• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Your Favourite UFO Photo

Eburacum45 said:
Actually there is nothing in the image at all; the searchlights were illuminating a layer of smoke caused by the ack-ack, and the whole thing was a case of mass hysteria and misidentification.
You can see this reasonably well because none of the light from the searchlights actually passes the level which the 'object' was supposed to be at; it was of course all absorbed by the smoke.
Three experienced observers including the commander of the anti-aircraft battery were unable to see anything but smoke, but vast numbers of other observers saw an inordinate number of objects, probably all caused by smoke and ack-ack explosions.

A fascinating case, but there is almost certainly nothing to it.

Was it not an entire Anti Aircraft Brigade of many batteries that let loose with many equally experienced observers reporting "aircraft" and lights! And was it not also in the report of this incident to President Roosevelt from the Chief of staff that upto 15 aircraft travelling from very slow to 200mph at altitudes of 9 to 18000 ft? This Photo is very interesting but I find the reports on the incident far more so.

xeno said:
Was it not an entire Anti Aircraft Brigade of many batteries that let loose with many equally experienced observers reporting "aircraft" and lights! And was it not also in the report of this incident to President Roosevelt from the Chief of staff that upto 15 aircraft travelling from very slow to 200mph at altitudes of 9 to 18000 ft? This Photo is very interesting but I find the reports on the incident far more so.

Yes, the reports are interesting, but mostly because almost everybody claims to have seen something different.
They are almost an casebook demonstration of the unreliability of witness testimony.

Bear in mind almost none of the people in Los Angeles at that time had any experience of aerial bombardment and antiaircraft fire; there were many similar false alarms during the 'phoney war' here in England. Once the German planes came over the anti-aircraft battalions in this country soon learnt to distinguish the outline of real planes from the mirages caused by searchlights playing on ack-ack smoke clouds.

Lansing Movie

this one always got me. I first read about it and saw the pictures in "THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF UFOS" by Ronald D. Story. An 8-mm motion picture film from a "close encounter of the III kind" which allegedly took place on , Friday Febuary 17, 1967, In Palmer, Mass. USA. Link below

click here

I always liked this one, since I saw it in Life magazine when I was a kid. It was said to be the first colour UFO photo, although I'm not sure if this is correct.

http://ufologie.net/htm/bluebookpics9966.htm

Scared me a little back then, because it sort of reminded me of the Martian machines in the 1953 version of The War of the Worlds.

It looks like that electronic game called Simon, where you had to push the coloured buttons in the right order.

naitaka said:
I always liked this one, since I saw it in Life magazine when I was a kid. It was said to be the first colour UFO photo, although I'm not sure if this is correct.

http://ufologie.net/htm/bluebookpics9966.htm
I wonder why the cropped version is rotated 90 deg anticlockwise from the full picture. It seems unneccesary and detracts from the impact.

Not a pic I recall seeing before.

Worth 1000 (who bill themselves as "The top image editing and art contest site on the web") are currently running a hoax UFO photo contest: Sightings
The rules of this game are thus: Your job is to create a UFO / abduction photo that looks so real, had it not appeared at Worth1000, people might have done a double take. Therefore it should contain some kind of 3d perspective, lighting or movement within it to make it ultra-realistic.

Frankly, most of them are pretty lame, and it's interesting to compare them with the much less dramatic allegedly 'real' photos submitted to UFO Evidence.

Well the fact that Meier's ex-wife claims she helped him fake them diminishes their credibility a little, wouldn't you say?

graylien said:
Well the fact that Meier's ex-wife claims she helped him fake them diminishes their credibility a little, wouldn't you say?

Hmm an ex wife. No axe to grind there then.?

We get very blase about photos these days, with photoshop et al. But back in the 70's with cranky old cameras and everyone watching his movememnts hoping to catch him out ? Add that to the fact he has and had only one arm and he sent his negatives to be developed at the local chemist, not at home ... ?

hmm, that first one looks pretty suspect. 1) he could have gotten closer 2) it looks like it could be suspended from something attached to the tree. it would have been better if he had changed angle to show it wasn't stuck to the tree for a start.

ruffready said:
Lansing Movie

this one always got me. I first read about it and saw the pictures in "THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF UFOS" by Ronald D. Story. An 8-mm motion picture film from a "close encounter of the III kind" which allegedly took place on , Friday Febuary 17, 1967, In Palmer, Mass. USA. Link below

click here

Oh! That was a great book.. I read it when I was a teenager. I had actually remembered that story as well, and I've tried to find any mention of it on the web but I couldn't remember many details so I didn't have any luck.

Looking at it again, 20 years later, there's a vaugely 2D quality to the frame shown on the webpage (same frame was shown in the book). Like perhaps it's a picture of a TV or movie screen. hm :?

J_Frank_Parnell said:
hmm, that first one looks pretty suspect. 1) he could have gotten closer 2) it looks like it could be suspended from something attached to the tree. it would have been better if he had changed angle to show it wasn't stuck to the tree for a start.

All i can say is, those 2 poor quality videos are not a patch on the original videos i saw, especially the first one.

If were gonna put someone under the microscope, lets examine the entire cannon. It is easy to take anything in isolation and make something out of nothing.

I have seen good quality copies of those 2 films and from them I deduced that they were both easy to produce fakes. The first uses false perspective to give an impresion of distance the second just a model on some wire of some kind. Yes lets all look at his work as a whole with all its obvious fakes :lol:

Sad to see the Oregon Trent photo exposed as a fake in the latest FT. Thought that was a classic, but one by one the classics are knocked off their perch, either through revealing how they were hoaxed or through confusing layers of information.

I quite like the unidentified bird-like object shot down by those guys in the US civil war. Anyone got a picture of that?

jimv1 said:
I quite like the unidentified bird-like object shot down by those guys in the US civil war. Anyone got a picture of that?

I'll post it if you admit to fallibility.

here's mine! if you zoom in a little, you can see these orange satellites. I found this picture on the web, last year. you can find more UFO-pictures at alienbabble.com and also pictures of aliens

mexico121204large.jpg

Last edited:
dont think ive ever seen a particularly compelling photo, even back when i was a kid, they all just elicit a lot of shoulder shrugging from me ... its the accounts that capture my imagination

Back