• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I just watched The Serpent and the Rainbow, based loosely around the story of 'real' zombies from Haiti.

I just saw it now, good, it worked in the fall of the Duvalier dictatorship. Really loved the scene of the evil Ton Ton Macoute leader literally sinking through the floor to Hell.

The Night Eats the World: We’ve all been there, you go to your ex-GF’s apartment to collect some stuff, there’s a wild party in progress. You don’t get on with her pesent BF, you bump into someone, you end up passing out and between booze and tiredness you really could sleep through a Zombie Apocalypse. Well, that’s exactly what happens to Sam. He wakes to find the apartment wrecked, the walls smeared with blood. He is attacked by his now Zombie Ex but escapes.

The streets of Paris are strewn with wrecked cars and bodies, just like the aftermath of a yellow-vests riot. Wait! Are those yellow-vests shambling about and biting the few survivors? No, it’s the Zombies. Sam makes an apartment habitable and settles in for a long lonely wait. At least he doesn’t have to worry about annoying people with drum paying but it does attract Zombies. Sam seems to be the last person left alive in Paris.

Nothing much new in this film and all of the action takes place in one apartment building, it’s roof and the nearby streets. But Director Dominique Rocher has delivered a good horror film with convincing Zombies and an interesting reflection on the reality of life alone in the aftermath of an Apocalypse. 7/10. On Netflix.

The Night Eats the World: We’ve all been there, you go to your ex-GF’s apartment to collect some stuff, there’s a wild party in progress. You don’t get on with her pesent BF, you bump into someone, you end up passing out and between booze and tiredness you really could sleep through a Zombie Apocalypse. Well, that’s exactly what happens to Sam. He wakes to find the apartment wrecked, the walls smeared with blood. He is attacked by his now Zombie Ex but escapes.

The streets of Paris are strewn with wrecked cars and bodies, just like the aftermath of a yellow-vests riot. Wait! Are those yellow-vests shambling about and biting the few survivors? No, it’s the Zombies. Sam makes an apartment habitable and settles in for a long lonely wait. At least he doesn’t have to worry about annoying people with drum paying but it does attract Zombies. Sam seems to be the last person left alive in Paris.

Nothing much new in this film and all of the action takes place in one apartment building, it’s roof and the nearby streets. But Director Dominique Rocher has delivered a good horror film with convincing Zombies and an interesting reflection on the reality of life alone in the aftermath of an Apocalypse. 7/10. On Netflix.
So would you say it's sort of a remake of The Omega Man? .. sounds like it?

In the unlikely scenario that I'd go to an ex girlfriend's place to pick up my stuff, her new boyfriend's there who I don't like? .. I don't think I'd then stick around to get drunk there to be honest. I'd probably come back a couple of days later instead but then I haven't watched this film.

In the unlikely scenario that I'd go to an ex girlfriend's place to pick up my stuff, her new boyfriend's there who I don't like? .. I don't think I'd then stick around to get drunk there to be honest. I'd probably come back a couple of days later instead but then I haven't watched this film.

The hero gets knocked on the head while at their apartment and goes into a back room to sleep it off, as he's not feeling well. When he wakes up the next morning: merry apocalypse!

The hero gets knocked on the head while at their apartment and goes into a back room to sleep it off, as he's not feeling well. When he wakes up the next morning: merry apocalypse!

And his Ex nearly eats the faceoff him.

Patient Zero: This time the "Zombies" arrive via a new strain of Rabies, it turns people into crazed violent biters. People die though if too much of them is eaten or they are torn apart in the attack. The "Zombies" stay dead when killed and you don't have to shoot them in the head. Deep down in a missile silo soldiers, civilians and scientists are sheltering. Among them is Morgan (Matt Smith) who though bitten has a natural immunity, he can speak with the "Zombies", they are lucid at times. Indeed they seem to be developing more intelligence and attack in large packs. Morgan assists Dr Rose (Natalie Dormer) in the attempt to track down Patient Zero, she has also developed anti-bodies from Morgan's blood which temporarily fight the virus.

A dark film, entirely shot underground, chases through ventilation vents reminiscent of Aliens. The interrogation of the "Zombies" is disturbing, not just physical torture, they react badly to music so Morgan plays his favourite songs as he questions them. The portrayal of the attacks by the crazed biters is convincing, especially in a sequence where the attackers drop from above like enraged monkeys. A leader of the "Zombies, The Professor (Stanley Tucci) is captured and engages in philosophical debate with Morgan as to you best deserves to survive and seems to be winning the debate. Disturbingly this is reminiscent not just of The Omega Man but also of Jordan Peterson in discourse with someone you might generally agree with.

Good acting from Smith and Dormer with a superb performance by Tucci as The Professor. Director Stefan Ruzowitsky has turned Mike Le's script into an effective Zombie film which has been sadly underrated. 8/10.

Patient Zero: This time the "Zombies" arrive via a new strain of Rabies, it turns people into crazed violent biters. People die though if too much of them is eaten or they are torn apart in the attack. The "Zombies" stay dead when killed and you don't have to shoot them in the head. Deep down in a missile silo soldiers, civilians and scientists are sheltering. Among them is Morgan (Matt Smith) who though bitten has a natural immunity, he can speak with the "Zombies", they are lucid at times. Indeed they seem to be developing more intelligence and attack in large packs. Morgan assists Dr Rose (Natalie Dormer) in the attempt to track down Patient Zero, she has also developed anti-bodies from Morgan's blood which temporarily fight the virus.

A dark film, entirely shot underground, chases through ventilation vents reminiscent of Aliens. The interrogation of the "Zombies" is disturbing, not just physical torture, they react badly to music so Morgan plays his favourite songs as he questions them. The portrayal of the attacks by the crazed biters is convincing, especially in a sequence where the attackers drop from above like enraged monkeys. A leader of the "Zombies, The Professor (Stanley Tucci) is captured and engages in philosophical debate with Morgan as to you best deserves to survive and seems to be winning the debate. Disturbingly this is reminiscent not just of The Omega Man but also of Jordan Peterson in discourse with someone you might generally agree with.

Good acting from Smith and Dormer with a superb performance by Tucci as The Professor. Director Stefan Ruzowitsky has turned Mike Le's script into an effective Zombie film which has been sadly underrated. 8/10.

Sounds similar to the book The Girl with all the Gifts, (not so much the film), where the zombies, infected, hungries, etc are an adaptation of mankind, not the end of.

tom ... i have a photo of tom decked out as a zombie ... taken by christian lantry, zom waits i call it

i saw jordan peeles Us tonight, amongst many other things, it was a bit of a zombie flick ... it was enjoyed

I just watched The Serpent and the Rainbow, based loosely around the story of 'real' zombies from Haiti.
i read the book by ethnobotanist wade davis , fascinating , davis recounts the time he spent in haiti investigating the rumors of a real life zombie named clairvius narcisse

I think it's pretty much a given that nearly everyone regards Night Of The Living Dead as the first modern zombie apocalypse film (apart from the few who argue for Omega Man) as we recognise zombie films today .. I'd say the first time a modern zombie apocalypse scenario being described to an audience (because let's face it, George Romero didn't have the time or money to shoot it) was Duane Jone's epic monologue as Ben talking to a catatonic Barbara .. even before we see hoards of zombies shuffling towards their prey for the first time ever later on in the film ..

The real crime is that Duane's excellent one take speech/monologue hasn't been uploaded to youtube yet, it paints a scene that would fit in perfectly with a The Walking Dead scene even today .. I remember reading somewhere that when Duane finished the entire one take scene, he burst in to tears .. it was that difficult.

Here's an interview with Duane and following that, someone reading (sadly not even half as well as Duane but at least he's tried so I forgive and thank him) that epic speech from the film that created the blueprint still used to this day ..

edit: found it (and the full movie) .. Duane's speech starts at 25:10 here ..

"night of the living dead " is a classic , " THEY'RE COMING TO GET YOU BARBARA "

Jim Jarmusch has made a zombie film with Bill Murray, Steve Buscemi, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits and more .. this trailer didn't make me laugh and I think it was supposed to.

Yeah, I was looking forward to it until I saw that. Will still probably see it at the flix.

Anna and the Apocalypse: a Scottish zombie movie! But not many Scottish accents in it, though it was filmed in Port Glasgow. And it's a musical, which is novel. Starts out OK, but grows progressively mournful the more characters get chomped. Surprisingly, the nerd/cool girl romance promised doesn't work out - just like in real life! I feel you really have to like the music to enjoy this, though.

Redcon-1: Viral outbreak, starts in England resulting in Zombiesque creatures. 30 minutes to 6 hour incubation period then the Zombies become violent, attack and bite/eat people but retain some intelligence. They stay dead though when shot. Film opens with a documentary vibe, background given, a General tasks a Special Forces team with retrieving a scientist from the Quarantine Zone. His experiments on inmates in Wentworth Prison was responsible for the outbreak.

A devastated and desolate landscape is traversed by the soldiers, burned out/abandoned cars, looted shops, bodies in the street. a Santa feeding on a dead child, a crucified priest with a barbed wire crown of thorns. As well as the Zombies, the soldiers must face criminal gangs who control areas, the surviving civilians are prey to both the gangs and the infected. Zombies attack in packs and individually, some continue to carry out their old tasks, delivering papers and giving out parking tickets. More dangerously, Zombie soldiers round up the living, they are growing in intelligence. Even civilian Zombies lay traps.

A pretty savage film, shot in washed out tones, well choreographed fights. A few original quirks with the Zombies whose abilities and actions convince as does the make-up, those infected for longer periods look more like traditional zombies. Interesting twists in the plot. Problem is the running time at 117 minutes, some sequences are drawn out and it would have been a much better film at 90 minutes. Still, this is an impressive debut for director/co-writer Chee Keong Cheung. 6.5/10. On Netflix.

Anyone seen Shed of the Dead? Yet another Shaun of the Dead rip-off, intriguing cast (Michael Berryman with an English accent!), a few laughs but the characters are all total arseholes. At least with Shaun and company the characters were endearing, something too many aspiring zom-com makers forget.

what a stinker, its like jarmusch has no idea how to make a movie any more, only tom acquitted himself

Feral: If you go down to the woods today you won't get a big surprise because it's students, a bit lost, camping in an isolated forest again. Three couples pitch their tents, two quarrel, the third is happy when an engagement ring is produced. The engagement is short-lived as the guy is attacked and literally eaten alive by a strange shadowy creature, intestines chomped up while the guys screams. His girlfriend is then bitten. (Not a spoiler, happens ten minutes in.) Then they start to turn into ... Zombies? Lots of biting and eating going on. There is also a mysterious but "helpful" hermit. The creatures loos more like Nosferatu style Vampires. The kids of course make stupid decisions even though they are grad-students. Filmed largely in a dimly lit cabin and dark forest, some tension does build up with a few scares and there are strong female characters but this is no classic. Directed and co-written by Mark Young who might have done better with a bigger budget. 6/10.

Showing again on the Horror Channel on Friday 19th July at 10.50 PM.

Too often in zombie films the women are just there as items on the menu.
I've been knee deep in strong female characters in films for so long now it's almost not even funny anymore .. and I can't recall ever seeing a female character getting killed by a zombie in a zombie film apart from whatsherface who had that splinter in her eye .. which sexist zombies kill women films have you been watching?

edit: Barbara did get dragged to her death by her zombified brother in Night Of The Living Dead .. and Linnea Quigley aka 'Trash' got her final wish in Return Of The Living Dead .. then came back as an undead bad ass strong female.

Last edited:
I've been knee deep in strong female characters in films for so long now it's almost not even funny anymore .. and I can't recall ever seeing a female character getting killed by a zombie in a zombie film apart from whatsherface who had that splinter in her eye .. which sexist zombies kill women films have you been watching?

edit: Barbara did get dragged to her death by her zombified brother in Night Of The Living Dead .. and Linnea Quigley aka 'Trash' got her final wish in Return Of The Living Dead .. then came back as an undead bad ass strong female.

Fear the Zombies not strong women!

What a load of rubbish, although I think modern zombie films have a lot of strong female characters, (not always good, but strong), most of them get bitten and die,

Cargo - Kay is bitten on a boat and turns after a car crash.
The Girl with all the Gifts - Dr Caldwell get killed by the feral, (zombie), children
Here Alone - Baby Olivia is killed after ingesting zombie blood
Ravenous - All the women pretty much die by zombies
Maggie - she's already a zombie, kills herself to so she doesn't eat Arnie
Train to Busan - Jin-Hee gets bitten by a zombie and turns
Dawn of the Dead remake - Luba, bitten and turns, the rest of the women all die pretty much not directly killed by Z's but Z's played a huge part.
The Cured - Dr Lyons is killed by a zombie.
Shaun of the Dead - Barbara, (Shaun's mum), bitten by a zombie

Older films:
Zombie Creeping Flesh - Lia killed by a zombie horde.
Zombi 2 - Susan gets her throat bitten out.
Dellamorte Dellamore - She, bitten by her dead husband
Return of the Living Dead II - Brenda eaten by her partner

I read somewhere about a historical (I think 16/17thc) Korean zombie TV series, anyone seen or heard of it?

Back