall modus-operandi."

Sir Lawrence added that he was "sure" senior police officers were aware of the possibility that the Ripper was responsible for more attacks.

'Major errors'

The report, released under the Freedom of Information Act, details how detectives made "major errors of judgement" during the five years it took to apprehend Sutcliffe.

In 1982, a summary of the report was published, which suggested the police investigation suffered "information overload" because of the massive public response to the hoax letters and tapes sent by John Humble, who became known as Wearside Jack.

Humble was jailed for eight years in March for attempting to pervert the course of justice. His conviction is believed to have influenced the Home Office's decision to finally publish the Byford Report in full.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west ... 037416.stm

jemstar555 said:
WhistlingJack said:

Easily done. And if that's the answer the policeman is clearly dying to hear than it's all the easier to assume that they have other evidence and say 'Yep, that was his voice'. All suggestion. Innit.

agentbuffy said:
In the back of the rules for Call of Cthulhu rpg (5th ed.) are a whole bunch of various timelines, including one for crimes.

Good those timelines, aren't they. Lots of sparks for adventure storylines.

Unfortunately, i'm many miles from my Cthulhu materials to check if it's been ammended in later editions.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=1981
Jack Sutton 'The Yorkshire Ripper' repeated here (but nowhere else i can find).

Wiki wosit:

Sutcliffe killed a Manchester prostitute, Jean Jordan (aged 20) in October. Her body was not found for ten days, but had obviously been moved several days after death. The recovery of her handbag offered a valuable piece of evidence. Sutcliffe had given the woman £5. The note was new and was traced to banks in Shipley and Bingley and from there to the wages of 8,000 local employees. Over three months, the police interviewed 5,000 men, including Sutcliffe, but did not connect him to the crime. Sutcliffe had known the note could expose him: he had returned to the body a week after the killing, and, unable to find the handbag, had tried to remove Jordan's head with a broken pane of glass and a hacksaw. Chillingly, he did this after hosting a family party at his home. Jordan's body was discovered by Bruce Jones, who later went on to play the part of Les Battersby in the long-running TV soap opera Coronation Street.

...The basis of his defence was his claim that he was the tool of God's will. However, there was a twist to the tale that, had it been made public at the time, could have shattered this defence, and exposed Sutcliffe as the sexual killer many believed he was. When Sutcliffe stripped out of his clothing at the police station, he was discovered to be wearing a V-neck pullover under his trousers. The arms had been pulled over his legs, so that the V-neck exposed his groin; the elbows were padded to protect his knees as, presumably, he knelt over his victims' corpses. The sexual implications of this outfit were held to be obvious. But this fact was not communicated to the public until disclosure in a book by Michael Bilton, published in 2003, called Wicked Beyond Belief:The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Ripper

Tangent:

UNSOLVED MURDERS

It is a sad fact of life that some murders go unsolved and that sometimes killers get away. However, nowadays new scientific techniques such as genetic finger printing offer a way of tracing the killers.

Such techniques can also be applied to some cases from the archives, and so we look at three cases dating back to the Sixties and Seventies that the police feel are ripe for reinvestigation.

We have isolated three cases; one in Nottingham, one in Leicestershire and one in Derbyshire, that we are eager to find new information on.

Each case made national headlines at the time. But despite all the publicity the killers are still at large. The police files are still open though and with the right leads the police are confident the cases can be cracked.
1963 - The murder of George Wilson, Nottingham
Police examine the muder scene
George Wilson was killed outside his pub in Nottingham

The Fox & Grapes was and still is known locally as the "Pretty windows pub". This is where landlord George Wilson was stabbed to death in 1963.

George was attacked when he was unlocking the door to his pub. He was stabbed 13 times.

The seemingly motiveless murder sparked, what was then, Nottingham's biggest murder investigation.

For three months 140 officers worked an 18 hour day, more than 60,000 people were interviewed and in effect every dustbin was emptied in Nottingham within two days of the killing in the search for the murder weapon.

Scotland Yard were brought in to help the Nottinghamshire Police conduct the murder investigation. It was the last time Scotland Yard helped in a murder enquiry with no London connections.

Dozens of knives were recovered by officers or handed in by members of the public. Finally on the ninth day of the inquiry came the breakthrough the police were waiting for.

Two boys playing in a ditch along the Nottingham to Radcliffe-on-Trent road found the knife in its sheaf. At the time the clues offered up from the knife didn't lead to the killer.

But things have moved on, nowadays the police could probably extract enough evidence on the knife to track down the killer. They might still be able to - the knife is waiting to be examined using the latest crime-busting techniques.
1969 - The murder of Annie Walker, Leicestershire
Aniie Walker's house in Heather, North West Leicestershire
Annie Walker was found battered to death in her own house

In April 1969 the police were called to a house at Heather in North West Leicestershire.

An elderly woman was found battered to death in her front room.

Annie Walker lived alone. She was known as a creature of habit.

She had recently gone to her bank in Coalville and withdrawn £1,000 from her bank account. The money had disappeared by the time Annie's body was discovered. The£1,000 that was taken would be worth 10 times that amount today.

It is suspected that Annie was followed out of the bank where she withdrew the money and to her home, where the murderer struck.

The next day a neighbour spotted Mrs Walker's curtains were shut, smoke was seen in an upstairs window, and the police were alerted.

They found Mrs. Walker lying on the living room floor, still in her night-clothes. She had been battered to death around the head with a blunt edged weapon - the weapon has never been found.

By re-examining evidence gathered at the scene, police have now been able to extract DNA samples to positively identify the murderer. All they need now is to find a match for the killer's DNA.
1970 - The murder of Barbara Mayo, Derbyshire
Barbara Mayo
Barbara Mayo's body was found close to the M1

In October 1970 Barbara Mayo set off from her London home to hitchhike north.

Six days later the 24 year old's body was found in a wood by the north bound carriageway in view of Hardwick Hall. The teacher been raped and then strangled.

Police closed the M1 and interviewed 50,000 drivers in the hope that someone would recollect seeing something that might help the investigation.

Then after reports that a woman like Barbara was seen getting into a Morris Traveller, 80,000 of the cars were traced and their owners questioned.

They also put on a reconstruction retracing Barbara's last known steps.

Twenty years later, in 1990, detectives were able to confirm that Barbara's killer was the same man who raped and strangled 18-year-old Jackie Ansell-Lamb near the M6 in Cheshire in March 1970.

Police have the DNA of the killer. In 1997 they examined the DNA of 250 men to eliminate them from their enquiries. They traced suspects who were living as far away as New Zealand and Canada, but none of the DNA samples matched that of the killer.

The police are looking again at the exhibits to test for DNA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastmidl ... ders.shtml

Ripper hoaxer in sentence appeal

The man behind the infamous "I'm Jack" tape, which disrupted the Yorkshire Ripper inquiry, is to appeal against his eight-year jail sentence.

John Humble was dubbed Wearside Jack after sending letters and a tape to police claiming to be the killer.

While police resources were diverted to Sunderland, Peter Sutcliffe, of Bradford, committed three more murders.

Humble, 50, of Flodden Road, Sunderland, was jailed in March for perverting the course of justice.

He had been arrested in 2005 after police matched his DNA, taken after a minor offence, against saliva on an envelope sent to Ripper squad detectives in 1979.

Paul Worsley QC told Leeds Crown Court before Humble was jailed, that he had had a fascination with the original Jack the Ripper, who terrorised the streets of London in 1888.

"Considerable trouble had been taken to reflect the original phrases in these letters and tapes," said Mr Worsley.

He said Humble had also been persistent with his letter writing, and did not stop, even when he knew the police were taking them seriously.

"He was to send another letter and then a tape. That made it clear he wanted to send the police off the trail of the true killer," said Mr Worsley

The real Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, was jailed in 1981. He was given 20 life sentences for killing 13 women and attempting to kill seven more.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2006/07/14 08:30:51 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Ripper hoaxer loses appeal bid

The man who deceived police by claiming to be the Yorkshire Ripper has lost his appeal against his eight-year sentence for perverting the course of justice.

John Humble sent three letters and an audio tape to detectives in the 1970s.

He was dubbed Wearside Jack after police resources were diverted to his home city of Sunderland while Peter Sutcliffe committed three more murders.

Mr Justice Calvert-Smith said the jail term was severe but could not be called "wrong in principle or excessive".

Humble, 50, of Flodden Road, Sunderland, was arrested in 2005 after police matched his DNA, taken after a minor offence, against saliva on an envelope sent to Ripper squad detectives in 1979.

Before he was jailed in March, Leeds Crown Court heard that he had a fascination with the original Jack the Ripper, who terrorised the streets of east London in 1888.

The Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, was jailed in 1981 and given 20 life sentences for killing 13 women and attempting to kill seven more.

Dismissing Humble's appeal, Mr Justice Calvert-Smith said the case was "uniquely serious and had possibly fatal consequences".

He said: "The offences called for a very severe sentence."

In a case so serious the "issues of personal mitigation and passage of time lose much of their influence".

Humble's counsel David Taylor told the judges that at the time of the first letter he was 22 and already a chronic alcoholic.

He would drink from the moment he woke up and during the day and night until he passed out.

Mr Taylor said that Humble, who had been an alcoholic for 27 years and had tried to commit suicide, had difficulty explaining why he had written the letters.

He told the court: "He has been a model prisoner since he has been in custody.

"Ironically the fact that he has been in custody probably saved his life."

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2006/10/24 14:34:45 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Not exactly in the festive spirit. But, Yorkshire Ripper almost gets stabbed in the other eye.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7159442.stm

Yorkshire Ripper hurt in attack

BBC News Online: 24 December 2007

Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe has reportedly been injured in an attack in a high security hospital.

Sutcliffe, 61, was said to have been stabbed in the face by a fellow patient at Broadmoor, Berkshire.

The hospital confirmed there was an attack on a patient on Saturday and the police have been informed.

Sutcliffe, a lorry driver from Bradford who was jailed for life in 1981 for 13 murders, is already blind in one eye after a previous attack.

A spokesman said: "Occasionally there are incidents where one patient assaults another and those incidents are dealt with accordingly."

He added the patient's injuries were not serious.
One does rather wonder, what Sutcliffe's fellow inmates have in store for him, when they do finally manage to put his lights out for him.

Still, I shan't let it put me off the general Christmas good cheer. That would be churlish. :)

The other inmates are unlikely to have it in for Sutcliffe more than for anyone else. Most lifers co-operate with each other - everyone wants a quiet life. ;)

escargot1 said:
The other inmates are unlikely to have it in for Sutcliffe more than for anyone else. Most lifers co-operate with each other - everyone wants a quiet life. ;)
That might depend on how he gets on with his fellow inmates, then. Wasn't he a real Holy Roller, who God spoke to, special? Perhaps, he's been overly judgemental? Wasn't that his problem on the outside?

Who knows what they fell out over? Could have been a scramble for the last slice of toast. ;)

Once in prison, a person's offence is not the most important thing about them. Offences are not necessarily even discussed: if inmates don't talk about what they're in for, nobody need know, unless they are especially notorious and have been splashed across the news.

So Sutcliffe's injury is unlikely to be an act of private revenge on behalf of an appalled society against a hideous murderer. The toast scenario is much more likely.

Don't forget that Broadmoor is a hospital rather than a prison, all be it with high security.

The people he is liking with are like him considered to be mentally ill so normal prison conventions don't apply.

An attack could have happened simply because he intruded on someone else's delusions. Or their delusions told them to do it!!!!

Broadmoor is a special hospital, in more than one way. My point was that in the ordinary, mundane round of institutional life, people can disagree in ways that have little or nothing to do with their reasons for being locked up.

escargot1 said:

So Sutcliffe's injury is unlikely to be an act of private revenge on behalf of an appalled society against a hideous murderer. The toast scenario is much more likely.
Nonetheless, there does seem to be a concerted effort to go for the eyes, in the case of Sutcliffe. One not confined to the delusions, or grievances of just one inmate.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,2232117,00.html

Yorkshire Ripper stabbed in face

Staff and agencies. Monday December 24, 2007. Guardian Unlimited

The Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, has been attacked by another convict at Broadmoor, the secure prison hospital in Berkshire, it has been reported.

Sutcliffe, who was jailed in 1981 for 13 murders, is already blind in one eye after attacks including being stabbed with a pen 10 years ago.

The latest assault was on Saturday while Sutcliffe, 61, was eating his lunch in a dining hall, the Sun newspaper reported.

Twenty other patients looked on as a convicted killer attacked Sutcliffe with a metal cutlery knife.

Article continues
According to the account, Sutcliffe managed to fling himself back in his seat and the blade went in half an inch below his right eye, bouncing off his cheekbone. Four nurses bundled the attacker away as he tried to stab Sutcliffe again.

The hospital confirmed there was an attack on a patient on Saturday but declined to give details. A spokesman said: "Occasionally there are incidents where one patient assaults another and those incidents are dealt with accordingly.

"I can confirm that the police were informed as with any incident of this kind. The patient's injuries are not serious."

A Broadmoor source told the Sun it was the fourth attack on Sutcliffe.

"His eyes are the target," the source told the Sun. "He has lost one eye and the other is not really working well."

Sutcliffe was blinded in his left eye and his right was damaged when he was repeatedly stabbed with a pen in his room at Broadmoor in 1997 by Ian Kay, a convicted murderer.
So, the question remains, putting aside the 'whys' and 'wherefores,' what, if anything, might they have planned for Sutcliffe, once the lights go out?

i'm surprised they let them have metal cutlery... high security prisons only have plastic :?

escargot1 said:
Does anyone really care?
There's an apparent level of concerted effort and determination there, that does give some pause for thought.

Yeah - it seems very consistent, always the same objective, and over a number of years. If it is coincidental it's remarkably so.

wasn't he supposed to have stabbed out his victims eyes before he sexually violated them post mortem? so that they couldn't 'see' what he was up to. maybe it's a reference back to that?

Back