• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Yuletide Tradition?

Littlegreylady

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I was having an argument with the family the other day about Christmas trees. They were arguing that xmas trees were first intriduced into this country via Prince Albert from Germany.

I thought that decorating trees came from the pagans and that it was done in this country hundreds of years ago, but was wiped out by the Christians.

Is this true or have I just made it up? :shock:

AFAIK, it was a German tradition to bring the tree indoors, perhaps we didn't. Certainly there were Pagan traditions of decorating Oak trees - there's a story of a saint discovering the 'heathens' worshipping an oak, which he then cut down and was amazed to see a pine spring up from the stump.
Ahem.
Anyways, take a look at the Kew Gardens site here.

Thanks ProfessorF - that link was really helpful.

But the use of evergreens to decorate homes at midwinter originates from pagan times when, throughout northern Europe, branches were cut and displayed as a symbol that the sun would return

That's probably where I got it from and I just twisted it to prove myself right :D

Let's not forget mistletoe & the yule log - the oldies are the best unlike fibre optic decorations which I find a little tacky.

We hedge (!) our bets in this household - the fibre optic artificial tree stands next to a big bunch of mistletoe, holly and ivy in a jug.

We've done that too - I've got a big sprig of Mistletoe by the door and a real Christmas tree in the corner. I've also got some candle decorations my mum made with holly, firs and various other green bits.

I thought the christmas tree was a symbol of Christianities triumph over paganism .

not sure where i got this from though

Something about Boniface (when converting German Pagans) chopping down an old oak which German pagans decorated and venerated and then a fir tree grew in its place .

Just came across this old Yule poem by Icelandic author Jóhannes úr Kötlum (1899 - 1972),

The Yule Lads (The Original Poem “Jólasveinarnir”)
December 16, 2011
The original poem! I found this on the internet way-back machine and decided to host it here. Enjoy – it is truly a treasure.

“Jólasveinarnir” by Jóhannes úr Kötlum
English translation/Copyright © Hallberg Hallmundsson.
Illustration by Olafur Petursson

https://talesofyngiwulf.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/the-yule-lads-the-original-poem-jolasveinarnir/

Back