• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Bio Zombie, a '90s Hong Kong spoof of Dawn Of The Dead. I haven't watched it yet so I don't know if it's any good.

Bio Zombie, a '90s Hong Kong spoof of Dawn Of The Dead. I haven't watched it yet so I don't know if it's any good.

Clerks Vs Zombies. Most of the action takes place in a Hong Kong Shopping Mall as slacker employees battle with and become Zombies. Comedy/Horror. Well worth a watch.

Rise Of The Zombie: Hindi Horror! Maybe Zombies appear eventually but I got fed up with the singing and dancing after 15 minutes. In English and hindi with English subtitles. 1h 26min. IMDb score is 4.2/10. (On Netflix.)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2633598/

Rise Of The Zombie: Hindi Horror! Maybe Zombies appear eventually but I got fed up with the singing and dancing after 15 minutes. In English and hindi with English subtitles. 1h 26min. IMDb score is 4.2/10. (On Netflix.)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2633598/
Yeah, I can't watch Indian films for that very reason. I really dislike musicals.

Yeah, I can't watch Indian films for that very reason. I really dislike musicals.

It wasn't really a musical, just an excess of singing and dancing which didn't seem to fit in given that the film wasn't light hearted.

I quite like musicals.

That'll be Bollywood you won't like, Ramon, they almost all have those crunching gear changes between the drama, romance, thrills, comedy and dancing.

I think it's pretty much a given that nearly everyone regards Night Of The Living Dead as the first modern zombie apocalypse film (apart from the few who argue for Omega Man) as we recognise zombie films today .. I'd say the first time a modern zombie apocalypse scenario being described to an audience (because let's face it, George Romero didn't have the time or money to shoot it) was Duane Jone's epic monologue as Ben talking to a catatonic Barbara .. even before we see hoards of zombies shuffling towards their prey for the first time ever later on in the film ..

The real crime is that Duane's excellent one take speech/monologue hasn't been uploaded to youtube yet, it paints a scene that would fit in perfectly with a The Walking Dead scene even today .. I remember reading somewhere that when Duane finished the entire one take scene, he burst in to tears .. it was that difficult.

Here's an interview with Duane and following that, someone reading (sadly not even half as well as Duane but at least he's tried so I forgive and thank him) that epic speech from the film that created the blueprint still used to this day ..

edit: found it (and the full movie) .. Duane's speech starts at 25:10 here ..

Last edited:
I just watched The Serpent and the Rainbow, based loosely around the story of 'real' zombies from Haiti.

The Vincent Price film The Last Man on Earth from 1964 was reputedly an influence on Romero, or rather the book it was based on, I Am Legend by the great Richard Matheson. It was written in 1954.

The Vincent Price film The Last Man on Earth from 1964 was reputedly an influence on Romero, or rather the book it was based on, I Am Legend by the great Richard Matheson. It was written in 1954.

Worth pointing out that Matheson wasn't too pleased with the film versions of his classic book, I don't think he liked the Will Smith adaptation either, and no wonder, they completely changed the ending, and the whole point of his work.

I can confirm that Romero said just that at Dragoncon the year that I saw him speak there, so it's totally a fact. He said the wanted to adapt I Am Legend but he couldn't get the rights. So upon reflection he thought if he changed vampire to cannibalism, that he could cover what he wanted to with the film and the rest was history.

Another interesting tidbit: he was an obsessive fan of the Powell/Pressburger Tales of Hoffman, and his public library would allow patrons to check out a 16MM print of it. He kept checking it out, but sometimes somebody else had the film. That somebody else turned out to be Martin Scorsese. One of Romero's great lost film attempts was a sci-fi version of Tales of Hoffaman - it wasn't made, but there is a suite of music from the intended project on the Creepshow soundtrack.

When you know all the great ideas Romero had that never came to fruition because he was "the zombie guy" it's a real shame he didn't get the chance to explore his range. I suppose there's always Knightriders.

One of Romero's great lost film attempts was a sci-fi version of Tales of Hoffaman - it wasn't made, but there is a suite of music from the intended project on the Creepshow soundtrack.

Would that suite of music used for Creepshow instead include the jazz song (Jazz Traditional - Erik Markman) that was playing on the jukebox in the final cockroach episode 'Sometimes They Creep Up On You' by any chance ? .. (that jazz song was used again for the cellar scene and end credit roll in The Evil Dead and it drove us all nuts for decades trying to track the title down with only Creepshow for a clue)

Would that suite of music used for Creepshow instead include the jazz song (Jazz Traditional - Erik Markman) that was playing on the jukebox in the final cockroach episode 'Sometimes They Creep Up On You' by any chance ? .. (that jazz song was used again for the cellar scene and end credit roll in The Evil Dead and it drove us all nuts for decades trying to track the title down with only Creepshow for a clue)

It's not on that version of the soundtrack - it's on THIS ONE:
Presenting composer John Harrison's (DAY OF THE DEAD, TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE, EFFECTS) score to George A. Romero's (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE DARK HALF) and Stephen King's (CARRIE, SALEM'S LOT, DREAMCATCHER, THE SHINING) timeless horror classic CREEPSHOW. This digitally re-mastered album features special, never-before-released BONUS TRACKS including Harrison's music from the famed George A. Romero television series TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE, a never-before-heard overture Harrison composed for MANSIONS OF THE MOON (an unproduced sci-fi version of the Opera TALES OF HOFFMAN), and two songs from an outrageous send up of 1950's musicals and Horror Films called SHOOBIE DOOBIE MOON -- both Romero projects that were never filmed!!! The 12-Page, full color, comic book style booklet includes exclusive liner notes from the composer and director, along with an in-depth essay on the making of all the projects by Film Music Historian Randall D. Larson!

Ravenous: A Zombie plague has struck in Quebec, survivors in a rural area band together against the hungry hordes who attempt to eat them at every opportunity. To survive they must cooperate but suspicion is rife, the slightest bite will turn you into snap happy zombie. A woman claims that she was just bitten by a dog, is this the truth? Your own relatives are likely to have joined the undead. Some good acting in the portrayal of the survivors but anyone is liable to be suddenly snatched from the narrative by a bite and a subsequent bullet.

The film is largely shot around a farmhouse, in pastures and in forests. Some great shots of zombies emerging from mists but also scenes of armed survivors looming from the haze bring to mind the Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile battle sequence from The Wind That Shakes the Barley. We are drip fed a back story but are left in the dark as to how widespread the plague is or what caused it. The zombies appear to gain a sort of intelligence and build ziggurats of furniture, especially chairs. Child zombies erect piles of toys. Are these bonfires of the vanities or a worship of consumer objects as in the Mall sequences of Dawn Of The Dead?

Exploding heads, bloody bites, the film can be disturbing at times. The zombies for the most part look human albeit with wounds.Tightly directed and scripted by Robin Aubert with ace editing by Francis Cloutier and some beautiful hues of green forest and meadow and grey mist captured by cinematographer Steeve Desrosiers. 8/10. On Netflix.

Wait, another film called Ravenous? What's with all these titles being reused these days?

Its original title was Les Affamés, literally meaning The Famished. But Ravenous expresses it better.

Pandemic: Zombie outbreak! Five stages of the contagion, 1 flu like symptoms, 2 & 3 stages of escalating aggression, 4 hibernation, 5 full rabid zombie. The film opens in a military compound near Los Angeles, the infected are treated, monitored and euthanised. Teams are sent out to locate and extract the uninfected. A team has disappeared but had located a group of survivors.

A new team consisting of a driver (Alfie Allen), doctor (Rachel Nichols), a gunner (Mekhi Phifer) and a navigator (Missi Pyle) are sent out in a bus to retrieve the survivors. But each of them have motives other than just carrying out the mission. No Oscar winning performances but convincing in their roles when the story unfolds.

LA is devastated,buildings burning, civilisation broken down, gangs of the infected ruling the streets. Some of plague ridden aren't just aggressive, they are intelligent enough to set traps to attack the extraction teams. Most of the action is seen through POV body-cameras, so the action shakes, tumbles, the screens get splattered with blood. Even when the team are leaving the compound they come under attack from hordes as they exit in the bus through a tunnel. Some of the infected are now starting to eat human flesh.

Nothing particularly new in this zombie flick and at times it feels like a video game but it is competently directed by John Suits with an intelligible script/plot by Dustin Benson, multi-perspective cinematography by Mark Putnam which along with the editing by Nicholas Larrabure maintains a coherent narrative. If you like Zombie films then you'll like this. On Netflix. 6.5/10

The Thing (Complete Score) - Ennio Morecombe and John Carpenter

Eric's Italian cousin?
That's the fella ..

morecambe_and_wise_main.jpg

Back