• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

gyrtrash

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Can anyone furnish me with any information, links, books etc. that describe the purported activities of a werewolf in East Yorkshire?
I believe the beast could be found around the village of Flixton...

Cheers
Dave:)

this sort o thing?

Beware the Moon
Type: Other
Date / time if known: Unknown
Further comments: There are stories that the area around Flixton is home to a werewolf, which has glowing red eyes and a particularly bad body odour.

not that much on t'web though . . .

There were attacks by a 'werewolf' in the vicinty of Ripon on the 1920s, IIRC...

RE;Werewolf

I heard a rumor that the Wolf lived in Alltofts,but thats only a rumor.
Bill.

Yeah what ever happened to werewolves, they just don't seem to be around nooooooooouuuuw.."sorry":D

Emperor said:
Dave: Sounds interesting - any specific time period?

Emps

Saxon times?...

In Flixton near Filey in Yorkshire... in King Athelstanes time was built a "Hospitall, for the defense of way-faring people passing that way from Wolues, least they should be deuoured."
from THIS SITE .

But that just mentions bog-standard wolves, not of the 'were' variety?

But the Mysterymag website says;-
Flixton
This village was well known for its deadly werewolf. In Saxon times a hostel was built to protect travellers from such animals.

So where did the story of the werewolf around Flixton originate?

(I'm sure I read a quote last year, from a folklore book written by an old local historian, it's driving me nuts trying to remember where!:rolleyes: )

I'd say that it wouldn't take much for someones' overactive imgaintion to skew wolves into werewolves in this particular example.

any possible relation with the "hexham" heads entity? i wonder

Exactly JerryB.
What I'd like to know is when the tale transmogrified into 'were' lore...

And why.

And how do you remember the werewolf attacks in Ripon from the twenties?! I didn't think you were that old!;)

(Seriously though, Can you gimme some info, it's fascinating stuff!)

Cheers
Dave

My mistake - the one I was thinking of was at Edale, Lancashire, in 1925. Allegedly, some large animal was tearing sheep to bits. There's also the case of the bloodsucking creature on the prowl in 1905, at Badminton (Gloucester) - this also attacked sheep. I'm not sure why Ripon crept into my head as a locale - perhaps it was the site of something else of Fortean interest.

There's a bit more detail in 'A Ghost Hunter's Road Book' (John Harries, 1974), but it doesn't say where he got the story from originally.

“Werewolves, a common feature of ghost stories in Europe, are rare in Britain, but the north of England has two reports. Flixton, on the A1039 west of Filey, North Yorks, has one of these fearsome beasts. Equipped with abnormally large eyes which glow in the dark, and exuding a terrible stench, the animal is supposed to fell nocturnal wayfarers with its tail, which is almost as long as its body. The eyes are crimson and dart fire.

Historical records, including those of Camden, significantly mention that about the year 940 a hostel was built in the village of Flixton to shelter wayfarers in wintertime from attacks by wolves. At that period packs of the animals were not uncommon in the north of the country, and they were regarded with particular loathing because in times of severe weather they scavenged in graveyards. Their cunning in discovering unprotected cattle, their boldness in attacking travellers, and their habit of suddenly descending in large numbers on an area where they had previously been unknown, all helped to give rise to the belief that the animals were not ordinary wolves but human beings who adopted a travesty of wolf shape by night. Their nocturnal exploits were supposed to be organised by a wizard whose innocent appearance enabled him to gather information about cattle, sheep and human wayfarers in taverns and market places.”

Wenna

werewolves

Admittedly this going off at a wee tangent but near Arnside in North Lancashire there is an ancient house set in a beautiful coastal area among woodland. Over the massive front door there is a worn and crumbling plaque bearing the original family's coat of arms and their motto - it's in Latin, and I can't remember it, but the translation, which is displayed on a board in the porch means 'Wolf is Wolf unto Man' - Most intriguing and not a little sinister!!!

The figure of a Wolf crops up in several other parts of the area on old carvings, house and place names and in local family names.
There is obviously a story in there somewhere....

another Cumbrian "werewolf"... I posted this elsewhere, but I thought it might be worth a repeat here:

"When I was at college (in Carlisle), a bloke was arrested in a nearby village (Brampton). He was stark naked and covered from head to foot in blood. He'd escaped from a local mental hospital (Garlands – now closed). The Police were convinced he'd killed someone, because there was so much blood, and they even did a search for a body.. I can remember them looking in the river. Anyway, it turned out it was a massive nosebleed, though they didn't establish this until about a week after the arrest. I don't think the bloke helped himself much... the first thing he said to the bobbies who asked him why he was covered in blood was "i'm a werewolf"!"

By the way... when John Landis was filming An American Werewolf In London, he did the opening scenes – set on the Yorkshire moors – in Wales because "Yorkshire didn't look Yorkshire enough".

Bloomin' cheek.

Re: werewolves

hecate said:
Admittedly this going off at a wee tangent but near Arnside in North Lancashire there is an ancient house set in a beautiful coastal area among woodland. Over the massive front door there is a worn and crumbling plaque bearing the original family's coat of arms and their motto - it's in Latin, and I can't remember it, but the translation, which is displayed on a board in the porch means 'Wolf is Wolf unto Man' - Most intriguing and not a little sinister!!!
Legend has it that the last Wolf in England was slain somewhere in Lancashire. That's probably why there is a Wolf connection in that region.

zygmunt said:
By the way... when John Landis was filming An American Werewolf In London, he did the opening scenes – set on the Yorkshire moors – in Wales because "Yorkshire didn't look Yorkshire enough".

Bloomin' cheek.

Hay Bluff - I go there quite a lot. Another odd fact at the start of Antique Roadshow when you see the car driving along with the grandfather clock - same place. Now if a large werewolf would jump out and attack Huge Scullery...............

which has glowing red eyes and a particularly bad body odour

Hmmm...typical bigfoot/skunk ape/wierd hairy biped description. Could it have been something like that? And the werewolf tag was used because the Saxons or whoever didn't have the same references we do?

Folklore in England tends to describe such entities as being animal in shape, instead of being anthropoid like those seen in the US. Large dog or wolf-like animals are very common within English folklore - humanoids much less so (there are a few reports of odd humanoid sightings, but folklore about them tends to be lacking). Some of these animals are accompanied by a sulpherous smell as the assumption is that these creatures have a Satanic origin.

Im curious to know regards any recent sighting in North yorkshire. By recent I mean in the last 5 - 10 years. Werewolfs / Dogmen The only sighting in the area of north yorkshire I seem to be able to find are Flixton which seem to date back to 940. There seem to be stories of big cats sighted however big cats are not wolf like. Im looking for sightings in the whitby area that involve dogmen. Any help appreciated.

Curiousgeorge I have received several sightings of Dogmen in the North Yorkshire area. From vocals, to actual sightings too.

Exciting! Do you have any more specific information?

Mods, can we pls correct a typo in the title? Thnx

Exciting! Do you have any more specific information?

Where to begin, I had one such witness claim that they saw a huge dog which stood up, jumped over a fence and then run off with a cattle animal. Then his friend came forward to his fried stating he had seen a huge dog in the same area. A woman claimed she heard a strange howl. While a former military guy with an undisclosed area on the moors stated that few years back with a routine team in the middle of the night they had the sense of being watched by something.

Also there have been claims made by people around the moors stating that they have either seen or heard strange howls, growls.

One of the most interesting cases I found took place not too far from the mainland of the moors which featured two friends who would often explore areas. This encounter took place just before Xmas 2014, as they were following a trail through a forest they heard a strange howl but thought nothing of it has it sounded like it came miles away. Shortly after they had the sudden feeling that something was watching them in the treeline. They never saw this creature head on but they heard the footprints crash through twigs and leaves and even heard the creature brush against the trees. By this point they had even heard a howl that was even closer to their location and they legged it to their car.

Where to begin, I had one such witness claim that they saw a huge dog which stood up, jumped over a fence and then run off with a cattle animal. Then his friend came forward to his fried stating he had seen a huge dog in the same area.

Wait, am I reading this correctly? You say a dog was seen running off with a cow? It must have been enormous!

Wait, am I reading this correctly? You say a dog was seen running off with a cow? It must have been enormous!
He said a 'cattle animal', which is not normal English usage. Perhaps a calf was meant.

He said a 'cattle animal', which is not normal English usage. Perhaps a calf was meant.

Nevertheless, a dog big enough to carry off a calf would still be absolutely massive.

I'm sorry but werewolfs are not real and someone pulling your leg

I'm sorry but werewolfs are not real and someone pulling your leg

Indeed. But you do get people who think they are werewolves. They might act like one and after a long enough time living rough in the wild they might look convincing at night or in poor light.

Back