• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

You Look Just Like...

Oh, I think Jesus was definitely into showing off - he was the original virtue signaller.
What brand of trainer do you reckon he'd wear these days? .. I'd say Reebock or Puma .. he's definitely not a Nike kind of man.

I've often been told I look German. My height is 1.8 metres/5'11" (whichever is your preferred unit of measure) and I am therefore considerably taller than the average woman. I also have blue eyes and a fair complexion. On a visit to Strasbourg when I was in my mid-twenties, I had an odd encounter with an elderly local woman. She approached me on the street and stated in an indignant tone that I was German. I assured her that I was not a German citizen but she insisted that I must be. Our brief interaction was cut short by her companion, who whisked her away before she could say anything more. Given the history of Alsace, the sight of a Germanic-looking person in the street would hardly be unusual. I assumed the woman was suffering from some form of dementia and that my appearance must have triggered a memory from the war years.

Fast forward to earlier this year when my sister had a DNA test done. It revealed that the largest percentage of her genes (42) traced to northwestern Germany. Since receiving the test results she has done a fair amount of genealogical research and has discovered that there is indeed quite a bit of German ancestry on one side of our family. I had long thought our family was of mainly English descent and that in my case the Anglo-Saxon genes came to the fore. I'm told that percentages can vary considerably among full siblings and my sister is encouraging me to have a test done to see how my results compare to hers. Even if that elderly woman in Alsace was suffering from dementia, her assumption about my ethnicity was more accurate than I realised at the time.

Fun thread. I don't get many but I have had - Jean Simmons, Sinead O'Connor (a bit - aye right), a Raphael Madonna(!) and my personal favourite at Uncon after watching the Nina Conti film huge on a huge screen - actually mistaken for Nina Conti.
But what about your wonderful Miranda profile? The ALLURE!

At one point I couldn't leave the house without someone telling me I looked like Kate Bush, and I once had Karen Carpenter and Crystal Tipps, so that's three matches I have with @Jepra Peld - I wonder if we would be compared to each other! Maybe we should swap photos to see!

I got rather blase about the Kate Bush thing until someone stopped me in a club with the usual "Hey, you know who you look like..." and I was thinking 'yeah, yeah, here we go' and he announced the rather unexpected "Cheryl Baker!" I was absolutely crestfallen! I had Anna Karina a few times which healed my Cheryl baker wounds and Kirsten Dunst a lot, during her Spiderman tenure (it was just the hair and the snaggle tooth). Billy Corgan from The Smashing Pumpkins was probably the oddest one I've had. And I think three people have made this comparison (which, weirdly, I can also see myself!). Although I can see that these people all share similarities with each other, so people must be seeing the same thing in me, I suppose.

And I'm totally with @catseye about people focusing on different parts of the face and seeing different similarities, accounting for such an array of lookalikes in so many posts above. I think my hair has been the main focus for most people, although definitely not with Billy Corgan! Ha!

At one point I couldn't leave the house without someone telling me I looked like Kate Bush, and I once had Karen Carpenter and Crystal Tipps, so that's three matches I have with @Jepra Peld - I wonder if we would be compared to each other! Maybe we should swap photos to see!

I got rather blase about the Kate Bush thing until someone stopped me in a club with the usual "Hey, you know who you look like..." and I was thinking 'yeah, yeah, here we go' and he announced the rather unexpected "Cheryl Baker!" I was absolutely crestfallen! I had Anna Karina a few times which healed my Cheryl baker wounds and Kirsten Dunst a lot, during her Spiderman tenure (it was just the hair and the snaggle tooth). Billy Corgan from The Smashing Pumpkins was probably the oddest one I've had. And I think three people have made this comparison (which, weirdly, I can also see myself!). Although I can see that these people all share similarities with each other, so people must be seeing the same thing in me, I suppose.

And I'm totally with @catseye about people focusing on different parts of the face and seeing different similarities, accounting for such an array of lookalikes in so many posts above. I think my hair has been the main focus for most people, although definitely not with Billy Corgan! Ha!
I briefly dated a girl who looked a lot like Kate Bush at college, she'd never heard of her so I had to take her into a record shop to show her an album cover. She wasn't impressed, she ended up running off with another fella (not up a hill) .. that's life.

Some one told me in the doctors one day, a very long time time ago, that I look like Lena Martell. Another time I was likened to Natalie Wood. It was a very very very long ago, I can well assure you I wouldnt be mistaken for either of them now.

I've had a couple of people shout out 'Hey, get a bag of buns for the Elephant Man' - which is a bit annoying as I quite like buns but they never materialise.
Do you look a bit like Freddie Jones ?

John Hurt was the Elephant Man...
Yeah I know but unless he looks like deformed John Merrick? .. perhaps he was doing a joke? .. I got drunk with John Hurt once you know (when he started hanging out in Cromer just before he carked it). I've got his autograph on my Midnight Express DVD case .. the Mrs still has a hand written letter from his Mrs, Anwyn, inviting us to the Alma Cogan local premiere although truthfully we weren't close mates with them or anything, they were a lovely down to earth couple and I wish they'd had longer together here .. he was fond of his high end whisky.

Last edited:
When I was at college I went out with a Kim Wilde lookalike. After we broke up I went out with a Linda Lusardi lookalike. Ah those were the days.

Our maintenance manager at work swore blind that the boss' secretary looked like Lee Remick. "But only from the back. From the front she's more like Lee Marvin."

Even if that elderly woman in Alsace was suffering from dementia, her assumption about my ethnicity was more accurate than I realised at the time.

Slightly off-topic -
I was telling someone yesterday about a woman serving at a jumble sale 30-odd years ago, who urged me to buy some lovely maternity/baby clothes (can't now remember which). This puzzled me as I wasn't pregnant.

Except I was, as I found out a few weeks later. On jumble sale day, I told my neighbour, I'd've been so freshly pregnant, I'd only just dragged me drawers up! :D

When I was at college I went out with a Kim Wilde lookalike. After we broke up I went out with a Linda Lusardi lookalike. Ah those were the days.

Our maintenance manager at work swore blind that the boss' secretary looked like Lee Remick. "But only from the back. From the front she's more like Lee Marvin."
Which gives me the perfect chance to put this link to the song Lee Remick, by my all-time favourite band the Go-Betweens: two and a half minutes of pop perfection!

Which gives me the perfect chance to put this link to the song Lee Remick, by my all-time favourite band the Go-Betweens: two and a half minutes of pop perfection!

If you play that backwards it says 'Satan is my Lord Satan is the Lord' ..

I've just remembered! A partner described me as looking a bit like Patrick Kielty. I'm female. But he turned out to be gay anyway (the partner, not Patrick Kielty) so maybe it was a good thing?
I'm guessing that your then partner telling you that you looked like a famous gay man didn't work out very well for him ..

Patrick Kielty isn't gay. Partner is. Now, apparently. So maybe he only fancied me in the first place because I looked like Patrick Kielty. I don't, by the way. The only thing we had in common was a bleach blonde number two cut...

I've just remembered! A partner described me as looking a bit like Patrick Kielty.

I've just remembered that I was once likened to Patrick Kielty as well!

In 1986 I went to see Iron Maiden at the Newcastle City Hall and one of the things I remember most about the show was a man up in the balconies who had been trying to get singer Bruce Dickinson's attention by pointing at the rather large Iron Maiden tattoo that he had on his upper arm. At one point Bruce addressed him directly saying something along the lines of yes I can see you have a tattoo, well done!, in a bit of a sarcastic way as I can't imagine he would be impressed by that sort of thing.

Many years later, around 2000 I think, I happened to be in a pub in Newcastle one afternoon alone. Seated at the bar next to me were two men, one of whom was wearing a vest and sporting a rather large replica of the album cover Killers on his arm. I ended up chatting to these two and sure enough, it turned out to be the same bloke and I told him how I remembered him from that night many years previously. He seemed quite pleased at this.

Anyway, it was his friend who remarked that I looked like Patrick Kielty. I must have screwed my face up at this because he continued, No, he's a really good looking bloke.

Reading this back I now wonder if I hadn't walked into a gay bar. The evidence is all there - vests, tattoos, a stranger telling me I looked like a handsome TV presenter. Not long after this I made my excuses and left.
The best part was this fella's name...
Ian Maiden. I kid you not.

Back