• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
From what I understand, the ancestor came to the village and soon, almost unnaturally, gained a lot of power. When they were in no position to obtain it in the beginning. Apparently, in that area`s lore, the "fox" line runs from first son to first son to first son and so on. They only took wives from places far away that couldn`t be confirmed by the villagers (Probably because no one in the village wanted to marry them because of the rumour!). So, of course, everyone assumes their wives must have been foxes too!

My husband is the first son, of the first son of a first son, and so on... So apparently I`m married to a fox! :)

It is sort of interesting though that he has gained an abnormal amount of power in his company already - Others who started at the same time as he did are now working under him.

Regarding the family`s feeling about it - they just laughed when I mentioned it.

The ritual itself isn`t just because of the fox thing - it`s the village tradition to send the first son and his wife (or fiancee) of the chosen family out to sea to visit the world of the dead. You wear a funeral kimono, and play "dead" while pushing a large model reed ship that is slowly burning. Everyone puts offerings to the dead on the boat, and we sort of pushed it out far enough that it was considered to be in the realm of the dead. (As in not be washed back to shore before it burns up.)
Well, because in the distant past, a lot of people actually died during the ritual (swimming in the pitch black night sea, wearing a kimono is NOT easy), and foxes can swim better than humans, my husband`s family has been the chosen family for as long as anyone can remember. And any wife who couldn`t make it back apparently doesn`t deserve to be married to a fox.

By the way, the village is on a tiny strip of land wedged between mountains and the sea.

Absolutely fascinating, Tamyu. Thanks for sharing that with us.
:D

I assume nobody's died in the funeral ceremony recently, have they? It's quite a story. Are there any other cool traditions you've been part of?

Someone DID die recently, in a different village, but during a similar ritual. The local government outlawed the thing for "safety" reasons. We took part in the last one, thought at the time we had no idea it would be the last.

As for other interesting traditions... Not too many. No, wait, I guess that depends on what you consider "cool". I generally don`t even think about most of the common rituals, and we had a full, old style, Shinto wedding.

While I'll leave the thread for Miike's remake in Fortean Culture (for now)...

MrRING said:
Just got through watching a Japanese film called Yokai Monsters or Spook Warfare (the Japanese title is Yokai daisenso).

Its actually the first of (at least) three (out on R1 DVD):

-----------------
Yôkai daisensô / Yokai Monsters 1: Spook Warfare (1968)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0164402/

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008O ... enantmc-20

-----------------
Yôkai hyaku monogatari / Yokai Monsters 2: One Hundred Monsters (1968)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0200301/

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000093 ... enantmc-20

-----------------
Tôkaidô obake dôchû / Yokai Monsters 3: Along with Ghosts (1969)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0202627/

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AI ... enantmc-20

Yamabushi: Shinto Demon Slayers

I thought this was a good thread for this amazing story, the human counterpoint to the power of the Youkai:

http://www.geocities.com/ominobu/sae2.htm
Y A M A B U S H I
Japanese Demon Slayers for Real, Hidden Warriors of the Mountains

A rare item of Japaneseness, despite the tackling of the issue by exported anime movies such as Inu Yasha in 1990's, the yamabushi lives still in places where tourists from New Jersey wouldn't thread -- yet.

The term mean literally 'mountain warrior', in this case 'demon-slayer', for real -- the 'yamabushi', though not samurai, were entitled to wear swords even in the most pyramidal society of the Tokugawa era (1603-1868). They claimed to have been descending from such and such ancient clans, and they were impolitical enough anyway, so the rule about social ranks, when applied to them, was always more relaxed.

What can be easily nailed down as their characteristics are the cotton balls at their chests, the staff, the gloves, and the flowing hair.

All those were practical, but in the usual mode of operation in the dark ages, were made to emit some supernatural significance.

Hence the hair that wasn't washed and tied like normal Japanese because of the mode of living came to denote some oneness with nature, the stick that helped a lot in hiking was magical wand at last, the gloves that protected the hands from prickly bushes where there was no walking path became some spiritual aid to handle angry ghosts.

A 'yamabushi' is not a Shintoist and not a Buddhist either, in the strictest sense of the terms. They have a synthesized belief that is usually called 'the Way of the Mountain' -- 'Shugendo'.But, as Shintoism is automatically Japanese and vice versa, they, too, actually practiced the Shinto ways; their nature-related orientation alone already makes them such.

These demon-slayers rarely went downtown. But sometimes they did, when summoned and begged to, in extraordinary occasions such as a plague caused by angry demons which couldn't get tamed by priests. Their methods were like the Onmyojis, only lacking refinement and more to the point.

'Yamabushi' never mingles with Shinto priests even though they share a lot between them. But on certain occasions like shown in the picture at your left, the Shinto priests climb the mountain to deliver some offering (in this case some leaves of poppies -- which in some places are called 'grass'), and might meet the 'yamabushi' who is 'in charge' of the area.

And a first-hand account:
http://arvigarus.bravehost.com/history_004.htm
Yamabushi - The Third Force

This writing covers all I know about what I think is most interesting in this, my life, given that there is a certain mystery, a certain sense and sensibility, that makes all the difference.

I first met up with the Yamabushi at a minor temple of the Shingon Buddhist Sect in a small village far inland, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan. The priest of that temple had invited me to see the Yamabushi fire walking, knowing well my interest in the mystical. During the ceremony, suddenly, I found myself urged to follow the fire walkers and did so — without singeing my feet! Amazed, but totally at a loss as to how that could be, I took up the study of that extraordinary clan of truth seekers of the mountains.

Mountains are known to have something powerful and enchanting about them, particularly to the Japanese. It is as if they have a strange attraction and something of that clings to the reputation of the Yamabushi. The Yamabushi is he or she who is hidden in the mountain — the allegorical mountain or otherwise. In other words a recluse, one who undergoes spiritual training in a natural religious way called Shugendo, which is neither a school nor a sect. More generally a Yamabushi is given the name gyoja, simply, 'one who is training'. Shugendo is a mystery religion.

Shugendo became highly organised during and after the Heian period (794-1185). Building on the ancient themes of sacred mountains and ceremonies performed in the mountains, Shugendo developed as a 'mountain religion' that emphasised pilgrimage to the mountains and ascetic retreats, combining the Shinto notion of local gods (kami) with the Buddhist notion of local bodhisattvas — saving beings. In addition, the religion borrowed the theories and charms of China's religious Taoism and shamanistic practices from the Korean continent.

The generally accepted founder of Shugendo, En-no-Gyoja, gained spiritual power by combining the aspects of several traditions. He practised Buddhist asceticism on sacred mountains while assuming features of the Chinese mountain wizard (hsien in Chinese, sennin in Japan). Many hermit practitioners gained their religious powers by training in the mountains before descending to minister to the people.

In later periods, while mystical Shingon Buddhism languished as a separate sect, the Shugendo practitioners were instrumental in spreading the charms and incantations of esoteric Buddhism among the people in a heady mix of Taoist talismans with Shinto elements. The Yamabushi were also important in spreading Buddhism in northern Japan. The Yamabushi recluse who undergoes spiritual disciplines in the mountains is not a subject of great interest to the average Japanese and has long been considered by the public simply as a commoner, a farmer, or maybe a hunter-guide in the mountains without any profound teaching. Some Yamabushi —- mostly part-timers — looked into the future for what it held for believers, or made passes of the hands over the body in healings. The Yamabushi never achieved the reputation of the Zen Sect Buddhists, for example, with Zen's relation to the classical arts and aesthetics; but in medieval times the Yamabushi were a force to be reckoned with both in the sacred and secular worlds.

Without speaking of any revival of Shugendo itself, it is notable that scholars are giving greater recognition to the Yamabushi and to Shugendo today. I consider myself a Yamabushi in as far as I share their endeavour as a truth seeker and try to identify with the Yamabushi spirit; though I have my own methodology, my own landscape and intention as to what I am doing with my life in the application of what I have learned on my particular path — that which is detailed in this writing.

In Japan, there has always been a form of Animism. Later, Continental Asian shamanism arrived and, Taoist practices. Later again, Buddhism added to the blend. Those with a mystical proclivity took those golden threads from those diverse influences to use as materials to weave their own patterns and unbeknown to those very same scattered seekers, in time, a metaphysical tapestry lay across the land.

On the level of the individual, working in isolation, it appeared as a confusion of aims, means and terms but out of those shambling heroics and with historical distance, that tapestry resolved into the map of a magical landscape that pointed at a possible way to an illuminated life.

The troublesome centuries rolled by and family and clan rallied to their own in causes that were far from the essential interests of the mountain recluse. This fact itself meant that the Yamabushi who were priests had to engage themselves in giving another orientation to their immediate society and as this brought them into conflict with the powers, they had to do this in disguise, so to speak. They learnt the secret of being here and not-being-here, placing the onus on the spectator to decide just what it is that IS here!

At the start of Japan's Meiji Era (1868), it must have been inconvenient for the modernising authorities to have a loose grouping of mountain priests around, apparently sitting between religious definitions, so the Yamabushi were slotted and the only adequate pigeon-hole the government of Japan could find — which kind of fit — was a Buddhist one.

Thus the Yamabushi were considered Buddhists — but they were not. Then later, the government split off the Buddhist from the Shinto because the former's non-violent intentions were too clear and the latter's simplicity lent it to be easily engineered into a State religion that would not oppose the ruling class's militarism. In 1948, under a new constitution imposed on a defeated-in-war Japan, Shugendo gained its religious independence, and was recognised as a distinct religion.

For themselves, the true Yamabushi simply rejected the warring ways of tribalism — bequeathed as they were with an ancient teaching long in development — and looked to their own profound internal search for truth and wholehearted service to life. 'The perennial philosophy' that the Yamabushi contacted, eloquently written about by Aldous Huxley in the book of the same name, was born of a wisdom that dwells in the depths of the human being, a wisdom that existed before Japan was called Japan.

The wisdom spoken of holds its currency still, yet it is not the result of modern education. It is achieved by sincerity, by intentions cleansed of ignorance. Some people are born with a propensity to see clearly their real situation and that was all it took. Spontaneously, they acted on what they saw. This 'seeing' was no small matter. En-no-Gyoja, the archetype Yamabushi, was one such destined to develop this 'look'.

Just so, some earlier Yamabushi survived the times of barbarism and in their wisdom, kindness and strength — as revealed in the extracts used in the reports included here, taken from the annals of Japan's literature, they helped the inhabitants — in their own strange way — to bring their culture to a better state.

How they acted to better society is an interesting question. This is where a particular viewpoint of how an esoteric group works is looked at and this angle has a bearing on the ways of the Yamabushi in this writing, otherwise they could be seen as just another group without any coherence, hardly worthy of study.

The Way of the Yamabushi as recluse is not limited to Japan alone, as the esoteric tradition is without geographic limit, based as it is on the mystical experience which transcends all cultures and in that act, integrates and unites all cultures — yet leaves each of them with their peculiarities intact. This is why this writing includes remarks, not only on Buddhism, but on mystical Christianity, among others.

By taking the Yamabushi to show a means and meaning and a way of achieving a fulfilling life I do not want to infer that the religion of Shugendo has any extraordinary merit. On the contrary, as a religion it has little possibility for rebirth or development as it is encrusted with the historical weight of the past and its sudden thrust into the tourist trade with advertised interest in its fire walking exploits will surely overwhelm what remains of the old ways. Today is not the moment of the old religions, except in their most eccentric and reactionary forms.

The modern Yamabushi — using updated tools — is happy to withdraw to the eternally present refuge of the physical and metaphysical mountain hideaways in the midst of daily life, as always, to continue the quest — this topic is spoken of in more detail in the Afterward.

It needs to be noted that there is a marked difference in the Oriental and particularly the Japanese approach to mountains and that of the average Westerner — it is not getting to the top that matters so much, rather it is the way of getting there; it is the process itself that is important. It may not even matter whether the top is reached or not! In fact the top may not be the obvious 'top'.

In Japan this has to do with a certain way of relating to nature. In engaging in such ascent the Japanese yearn to feel the mountain in themselves — whatever that may mean to others — and there is something important to be learned from this as it is a mystical yearning.

With the famous Rasputin as reference — a Shaman from the Siberian wastes who altered the course of Russian history — I give the Yamabushi a more universal credibility than most, so far, have been willing to give.

What is it about the mountain that can be drawn out and imbued by the man or woman of the mountain? Does the drawing power come from the mountain itself, or from the hidden contents and potential of the gyoja?

This is the mystery of the Yamabushi developed in, Yamabushi — the Third Force.

~ Tony Henderson, from the book Yamabushi - The Third Force.

That page also shows they had a very interesting (pivotal?) role at the end of the Warring States period and the the establishment of the Tokugawa Shogunate:

Several centuries later, in the Sengoku Period, yamabushi could be found among the advisors & armies of nearly every major contender for dominion over Japan. Some, led by Takeda Shingen, aided Oda Nobunaga against Uesugi Kenshin in 1568, while others, including the abbot Sessai Choro, advised Tokugawa Ieyasu. Many fought alongside their fellow monks, the Ikko-ikki, against Nobunaga, who eventually crushed them and put an end to the time of the warrior monks.

-------
For Onmyoji:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 972#548972

There has long been a close association between Yamabushi monks and the Tengu so much that the line between the two are often blurred:
Closely associated with the tengu are the yamabushi or shugenja, a sect of ascetic warrior-monks who sought power and enlightenment by living in the harsh, unforgiving, and supernaturally-auspicious environment of the mountains. Sharing the tengu's remote home and bad reputation, the yamabushi inevitably became associated with the bird-goblins, and often hold their image sacred. So universal was this correlation that tengu are almost always depicted wearing the mountain-ascetic's small black cap and pom-pommed sash.

Source.

The long-nosed variety of Tengu is often referred to as "Yamabushi Tengu": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu

Here's a question for ya'll - are Youkai also kami? Or are they outside of being considered kami? This article makes it sound like they are one and the same.

http://quasisemi.com/myth/
It is generally accepted that their are eight million kami.

Kami has been translated as soul, spirit, deity, and "beings placed higher" In general in can be considered any person, creature. or place of superlative quality. Another interpretation puts forth that everything has a kami. Every rock, person, plant, mountain and stream has (or is) a kami.

Purification plays a large part in Shintoism. Water, exorcism, and abstention are all methods of purification.

Izumo and Ise have special shrines. Amaterasu is enshrines at Ise. (Susano is probably enshrined at Izumo being his home province. But this is unconfirmed.)

Torii - The Shinto arch often depicted as two pillars with a single or double crossbar. This gateless entrance sits in front of all Shinto shrines differentiating it from a Buddhist temple.

Tengu - Creatures of Shinto mythology. Believed to live in trees in mountainous areas particularly the pines and cryptomerias (Japanese cedars) growing near Shinto shrines. Tengu are minor kami in their own rights. Legend has it that they are descended from Susano. Tengu live in colonies with a principle Tengu in charge. He is served by leaflet (messenger) Tengu. Tengu are part man and part bird in appearance. Tengu are winged with large beaks or noses . Sometimes Tengu are red in color. They are known to wear cloaks (sometimes made of leaves or feathers) and small black hats. They are skilled swordsman and taught Yoshisune (a Japanese hero) how to fight. The Tengu are more mischievous than evil. They take offense at being made the victim of a trick. Tengu are hatched from eggs like birds.

Oni - Creatures of Buddhist mythology. Due to the intermingling of the two traditions in Japan they really should be mentioned. They have a tendency to rape, pillage and be killed by the heroes of the story. They are of giant size usually have horns, and sometimes three eyes, fingers or toes. They come in pink, red, blue and grey. Oni are stupid, malicious, lecherous, and generally evil. Oni are capable of flight but don't use this to their advantage very often. They are known to carry a mallet.

A travelling Buddhist monk came upon an oni - looking as horrible and devilish as oni do but he was crying. Curious and compassionate the monk asked the oni what was wrong. The oni said that in his previous life he had been a man and at the moment of his death he was consumed by a desire for vengeance against his enemies. Because of this in this life he was incarnated as a oni. As an oni he visited vengeance upon his enemy and (because of the longer lives of oni) his children. He had just killed the last of his enemies line and he wasn't crying because of remorse over his actions but because of self pity. He was an oni consumed with a thirst to wreak vengeance on his enemy with his whole life to live out without an enemy to visit vengeance upon now that the whole family was dead.

Kappa - Small creatures more intelligent than the oni and not wholly evil. They can be placated by man and even have been known to impart skills, most notably is bone setting. Kappa resemble hairless monkeys with an indentation on the top of their heads. They are about the size of a 10 year old and are yellow green in color. They sometimes have scales or tortoise shell instead of skin. Kappa live in rivers, ponds, and lakes. They keep water in the indent on top of their heads if the water is spilled they lose their power. Kappa are vampires feeding off the blood through the anus. They can live on horse and cattle blood as well as human. A drowning victim found with a distended anus as well as unrecoved bodies were thought to be their victims. Kappas are also known for raping women. Kappas also have a liking for cucumbers and by inscribing a name and age on a cucumber and throwing into the body of water where a kappa lives a person can protect themselves from being a kappa victim. Despite all their bad habits kappas are strangely polite and completely trustworthy.

MrRING said:
Here's a question for ya'll - are Youkai also kami? Or are they outside of being considered kami?

I guess a Youkai can be a kami (or have a kami) just any person can but "kami" and "youkai" would describe two different qualities of its being. "Youkai" seems to connote something monstrous, grotesque while "kami" seems to connote a transendence of some sort.

My guess is that it is tied into the animistic aspects of Shinto (as everything would have a spirit) which is sort of confirmed by the Wikipedia entry (although it also shows that it is rather complex):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kami

It doesn't seem that connected with transcendence:

The most immediately striking theme in the Shinto religion is a great love and reverence for nature. Thus, a waterfall, the moon, or just an oddly shaped rock might come to be regarded as a kami; so might charismatic persons or more abstract entities like growth and fertility. As time went by, the original nature-worshipping roots of the religion, while never lost entirely, became attenuated and the kami took on more reified and anthropomorphic forms, with a formidable corpus of myth attached to them. (See also: Japanese mythology.) The kami, though, are not transcendent deities in the usual Western and Indian sense of the word - although divine, they are close to us; they inhabit the same world as we do, make the same mistakes as we do, and feel and think the same way as we do. Those who died would automatically be added to the rank of kami regardless of their human doings. (Though it is thought that one can become a ghost under certain circumstances involving unsettled disputes in life.) Belief is not a central aspect in Shinto, and proper observation of ritual is more important than whether one "truly believes" in the ritual. Thus, even those believing other religions may be venerated as kami after death, if there are Shinto believers who wish them to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto#Characteristics

Transcendence tends to sneak in via Buddhism and following Shinto doesn't preclude mixing it with other religions either.

The main trascendent figures are the Taoist sennin from the Chinese hsien - the leading figures amonsgt them being the Eight Immortals (themselves based on the Eighteeen Arhats of Buddhism) who figure heavily in Japanese art:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Immortals

I just watched the Miike version of the Great Youkai War (a wonderful film, btw), and part of the plot sees the young hero cristened a Kirin Rider at a local villiage ceremony. He is picked by one of the moving, human-powered paper dragons by being playfully bit on the head.

Is this a film-only tradition, or is there really a kirin rider of myth and legend?

Also, on the Yokai DVD was a short bit about a Yokai World Conference.

An earlier one is related here:
World conference on youkai in Tanabe
The "Third World Conference on Youkai (ghosts) -- Kumagusu Minakata and Youkai in Kumano" is scheduled for August 29 at Kinan Bunka Kaikan in Tanabe City, Wakayama Prefecture as part of the ongoing events of "Japan Expo: Experience Nanki-Kumano Exposition Resortpia Wakayama '99."

At the conference that is said to be the only one of its kind in the world, youkai researchers including Japanese cartoonist Shigeru Mizuki who is noted for his works such as "Gegegeno Kitarou" will gather and explore youkai from a global perspective. As the conference will be held in Kumano where many youkai legends are still talked about, organizers hope the charm of Kumano culture and mysteries will spread to the rest of the world.

At the same time, categorizing Kumagusu Minakata (1867-1941), a Wakayama-born worldwide famous naturalist, as a "modern youkai" for his unique and extraordinary achievements, participants in the conference will look back on his philosophy and accomplishments, and will search for a message directed to the 21st century. The conference will be transmitted live on the Internet (http://www.aikis.or.jp/live/youkai/).

The main speaker on the DVD is Natsuhiko Kyogoku:
Natsuhiko Kyogoku is the pen name of Katsuhiko Oe, a Japanese mystery writer, yokai researcher, and designer. His mystery works have a special feature of solving psychological riddles (tsukimono-otoshi) and referring folklore such as yokai. He is from Otaru, Hokkaido.

MrRING said:
I just watched the Miike version of the Great Youkai War (a wonderful film, btw), and part of the plot sees the young hero cristened a Kirin Rider at a local villiage ceremony. He is picked by one of the moving, human-powered paper dragons by being playfully bit on the head.

Is this a film-only tradition, or is there really a kirin rider of myth and legend?

Not sure. It seems to be somewhere in the region of a Unicorn or a dragon (weirdly also a misunderstood giraffe) so one could see how the idea of them possibly being ridden crops up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin

Though the qilin (Chinese: 麒麟), a creature in Chinese mythology, is sometimes called "the Chinese unicorn", it is a hybrid animal that looks less unicorn than chimera, with the body of a deer, the head of a lion, green scales and a long forwardly-curved horn. The Japanese version (called a kirin) more closely resembles the Western unicorn, even though it is based on the Chinese qilin.

Chinese from the time of the Han Dynasty had also visited East Africa, which may account for their odd legends of 'one-horned ogres'. The Ming dynasty voyages of Zheng He brought back giraffes, which were identified by the Chinese with another creature from their own legends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn

However, if you Google it the links point to The Great Yokai War (which I must watch).

That's a super site you've found there, some really sumptuous artwork, also quite a surreal browsing experience for a non-japanese reader.

I never realised there was a yokai that looks just like Rupert Murdoch too:

U426_nichibunken_0086_0002_0001.jpg

This thread was a fascinating read.

I don't believe I had ever come across this book before. Hirata Atsutane wrote a book called Senkyo ibun in 1822, which is described thusly in a new book about the work called When Tengu Talk:
In When Tengu Talk, Wilburn Hansen focuses on Senkyo ibun (1822), a voluminous work centering on Atsutane’s interviews with a fourteen-year-old Edo street urchin named Kozo Torakichi who claimed to be an apprentice tengu, a supernatural creature of Japanese folklore.

One of the reviews states there is a good summation published in English in 1967 of the original work:
Way back in 1967, the ethnologist Carmen Blacker wrote an article, "Supernatural Abductions in Japanese Folklore", in Asian Folklore Studies 26.2. This article, which is easy to acquire, is a decent summary of Hirata's Senkyo Ibun. When Tengu Talk is a necessary supplement to Blacker's article which gives us much more depth about Hirata and his world.

Fortunately, I have access to this article through the library! Torakichi is the name of the kid, and he met and old man who invited him to step into his rice bowl, which turned gigantic and took him to another world. Initially frightened, Torakichi eventually becomes an apprentice to the old man who was actually a tengu. Atsutane was a Japanese antiquarian looking for stories of ancient times and was particularly interested in the realm of the dead. He found out about the boy and went to see him and was able to find him. He apparently had bright eye which were referred to as "lower third white". Atsutane gave the boy a letter asking questions of his tengu. The tengu didn't appear, but the boy lived with the writer for awhile, haven been given leave by his master, and Atsutane and other antiquarian writers tried to get as many details from the kid about the other world as they could.

Back