Zoos

titch

Justified & Ancient
would a stun gun/cattle prod have been useful in this situation?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Cattle prods are usually on short sticks, and the gorilla would just swipe them away and kill whoever was carrying them.
Similarly for stun guns.
Taser guns... a gorilla would be less affected by these than a human, because of body mass and thick, leathery skin.
It would just make him howling-mad angry.
You'd need to build a special taser that would work with a gorilla, and because of the Humane Society etc. I don't think these are in general use in zoos.

titch

Justified & Ancient
i have a cunning plan. myth can distract angry gorillas with a banana while i run in and rescue the child,hand it over to a very happy milf, then its all round to mrs miggins pie shop for a slap up meal

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
i have a cunning plan. myth can distract angry gorillas with a banana while i run in and rescue the child,hand it over to a very happy milf, then its all round to mrs miggins pie shop for a slap up meal
...Leaving me to get pally with a gorilla...yeah.

rynner2

Great Old One
Cincinnati gorilla shooting: Police to investigate parents

A police investigation into the killing of a gorilla at Cincinnati Zoo after a three-year-old fell into an enclosure will focus on the boy's parents.
Hamilton County Prosecutor Joseph Deters said the police would later "confer with our office on possible criminal charges".

The zoo says it had no choice but to kill the gorilla, and has defended its safety measures around the enclosure.
Animal activists have accused the zoo of negligence.
Stop Animal Exploitation Now, a Cincinnati-based animal rights group, said it had filed a federal complaint against the zoo with the US Department of Agriculture (USDA).

The police said that their review of the incident "is only regarding the actions of the parents/family that led up to the incident and not related to the operation or safety of the Cincinnati Zoo."

The parents of the boy, who suffered minor injuries in the incident, have also faced heavy criticism on social media.

Cincinnati Police on Tuesday corrected earlier statements which had given the boy's age as four.
The case report provided by police states that witnesses said the gorilla at first appeared to be protecting the boy, but then grew agitated due to screaming onlookers. It then began to drag him.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36420437

titch

Justified & Ancient
I spent 3 days at chester zoo, its as amazing as ever, the highlight was on sunday, it seems the short clawed otters share an enclosure with some of the orangutans, a keeper started feeding the otters, and realising this one of the orangutans held out its hand, as if say WHERE IS MINE THEN PAL??

titch

Justified & Ancient
i visited howletts wild animal park today, it is very good, not a patch on chester but still well worth a visit, the best thing about the wild life park (it is a NOT a zoo) is the lemur walkthrough, you enter the enclosure through two sets of doors then stand amazed as lemurs jump over your head and run across the path, it was worth the admission price just for that.

On the downside while the gorillas seemed happy and well cared for, the style of cage was very dated, howletts should check out the new orangutan enclosure at chester zoo to see how things should be done

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
i visited howletts wild animal park today, it is very good, not a patch on chester but still well worth a visit, the best thing about the wild life park (it is a NOT a zoo) is the lemur walkthrough, you enter the enclosure through two sets of doors then stand amazed as lemurs jump over your head and run across the path, it was worth the admission price just for that.
I love lemur walkthroughs. I hope I get a chance to go to Howletts.

titch

Justified & Ancient
i hope you get the chance, its a good...not a zoo... they even state at the entrance the animals come first and for that reason some cages are set away from the paths and they ask you to be patient and not be a moany arse if you dont see some animals.

I really wanted too see a pallas's cat, i did see two sunbathing near closing time but couldn't get a decent picture because of the cage and the same happened with the iberian wolves, i sneaked like a baldie ninja up to thier cage and spotted one asleep under a tree but just couldn't get a good picture because of the cage.

But that shouldn't be a problem with the lemurs, they seem to enjoy posing for the camera!

oldrover

Justified & Ancient

On the downside while the gorillas seemed happy and well cared for, the style of cage was very dated, howletts should check out the new orangutan enclosure at chester zoo to see how things should be done
I'd just clicked off this article before coming on here

https://chasmosaurs.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/port-lympnes-dinosaur-forest.html#more

I want to see the ambulocetus and the brontothere.

titch

Justified & Ancient

titch

Justified & Ancient
after being upset when i was last there (about 57254526 years ago) i revisited edinburgh zoo, its by no means close to chester zoo but its still good (and i got in for free because i am a member of chester zoo)

It beats chester on the penguin front, and i love the tiger tunnel, the tigers walk right over your head!and the lion enclosure is way better then chester but best of all it has wild cats!! i have never seen a wild cat before, i couldnt get a decent picture of them,but it was wonderful just too see one.
edinburgh zoo1.jpg endinburghzoo2.jpg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I once spent a week in the heart of what was referred to in the brochure as 'Wildcat Country' but predictably didn't see one. Neither had any of the locals I asked. I did see a Golden Eagle and Osprey though.
I dreamt last night that I was stroking a ginger wild cat that had a sort of beard ... In other news, Karla The Elephant .. never forget ..

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
I've been to the amusement park at Drayton Manor, but I don't think we went in the zoo. (Chav that I am! :))

titch

Justified & Ancient
Easter Monday i went to Yorkshire wildlife park, Doncaster. It was packed as you would expect but the enclosures are so well designed its easy to get a good look at animals even if lots of other people are there.

It seems to go more for the glamorous animals, not many birds, insects snakes etc that chester does, but what it does it does very well, the animals seem to have very large enclosures that are also arranged so its easy to take good photos, the lion enclosure really makes chester's look prehistoric. I assume it comes from being a new zoo with lots of room to expand.

Best of all it has polar bears!!! four of them!! and armadillos!! yorkshirearmidillofacebook.jpg yorkshirefacebooklion.jpg yorkshirepolarbearfacebook.jpg