Zoos

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I've been to the amusement park at Drayton Manor, but I don't think we went in the zoo. (Chav that I am! :))
I was able to blag into Drayton Manor for free pretty often, partly because I was friends with and went to school with the owner's Son, William Bryan who last thing I heard works at Disney Land in Paris and also because I was dating a girl who worked there years later so I could drive in there for free to give her a lift home ..

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

titch

Justified & Ancient
Highly suspicious. Died overnight? All of them?
No idea, the zoo is very loud to trumpet it's successful breeding programmes , but when something goes very wrong they clam up.

Talking about successful breeding programmes, they have a baby sun bear!! Cuteness levels unBEARably high!
FB_IMG_1537425981673.jpg

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Chester Zoo has a particularly Fortean story attached to it. It's definitely not true, but here it is anyway.

The following is from Our Zoo, by June Mottershead, daughter of the zoo's founder (I believe), and relates to stock transferred to Chester From Shavington Zoo after its closure in 1932.

There was Lulu the ring-tailed lemur, who was really a pet and didn't get on with other monkeys. Then there was a Tasmanian Devil, a viscous marsupial with stripes on its back going from side to side, that looked like a dog and whom I absolutely hated. Luckily he didn't stay long as Dad didn't like him either and exchanged him for something else.

(above quote taken from a Zoo Chat thread https://www.zoochat.com/community/threads/thylacine-at-chester-zoo-in-1932.387689/)

That's clearly a description of a thylacine, not a Tasmanian devil. So is it possible that they kept a thylacine at Chester in 1932? Absolutely not. Every big Zoo in Europe and the U.S would have kicked their door in, and the last tigers in Europe were two females sent in 1925 to London, and are both fully accounted for.

But I find it very interesting that the descriptions have been confused, and an apparent false memory created by the late author. It's noted on the thread linked to above that they did in fact have a devil though.

One striking feature of this though, is that if you research it things do seem to start suggesting there may have been some truth in it, but luckily in this instance we can be sure that's the result of coincidence. But I wonder how many other unrelated and as yet unresolved topics and theories, Fotean or otherwise, based on similarly suggestive evidence would fall if we only knew that little bit more.

No idea, the zoo is very loud to trumpet it's successful breeding programmes , but when something goes very wrong they clam up.
This is a tendency I've also noted at the old Beaumaris Zoo at Hobart, and it makes for a bloody nightmare for anyone researching its history.

Last edited:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
We have one on the tv on The Bachelor at the moment so maybe they need to be.

Swifty

We're off back to Cromer zoo today because the Mrs has got one of those free passes to places for staff cards. I'm going to see if I can blag some more free Rhea feathers and am crossing my fingers they've got some new stuff :). I especially like watching the fire ants running about in the reptile enclosure through the tunnels.

We're off back to Cromer zoo today because the Mrs has got one of those free passes to places for staff cards. I'm going to see if I can blag some more free Rhea feathers and am crossing my fingers they've got some new stuff :). I especially like watching the fire ants running about in the reptile enclosure through the tunnels.
Don't go into the ape house! They'll keep you there.

Try and get some photos please.

Swifty

If you can get one of a monkey wanking off a tapir, that would be gold dust mate.
How about I wank off the tapir while the monkey takes pictures? .. anyway I'm back home now and am charging my phone to get some Johnny Morris magic all up in this thread.