Your Memories Of Football Past & Present

Gene Hunt73

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
A thread to post your favourite football memories, moments, anecdotes and anything in between.
I'll start with the epic Manchester United v Bayern Munich European cup final.1999. The final 3 minutes.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
First football match:

14/10/85: Maidstone United Vs Tottenham

A testimonial for Brian Thompson.

Kickoff 7.30 p.m.

Tottenham generously sent their full squad--including multiple England players. It was a cold Monday night and my father and I had to hop down the potholed access road full of puddles. The place was packed and the floodlights gave it an otherworldly appearance.

I couldn't believe I was there, nor that the players off the telly were feet away.

Gene Hunt73

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
A snapshot of the greatest French footballer..

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Most of it isn't about the match but the collateral damage during away matches. The whole thing about staying overnight in a strange town or doing a convoy is pretty special.

It's funny when you go to matches how little is spent watching the pitch but more about catching up with the muppets and vagabonds you only see there.

Also, I support a shit team/s and we never do any good in anything.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Since the early 90s, before which time I'd only taken a vague interest in football, I've considered myself a Chelsea fan. Suddenly, there was a team that contained the likes of Hoddle, Gullit and Vialli, and it seemed so much more exciting than boring old Liverpool or Manchester (boring only because everyone appeared to support one of those two, I hasten to add).

Anyway, I still haven't been to many games, but on one occasion, my then-boss (a Coventry City fan) asked me if I fancied going to see Coventry play Chelsea in the PL. Obviously, I jumped at the chance, even though I'd have to sit with the home fans.

Anyway, the stage was set for a great game, until I saw the players take to the pitch. Somehow, Chelsea hadn't managed to bring a kit that didn't clash with that of Coventry, so they had to play in Coventry's 3rd strip! The sight of Gianfranco Zola wearing a shirt sponsored by Peugeot was a strange one, to say the least! I can't now remember much about the game itself, except I think it ended 2-2, and Gordon Strachan was the best (and probably the oldest!) player on the pitch.

Gene Hunt73

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Pity that was upstaged by the Liverpool champions league win under Benitez.
I disagree Manchester United's victory for pure drama to come back in injury time after being under the cosh for so long.
Scoring 2 goals after the 90th minute on what would have been Sir Matt Busby's 90th birthday, the man who lead the way for English club football in Europe. Winning the Champions League in 1999 also sealed a unique treble win of FA cup and the League will take some beating.
Compared to Liverpool fluking a win against an average ageing AC Milan side there is no comparison. I seem to remember Gerrard ™ (the best midfielder of his generation..nope) diving for a penalty.
But being a Manchester United fan I maybe a little biased!

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
In 2001 my grandad was 93 years old and still living on his own, in his own house, and without any outside help or intervention. He had always been a robust unit and, for his age, was very fit and healthy - which is what made a panicky call from my mum one evening so worrying. She hadn’t been able to raise him on the phone, and when she went round to check on him, had found him in bed - he’d been very sick all around the house, and was semi-delirious and with a very high temperature. Being just round the corner I ran round to help. We tidied around a bit and I went and sat with him and asked him if there was anything he wanted. He didn’t reply at first, and I wasn’t sure my words had registered, but then I heard him whisper something about the football and remembered the international that had been about to start when I'd bolted from my place - so I brought a TV into the bedroom and tuned in.

It felt like he'd been holding death's door handle when I arrived, but by the end of the match he was half sitting up with a glint in his eye and cheering at the screen in a croaky whisper.

I swear to god this match saved his life:

(Turned out he had an infected gall bladder with some other quite serious – for his age - complications. But he recovered enough to go back home and live just shy of his hundredth birthday.)

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly! Nine posts in and not even a pic of Ron Manager, let alone a "jumpers for goalposts" reference. I do wonder sometimes.

Anyway, Ashton Gate, c1979, Bristol City vs Wolves. Home win, 2-0. Not very exciting.

Incidentally, there's a local line about why Billy Graham chose Ashton Gate as a venue for his tour in '84 - it was a place used to having 20,000 people stand up and shout "Jesus Christ" at the same time.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Surely one of the greatest football stories of all time is Carlisle United's escape from relegation (and very likely bankruptcy) with a last-second goal from on-loan goalkeeper Jimmy Glass.

Carlisle had sold their only goalkeeper to help their finances and signed Glass on an emergency loan and needed to win their last game to avoid relegation out of the league. They went behind to Plymouth, but equalised from captain David Brightwell.

When Carlisle won a corner in stoppage time , the referee told several players that it would be the last action before he ended the game. Graham Anthony's corner was headed by Scott Dobie but rebounded back to Jimmy Glass who volleyed home the goal that saved the club.

If that was a story in Roy of the Rovers, people would have said it was too far-fetched! Carlisle manager Nigel Pearson later went on to keep Leicester up against the odds, but it was nowhere near as dramatic as the Great Escape of Brunton Park.

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-...e-escape-from-relegation-in-football-history/

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
...the stage was set for a great game, until I saw the players take to the pitch. Somehow, Chelsea hadn't managed to bring a kit that didn't clash with that of Coventry, so they had to play in Coventry's 3rd strip! The sight of Gianfranco Zola wearing a shirt sponsored by Peugeot was a strange one, to say the least! I can't now remember much about the game itself, except I think it ended 2-2, and Gordon Strachan was the best (and probably the oldest!) player on the pitch.
It just shows how memory can be unreliable:

I was probably thinking of Mark Hughes rather than Glenn Hoddle, Chelsea's first goal was scored by Paul Hughes, a name I don't remember at all, and they lost 3-1! I'll still give Strachan man-of-the-match, though.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Thankfully plenty of football memories but how many Fortean or even unusual ones?

About five years ago I was driving past the site of the old Arsenal stadium, colloquially known as Highbury.

I must have watched about 300 games at Highbury?

(In 2006 they moved to a new stadium approximately 500 yards away.)

It was about 4am.

It is now a development of private flats, but with the original stand facades left in place; they are listed.

The pitch is now a garden for the residents.

Someone had left an access gate open..so I walked in and sat on a bench.

Had it been a working stadium, I would have been sitting on the pitch, back to the East Stand, facing the West stand, level with the edge of the Clock End (South) penalty area.

I lasted five minutes.

I could sense the movement of the players, the movement of the ball...patterns of movement...dynamics in the air.
I could sense the emotions of the people in the stands.

It is a place where I bonded with family and friends over four decades.

Revisiting it was far too much for me, many emotions in me.

Had to leave.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
In my teens a few of us used to go to Tottenham home matches. I was trying to remember how much it was to get in - can't remember for sure but it could've been as little as £1.50 to stand, just queue at the turnstile.

We used to stand in the same spot in White Hart Lane as did many, so often used to see the same people. One man I remember was an older chap, reminded me of Andy Capp, smallish, mac & cap. Always came on his own & what I remember were his loud pronouncements of "Peters you cunt", Chivers you cunt" & so on if a move didn't work out. This was to the team he was supporting.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
In my teens a few of us used to go to Tottenham home matches. I was trying to remember how much it was to get in - can't remember for sure but it could've been as little as £1.50 to stand, just queue at the turnstile.

We used to stand in the same spot in White Hart Lane as did many, so often used to see the same people. One man I remember was an older chap, reminded me of Andy Capp, smallish, mac & cap. Always came on his own & what I remember were his loud pronouncements of "Peters you cunt", Chivers you cunt" & so on if a move didn't work out. This was to the team he was supporting.
I went to see Spurs Vs West Ham at Upton Park in the mid to late-80s.

I must have been about ten years old

It was a great game--incredibly loud--but the big memory is of my having walked into the gents' to find two West Ham supporters repeatedly smashing a third man's face into a blood-smeared wall.

I turned 180⁰ and was gone in a second.

CarlosTheDJ

Sio Bibble
Reaction score
The most local team to me when growing up was Coventry City - 11 year old me and me mates had a whale of a time in 1987!

The first game most of attended in person was at Highfield Road, a friend was taken for his birthday and was allowed to bring three of us as a treat.

City scored early, the elation of the cheer going up was indescribable. Unfortunately we didn't experience it again as we were playing Liverpool and swiftly lost 6-1.

Oh look I can relive the horror here.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I went to see Spurs Vs West Ham at Upton Park in the mid to late-80s.

I must have been about ten years old

It was a great game--incredibly loud--but the big memory is of my having walked into the gents' to find two West Ham supporters repeatedly smashing a third man's face into a blood-smeared wall.

I turned 180⁰ and was gone in a second.
As a Millwall supporter (through accident of birth) I have been to a good few games against West Ham, both home and away. Always extremely noisy, invariably quite bloody!

Gene Hunt73

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
My first visit to Old Trafford and what a cracking match.
The second leg of the old European cup winners cup, after suffering a 2-0 defeat at the Nou Camp in Barcelona. Manchester United faced a Maradona inspired side but after a couple of goals by Captain Bryan Robson and a third by Stapleton Utd sealed a memorable 3-0 win.
Robson had a prime Maradona in his pocket for 90 minutes.
The sheer noise that night still lingers with me.
One of or not the best nights of European football to be played at Old Trafford and certainly my favourite.

Last edited:

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The Sherpa Van Trophy or whatever it was called some 25 or so years ago.

Preston North End (in the old Division 4) played Burnley (in the old Division 3). Burnley fans reckoned that Burnley would easily beat PNE. PNE had a player on his debut Ronnie Jepson and Burnley had practically filled the away end (which was then in the Town End).

Twenty minutes into the game and PNE were 4-0 up, including a Ronnie Jepson hat-trick. At this point I heard the best tannoy announcement ever:

"Would Mr Roy Jones on the Town End please meet his dad on the car park. He wants to go home." :)

Gene Hunt73

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
138408123_10225522138539366_568857344976784276_o.jpg

David Beckham: A dedicated follower of fashion.
(I had that shirt)
Alex Ferguson holds the first contract Beckham signed on the bonnet of his cortina..

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
@hunck

Verbal abuse of players by their own fans is common.
Football attracts some people who take out all their frustration at games.
Some disaffected and "loner" type people who live for it.
Some on the Autistic spectrum.

Have witnessed an Arsenal fan really tearing into Dennis Bergkamp during a game.

Think about that!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I have mentioned in a posting or two, growing up as Partick Thistle supporter in Maryhill, a short walk from the ground.

My dad was a Celtic supporter and worked as a British Rail sleeping car attendant, on the Kings Cross - Aberdeen overnight train.

Consequently, he was frequently away from home and late 1960s, dad was happy when my uncle, an avid Thistle fan, offered safe passage to watch the Jags play at Firhill.

First game versus Aberdeen and that was that, basically.

How many of your good selves were so enthralled and captivated by similar first experience, especially as a youngster, there was no way back!!!

There's talk of greatest team performances ever.

Nothing can surpass what happened when I stood on the Hampden terraces this day.

Dalglish's Celtic were unbeatable, invincible.

We stood no chance, it was only a question of how many they would score.

Couple of Maryhill schoolmates and myself ended up amongst mostly Celtic fans, one of whom arrives late, when we had scored the two early goals.

'What's the score', he asks.

'It's 2-0', he's told.

We immediately score the third.

'Ach, that'll make a game of it then', he surmises.

Gene Hunt73

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
After being kicked from pillar to post by inferior Crystal Palace defender's and getting no protection from the referee.
Cantona reacts to a poor challenge gets sent off. Then a fan insults his mother and suggests that he should go back to France.
Let's kick racism out of football Cantona style.
An eight month ban and a quote..
"when the seagulls follow the trawler it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea" he helps Manchester United to go on and win a league and FA cup double.

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Thankfully plenty of football memories but how many Fortean or even unusual ones?
Some years ago, my folks moved from Glasgow to Galashiels and I frequently played football with local lads.

One of them was half decent, although rumour has it (seriously!) I was the better player.

Don't know what happened to him career wise.

Some guy called John Collins...

Gene Hunt73

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Some years ago, my folks moved from Glasgow to Galashiels and I frequently played football with local lads.

One of them was half decent, although rumour has it (seriously!) I was the better player.

Don't know what happened to him career wise.

Some guy called John Collins...
Didn't he go on to play in Germany for Dortmond?