Zoos

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Looks like I am visiting north Norfolk at some point....
Let me know if you do and I can tell you the best place to visit, to eat and to stay at. The Grove Hotel also has luxury yurts with wood burners if you're feeling a bit more adventurous (self catering of course)

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
I love lemurs. Does Monkey World have lemurs?
Three years late in answering - but yes, MW does have lemurs, in a semi-free range habitat. One piddled on me from on high when visiting in early 2016.

I can recommend Monkey World in that the enclosures are massive, entry is reasonable and the whole park is geared to the needs of the hairy primates first. The human facilities are also good, expecially for disabled visitors. Going in winter or outside of school holidays is the best time. Wrap up warm and take a packed lunch - it can take all day to get around as the habitats are are so large.

I am the only person I know of who's been peed on by a lemur. Beat that!

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
I can recommend Monkey World in that the enclosures are massive, entry is reasonable and the whole park is geared to the needs of the hairy primates first. The human facilities are also good, especially for disabled visitors. Going in winter or outside of school holidays is the best time. Wrap up warm and take a packed lunch - it can take all day to get around as the habitats are are so large.
When the Coalettes were little we took annual memberships, even at a time when pennies were few, because even on the darkest longest Sunday, they could scamper about and there was a tea-shop with an indoor play area!

Mrs Coal went recently and found it looking rather run down and un-maintained.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
looks like its not as bad as bad as it could have been, but that building is quite new so i am surprised it seemed to catch fire so easily
Now we know no humans were harmed, I wonder how they evacuated the animals?

titch

Justified & Ancient
Chester zoo posted this on their Facebook page
A message from us…
Yesterday was one of the toughest days in Chester Zoo’s long history. The remarkable efforts from the zoo team and the emergency services meant the fire was extinguished as quickly as possible.
Visitors were evacuated immediately and we would like to thank them for their understanding and cooperation. Thankfully, no staff or public were harmed in the incident.
Keepers were able to encourage all mammal species away from the fire and to safety - including the zoo’s group of critically endangered Sumatran orangutans, Sulawesi macaques, endangered silvery gibbons and birds such as rhinoceros hornbills.
We are though, devastated to say that we were unable to save some of our insects, frogs, fish and small birds who were located near to the outbreak of the fire. It’s absolutely heart-breaking to lose any animal, especially when conservationists have worked so hard to breed these wonderful species.
New homes have been found within the zoo for all of the animals that were led to safety and our teams are working around the clock to relocate them as soon as possible.
The strength and support from the public has been incredibly overwhelming and the messages of goodwill have been of great comfort to our teams. We will support each other in rebuilding this part of the zoo and continue our mission of preventing extinction.

looks like the pictures i took of the free flying birds on friday afternoon will be among some of the last.

Lord Lucan

Abominable Snowman
The very best zoo I have ever been to is Singapore's. In fact there's really three, the original Singapore Zoo which has the most spectacular free range orangutan enclosure where they swing and climb and relax and play in the trees above you as you wander about below watching in awe. The River Safari which has a giant panda exhibit (one male & one female) and whilst not the most active animals, until you've seen one in person you just can't imagine how impossibly beautiful they are. Plus there's an enormous manatee tank which mesmerized me for hours simply watching them glide through the water and feeding. Massive, gentle and elegant. There's also the Night Safari which only opens at dusk and features creatures of the night. It's remarkable, fascinating, educational, fun and bloody hot.

Speaking of zoos and orangutans, I am always reminded of the legendary:

Ken Allen, Orangutan escape artist of San Diego Zoo

Read the entire story above for a good laugh, he was quite the character. I especially enjoyed this paragraph:

''The local news kept up with him for a few more years, but the coverage gradually faded, and Ken Allen returned to a simple life of sitting in his pen and giving young children the finger.''

Last edited:

titch

Justified & Ancient
The chester zoo crocs are safe! They were in an area unaffected by the fire, just as well, I wouldn't fancy flinging a wet towel round one then picking it up and legging it.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Thank you! I got lucky that day, the cats where all posing nicely (apart from the jaguar's) and they were within range of my new camera, I am not happy with that, my old one could do better from further
Just keep posting the photos. look at the Tigers forehead. Amazing - great to see that patterning.