Zoos

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Ever thought of making the upgrade to a panther? There's plenty in the British countryside, it's like a safari park out there.

Oomingmak

hunting for sherds
Just incidentally, I really like hyenas. I have no idea why, but always wanted some baby pet ones.
The following letter is from BBC Wildlife Magazine, May 1993; curiously, it makes me like them even more:
Laughter in the Dark - On a recent holiday in Africa, I was with a group of people who became paranoid because of the sound of hyenas calling in the night. I told them not to worry because hyenas don't attack people, but someone else told me that if you go to bed after eating meat, a hyena may smell it and attack your face. I was also told that a hyena can smell a baby in a pregnant woman and will attack. Perry Whetton, London SW16.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I'll be there on Friday with the missus (it's her birthday) .. I'll probably be wearing a Ghost Busters T-shirt :) ... don't sweat it if you can't turn up, we'll be doing our own thing anyway (including filming all the good stuff)

Last edited:

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
I'll be there on Friday with the missus (it's her birthday) .. I'll probably be wearing a Ghost Busters T-shirt :) ... don't sweat it if you can't turn up, we'll be doing our own thing anyway (including filming all the good stuff)
Oh, I'll be working. Thinking about it, I haven't yet booked any time off this year. I really should get on that. Have a grand day, and happy birthday to Mrs Swifty!:)

titch

Justified & Ancient
I was at paradise wildlife park, broxbourne today,it was a nice place to visit, not many animals but it has all five of the big cats, i had never seen a leopard before and was surprised how small it was.It was also in a small cage , there was a notice saying the leopard was in a cage much smaller before it came to the zoo and they couldn't put it in a larger cage straight away but would work up to it. The jaguar also didn't have much of a cage but the tigers and lions seemed happy, and you could get very close to them and get some excellent photos

The worst thing about the zoo was the penguin enclosure, it really was disgusting.Two suicidal penguins standing forlornly over a muddy puddle, it didn't have the heart to look at them for more than a few seconds.

BUT BUT BUT THERE WAS A SNOW LEOPARD!!! it was the loveliest cutest cat ever!! i want one for christmas!

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

titch

Justified & Ancient
Paradise wildlife park has a few lemurs, chester zoo has LOTS of them, trouble is they are on there own heavily wooded island, so the only time i have ever seen them is at feeding time

PeteByrdie

Paradise wildlife park has a few lemurs, chester zoo has LOTS of them, trouble is they are on there own heavily wooded island, so the only time i have ever seen them is at feeding time
I've travelled a fair way to see lemurs, but chester might be a little far from Cambridgeshire. My next jaunt might be a camping trip with my sister and her kids near to Africa Alive, where I believe they have a fossa. :clap:

I wonder how many times I'll have to go before actually seeing it. I've been going to my local wildlife park for years, and have only ever got two brief glimpses of the jaguarundi.:huh:

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
The Cotswald Wildlife Park is an excellent place to visit -great big open spaces!
It's near where my daughter lives in Oxfordshire.
Every time my son took a new girlfriend to meet his sister, they ended up going there!
To be fair, my daughter says her brother should have become a zoo keeper. :)

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
The Cotswald Wildlife Park is an excellent place to visit -great big open spaces!
It's near where my daughter lives in Oxfordshire.
Every time my son took a new girlfriend to meet his sister, they ended up going there!
To be fair, my daughter says her brother should have become a zoo keeper. :)
So she didn't get on well with her potential sisters-in-law, then? o_O

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
:D He's in a more permanent arrangement now. They've just moved in together in a one bedroom rented flat in Bethnal Green (London) -£350 a WEEK! No money for visiting zoos any more!

Back to the Cotswald place - my daughter and I went there without him last time.
We tried hard to spot the sloth in amongst all the greenery. We were surprised how small it was.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
A woman bought some bananas yesterday 'for her monkeys'. Her daughter and her both have a monkey each! I asked if they are hard to keep? The mother said that it doesn't like her husband. When he walks in the monkey grabs his penis and wees on him!

PaulwRus

Junior Acolyte
Best place I know for lemurs is Athens Zoo (Attica Park). We were there this August. They have an open enclosure where they run free. You are not allowed to feed them, but you don't have to as they come up to you anyway and climb all over you if you sit on a bench. They really were cute and not in the least nervous or pestering, just nice and friendly.

athens_lemurs.JPG

Sorry, it's a bit far from Cambridge. Actually, it's a bit far from Athens too.

PeteByrdie

Dudley Zoo has a wooded one-acre area inhabited by eighteen lemurs (Ring-tailed, Ruffed, Black, and Collared). Visitors can walk through the area: the lemurs are unafraid of people, and often come very close.
Best place I know for lemurs is Athens Zoo (Attica Park). We were there this August. They have an open enclosure where they run free. You are not allowed to feed them, but you don't have to as they come up to you anyway and climb all over you if you sit on a bench. They really were cute and not in the least nervous or pestering, just nice and friendly.

View attachment 1576

Sorry, it's a bit far from Cambridge. Actually, it's a bit far from Athens too.
That's great to know. Next question; if I got a false tail and ears and wore a furry jacket, would either of these places notice if I crept into the lemur area and just stayed there?

amyasleigh

Abominable Snowman
You go round and admire the zoo, then dress up as a lemur
(Serafina ! Serafina !)
And if you grease the keepers' palms, they'll swear they've never seen ya --
(Serafina ! O, Serafina !)

PeteByrdie

Expect me to be absent from the forum for a while. I'm considering a big change in lifestyle.

PeteByrdie

Dammit! Turns out captive lemurs are DNA tested for genetic diversity purposes. My dream of becoming a lemur will have to wait until I can join a wild troop in Madagascar.:( Still, there are plenty of places I can see them in Britain. I might visit Dudley Zoo without the lemur costume. This time! :evil: