• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Zombie Watch

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I have just finished The Zombie Survival Guide:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400049628/revenantmagaz-21
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400049628/wwwrevenantmc-20

and this tale struck me as one of those ones that you are supposed to watch out for ;)

That aside it strikes me as odd - the sheer numbers for starters and it feels like there is something else odd going on there. That said it might just be the after effects of the ZSG so.........

Bodies of Brazilian miners found

By Steve Kingstone
BBC correspondent in Sao Paulo

The bodies of 26 diamond prospectors have been discovered in the Amazon region of Brazil.

The men had encroached on an Indian reservation and it is thought they were killed by indigenous people.

The area - deep in the jungle and close to the border with Bolivia - is believed to hold South America's largest diamond reserves.

Under Brazilian law, mining in Indian reservations is not permitted but that does not stop many prospectors.

The bodies were found by members of Funai, the government agency responsible for indigenous affairs.

Its team discovered the remains of 26 diamond miners - three other bodies were recovered a week ago.

The grim find appears to confirms reports of a violent attack on miners by local Indians.

Fortune seekers

About 1,000 indigenous people live in the area, which has been officially designated an Indian reservation.

Mining is illegal but that has not stopped hundreds of poor Brazilians travelling to the region hoping to make their fortune from diamonds.

Some make deals with Indian chiefs; those who do not run the risk of a confrontation.

The state governor of Rondonia says the solution lies either in improved security or the legalisation of diamond mining.

The government is considering that idea. In the meantime, a team of police officers has been sent into the jungle to recover the bodies.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/3636053.stm

Published: 2004/04/18 00:41:21 GMT

© BBC MMIV

[edit: Well wet my pants - I'm getting my kit together and heading for the hills - the second report just reeks of major zombie outbreak ;)

Death tolls rises in Indian-miner battle

Porto Velho, , Apr. 20 (UPI) -- More than 60 diamond miners may have been killed in clashes with Brazilian Indians in a remote northwestern state, local news sources reported Tuesday.

According to officials in the state of Rondonia, the bodies of 29 miners have already been recovered and another 35 men are believed dead.

In all, 99 men are still missing, Agencia Estado reported Tuesday.

Indian groups Monday celebrated Brazil's national "Day of the Indian" by converging on Congress in Brasilia.

In recent weeks there have been numerous reports of miners and reservation dwellers in Rondonia battling to the death, the latter leaving behind the mutilated corpses of the prospectors.

Though Brazilian law prohibits mining on reservation land, some chiefs are reportedly selling the rights to miners, while others are prospecting for the precious gems themselves.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040420-125653-3398r.htm

POSTED AT 8:04 PM EDT Wednesday, Apr. 21, 2004

Indians massacre miners in Brazil

Porto Velho, Brazil — Police began retrieving the bodies of 26 diamond prospectors killed in a mysterious clash with Indians in the Amazon jungle, and the state's governor said that the death toll could rise.

The bodies of another 30 prospectors could still be inside the reserve in northwest Brazil, also victims of the attack that saw Cinta Larga Indians apparently massacre dozens of prospectors on April 7.

Four days later, the first three bodies were found and taken out of the reserve. On Sunday, more federal police were flown into the state to help with the removal of bodies and seal off the reserve so miners would not return. They set to work clearing areas of the jungle to allow helicopters to land.

“Unfortunately many other bodies will be found,” said Rondonia state Governor Ivo Cassol. “This is due to the slowness of the federal agencies.”

Firmino Aparecido, the city police chief of Espigao d'Oeste, about 95 kilometres from the reserve, said the miners were all shot to death. Some news reports said some of the victims had been clubbed to death, then hacked to pieces. Other were reportedly beheaded.

Tensions between prospectors and Indians have flared often in recent years, but little was known about the reasons for the latest violence. In the past, some chiefs have charged prospectors for access to the reserve even though Brazilian law forbids mining there.

The bodies of the dead were spread within a one kilometre area, Chief Aparecido said Saturday. Citing information from local prospectors, he said the bodies of at least another 30 prospectors could still be somewhere inside the reserve, home to some 1,300 Indians and South America's largest diamond reserves.

The 2.7 million hectare reserve, which is under federal jurisdiction and off limits to state police, is some 600 kilometres southeast of Porto Velho, capital of Rondonia state.

The Cinta Larga, hunters with a strong warrior tradition, lived in relative isolation until the early 1960s, when the first prospectors and loggers started to enter traditional Indian lands in search of diamonds and gold and timber.

“Recovery will be a difficult and unpleasant task,” said Roberto Lustosa, of the Federal Indian Bureau. “Many of the bodies have been partially eaten by wild animals and all are decomposed after more than 10 days in the jungle.”

In recent years, tensions between prospectors and Indians have flared as more and more prospectors have sought riches in the vast jungle region.

In March 2002, authorities forcibly removed some 3,000 prospectors who had invaded the reservation. Two months earlier, police found the remains of seven people suspected to be prospectors and arrows nearby. In January 2003, federal police evicted some 5,000 prospectors.

Between 1999 and 2002, the bodies of 30 prospectors have been found inside the Roosevelt reserve, according to the Federal Indian Bureau.

Chief Aparecido said the approximately 100 Cinta Larga Indians who lived in Espigao d'Oeste have left the city, fearing reprisals.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040421.wamaz0421/BNStory/Front/

Miner massacre a warning: tribe

From correspondents in On The Roosevelt Indian Reservation, Brazil
April 22, 2004

AN Amazonian tribal chief has said the killing of 29 diamond prospectors on his remote Indian reservation was intended as a warning for white miners to stay away.

In his first meeting with reporters since the April 7 massacre, Chief Pio Cinta Larga told The Associated Press there were no more bodies to be found in the 2.7-million-hectare reservation, which has often been invaded by illegal prospectors.

“We told them we didn't want them here and they kept coming back. The warriors lost patience and this is what happened,” Cinta Larga told the AP. His tribe is the only one that lives in the area of the killings.

Cinta Larga defended the killings as part of the tribe's culture.

“We are warriors,” said Cinta Larga. “Before the white man came, none of the tribes here were friends. We fought and killed each other, that is how we resolved things.”

Federal police have said the 29 miners were killed by the Cinta Larga Indian tribe in a dispute over diamond mining. The reservation is believed to have South American's largest diamond reserves.

Investigators indicated most of the miners were lined up and killed at short range with arrows, clubs, spears and firearms. Many of the bodies appeared to have been tortured or mutilated.

Cinta Larga said the tribe accepted responsibility for the action as a group, but distanced himself somewhat from the killings.

“There are some very angry Indians and not even the leadership can control their actions,” he said.

Asked about an ongoing Federal police investigation to find those responsible, Cinta Larga said it was the Federal Indian bureau that deals with such aspects of “white man's law.”

The president of Brazil's Federal Indian Bureau has said he considered the Indians to be acting in legitimate self defense because both mining and trespassing by non-Indians are illegal on Indian reservations.

Those comments only served to fuel already high tension between the heavily armed Indians and prospectors.

“It's illegal to mine on Indian land, it's also illegal to kill,” said Celso Antim of the prospector's union in Espigao d'Oeste, about 100 kilometres from the reservation.

Antim said the killings would not keep prospectors off the reservation for long.

“There will be a little pause, but then they'll all go back because they're all going hungry,” he said. “This time, though, they'll go back armed.”

Cinta Larga warned that prospectors who returned should know they were taking their lives in their hands.

He said the solution is to change the law so Indians can legally mine on their lands.

Currently, the Indians mine the diamonds in violation of Federal law and sell them on the black market in violation of the international Kimberly protocol, which governs the sale and trade of diamonds.

A task force composed of hundreds of State and Federal agents has been deployed in and around the reservation 600 kilometres southwest of Porto Velho, capital of the western state of Rondonia that borders Bolivia.

Expected to remain in the region for up to six months, the task force is disarming prospectors and Indians and will try to put an end to mining and prospecting activities in the reservation.

But officials here said ending the illegal prospecting will not be easy.

“Prospecting isn't something that ends from one day to another. It will be reactivated there is a great desire for diamonds and the diamonds on the reservation are very good,” said Amoss de Mello Oliveira, a geologist working with the police.

He estimated that diamonds found here were much more than $US40 () a carat, which is the price of the average Brazilian diamonds. He said Roosevelt reservation diamonds were worth around US0 (3) a carat.

Brazil's Mines and Energy Ministry estimated some US (.73) billion were taken out of the area, since prospecting began in 1999.

Clashes between Indians and prospectors have claimed at least 70 lives since diamond mining began.

The Cinta Larga Indians were first contacted by outsiders in the late 1960s, but development has been at best a mixed blessing.

Many of the Indians are fairly well off, dressing in western-style clothing and driving pick-up trucks.

About two-thirds of the 1300-strong tribe have learned Portuguese, Brazil's national language, but the remaining Indians maintain the tribe's fierce warrior traditions.

The discovery of diamonds has also fueled problems of alcoholism, drug abuse and sexually transmitted diseases among the Indians.

In 2002, police forcibly evicted some 3000 prospectors and the Indians decided to take up mining. They distribute profits among the tribe.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9353721%5E1702,00.html

A fierce warrior people? And the native people's usually have far better oral traditions than we urbanised folks....... ;) ]

Emps

Emperor said:
I have just finished The Zombie Survival Guide:
Completely off-topic, but related: the author's father, a certain Mr Mel Brooks, was on Australian telly last night (Enough Rope) talking about his amazingly clever son who had written this Zombie Survival Guide. (More than a little patriachal pride in his voice at the time.)

Just thought it worth mentioning. Back to discussing people falling out of helicopters onto railroad tracks.

Re: Re: Zombie Watch

anome said:
Completely off-topic, but related: the author's father, a certain Mr Mel Brooks, was on Australian telly last night (Enough Rope) talking about his amazingly clever son who had written this Zombie Survival Guide. (More than a little patriachal pride in his voice at the time.)

Just thought it worth mentioning. Back to discussing people falling out of helicopters onto railroad tracks.

Fantastic!! I was wondering but I thought it was quite a common name and there probably wasn't a connection (although I suspect if I check the thanks section I might find a Mel in there) - the author informaiton is that he lives in New York but is ready to move to his secure loaction at a moments notice ;)

Emps

The dead will rise and this thread is here so we can be ready!!

PACIFIC ISLANDS REPORT

Pacific Islands Development Program/East-West Center
With Support From Center for Pacific Islands Studies/University of Hawai‘i

WORK STOPS ON PNG ISLAND AS CARGO CULT SPREADS

PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (PNG Post-Courier, April 30) – Villagers from Rossel Island in Milne Bay Province, Papua New Guinea, have refused to work their gardens after leaders of a cargo cult allegedly told them "the dead have risen from their graves".

Reports reaching Port Moresby through villagers who have traveled from the maritime province’s easternmost island last month say members of a cargo cult have been traversing villages on the north and south of the island, telling people that "the dead have risen from their graves".

The villagers were allegedly told by cult leaders not to attend church services or take part in community activities, as the "rising of the dead" would also see goods and services being delivered to the island.

"Villagers have been told not to go to church because it was a waste of time," an islander said.

He said the men and womenfolk on the island, which is a three-days journey by boat from the provincial capital Alotau, have stopped attending to their food gardens out of fear of reprisals from cult leaders.

Police at Misima Island’s Bwagaoia station, which serves as the headquarters for Misima district encompassing adjacent islands and the main islands of Misima, Sudest and Rossel, confirmed receiving a report of cult activity on Rossel when contacted by the Post-Courier on Wednesday.

Station commander Senior Inspector Levi Stanley said he had received a report from a policeman stationed at Sudest Island after a Rossel Islander raised the alarm.

The cult’s ringleaders were allegedly respected leaders of the community on the isolated island, he said.

However, Insp Stanley said bad weather coupled with lack of funds to buy fuel had hampered attempts by his men to travel east by boat to Rossel to confirm the report. He said he had asked the provincial administration in Alotau for help but was yet to get a response because of a technical fault with a telecommunications repeater station.

"I believe the report is true. I will send three to four officers and I will accompany them to investigate and apprehend the ringleaders," said Insp Stanley.

"As soon as I get money we will go but I haven’t got a response from Alotau yet."

Insp Stanley said representatives and area managers for the Samarai-Murua area and the Yele-Yamba Local-Level Government would accompany him.

April 30, 2004

Papua New Guinea Post-Courier: http://www.postcourier.com.pg/

http://pidp.eastwestcenter.org/pireport/2004/April/04-30-10.htm

Lazy cargo cult

VILLAGERS from Rossel Island in Milne Bay Province have refused to work their gardens after leaders of a cargo cult allegedly told them “the dead have risen from their graves”.

Reports reaching Port Moresby through villagers who have travelled from the maritime province’s eastern-most island last month say members of a cargo cult have been traversing villages on the north and south of the island, telling people that “the dead have risen from their graves”.

The villagers were allegedly told by cult leaders not to attend church services or take part in community activities, as the “rising of the dead” would also see goods and services being delivered to the island.

“Villagers have been told not to go to church because it was a waste of time,” an islander said.

He said the men and womenfolk on the island, which is a three-days journey by boat from the provincial capital Alotau, have stopped attending to their food gardens out of fear of reprisals from cult leaders.

Police at Misima Island’s Bwagaoia station, which serves as the headquarters for Misima district encompassing adjacent islands and the main islands of Misima, Sudest and Rossel, confirmed receiving a report of cult activity on Rossel when contacted by the Post-Courier on Wednesday.

Station commander Senior Inspector Levi Stanley said he had received a report from a policeman stationed at Sudest Island after a Rossel Islander raised the alarm.

The cult’s ringleaders were allegedly respected leaders of the community on the isolated island, he said.

However, Insp Stanley said bad weather coupled with lack of funds to buy fuel had hampered attempts by his men to travel east by boat to Rossel to confirm the report. He said he had asked the provincial administration in Alotau for help but was yet to get a response because of a technical fault with a telecommunications repeater station.

“I believe the report is true. I will send three to four officers and I will accompany them to investigate and apprehend the ringleaders,” said Insp Stanley.

“As soon as I get money we will go but I haven’t got a response from Alotau yet.”

Insp Stanley said representatives and area managers for the Samarai-Murua area and the Yele-Yamba Local-Level Government would accompany him.

http://www.postcourier.com.pg/20040430/news01.htm

Emps

In today's Garudian's Notes and Queries someone asks this question:

I was net-surfing and found a reference to the explorer Mungo Park, who was apparently killed either by Africans who thought his party were Muslim raiders, or eaten by zombies. Is there any truth in any of this, or is it tosh?

Mark Ferguson, Staines, Middx

It is an interesting lesson into checking your sources, etc. as the only result mentioning zombies is:

http://www.fvza.org/mungo.html

Which is #cough# "The Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency" and enjoyable take on the whole phenomena similar to Max Brook's book. Unfortunately it is the sixth result in Google for this search:

"Mungo Park"

which doesn't help very much

Possibly the best account is here:

Vague rumours of the death of Park and his companions were brought by some of the natives to the British settlements on the coast, even so early as the end of 1806; but no information could be got for several years of a nature to be at all relied on, during which time the suspense of his friends and of the public at large, but more particularly of his afflicted family, was of the most painful nature. At length, in 1810, colonel Maxwell, governor of Senegal, despatched Isaaco, Park’s former guide, into the interior, in order to ascertain the truth or falsehood of the reports which prevailed. After an absence of a year and eight months, this individual returned, and the many facts of the narrative, which he gave as the result of his labours, are not only but too probable in themselves, but seem to have been thoroughly confirmed by the investigations of subsequent travellers. Isaaco stated, that he had fallen in with Mr Park’s guide, Amadi Fatouma, at Medina, near Sansanding, who, on seeing Isaaco, and hearing the name of Park, began to weep, saying, "they are all dead;" and was with great difficulty induced to detail the melancholy circumstances of the catastrophe. The account which he gave is too long to be introduced entire here, but the substance of it was as follows:—After leaving Sansanding, Mr Park navigated his way down the Niger, as far as Boossa, in the kingdom of Yaour, which was more than two-thirds of the distance between the ocean, or Gulf of Guinea, and where the river is termed by the natives Quorra. They had frequent skirmishes with the natives, particularly in passing Timbuctoo, where several of the natives were killed. On reaching Yaour, Mr Park sent Amadi Fatouma ashore with various presents, some of which were to the chief or governor of the place, but the most valuable portion for the king, to whom the chief was requested to send them. A short while after, the latter sent to inquire if Mr Park intended to come back; and on being answered that he could return no more, the treacherous chief appropriated the presents intended for the king to his own use. This piece of knavery proved fatal to the unfortunate travellers. The king, indignant at the supposed slight cast on him, assembled a large army at the above mentioned village of Boussa, where a large high rock stretches across the whole breadth of the river, the only passage for the river being through an opening in the rock in the form of a door. The army posted themselves on the top of the rock, and on Mr Park’s attempting to pass, assailed him with lances, pikes, arrows, stones, and missiles of every description. The beleaguered travellers defended themselves for a long time, till all were either killed or severely wounded; when, seeing the uselessness of further resistance, Mr Park, lieutenant Martyn, and one or two more, jumped out of the boat, and were drowned in attempting to get ashore. Only one slave was left alive. Such was the narrative of Amadi Fatouma, who had left Mr Park at Yaour, where his engagement with him terminated, and where he was for many months afterwards confined in irons on suspicion of having purloined the presents intended for the king, which had been made away with by the treacherous chief. Amadi had obtained the accounts of the fatal scene from those who had taken a part in it. The natives afterwards endeavoured to account for the disappearance of Park, to the inquiries of subsequent travellers, by saying that his vessel had foundered against the rock, and that he and his companions were drowned by accident. But there is now not the shadow of a doubt that the above narrative of Amadi is substantially true.

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/other/park_mungo.htm

coming under fire at the Bussa Rapids, after a journey of over 1 000 miles on the river, Park and his small party were drowned. ... The irony was that having avoided contact with local Muslim's by keeping to the centre of the river, they were in turn mistake for Muslim raiders and shot at.

http://africanhistory.about.com/cs/biography/p/bio_Park.htm

A lesson to us all.

I'm composing my reply as I type this (well it'll be a short version of this ;) ).

Emps

They never did publish it :(

----------------
Ah well onwards:

Seminar teaches zombie-fighting skills

By LAURI SHORT
Published , October 18, 2004, 06:00:01 AM EDT

According to Max Brooks, if you think you're safe this Halloween, you would be wrong -- dead wrong.

For Brooks, an acclaimed author and former "Saturday Night Live" writer, the threat of a zombie attack is a global problem for all humans, including University students.

"Zombies are a virus," Brooks said. "They multiply and expand and affect the host -- the entire human race."

Brooks, the son of filmmaker Mel Brooks, will teach an anti-ghoul seminar at 7:30 tonight at the University Chapel.

"Zombies can attack at any time," Brooks said. "The key word is eternal vigilance.

"Their biggest weapon is our ignorance," he said. "Knowledge is power and that is how we are going to beat them."

Zombies look just like humans but are dead, he said.

MAX BROOKS

ANTI-ZOMBIE SEMINAR

CAPTION:When: 7:30 tonight

Where: University Chapel

Tickets: Free for students with a valid UGA Card, for non-students. On sale at the Tate Student Center Cashier's Window

"(Zombies) will grab you, try to eat you and kill you. It's pretty simple," he said.

He will teach students some basic moves of the Afro-Caribbean martial art Mkunga-Lalem, including how to get a zombie to cut its own head off.

"It's an experience that people will probably never see again," he said.

Brooks said he was inspired to study the living dead out of fear.

"I was always scared and decided one day to do something about it," he said.

He wrote "The Zombie Survival Guide" as a guidebook for ordinary citizens.

"(The book) has everything the common citizen will need to know when the dead rise," he said.

In the book, Brooks recommends his readers use a machete against zombies.

"You do not need to reload," he said. "It's light, compact and pretty much everything you need."

Amidst the Y2K scare, many survival and guidebooks were published, but there was not a book for humans to protect themselves from zombies, Brooks said.

Brooks grew up in Santa Monica, Calif., in the '80s.

As a child, Brooks said, he encountered the living dead but prefers not to talk about his experience, he said.

"I want to focus on the solution, rather than the problem," he said.

From 2001-03, Brooks was a writer for SNL. He said his most memorable moment was "writing a sketch for Robert DeNiro and having to pretend to know what I was doing."

Now, the leading expert on anti-ghoul security, Brooks said "awareness is the first step. That is my mission."

And for the unarmed student who encounters a zombie, Brooks said to walk away quickly, do not run, then "arm yourself and organize your friends."

All who attend this seminar will be entered in the chance to win two free tickets to a taping of an NBC comedy show, such as "Saturday Night Live" or "Late Night with Conan O'Brien."

http://www.redandblack.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/10/18/41732085244d3?in_archive=1

I'm unsure how healthy this all is - we might see it as a bit of fun but (as we see time and time again here) there are people out there who this kind of thing wouldn't be too helpful. We've seen numerous vampire killers (both people who think they are vampires and people who kill vampires) and although I'm not aware of any specific zombie killings (although I know of a number of murders connected with zombies and zombification) I would say it is inevitable. That said as I've argued elsewhere people buying into these kinds of "disinhibitory delusions" would just latch onto another one and while there will inevitably be finger pointing at Max Brooks for blurring the line the specific delusion is probably not too relevant.

Emperor said:
Dammit I knew it'd happen!!!

runs off in that general drection ---------->

After death, this virus is able to restart the heart of it’s victim for up to two hours after the initial demise of the person where the individual behaves in extremely violent ways from what is believe to be a combination of brain damage and a chemical released into blood during “resurrection.”

What the hell? Do they get up and run around? For how long?

And do they beat you up? :shock:

Krobone said:
Emperor said:
Dammit I knew it'd happen!!!

runs off in that general drection ---------->

After death, this virus is able to restart the heart of it’s victim for up to two hours after the initial demise of the person where the individual behaves in extremely violent ways from what is believe to be a combination of brain damage and a chemical released into blood during “resurrection.”

What the hell? Do they get up and run around? For how long?

And do they beat you up? :shock:

As part of my public service remit I shoul point out that the news article is rather scarily plausible fake.

I do hope this hasn't percipitated any kind of zombie killing rampage.

And in a related note I see you can hire Max Brooks to come and tal about zombie fighitng techniques - from his agents page:

MAX BROOKS

Preeminent Zombie expert

Exclusive Representation by Greater Talent Network

Max Brooks is considered by many to be one of the world's foremost Zombie preparedness experts. As we all know, the world we live in has become a rather scary place, and the global increase in the number of Zombie attacks isn't helping matters any. According to the Office of Homeland Security, Brooks is the preeminent authority on dispatching the relentless, flesh-eating armies of Zombies that seem to be everywhere these days.

The Zombie Survival Guide is your key to success against the hordes of the undead that may be stalking you right now. The book is the result of Brooks’s tireless search for both the living dead and ways to eradicate them, which has taken him to over 30 countries and territories in Europe, Russia, Latin America, the Caribbean, the Arctic and Sub-Saharan Africa.

The son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft, Max Brooks is completely dedicated to the cause of raising awareness on the issue of Zombie survival. Brooks is ready to come to your campus or community to help prepare your audience with the latest Zombie survival techniques.

Born in New York City in 1972, Brooks’s introduction to the living dead began with a traumatic childhood incident, an incident he still refuses to discuss. Since that time, he has devoted much of his life to the study and development of anti-ghoul security. He is, at present, the leading Western student in the Afro-Caribbean martial art of Mkunga-Lalem, the world's oldest and most effective anti-ghoul fighting skill.

After working for the B.B.C. in Great Britain and East Africa, Brooks began writing The Zombie Survival Guide. A former writer for Saturday Night Live, he lives in New York City with his wife, Michelle and his miniature dachshund, Maizey.

www.greatertalent.com/bios/brooks.shtml

Emperor said:
As part of my public service remit I shoul point out that the news article is rather scarily plausible fake.

I do hope this hasn't percipitated any kind of zombie killing rampage.

Whew! :yeay:

i used to have a zombie watch until the hands fell off :D

Emperor said:
"Zombies can attack at any time," Brooks said. "The key word is eternal vigilance.
"Their biggest weapon is our ignorance," he said. "Knowledge is power and that is how we are going to beat them."

Why, oh why does this sound as a lot of the "war on terror" propaganda ? - And does that mean that all this fear-mongering by politicians is a farce? - I fear so ...

The UK public must keep on their guard against the continued threat of terrorism, Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon has warned.

"For the moment, we all have to be vigilant about a general threat to security.

"We have to ensure that any untoward incident is noted and reported.

"The police and other authorities will be certainly willing to investigate them because we must maintain our vigilance and must maintain our guard."

SOURCE

uair01 said:
Emperor said:

Why, oh why does this sound as a lot of the "war on terror" propaganda ? - And does that mean that all this fear-mongering by politicians is a farce? - I fear so ...

The UK public must keep on their guard against the continued threat of terrorism, Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon has warned.

"For the moment, we all have to be vigilant about a general threat to security.

"We have to ensure that any untoward incident is noted and reported.

"The police and other authorities will be certainly willing to investigate them because we must maintain our vigilance and must maintain our guard."

SOURCE

Thats a great point - I'm just wrapping up an interview with Max and I'll run this past him. Thanks for spotting it ;)

Cambodian Troops Quarantine Quan'sul

Military Forces quarantine Quan'sul

There has been a small outbreak of “zombism” in a small town near the border of Laos in North-Eastern Cambodia.

The culprit was discovered to be mosquitoes native to that region carrying a new strain of Malaria which thus far has a 100 percent mortality rate and kills victims in fewer than 2 days.

After death, this parasite is able to restart the heart of its victim for up to two hours after the initial demise of the person where the individual behaves in extremely violent ways from what is believed to be a combination of brain damage and a chemical released into blood during “resurrection.”

Cambodian officials say that the outbreak has been contained and the public has no need to worry.

General Ary Serey had this to say, "We have obtained samples of this new parasite and plan to learn how it starts the heart and other major organs of the deceased. We intend to use this to increase the quality of life for all."

US Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice opposed the plan saying that the Cambodian government holds a great biological weapon and should destroy it immediately. Cambodian officials have yet to comment.

A United Nations team will be dispatched to Cambodia to confirm the safety of biological research in Cambodia.

http://65.127.124.62/south_asia/4483241.stm.htm

I checked the date... it isn't April 1st today is it?

edit:
Aha.. "last Updated: Friday, 1 April, 2005, 17:00 GMT 18:00 UK"

Damn.. it's not April Fools today.. but the story was posted then. I'm such a sucker!

volshebnik said:
I checked the date... it isn't April 1st today is it?

No but the article is dated April 1st. Good article though. :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6300723.stm

Kidman hurt during 'zombie' crash
BBC News Online. 25 January 2007

Oscar-winning actress Nicole Kidman was taken to hospital after being involved in a car crash while filming a zombie scene in her latest film.

She and seven others were released from Los Angeles hospitals after checks. None were seriously injured.

Kidman, reputed to be the highest-paid actress in the world, was behind the wheel of a Jaguar during production of The Invasion, when the crash occurred.

Her publicist said the car was being towed by a filming vehicle at the time.

"The stunt driver apparently went off course and hit a light post," said Los Angeles police officer Karen Smith.

The accident happened on a public street in the city, which had been sealed off for filming, at about 0100 (0900 GMT) on Thursday.

Ms Smith said police would probably conduct a routine traffic accident investigation at the scene.

Kidman's publicist, Catherine Olim, said the star was trying to shake zombies off the bonnet of her Jaguar when the car spun off the road.

"I think she's OK," said Ms Olim.

She said Kidman, 39, was examined at hospital then released two hours later, and was expected to go straight back to work.
:shock:

Yet another Nazis coming back as zombies movie. This time, an independent, budget movie, made on location, in Govan.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7403082.stm

Cinema opening for Govan zombies

BBC News Online. 15 May 2008

A zombie horror film partly shot in Govan and Dumfries and Galloway opens in UK cinemas on Friday.

Kieran Parker and Arabella Croft, who live in Glasgow, remortgaged their home to raise the money to make the film.

Outpost is set in Eastern Europe, but was shot in Govan and near Castle Douglas, using a mainly Scottish crew.

The couple, who made the film for £870,000, have already won a Bafta Scotland award for the best first-time producers.

The film, about Nazi soldiers who come back from the dead, has been snapped up by Sony Pictures for £1.2m and has already been released on DVD in the US.

Outpost is now to be screened at more than 50 cinemas across the UK, including five in Scotland.

It features actor Ray Stevenson, who starred in the BBC drama Rome.

'Wildest ambitions'

Mr Parker told the BBC Scotland news website he felt "nervous".

He added: "I've spent my whole career waiting for this moment.

"This goes beyond our wildest ambitions for the film."

He paid tribute to the hard work and support from the crew who often worked for a half or a third of their usual fees.

There is a possible sequel to Outpost in prospect, depending on how the film does over the next few weeks.

Mr Parker said he would probably go out to a couple of cinemas on Friday evening just to see how the film was doing.

"Now it has to find its own path," he said.
Official website:
http://www.outpostthemovie.com/

Science ponders 'zombie attack'
Science correspondent, BBC News

If zombies actually existed, an attack by them would lead to the collapse of civilisation unless dealt with quickly and aggressively.

That is the conclusion of a mathematical exercise carried out by researchers in Canada.

They say only frequent counter-attacks with increasing force would eradicate the fictional creatures.

The scientific paper is published in a book - Infectious Diseases Modelling Research Progress.

In books, films, video games and folklore, zombies are undead creatures, able to turn the living into other zombies with a bite.

But there is a serious side to the work.

In some respects, a zombie "plague" resembles a lethal, rapidly spreading infection. The researchers say the exercise could help scientists model the spread of unfamiliar diseases through human populations.

In their study, the researchers from the University of Ottawa and Carleton University (also in Ottawa) posed a question: If there was to be a battle between zombies and the living, who would win?

Professor Robert Smith? (the question mark is part of his surname and not a typographical mistake) and colleagues wrote: "We model a zombie attack using biological assumptions based on popular zombie movies.

"We introduce a basic model for zombie infection and illustrate the outcome with numerical solutions."

To give the living a fighting chance, the researchers chose "classic" slow-moving zombies as our opponents rather than the nimble, intelligent creatures portrayed in some recent films.

"While we are trying to be as broad as possible in modelling zombies - especially as there are many variables - we have decided not to consider these individuals," the researchers said.

Back for good?

Even so, their analysis revealed that a strategy of capturing or curing the zombies would only put off the inevitable.

In their scientific paper, the authors conclude that humanity's only hope is to "hit them [the undead] hard and hit them often".

They added: "It's imperative that zombies are dealt with quickly or else... we are all in a great deal of trouble."

According to the researchers, the key difference between the zombies and the spread of real infections is that "zombies can come back to life".

Professor Neil Ferguson, who is one of the UK government's chief advisers on controlling the spread of swine flu, said the study did have parallels with some infectious diseases.

"None of them actually cause large-scale death or disease, but certainly there are some fungal infections which are difficult to eradicate," said Professor Ferguson, from Imperial College London.

"There are some viral infections - simple diseases like chicken pox have survived in very small communities. If you get it when you are very young, the virus stays with you and can re-occur as shingles, triggering a new chicken pox epidemic."

Professor Smith? told BBC News: "When you try to model an unfamiliar disease, you try to find out what's happening, try to approximate it. You then refine it, go back and try again."

"We refined the model again and again to say... here's how you would tackle an unfamiliar disease."

Professor Ferguson went on to joke: "The paper considers something that many of us have worried about - particularly in our younger days - of what would be a feasible way of tackling an outbreak of a rapidly spreading zombie infection.

"My understanding of zombie biology is that if you manage to decapitate a zombie then it's dead forever. So perhaps they are being a little over-pessimistic when they conclude that zombies might take over a city in three or four days."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8206280.stm

Professor Robert Smith? (the question mark is part of his surname and not a typographical mistake) (sic) woke up later and wondered what he had written.

"I thought no one would read an article headed Science Ponders Thrush Attack. Anyone got an aspirin?" he groaned and wrapped his head in a cushion. :snore:

a few months ago there was a report about a new orleans man who was attacked and bitten by a strange and crazed acting man. Sorry i cant remember where it was reported but its definatly another sighn we should all read the zombie prepared..... Anyone want to be my zombie buddy

sorry that should have read we should all read the zombie survival guide and be prepared. :roll:

Metairie man says stranger chewed, swallowed after taking bite out of his arm
Posted by pdevlin April 07, 2009 09:51AM

A Metairie resident is recovering after a stranger bit a chunk of flesh out of his arm and swallowed it Saturday afternoon.

Joseph Lancellotti, 67, told authorities he did not know the suspect, later identified as Mario Vargas, 48, or why he was attacked in his front yard.

Lancellotti was gardening at his home in the 4400 block of Kawanee Avenue about 2 p.m. when he noticed a man walking toward his house, shouting angrily, the report said. Lancellotti said he couldn't understand the man because he was yelling in Spanish. But when the man got within two feet, he slugged Lancellotti in the head, the report said.

Lancellotti said he tried to defend himself with a garden rake. As the men struggled over the rake, the stranger bent over and bit Lancellotti on his right forearm, the report said. Lancellotti's flesh ripped away as he fell to the ground. The man then got on top of Lancellotti and began choking him, the report said.

It was then that neighbor Chantal Lorio, a podiatrist and director of the Wound Center at East Jefferson General Hospital, came out to check on Lancellotti. Lorio said Monday that she first thought Lancellotti was having a heart attack and the other man was trying to help him.

The stranger was still gripping Lancellotti as Lorio noticed her neighbor was lying in a pool of blood. She didn't learn what happened until she began dressing the wound -- with the stranger still clutching her neighbor's shirt.

"He said, 'He bit my arm, chewed the flesh and swallowed it in front of me, ' " Lorio recalled. She said the bite measured almost 3 by 1 1/2 inches, and was less than 1/4-inch deep.

The pair tried to calm the stranger, who never made any attempt to run away. He eventually let go of Lancellotti and walked two blocks to a parking lot, where he hovered near an empty police car, the report said. The suspect was still standing there when deputies arrived and took him into custody.

Vargas, of 724 Camp St., New Orleans, was booked with second-degree battery. He was being held Monday at the Jefferson Parish Correctional Center in Gretna in lieu of $25,000 bail.

Lancellotti's wife, Bonnie, 60, said Monday that her husband was recovering from the bite, physically and mentally. She said his sense of safety in his neighborhood has been shaken.

With all the bacteria involved, Lorio said a bite from a human is worse than an animal bite.

Bonnie Lancellotti also has concerns about the suspect, who apparently had been treated at East Jefferson General Hospital earlier in the day for a finger injury. Vargas was released 45 minutes before the attack, according to the incident report.

Bonnie Lancellotti wondered whether hospital staff noticed anything amiss while treating Vargas. "This person's clearly lost his sense, " she said. "I mean, what else can you say, eating people's skin?"

Keith Darcey, spokesman for the hospital, said, "We cannot comment on any individual patient because of privacy laws. But as a matter of general hospital policy, the emergency department has behavioral health nurses available to help diagnose patients who might require mental health assistance."

. . . . . . .

Michelle Hunter can be reached at [email protected] or 504.883.7054.
Categories:

Zombies take over Baltimore University curriculum

It is a class to die for - Zombie studies is now on the curriculum at the University of Baltimore.

The new course, which promises to "get you ready for a zombie apocalypse", invites students to devour classic zombie films and comics.

Instead of essays, they write horror scripts or draw storyboards for their ideal monster movie.

The minor class, titled English 333, has already been dubbed "Zombie 101" by the Baltimore Sun newspaper.

It was introduced to meet a demand for "interesting, off-the-wall" courses for a new minor in pop culture, according to Jonathan Shorr, chairman of the university's school of communications design.

"It's a back door into a lot of subjects," he told the Baltimore Sun.

"They think they're taking this wacko zombie course, and they are. But on the way, they learn how literature and mass media work, and how they come to reflect our times."

However, horror fans will be pleased to find that the class also explores two less academic themes: "blood and guts".

"We're going to be dealing with some of the truly disgusting stuff that's been done in horror over the years," said Arnold Blumberg, author of Zombiemania, who teaches the course.

"I want to reinforce the degree to which this material can be found offensive by a lot of people.

"This is not fluffy bunny cartoon stuff. Bunnies might show up, but they'd probably be torn to pieces." :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11219411

Runners to be chased by 'zombies' in Lincolnshire 5k race
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-18248823

Organisers hope it will attract people who are not normally interested in running

Related Stories

Zombies take to the streets of Prague Watch
Zombie fans hit 'unprepared' city
Council 'unprepared' for zombies

Zombies are set to chase runners taking part in a race in Lincolnshire.

The 5k Zombie Run at the Lincolnshire Showground, will involve competitors being pursued by actors playing the living dead to keep them running.

Community groups Active Kids Lincolnshire and Off The Bench are supporting the event, taking place on 14 October.

Matthew Gooding, one of the organisers, said he took the idea from seeing similar events in the US.

Zombie Run is based on a story that the dead are rising and attacking the living
"These sorts of things are quite big in the US, so the idea came across from there," he said.

"As well as trying to beat the clock you've also got to worry about obstacles as well as the living dead, who are going to be hot on your heels.

"I think we will attract a lot of people who aren't particularly into running.

"They might not think to enter the Lincoln 10k but they love the idea of zombies."

'Ultimate survivor'
Racers will be given a zombie utility belt containing three tags which represent three lives, and the zombies will try to steal these.

"Their job is to try and whip those off of you," said Mr Gooding.

"If you can manage to finish the race in a great time but also keep three lives intact you will be crowned the ultimate survivor."

As well as the 5k race for adults, a shorter race will be held for 12 to 16-year-olds.

Future events are also planned for Nottingham, Derby and Sheffield in 2013.

Zombie pranksters get the tables turned

It's good to see real people are still scared of zombies, and WILL run away...

Zombie pranksters get the tables turned

MIAMI, Fl. – After the news of the zombie-like attack in Miami just over a week ago, the Center for Disease Control was prompted to formally announce that there is no known “zombie virus”.

According to the Huffington Post, “zombie apocalypse” was Google’s third most popular search term six days after the story broke.

Helping feed the fear of a spreading zombie-like disease was the story that followed just days after of 21-year-old Alexander Kinyua of Maryland who allegedly admitted to dismembering his roommate and then eating his heart and brain.

Within the same week, the story broke of the Canadian porn actor who is accused of killing and dismembering a man.

The scare prompted some pranksters in Miami to post this video where at the end, the mischievous fake zombie gets the tables turned on him.

According to the Blaze, CNN’s Ashleigh Banfield has reported that one of the citizens chasing the fake zombie appears to be carrying a gun. The “fake zombie” was apparently able to scream to the crowd that this was just a prank as there were no reported injuries.

http://kwgn.com/2012/06/04/zombie-prank ... -turned-2/

I dont get it.

Zombies are really rare outside of Hati, arent they?

And even there they are docile servants, nothing to be scared of.

Back