• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Your Scariest Ghost?

Thanks guys, I understand now, from what you've described you're shadow people are more like silhouettes than shadows. I can see why the dark featurless figures would freak people, you wouldn't be able to judge their posture or the look on there faces, making them automatically less 'human' and more the dark malevolent 'thing'

The shadow people I've always seen are shadows, but solid, they have form and shading within the darkness and although by the time my brain has told me there's somebody there all I can see is the shadowed form I've always been able to describe what they looked like, it's almost as if the logical bit of my brain kicking in and telling me that what I'm seeing couldn't logically be there so it doesn't have to fill in the details.

In a recent issue of the FT, someone shared an IHTM about a shadow person that followed him and his friend home. I was reading that at 11:30, home alone, with those cheap/dim/energy saving bulbs my only salvation; I nearly pissed myself. Nearly.

There are a bazillion things that would scare me to death, and something that comes right to mind was discussed in anther thread -

If I were every showering, and some Thing put its head either around the curtain, or through the top of the curtain gap, I'd die. I dunno why that scares me so much, but it would indeed frighten me to no end.

Dead things scare me too. Looking outside my kitchen window and seeing a corpse lying face down in my driveway would do the trick. Same with opening the bathroom door, only to have a cadaver collapse onto me. Head floating in the toilet? Brrrrr.

It also makes me very uneasy when people touch the base of the back of my neck. Probably something to do with my spine, who knows.

Nickedoff

What you're describing sounds more like living with a cat, especially seeing corpses in the driveway

The ghost that has frightened me most was actually on the cover of a book I had a child in the mid to late 1970s. It was a book of ghost stories; whilst I'm not entirely sure of the title I'm pretty sure it was a Ruth Manning Sanders one as the illustrations were done by the sadly missed Robin Jacques, one of my favourite illustrators.

On the cover of the book, was a photo of what was basically a mock-up of a ghost with a sheet, an old ladies wig and ping-pong balls for bulging spectral eyes. It does sound much but it terrified me and 30 years later still gives me the shivers as I can picture it vividly even now. I loved the book for both the stories and the fantastic illustrations but couldn't cope with the cover and eventually ripped the cover off.

I've just tried Amazon for likely candidates and the book I think it might be is going for 129 quid, a shame as I wouldn't mind collecting some more Jacques-illustrate books.

I wouldn't want to meet anything that resembled Leaferne's avatar either.

I so hate to tell this,,,cause I feel like I am hurting my mothers feelings...but the most scared I felt in my life was the night my mother died....

She was in hospital in OKC, and dad had the machines turned off that morning..I was still in denial thinking she would be Ok,,,but that evening she died...I had to drive an hour and 1/2 to my dads by myself at 1:00 in the morning and was praying that she wouldnt pick that time to contact me...Do you understand what I am saying? Well ,,,bless her heart,,,she waited till the next week and came to me in a dream and we went driving around our old town and yaking....MUCH BETTER!...

ccoomer said:
I wouldn't want to meet anything that resembled Leaferne's avatar either.

Was this before the current Dinosaur pic? What did it look like if so?

Don't think I have ever seen a ghost, and probably would be more curious that scared, however, having an over active imagination, I can share the few things that would scare the white off me.
1. Walking into my bedroom and seeing a devil like entity ( think flash sequence in original exorcist film) sitting on the edge of my bed.

2. creep clown leering over me as I sleep

3. disembodies head moving across the floor. When i was a kid, we used to camp out alot. Always had this nightmare thought of unzipping th etent and seeing a head there, winking at me.

and finally, i have always found the Bumble from the rudolph movie rather disturbing.

dilemma29 said:
and finally, i have always found the Bumble from the rudolph movie rather disturbing.

Ha ha, me too! Scared the crap out of me as a kid. I love him now, tho.

It's the tiger-y one with the four white squares in the bottom right.

Here's a picture of Bumble, which scared me too -

or a link of that picture doesn't work -
http/i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/n ... 06af4b.jpg
Mod Edit: The former link and picture post were part of Photobucket which has since deleted them.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the picture nickedoff. There goes 15 years of therapy down the plumbing! cant sleep, bumble will eat me..............

Oh the abominable snowman! Didn't know his name. I loved him! I think the snowman at the beginning was my favorite character though. Or the elf who wanted to be a dentist. Or, you know, Rudolph. :D :D :D

Now I want to see the movie again!

dilemma29 said:
Walking into my bedroom and seeing a devil like entity ( think flash sequence in original exorcist film) sitting on the edge of my bed
The only thing that I ever found frightening in the film. As a kid, I was really into movie monsters, and was well aware of masks, make-ups, Rick Baker, Dick Smith, et al.
But that friggin' face gave me nightmares well into my teens.

nickedoff12 said:
It's the tiger-y one with the four white squares in the bottom right.

Here's a picture of Bumble, which scared me too -
a606af4b.jpg

or a link of that picture doesn't work -
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/n ... 06af4b.jpg

This is tooooo cute!

CALGACUS03 said:
However, just as they would be about to pass her, she would suddenly spin around and they would see that there was no head inside the bonnet. At this point, the ghost would pull open the basket she was carrying, to display the head inside, that would leap out of the basket at the terrified witness and pursue them down the lane.

Bloody hell

Probably the Readers Digest book of that title which is well worth the few quid it'll cost you if you bump into it in a second hand bookshop - there is indeed an illustration accompanying the story. Some great artwork in it - a few by Eric Fraser who did a lot of fantastic woodcuts, or what look like woodcuts.

The story comes from the Longridge area of Lancashire - although I suppose there's no reason that a similar story might not be native to Norfolk.

Spookdady; you were correct, it was Lancashire. Here's the picture that so terrified me as a kid.

ghost.jpg

The thought of encountering that, presumably during the day time (when to my childish mind any self-respecting ghost should be tucked-up wherever ghosts go when the sun's up) totally horrified me.

There was/is also a book on Scottish ghosts (called, imaginatively enough, "Scottish Ghost Stories") that was chock-full of horrifying illustrations that seemed to have been designed to terrify any small children that picked it up. I see by Googling that this was by Elliott ODonnell and is still available, though the edition on Amazon now seems to lack the illustrations that I remember.

It's rather cool and interesting that they're worse in your head. Many's the time I freaked myself out deliberately looking at that Newby church photo. Or the faces of Belmez on the floor tiles. I have to say they look a bit lame now from a non-child's perspective. It is a bit disappointing isn't it.

But art is a lot about what it evokes in the viewer. Especially if the viewer is little and somewhat enjoys scaring themselves. It's funny isn't it, I suppose half the attraction is wanting to believe there are Things out there that are beyond our ability to control. And yet most people like most things controlled to the nth degree. I'm waffling I think.

I think with that Scottish ghosts book half the spookiness is the black-and-whiteness for some reason.

I say this with absolutely no disrespect intended. There are only 10 people in this thread that are still living and that's including me. I find that fact to be a little frightening. :wide:

There are a few things that really terrify me.

1) The sound of loud footsteps running at you when there is no one in sight.
2) I''m not sure how to describe this. It's when you see something unbelievable so, you shut your eyes and give your head a shake but, when you open your eyes again, they are not only still there but have actually moved closer to you.
3) These guys...

The 'faceless ghost' trope mentioned above reminds me what, as a child, would have scared me the most.

Not a headless ghost, as you'd spot that and be able to leg it ln good time, but one when someone turns around and you only realise at the last minute that Messrs Eyes, Nose and Mouth are not at home... o_O

I say this with absolutely no disrespect intended. There are only 10 people in this thread that are still living and that's including me. I find that fact to be a little frightening. :wide:

How d'you mean? Who's dead?
Well, I'm not, for a start.

Isn't that what it means when it says, "Gone but not forgotten. Account Retired" under peoples avatars?

No, it means they have stopped posting but are welcome back if they want to rejoin.
Although there are certainly some deceased Board members whom we remember with affection. I can think of at least four.

Back