• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
More Day Of The Dead locations .. I'd kill to go down into that cave/mushroom farm

Watching Day of the Dead on Horror Channel right now (the remake).

I'd have to watch the original again to make a proper comparison (can't really remember it).
It was OK...but just 'OK'.

I liked the original, not sure if I;ve seen the remake. There is a sequel/reboot out this year: Day of The Dead: Bloodline.

Day Of The Dead Bloodline: Chaos on the streets, weird looking characters bite people, blood spurts, a typical night in Temple Bar, Dublin? No it's a Zombie Outbreak and medical student Zoe (Sophie Skelton) wends her way through the mayhem, calling her mother to warn her to stay indoors. Flashback to a few hours earlier, a weird blood donor, Max (Johnathon Schaech) has an obsession with Zoe and is attacking her when a corpse comes to life and bites the creep. .Zoe flees to a students party where the professor goes Zombie and eats the face off a student and then the risen corpse bursts in! The original virus looks as if it may be influenza related.

Five years later Zoe lives in a military base with military personnel, survivalists and their families, They are led by an uptight officer, Miguel (Jeff Gum who is just begging to be fragged. Zoe, her boyfriend Baca (Marcus Vanco) who is Miguel's brother join a team venturing out in search of medical supplies at Zoes old hospital. A vehicle breaks down and they are attacked by the Rotters (Zombies) but escape unscathed. Arriving at the hospital they secure the supplies but are ambushed by rottens, one of which is Max! Smarter than your average Zombie, Max hitches a ride back to the base under a humvee. He continues to stalk/love Zoe and seems to be a hybrid Zombie/Human.whose blood could provide the basys for a vaccine.

These Zombies move quickly, indeed they could be contestants in the 100 metres at the Common Wealth Games. They also raise their heads and howl after biting human throats out..They hunt in packs so have a rudimentary ability to cooperate and yes, they swarm.Miguel's doctrine regarding bitten personnel is one bite, one bullet. Hybrid Zombie-Humans isn't an original concept but having one as a stalker does give things a new twist. Lots of biting, people being eaten alive, much shooting 'em in the head, Directed by Hèctor Hernández Vicens this film is based on George A. Romero's Day Of The Dead but is very much an average Zombie Movie. 6/10. On Netflix.

Day Of The Dead Bloodline: Chaos on the streets, weird looking characters bite people, blood spurts, a typical night in Temple Bar, Dublin? No it's a Zombie Outbreak and medical student Zoe (Sophie Skelton) wends her way through the mayhem, calling her mother to warn her to stay indoors. Flashback to a few hours earlier, a weird blood donor, Max (Johnathon Schaech) has an obsession with Zoe and is attacking her when a corpse comes to life and bites the creep. .Zoe flees to a students party where the professor goes Zombie and eats the face off a student and then the risen corpse bursts in! The original virus looks as if it may be influenza related.

Five years later Zoe lives in a military base with military personnel, survivalists and their families, They are led by an uptight officer, Miguel (Jeff Gum who is just begging to be fragged. Zoe, her boyfriend Baca (Marcus Vanco) who is Miguel's brother join a team venturing out in search of medical supplies at Zoes old hospital. A vehicle breaks down and they are attacked by the Rotters (Zombies) but escape unscathed. Arriving at the hospital they secure the supplies but are ambushed by rottens, one of which is Max! Smarter than your average Zombie, Max hitches a ride back to the base under a humvee. He continues to stalk/love Zoe and seems to be a hybrid Zombie/Human.whose blood could provide the basys for a vaccine.

These Zombies move quickly, indeed they could be contestants in the 100 metres at the Common Wealth Games. They also raise their heads and howl after biting human throats out..They hunt in packs so have a rudimentary ability to cooperate and yes, they swarm.Miguel's doctrine regarding bitten personnel is one bite, one bullet. Hybrid Zombie-Humans isn't an original concept but having one as a stalker does give things a new twist. Lots of biting, people being eaten alive, much shooting 'em in the head, Directed by Hèctor Hernández Vicens this film is based on George A. Romero's Day Of The Dead but is very much an average Zombie Movie. 6/10. On Netflix.
Just watched it. It did not take long for me to start rooting for the half zombie.
Did really like his design.

Surviving the Outbreak: This time an infectious outbreak makes people go berserk and become cannibals, they seem to be still alive but bite like the zombies we all know so well. Small groups of the uninfected survive in a rural area but for how long? A group of three keep on the move and we learn some of the back story through their conversations.

The acting isn't great and the dialogue is rather clunky but the scenario is good. Who wouldn't like to see a TV news presenter bitten by a cannibal in mid sentence? Well, Laura Kuenssberg anyway. Apparently this is the second in a projected series of films. I hear that the first one was better. This one gets 5/10.

Very generous i'd give in 2.5 out 10

I did give my reasons for the score but being a zombie films fan I'm likely to score such films higher than the average viewer.

I think the concept was good although ive always found Day to be the weakest film of the original trilogy.

This film felt lazy and poorly executed, poorly acted and tedious. There has been some fine Zombie films recently in a tired genre. Ravaneous 2017, Train to Busan 2016, Here Alone 2016 and Wyrmwood 2014 are probably the best of the bunch and all brought something different.

I'm hoping George's son brings something original to the party but I doubt it.

I think the concept was good although ive always found Day to be the weakest film of the original trilogy.

This film felt lazy and poorly executed, poorly acted and tedious. There has been some fine Zombie films recently in a tired genre. Ravaneous 2017, Train to Busan 2016, Here Alone 2016 and Wyrmwood 2014 are probably the best of the bunch and all brought something different.

I'm hoping George's son brings something original to the party but I doubt it.
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more with your analysis of Romero's Day Of The Dead (and the above spin offs/re imaginings wouldn't even exist without Romero/Savini's/KNB's pioneering work .. and neither would The Walking Dead) .. I'll admit I was too young to catch both Night and Dawn when they were originally released, Day did indeed have a lot of over acting but I place all of the characters (as a viewer) in a pressure chamber underground, compressed unlike Night, Dawn or Land .. claustrophobia, fighting between the scientist and the military and then they also had to deal with the army of zombies that weren't just going to go away .. the situation/location was a pressure cooker waiting to blow hence the appropriate shrieking .. the 2014 to 2017 zombie films ? .. spin off zinger burgers riding on the coat tails of giants ..

Last edited:
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more with your analysis of Romero's Day Of The Dead (and the above spin offs/re imaginings wouldn't even exist without Romero/Savini's/KNB's pioneering work .. and neither would The Walking Dead) .. I'll admit I was too young to catch both Night and Dawn when they were originally released, Day did indeed have a lot of over acting but I place all of the characters (as a viewer) in a pressure chamber underground, compressed unlike Night, Dawn or Land .. claustrophobia, fighting between the scientist and the military and then they also had to deal with the army of zombies that weren't just going to go away .. the situation/location was a pressure cooker waiting to blow hence the appropriate shrieking .. the 2014 to 2017 zombie films ? .. spin off zinger burgers riding on the coat tails of giants ..

I'm not having a go at Romero or Savini, but Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are masterworks of horror. Savini too blesses any movie he's involved in. Day was never as good as the first two. I found the Bub character ridiculous and that spoiled it, that and the over acting.

I'd watch Creepshow any day over Day of the Dead as it's a far better horror film as is the original Crazies.

Totally agree with Romero influence on Zombie movies today. I was one of the few people I knew who had heard of Romero or Fulci back in the early 80's.

I'm not having a go at Romero or Savini, but Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are masterworks of horror. Savini too blesses any movie he's involved in. Day was never as good as the first two. I found the Bub character ridiculous and it that spoiled it, that and the over acting.

I'd watch Creepshow any day over Day of the Dead as it's a far better horror film as is the original Crazies.

Totally agree with Romero influence on Zombie movies today. I was one of the few people I knew who had heard of Romero or Fulci back in the early 80's.
I'll have to agree with you over the whole 'taming' zombies thing .. Bub .. an idea cinematically as shite as 'taming' raptors in the last and next Jurrasic Park films .. the one good point the military made in Day was how bad an idea that was and 'Frankenstein' was indeed a lunatic. I found Barbara incredibly annoying in Night and I found 'Fly Boy' annoying as well in Dawn so annoying is part of when different personalities get compressed in Romero's films. The locations of Day were the main star as well as Savini's out of the ball park for the time F/X .. Nicotero was there as Savini's student and is now executive producer of Walking Dead.

I think that unless a person watched Day when it was first released, they'd completely miss these days how pioneering it was .. to compare it to any zombie films that followed that did it better is to ignore the fact that they only did it better off the back of and because of Day .. and Dawn .. and Night.

Last edited:
I'll have to agree with you over the whole 'taming' zombies thing .. Bub .. an idea cinematically as shite as 'taming' raptors in the last and next Jurrasic Park films .. the one good point the military made in Day was how bad an idea that was and 'Frankenstein' was indeed a lunatic. I found Barbara incredibly annoying in Night and I found 'Fly Boy' annoying as well in Dawn so annoying is part of when different personalities get compressed in Romero's films. The locations of Day were the main star as well as Savini's out of the ball park for the time F/X .. Nicotero was there as Savini's student and is now executive producer of Walking Dead.

I think that unless a person watched Day when it was first released, they'd completely miss these days how pioneering it was .. to compare it to any zombie films that followed that did it better is to ignore the fact that they only did it better off the back of and because of Day .. and Dawn .. and Night.

Idea! Zombies versus Raptors!

I re-watched the 2004 Dawn if the Dead and found I liked it a good bit. Haven't seen it since the film originally came out.
Found it held up pretty well, enjoyed the characters. Some of the lines were clunky (one time lampshades by another character) and some dumb decisions. Though the overwhelming horde of zombies being dispersed by what was apparently an atomic propane tank borrowed from fallout seemed a bit stupid.

Undead Raptors join in with the Zombie hordes!
Oh man. A slow shot showing that for some reason, possibly all the genetic hijinks, dinosaurs are also susceptible to the virus.
Or imagine the rotted, decrepit bull of a t Rex or one of the sauropods tearing through a building.
Man, if it can't get a film script I'd love to see this as a comic.

Oh man. A slow shot showing that for some reason, possibly all the genetic hijinks, dinosaurs are also susceptible to the virus.
Or imagine the rotted, decrepit bull of a t Rex or one of the sauropods tearing through a building.
Man, if it can't get a film script I'd love to see this as a comic.
There'd have to be sharks with frickin' laser beams in it as well. To ensure success.

I want to see it now just to see the survivors thinking they're safe. Secure. No way they can get through the walls and doors between them. Only for the thing ti charge and break through the walls. Getting more damaged each time of course.
There was a story I read where the zombies burrowed their way into much large animals, like cattle Imagine something like that but with a sauropod or t Rex.
I'll admit, it's cheesy but this is some cool mental visuals.

I re-watched the 2004 Dawn if the Dead and found I liked it a good bit. Haven't seen it since the film originally came out.
Found it held up pretty well, enjoyed the characters. Some of the lines were clunky (one time lampshades by another character) and some dumb decisions. Though the overwhelming horde of zombies being dispersed by what was apparently an atomic propane tank borrowed from fallout seemed a bit stupid.
Sarah Polley, the lead, is the best thing in it. She writes and directs which is great but a shame as we never see her in front of the camera.

Last edited:
The Cured: A Zombiesque Outbreak has been contained in the rest of Europe but has devastated Ireland. The virus causes psychotic, violent behaviour the infected bite their victims, passing on the disease to those they do not kill/eat. Now after five years a cure has been found and the 20,000 remaining "zombies" are treated, 15,000 are cured and released in three waves, but the other 5,000 cannot be cured and now the Government are going to euthanise them. The UN run and guard the treatment centres but now they plan to withdraw from the country.

Senan (Sam Keeley) is being released he is briefed on the restrictions he will face by Sergeant Cantor (Stuart Graham). Conor (Tom Vaughan-Lawlor), a friend of Senan's is released at the same time, a former barrister and politician he is unhappy to be assigned to work as a street cleaner. Cantor appears to relish the world being turned upside down and now having control over Cantor. We learn how Canor had killed his mother in a scene where he is rejected by his father. The Cured remember everything they did during their "zombie" state. These acts are portrayed through flashbacks and nightmares.

The cured also face resentment and physical attacks from those who don't believe they should be readmitted to society. Scenes of buses being attacked as they leave the treatment centre or arrive at hostels for The Cured. Street fights between supporters and opponents of the cured. Conor is in a hostel but Senan is taken in by his sister-in-law Abbie (Ellen Page) an American journalist, his brother had died during the Outbreak. Senan works at the treatment centre with Dr Lyons (Paula Malcomson) who is desperately trying to find a cure for the last 5,000 "zombies". Getting increasingly bitter Conor starts to organise some of The Cured to prevent the euthanisation of those who are still infected.

Shot mostly in North Dublin City, the largely deserted streets give a ghost town impression. Some great scenes of very fast "zombies" attacking and chasing people down streets. Vaughan-Lawlor excels as a rabble rousing leader of The Cured who is effectively resuming his political career. Keely is convincing as a Cured who wants to assimilate and Page is his emphatic supporter who also wishes to investigate a few mysteries. A bloody violent film which is not for the squeamish but provides a new twist for the Zombie Film genre. Directed and written by David Freyne who delivers on a low budget. Cinematography by Piers McGrail and edited by Chris Gill. 8/10.

The Cured: A Zombiesque Outbreak has been contained in the rest of Europe but has devastated Ireland. The virus causes psychotic, violent behaviour the infected bite their victims, passing on the disease to those they do not kill/eat. Now after five years a cure has been found and the 20,000 remaining "zombies" are treated, 15,000 are cured and released in three waves, but the other 5,000 cannot be cured and now the Government are going to euthanise them. The UN run and guard the treatment centres but now they plan to withdraw from the country.

Surprised you didn't mention it's an extremely downbeat allegory for The Troubles...

Surprised you didn't mention it's an extremely downbeat allegory for The Troubles...

It more deals with attitudes towards the "other". The "Cured" take the place of immigrants, "welfare spongers", travellers. There is also quite a bit of political satire in there. I saw it again tonight and I'm going to revise my review.

It more deals with attitudes towards the "other". The "Cured" take the place of immigrants, "welfare spongers", travellers. There is also quite a bit of political satire in there. I saw it again tonight and I'm going to revise my review.

I'm not so sure, narratively it deals with the heavy burden of guilt and how difficult it is to move on when everyone in the nation has been affected. The civil war imagery drawn from the vintage news footage and the fact it was filmed in Northern Ireland means it looked to me Freyne was making a clear, very pessimistic, statement about The Troubles.

I'm not so sure, narratively it deals with the heavy burden of guilt and how difficult it is to move on when everyone in the nation has been affected. The civil war imagery drawn from the vintage news footage and the fact it was filmed in Northern Ireland means it looked to me Freyne was making a clear, very pessimistic, statement about The Troubles.

Not how I saw it. The film was entirely set in and filmed Dublin. No mention of NI was made, not even a suggestion that people united on both sides of the border to combat the viral outbreak. Some of the historical footage used was from the South, I think footage from NI was used because it had scenes that suited the narrative of societal breakdown.

Here's what Freyne had to say:

But when I was writing it, it was when Ireland was gripped by this horrible recession which affected me and my family. People were losing their jobs and were being blamed for things that were out of their control, and the banks were closing.

We had the rise of these really horrific populist politicians in Europe. That’s why I created Tom’s character, he’s basically a populist politician who is feeding on the anger and exploiting it for his own end. That kind of all fed into the writing process. Obviously, we didn’t know what would happen, we didn’t know Trump would happen, but those things are symptoms of what was happening then. The same idea of people being used as scapegoats and being dehumanized, being blamed for all the fighting. That was sort of the perfect storm that started it back in the day. ...

https://www.filminquiry.com/interview-david-freyne-director-cured/

Back