Zoonotic Epidemics: H5N1 ('Bird Flu'), SARS, MERS & COVID-19

asparagus

Junior Acolyte
We’ve just come back from Thailand yesterday, and what struck us was that in leaving the country, everyone had to have their fingerprints and thumbprints recorded on a glass screen. When I used it, it was thick with moisture from previous people in the queue. Surely this would be a quick way of spreading infection?

The other thing we noticed was locals on the crowded Bangkok sky train almost all wearing face masks, but taking them off to sneeze into the air (over nearby passengers) and then refitting them!

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
Even at face value, this seems aimed at prohibiting "people who've recently been in China" rather than "Chinese people" per se.

... But, of course, some if not most folks will assume the latter interpretation was intended.
I've just come back from meeting a few work colleagues here in Saigon, who tell me that a local pizza place known to us all has banned all Chinese people. Ignorance is not necessarily a synonym for idiocy, but the two conditions are clearly bedfellows in this instance.

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Now it's reached the UK, I'm waiting for the first reports of some bellends attacking Chinese Restaurants or Chippys.
I think Chinese people around the world are getting some backlash over this disease – I've had a few British Chinese friends upset with some of the anti-chinese sentiment they've seen online as a result of it. I've also heard of people in Thailand refusing to sit next to Chinese people on buses etc. Of course in Hong Kong the same suspicion is laid on mainlanders.

As for rumours, conspiracy theories etc – I've heard from both Chinese and Thai people that this disease 'only affects asians'. I said wasn't there a case in the UK? They said yes, it was a Chinese person.

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
The Vietnamese Ministry of Education has just decreed that all schools are to shut from tomorrow through until next Sunday inclusive, as a countermeasure against the spread of the virus. On the plus side, that's a extra week off for the Lunar New Year, but the substantial minus side is that I'm on a zero hours contract, not a salary, so this month's pay packet will be a bit lean...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
The Vietnamese Ministry of Education has just decreed that all schools are to shut from tomorrow through until next Sunday inclusive, as a countermeasure against the spread of the virus. On the plus side, that's a extra week off for the Lunar New Year, but the substantial minus side is that I'm on a zero hours contract, not a salary, so this month's pay packet will be a bit lean...
I've just received a message that my daughter's pre-school will be closed for a week.

I'm going to continue teaching my own classes--only one to four in each class--negligible risk, but I've already had a few cancelled in advance this week.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I've just received a message that my daughter's pre-school will be closed for a week.

I'm going to continue teaching my own classes--only one to four in each class--negligible risk, but I've already had a few cancelled in advance this week.
No school til March (at least) here...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
My point earlier about how 'patient confidentiality' has gone out of the window in Korea is well-illustrated here.

Elsewhere, there is an interactive map with overlays of patients' names, ages, home addresses and known movements.

Here are the basics:

02194931.jpg

The KCDC, who compile and track all this, have also made an unexpected discovery. All those who have tested positive have had to allow access to their cell-phones and credit cards, which have been used to track their movements and identify likely cases of infection. One of the married men on this list, I confess I forget which, was found to have lied about his movements and it transpired that he had been shacked up with his girlfriend in a hotel when he claimed to be elsewhere. No doubt anybody conducting an affair has a sneaking fear that they might get rumbled, but I can't imagine that this was even a hint of an inkling! His lover, strangely enough, has tested negative for the virus.

More here:
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com....aspx?aid=3073295&cloc=joongangdaily|home|top

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
I think Chinese people around the world are getting some backlash over this disease – I've had a few British Chinese friends upset with some of the anti-chinese sentiment they've seen online as a result of it. I've also heard of people in Thailand refusing to sit next to Chinese people on buses etc. Of course in Hong Kong the same suspicion is laid on mainlanders.
Actually Coronamemes are spreading faster than Coronavirus. I have recently become infected:

Coughing.jpg
coughing 10.jpg
coughing 5.jpg
coughing 9.jpg
coughing 4.jpg

But yes, there is an upsurge in anti-asian racism over the incident, as the memes imply. Worse still, your average racist can't tell the difference between a Thai, a Vietnamese, a Korean and a Chinese person.

As for rumours, conspiracy theories etc – I've heard from both Chinese and Thai people that this disease 'only affects asians'. I said wasn't there a case in the UK? They said yes, it was a Chinese person.
Yeah, they may think it is a targeted biological attack, but it is unlikely to be, as it simply isn't lethal enough. I mean, if you are going to use a targeted biological agent to commit genocide on a phenotype, you had better make the disease a lot more lethal. The whole "most infectious during incubation" is a preferred trait for anyone playing Plague Inc and hoping to wipe out humanity tho, so good choice there. If there prove to be no non-asian infections it may in fact be wise to start pointing fingers a little, but all indications are that Novel Coronavirus is presently highly infectious and potentially lethal to anybody of any race.

The phishers are getting in on the act.

Amid international efforts to contain transmission of the virus, online scammers have already begun exploiting the uncertainty and fear.

A sample phishing email from Tuesday, detected by security firm Mimecast, shows attackers disseminating malicious links and PDFs that claim to contain information on how to protect yourself from the spread of the disease. "Go through the attached document on safety measures regarding the spreading of corona virus," reads the message, which purports to come from a virologist. "This little measure can save you."

Email scammers often try to elicit a sense of fear and urgency in victims. It's not surprising that they would attempt to incorporate the coronavirus into that playbook so quickly. But the move illustrates how phishing attempts so consistently hew to certain time-tested topics and themes.

"Unfortunately we see this often in geopolitical events and world events," says Francis Gaffney, the director of threat intelligence at Mimecast. "This is when cybercriminals seek opportunities to use the confusion that vulnerable people have. They’ll click on links because they’re not sure."

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-phishing-scams/

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Actually Coronamemes are spreading faster than Coronavirus. I have recently become infected:

View attachment 22928 View attachment 22930 View attachment 22933 View attachment 22931 View attachment 22932
But yes, there is an upsurge in anti-asian racism over the incident, as the memes imply. Worse still, your average racist can't tell the difference between a Thai, a Vietnamese, a Korean and a Chinese person.

Yeah, they may think it is a targeted biological attack, but it is unlikely to be, as it simply isn't lethal enough. I mean, if you are going to use a targeted biological agent to commit genocide on a phenotype, you had better make the disease a lot more lethal. The whole "most infectious during incubation" is a preferred trait for anyone playing Plague Inc and hoping to wipe out humanity tho, so good choice there. If there prove to be no non-asian infections it may in fact be wise to start pointing fingers a little, but all indications are that Novel Coronavirus is presently highly infectious and potentially lethal to anybody of any race.

View attachment 22928 View attachment 22930 View attachment 22933 View attachment 22931 View attachment 22932

"can't tell the difference between a Thai, a Vietnamese, a Korean and a Chinese person."

Around 4 years ago I was in Madrid, doing the tour of the Bernabéu stadium and was approached by a group of 4 Chinese tourists, who wanted me to take a group photo of them. They obviously assumed I was Spanish, as they said "por favor" and indicated their phone. I remembered ni hao and explained I was English and happily took their photo. We chatted with a few basic words - London, Beijing, zaijin and nods and smiles, then shook hands and went on our way.
Just to illustrate that mistaking one nationality for another isn't necessarily being racist.

My point earlier about how 'patient confidentiality' has gone out of the window in Korea is well-illustrated here.

Elsewhere, there is an interactive map with overlays of patients' names, ages, home addresses and known movements.

Here are the basics:

View attachment 22920

The KCDC, who compile and track all this, have also made an unexpected discovery. All those who have tested positive have had to allow access to their cell-phones and credit cards, which have been used to track their movements and identify likely cases of infection. One of the married men on this list, I confess I forget which, was found to have lied about his movements and it transpired that he had been shacked up with his girlfriend in a hotel when he claimed to be elsewhere. No doubt anybody conducting an affair has a sneaking fear that they might get rumbled, but I can't imagine that this was even a hint of an inkling! His lover, strangely enough, has tested negative for the virus.

More here:
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com....aspx?aid=3073295&cloc=joongangdaily|home|top
That is fucking insane, is the Korean govt/culture more intrusive generally than the British?

The phishers are getting in on the act.

Amid international efforts to contain transmission of the virus, online scammers have already begun exploiting the uncertainty and fear.

A sample phishing email from Tuesday, detected by security firm Mimecast, shows attackers disseminating malicious links and PDFs that claim to contain information on how to protect yourself from the spread of the disease. "Go through the attached document on safety measures regarding the spreading of corona virus," reads the message, which purports to come from a virologist. "This little measure can save you."

Email scammers often try to elicit a sense of fear and urgency in victims. It's not surprising that they would attempt to incorporate the coronavirus into that playbook so quickly. But the move illustrates how phishing attempts so consistently hew to certain time-tested topics and themes.

"Unfortunately we see this often in geopolitical events and world events," says Francis Gaffney, the director of threat intelligence at Mimecast. "This is when cybercriminals seek opportunities to use the confusion that vulnerable people have. They’ll click on links because they’re not sure."

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-phishing-scams/
If you email me £1000 you will never get Coronavirus, I can also cure impotence for an additional £2000.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
That is fucking insane, is the Korean govt/culture more intrusive generally than the British?
That's a very hard question to answer because a greater level of governmental paternalism is not really permitted, it's expected.

That means that what you (or I) might view as intrusive may not viewed as so inclusive here.

Another factor is that health matters are taken much more seriously here than in Britain and a potential epidemic developing out of a series of small outbreaks is seen by most to trump any individual concerns--and some of the data gleaned is clearly informing public and private action to stymie the spread of the virus.

One minor example, is that many labour laws (for example, maximum working hours legislation) have clauses that allow them to be suspended by the government without congressional approval in military and health emergencies--that has come into play recently to enable more health products and medication to be produced to supply hospitals and the public.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
One bloke claims to have a cure
Man Boasts Of Using Honey And Whisky To Shake Off Coronavirus
BY MODUPEOLUWA ADEKANYE03 FEBRUARY 2020 | 10:26 AM

The first Briton man to contact coronavirus in Wuhan has spoken about how he refused to take the antibiotics given him but rather employed the traditional means of treatment which is Honey and Whisky.

Connor Reed, a 25-year-old English teacher from Wales, was stricken by the virus around two months ago. He had taken himself to hospital in the Chinese city after struggling to breathe with a severe cough in a report by Daily Mail.

Speaking about how he coped, he said:

I used the inhaler which helped control the cough and drank a hot whisky with honey until that ran out. It’s an old fashioned remedy but it seemed to do the trick. I did refuse to take the antibiotics the doctors prescribed me because I didn’t want to take any medicines.
https://guardian.ng/life/man-boasts-of-using-honey-and-whisky-to-shake-off-coronavirus/

I'm willing to give that a try but I think I'll give the honey a miss.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
The lockdown and quarantine measures have side effects on the well-being of folks who aren't infected. Here's a very sad story of a disabled boy's death caused by the quarantine of his sole caregiver - his father.

I don't know if this is the first known instance of such collateral casualties.

RIP Yan Cheng ...

Coronavirus: Disabled boy dies in China after father quarantined

Two officials in China have been removed from their posts after a teenager with cerebral palsy died when his father - and sole carer - was quarantined for suspected coronavirus.

Yan Cheng, 16, was found dead on Wednesday, a week after his father and brother were placed in quarantine.

The boy was fed only twice during this time, according to reports.

Both the local Communist Party secretary and mayor in Huajiahe town have been dismissed over the case. ...

The family lived in China's central Hubei province, the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak.

According to local media, the teenager's father had posted on Chinese social media platform Weibo appealing for help and explaining that his son had been left alone without food or water. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51362772

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
One minor example, is that many labour laws (for example, maximum working hours legislation) have clauses that allow them to be suspended by the government without congressional approval in military and health emergencies--that has come into play recently to enable more health products and medication to be produced to supply hospitals and the public.
I strongly agree with that approach in emergency situations.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
If you want to dig down a bit, the detail here--and the fact that the case was caught early--gives me some slight cause for hope that the virus won't reach significant levels here:

http://m.koreabiomed.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=7361

Picked up at the airport and quarrantined, monitored and tested exhaustively; not possible when you've got tens of thousands of cases like the poor people in Hubei.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Study claiming new coronavirus can be transmitted by people without symptoms was flawed

Source: sciencemag.org
Date: 3 February, 2020

The letter in NEJM described a cluster of infections that began after a businesswoman from Shanghai visited a company near Munich on 20 and 21 January, where she had a meeting with the first of four people who later fell ill. Crucially, she wasn’t sick at the time: “During her stay, she had been well with no sign or symptoms of infection but had become ill on her flight back to China,” the authors wrote. “The fact that asymptomatic persons are potential sources of 2019-nCoV infection may warrant a reassessment of transmission dynamics of the current outbreak.”
But the researchers didn’t actually speak to the woman before they published the paper. The last author, Michael Hoelscher of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich Medical Center, says the paper relied on information from the four other patients: “They told us that the patient from China did not appear to have any symptoms.” Afterward, however, RKI and the Health and Food Safety Authority of the state of Bavaria did talk to the Shanghai patient on the phone, and it turned out she did have symptoms while in Germany. According to people familiar with the call, she felt tired, suffered from muscle pain, and took paracetamol, a fever-lowering medication. (An RKI spokesperson would only confirm to Science that the woman had symptoms.)

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/paper-non-symptomatic-patient-transmitting-coronavirus-wrong

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
PHE reaches crucial step in fully sequencing novel coronavirus

Scientists at Public Health England (PHE) have fully sequenced the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) viral genome.

Source: Public Health England
Date: 4 February, 2020

Scientists at Public Health England (PHE) are supporting the scientific community as it traces the source of the virus, how it has developed and interventions to help treat it.

The UK was one of the first countries outside China to have an assured testing capability for the novel coronavirus. PHE has since rapidly developed further specific tests in partnership with the World Health Organization (WHO) and a global network of laboratories.

The publication of the sequence by PHE provides valuable information on any mutations in the virus over time and allows an improved understanding of how the virus spreads.

The new sequencing in the UK cases illustrates that so far the virus has not evolved to better infect humans since the sequence was first published by China.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-reaches-crucial-step-in-fully-sequencing-novel-coronavirus

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Coronavirus: Doctors fear pregnant women can pass on illness after newborn baby is diagnosed

The newborn was confirmed to have the virus 30 hours after its birth at the Wuhan Children's Hospital in Hubei province.

Source: Sky News
Date: 5 February, 2020 16:25, UK

Doctors fear pregnant women with coronavirus may be able to pass it on to their unborn children, after a baby was diagnosed with the illness just 30 hours after its birth.

A mother with the deadly virus gave birth to the child at the Wuhan Children Hospital in Hubei province on 2 February, China's state broadcaster CCTV reported.

The newborn was given a test 30 hours later and was confirmed to have coronavirus, doctors said.

Wuhan city is the epicentre of the outbreak that has killed 492 people in China and another person in the Philippines.

There have been more than 24,500 laboratory-confirmed cases of the virus, with 28 cases confirmed in Europe, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control has said.

The newborn has stable vital signs and no fever or cough but has been experiencing shortness of breath, doctors said.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...ness-after-newborn-baby-is-diagnosed-11926968