• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

George Stock Sighting / Photos (Passaic NJ; July 1952)

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
(This post originally appeared in the "Your Favourite UFO Photo" thread.)

I've been told you don't have a thread for this, George Stock in Passaic, NJ, took 5 photos of a UFO flying around his home on Valley Brook Avenue in 1952. He was a businessman and a friend was with him.

Here's the story:

https://www.openminds.tv/ufo-new-jersey-1952/7087

1656024514054.png

1656024554210.png

1656024807981.png

1656024617789.png

1656024660641.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been told you don't have a thread for this, George Stock in Passaic, NJ, took 5 photos of a UFO flying around his home on Valley Brook Avenue in 1952. He was a businessman and a friend was with him.
Here's the story: https://www.openminds.tv/ufo-new-jersey-1952/7087

There's more to the story than what's covered in that article. Stock and Riley were objects of investigation by the USAF and even the FBI.

This article:

https://www.saturdaynightuforia.com/html/articles/articlehtml/thephotographerstale.html

... covers two controversial incidents involving UFO sightings and photographs taken. The last half of this article provides considerable documentation on the Stock / Riley sighting and the curious conflicts between the two men's original stories and actions.

Here's the story:

https://www.openminds.tv/ufo-new-jersey-1952/7087

View attachment 56451

View attachment 56452

View attachment 56455

View attachment 56453

View attachment 56454

221, Brook Avenue, Passaic, the location of the alleged sighting:

46E15A10-C2B5-4054-8AF7-38E5253A5780.png

Both l and the memsahib commented on the number of aerial cables, not all of which are included in the above photo.

maximus otter

There's more to the story than what's covered in that article. Stock and Riley were objects of investigation by the USAF and even the FBI.

This article:

https://www.saturdaynightuforia.com/html/articles/articlehtml/thephotographerstale.html

... covers two controversial incidents involving UFO sightings and photographs taken. The last half of this article provides considerable documentation on the Stock / Riley sighting and the curious conflicts between the two men's original stories and actions.
I was looking at that article originally - however, I also thought it showed how ridiculous things were back in 1952. All that 'investigation' over those two men, and 5 photos taken of a UFO. They were 'investigated' as if they were criminals and had committed some awful act. That's just my own perception, but I couldn't believe what I was reading.
George Stock was an older man who 'lived quietly with his father', according to others. And he worked for the town of Passaic, NJ.
Could things really have been so archaic back then?
And then the 5 photos, which seem rather clear and showing something sizeable flying past, were attacked by a 'fishing string' theory.
Anything to simply dismiss their story and 5 photos of something incredible. I believe they had no explanation for this craft, and went after the two men, sad.
Also, if you read the first story before the Passaic NJ story, they did the same 'investigation' of that photo and tried to make it out to be 'fake'.
Which is why I went with the shorter article on the story, plus it had a photo of George Stock himself.
I think the photos are fascinating.

221, Brook Avenue, Passaic, the location of the alleged sighting:

View attachment 56462

Both l and the memsahib commented on the number of aerial cables, not all of which are included in the above photo.

maximus otter
Yes, that's the house - I've been past there many times, it seems to be unchanged.
We all have cables here, the front of our house has even more.

That UFO looks like a wide brimmed sun hat. Apparently that was the view of the Air Force, too.
Please take a look at this video at 9:30, which shows the actual uncropped photos -
you can see it is not a hat, and the house is shown, which also helps with the altitude of the object:

@skinny was kind enough to post this video.
This ufo sighting was a major big deal in this area at the time, and the CIA apparently thought so as well, because they paid George Stock a visit and wanted the negatives.

The shadows on this one look completely fake to me.

There is either some serious space-time distortion in this image or it is not real; the shape seems to be leaning 'backward' away from the photographer, and resembles a hole of some sort punched into cardboard.
Dpu7Om3VsAAUloF.jpg

Apparently the CIA was quite interested in these photos:

CIA Tweets About 1952 UFO Flap and Gives Citizens Advice on Photographing a UFO

12/30/2017

A few days ago, the CIA tweeted a photograph of an alleged flying saucer over New Jersey, which was part of a massive wave of UFO sightings in 1952 that included the famous Washington DC UFO incident. In the same tweet, the CIA linked to a blog offering guidance on how to photograph UFOs:
Picture
Picture

Is this stunning tweet made by the US Central Intelligence Agency a part of UFO and Alien Disclosure? Is the CIA hinting to US citizens that they are about to see another UFO flap like in 1952, and so to have their cameras ready? Could the triangle UFO wave of the last few years be alien in origin?

Although the CIA released top-secret UFO files a while ago and also blogged about them a while ago, it is interesting that the agency is choosing to resurface this information right now, considering the New York Times just released an article revealing a top-secret modern-day UFO research program funded by the Pentagon.

https://www.texasufosightings.com/buzz/cia-tweets-1952-ufo-flap

More information and video regarding George Stock's UFO sighting:

ON JULY 29, 1952 George Stock was in his backyard at 381 Brooks Avenue, Passaic, New Jersey when he took the following pictures of a UFO that flew over his house. It was estimated that the Flying Saucer was 25-29 feet in diameter and about 200 feet off the ground.

Stock ran after the craft and took these photos, his friend John H. Riley witnessed the 4:30 PM event.

The craft had a blue gray metallic body color, its dome was greenish blue. These photos are thought to be legit. Stock was NOT known to be a prankster, also the tilt of the craft is from Stock turning his camera as he ran.

https://www.santafeghostandhistorytours.com/UFO-SIGHTINGS.html

(The address is incorrectly stated as '381 Brooks Avenue', it is actually '221 Brook Avenue'.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a typical 'saucer' seen in the 50's and early 60's . I'm no expert but it would seem that would be relatively easy to fake with hanging something or throwing it up to photgraph.....?

Looks like a typical 'saucer' seen in the 50's and early 60's . I'm no expert but it would seem that would be relatively easy to fake with hanging something or throwing it up to photgraph.....?
Obviously you didn't look at the video or read up on this UFO sighting, which was measured at being 25 feet in diameter or so.
And he took several photos, at different altitudes and angles.

Obviously you didn't look at the video or read up on this UFO sighting, which was measured at being 25 feet in diameter or so.
And he took several photos, at different altitudes and angles.
I did look at the video and realized I had seen it in the past but never paid attention to the Stock part.
Who and how was it measured at 25 feet?; and just because several photos were taken doesn't mean its legit.
My point was that many hoaxed photos similar to these have turned up over the years. It's possible Mr Stock saw a 'real' ufo.

George Stock had other witnesses as well - his father was there, and also a friend.
My point was that the various photos show the object at different altitudes and angles, it's not just one photo that could be anything.
And why would the CIA be so concerned, if it was nothing.

Back