Zoos

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I thought an apostrophe was used when there are more than one of something ? ...... "I like zoos." means you like a lot if not most of the ones you have visited. If a zoo gets a bad reputation, then "That zoo's (zoo is) not worth visiting. If Rynner or Monstrosa have an opinion, that becomes Rynner's or Monstrosa's opinion.

rynner2

Great Old One
I thought an apostrophe was used when there are more than one of something ? ......
Are you a grocer? :p
"I like zoos." means you like a lot if not most of the ones you have visited. If a zoo gets a bad reputation, then "That zoo's (zoo is) not worth visiting. If Rynner or Monstrosa have an opinion, that becomes Rynner's or Monstrosa's opinion.
And rynner's opinion on the possessive apostrophe is that it derived from "rynner, his opinion".
(Of course women weren't allowed to own things, not even an opinion! :evil:)

rynner2

Great Old One
"Superfluous apostrophes ("greengrocers’ apostrophes")

A sign diverting passengers to a temporary taxi rank at Leeds railway station, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom, with the extraneous apostrophe crossed out by an unknown copy editor.
Apostrophes used in a non-standard manner to form noun plurals are known as greengrocers’ apostrophes or grocers’ apostrophes, often called (spelled) greengrocer’s apostrophes[59] and grocer’s apostrophes."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apost....28.22greengrocers.E2.80.99_apostrophes.22.29

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Er, back with the lemurs, I believe their Madagascan habitat is endangered because the island has destroyed most of it to grow plants for our recyclable paper. So Pete might have to stick with the British lemurs for the foreseeable.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Er, back with the lemurs, I believe their Madagascan habitat is endangered because the island has destroyed most of it to grow plants for our recyclable paper. So Pete might have to stick with the British lemurs for the foreseeable.
That's what you think! I'm planning a lemur uprising. We'll take that island back!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
"Superfluous apostrophes ("greengrocers’ apostrophes")

A sign diverting passengers to a temporary taxi rank at Leeds railway station, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom, with the extraneous apostrophe crossed out by an unknown copy editor.
Apostrophes used in a non-standard manner to form noun plurals are known as greengrocers’ apostrophes or grocers’ apostrophes, often called (spelled) greengrocer’s apostrophes[59] and grocer’s apostrophes."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Superfluous_apostrophes_.28.22greengrocers.E2.80.99_apostrophes.22.29
I never new that, I live and learn ! :)

amyasleigh

Abominable Snowman
You haven't seen our Army of Indri. It'll be a cute, furry tsunami of TERROR!
To say nothing of the shock-creepy Aye-Aye Battalion. To quote Douglas Adams on this beast, "If a spaceship were to land on earth, [this would be] the creature most likely to emerge from its cargo doors. One of the strangest animals on the planet... it looks as if it has been assembled from bits of other animals".

rynner2

Great Old One
Cincinnati zoo gorilla shot dead as boy falls into enclosure
[Video]

Zoo officials have shot dead a gorilla after a four-year-old boy fell into its enclosure in the US city of Cincinnati.
The boy climbed though a barrier and fell into a moat, where he was grabbed and dragged by the gorilla.
The zoo said it took action to shoot the 400lb (180kg) gorilla as the situation was "life-threatening". The boy is expected to recover.

Last week two lions were shot dead in a zoo in Chile after a man entered their pen in an apparent suicide attempt.

Cincinnati zoo has temporarily shut its gorilla exhibit following the incident on Saturday.
The boy had fallen about 10ft into the moat. Video shows the boy being dragged through the shallow moat. The gorilla then stops, with the child below him and looking up at him.

But the boy was reportedly dragged by the 17-year-old male western lowland gorilla named Harambe for about 10 minutes.
The child was taken to a local hospital and although no information about his condition has been released it is believed he will recover.

Zoo director Thane Maynard said: "[The officials] made a tough choice and they made the right choice because they saved that little boy's life. It could have been very bad."

He said a tranquilliser would not have had a quick enough effect.
Mr Maynard said that although the boy was not under attack, he "certainly was at risk".
He added: "We are all devastated that this tragic accident resulted in the death of a critically-endangered gorilla. This is a huge loss for the zoo family and the gorilla population worldwide."

Two female gorillas in the enclosure did not approach the child and were unharmed.

Harambe was born in captivity in Texas and moved to Cincinnati zoo in 2014, where it was hoped he could be part of a breeding programme. Cincinnati zoo has had the largest number of western lowland gorilla births in the US.

In a similar incident in 1986 on the island of Jersey, a Crown dependency of the UK, a five-year-old boy fell into a gorilla enclosure.
He lost consciousness and a silverback gorilla called Jambo famously stood guard over him, protecting him from other gorillas and stroking his back. When the boy came round he started to cry and the gorillas retreated, allowing keepers to rescue the child, Levan Merritt.
A life-sized statue of Jambo fetched £18,000 ($26,000) at auction and he even appeared on Jersey stamps.

The western lowland subspecies inhabits west African rainforests and is the most numerous, although exact figures are not known. There are more than 500 in zoos worldwide.

The shooting of the lions last week in Santiago, Chile, brought criticism from activists. Zoo officials said no fast-activating tranquillisers were available.
The man had jumped into the enclosure and stripped naked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36407643

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
First world zoos have gotten so much better since the 70's or so (that apostrophe is OK according to Harbrace Handbook) that I'm afraid that many, unfortunately for wild places, compare well to real life habitats whose staff must battle poacher greed and the desire for the superstitious to have boner pills containing bits of rhino.
But the death at the Cincinnati zoo had hub and me discussing liability. Perhaps the next effort must be toward looking at barriers and parenting. Is the zoo, and others that had similar situations have been in the news for years, liable for having a barrier for the gorilla enclosure that a mere four year old could scamper into? Or were the barriers deemed adequate for most situations, and the should the zoo sue the Hell out of the parents for not keeping their eyes, if not their hands, on such a tiny kid whose activity led to the loss of a rare asset to the zoo and an untimely killing?

rynner2

Great Old One
Gorilla killing: Harambe's death at zoo prompts backlash

The killing of a gorilla at a zoo in the US city of Cincinnati after a four-year-old boy fell into its enclosure has triggered outrage on social media.
Many said male gorilla Harambe should not have been shot dead as he did not intend to hurt the boy, some using the hashtag #JusticeForHarambe.
Others said the parents should be held responsible for not looking after their child during Saturday's incident.

Zoo officials shot dead the gorilla after he grabbed and dragged the boy.
The zoo said it had taken this action against the 400lb (180kg) gorilla as the situation was "life-threatening".

Twitter user StrayanRepublic, wrote: "#HARAMBE wasn't dragging him to kill him... he was protecting the child from the threat of screaming tourists. @Xoxjlove @CincinnatiZoo."

Kenz, another user, posted this message: "#JusticeForHarambe its so sad that an endangered animal had to be put down because of careless parenting."

Meanwhile, Andrue wrote: "Why don't zoos have instant acting tranquilizer? First those 2 lions now Harambe #JusticeForHarambe."
He was referring to last week's incident when two lions were shot dead in a zoo in Chile after a man entered their pen in an apparent suicide attempt.

More than 60,000 people have also signed a special petition, calling for the boy's parents to "be held accountable for the lack of supervision and negligence that caused Harambe to lose his life".

Cincinnati zoo has temporarily shut its gorilla exhibit following the incident.
The boy had climbed through a barrier and fallen about 3m (10ft) into the moat. Video shows the boy being dragged through the shallow moat. The gorilla then stops, with the child below him and looking up at him.
But reports say this was only a partial picture, and the boy was dragged by the 17-year-old male western lowland gorilla for about 10 minutes.
He was taken to a local hospital and although no information about his condition has been released, it is believed he will fully recover.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36410841

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
I would just point out that, in the gorilla case, tranquilizers can make things worse. If the animal is already agitated, the adrenaline can stop the tranquilizer working for a significant amount of time (according to David Taylor, the zoo vet, in his books anyway...).

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
I don't think they really had a choice, as upsetting as it was. It looked to me as if the gorilla was just playing but he could have easily hurt the boy accidentally. Very sad. :(