Zoos

titch

Justified & Ancient
When i was very young i was taken to a trip to glasgow or edinburgh zoo and what i saw there put me off zoo's for many years, there was a tiger pacing up and down in a tiny cage and a polar bear standing on a concrete island surrounded by a tiny amount of water. I never went to a zoo again, until friday when a friend insisted i go to chester zoo.

I was amazed! it was so different from the zoo's i remembered as a child, the animals seem to have plenty of room and appear contented, i was so happy there i went again for a few hours today before i had to catch my train.

But before i start singing the praises of zoo's, is chester an exception to the rule or have all zoo's been forced to up their game by law?

rynner2

Great Old One
'Zoos' doesn't need an apostrophe.

Although, if you think of Zoo as an abbreviation for Zoological Garden, perhaps it does! :confused:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
'Zoos' doesn't need an apostrophe.

Although, if you think of Zoo as an abbreviation for Zoological Garden, perhaps it does! :confused:
Maybe it's a bold statement: "Zoo is!" Didn't think of that, did you?

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Zoos have improved no end over the years. I'm sure it will be due to improved regulation. I have mixed feelings about zoos. I love seeing exotic animals, but I don't like that they're caged. On the other hand a lot of zoos are heavily involved with conservation. And with some parts of the world making real progress in cutting deforestation, the pools of zoo bred animals may become critical in the future.

That looks like a terrific zoo, Swifty. I've been around tgat way loads of times and didn't realise there was a zoo there. I love that it's South American themed. Perhaps I'll go by that way this summer, if I get the chance.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Zoos have improved no end over the years. I'm sure it will be due to improved regulation. I have mixed feelings about zoos. I love seeing exotic animals, but I don't like that they're caged. On the other hand a lot of zoos are heavily involved with conservation. And with some parts of the world making real progress in cutting deforestation, the pools of zoo bred animals may become critical in the future.

That looks like a terrific zoo, Swifty. I've been around tgat way loads of times and didn't realise there was a zoo there. I love that it's South American themed. Perhaps I'll go by that way this summer, if I get the chance.
Send me a pm if you do and we can hook up there!

G

GeorgeP

Ive never been to a Zoo, well there was a mini one at Skegness one summer but I dont think that counts.

titch

Justified & Ancient
i used to walk into cromer from sheringham all the time while on holiday, in order to get me some custard doughnuts from morrisons, and had no idea there was a zoo there!

If you believe their advertising chester zoo is heavily into conservation and i don't think you can class their animals as caged, i wanted to see the tiger cubs but failed due to the size of the enclosure and the dense foliage.

at one point all the chimps starting shrieking and battering each other, and then one came wal..knuckling away from the fight,sat on its own and looked like it was thinking OOOHHH FFS! I HATE MY FAMILY! and i thought that chimp is ME! (i took a superb photo, but it appears to large to upload)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
i used to walk into cromer from sheringham all the time while on holiday, in order to get me some custard doughnuts from morrisons, and had no idea there was a zoo there! ...
Sheringham to Cromer down the coast line is about an hour and a half walk .... were you addicted to custard? ... it's Cromer's second zoo ... the older 60's one's up the top of the hill from Morrisons ... it's a waste ground now .... (fun fact)

titch

Justified & Ancient
I walked along the coast once, but just before cromer the coast was invaded by holidayprison camp which seemed to have no way in , so i walked over beeston bump, then cut inland and walked to cromer by dark and secret paths, i could do the whole walk and only meet people as i left sheringham and entered cromer.I do like custard doughnuts but the main point of the exercise was to get me away from my family.

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
I also visited Chester Zoo for the first time recently. Was excited at the prospect of seeing real live Komodo dragons, but they were only lickle. As far as I can tell, Chester is the only zoo that has an actual pub within the grounds (the "Scouse enclosure", according to my brother :D).

In terms of zoo design, don't we and the animals all owe a huge debt to Gerald Durrell? Now there was a man who had something of a thirst - his Corfu trilogy is a beautiful evocation of a charmed childhood (although where the facts got in the way of the story, the story won) but one in which every other person seemed pretty sodden in drink. You can see where he got it from. Nonetheless, I think he pioneered large enclosures, removing cages, and many of the other advances in zoo design we now know. Jersey Zoo is, as you might expect from the foregoing, pretty awesome. London Zoo not so much. And as for Ho Chi Minh City Zoo: :( and :mad: combined.

titch

Justified & Ancient
cutchimp.jpg i think i have cracked it thanks to the admiral.

Last edited:

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I think humane zoos should exist. With elephant and rhino poachers continuing their trade and the Chinese still having a fondness for Tiger Wang, we need Arks where we can repopulate the species if need be.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Seems no matter how far conservation drives go, there are always large gangs killing these animals off for magic powders or ornaments or whatever made out of the creatures' bodies. Someday soon the zoos will be the only places left to see them. We've been warned often enough.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Populations of some animals look grim, and certainly some will become extinct due to human expansion. But there are a surprising number of success stories and a lot of progress that doesn't always get reported. There's a youth movement against unsustainable Chinese medicine which is quite strong. And the number of times I've heard people ask what's the point in bothering about the environment because 'China's not going to care about it'! China is actually doing an awful lot to preserve both its own natural landscapes and species as well as increasing sustainable energy. I love the lemurs of Madagascar, and frankly see little hope for them, but for much of the world I see great hope. Progress is being made.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
OK, I'll allow some optimism then. Still think the tigers and African elephants might have had their day, but here's hoping they're the exception not the rule.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Populations of some animals look grim, and certainly some will become extinct due to human expansion. But there are a surprising number of success stories and a lot of progress that doesn't always get reported. There's a youth movement against unsustainable Chinese medicine which is quite strong. And the number of times I've heard people ask what's the point in bothering about the environment because 'China's not going to care about it'! China is actually doing an awful lot to preserve both its own natural landscapes and species as well as increasing sustainable energy. I love the lemurs of Madagascar, and frankly see little hope for them, but for much of the world I see great hope. Progress is being made.

Yeah I have lots of black kitties they'll still be around for a bit.