Zoos

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Bashing a alligator on the snout with a rolled up newspaper will often make it back off,
just don't try the same thing with a crocodile, so make sure you know the difference
then you can decide if you need to make a trip to the gun shop or newsagents.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Another captive tiger dies in fight with two other tigers

This one at Longleat Safari Park

A rare Amur tiger, also known as Siberian Tiger, has died in a fight with two other tigers at Longleat Safari and Adventure Park.

Thirteen-year-old female Shouri, who died on Monday, had lived at the park since 2006.

Longleat said: "During the process of moving the tigers between the various outdoor paddocks, a door connecting two areas was opened which meant Shouri was able to gain access to the same outdoor area as Red and Yana.

"The dedicated team of keepers who care for our big cats are, understandably, extremely distraught by the events and we are doing everything we can to help and support them."

Red and Yana arrived at Longleat last year as a breeding pair.

According to WWF, Amur tigers, also known as the Siberian tiger, were once found throughout the Russian Far East, northern China, and the Korean peninsula.

By the 1940s, hunting had driven them to the brink of extinction. The population is now endangered, with around 540 believed to be remaining.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Now there are calls for a change in the law, but i cannot see how either of the tiger deaths would have been avoided with that, one seems to have been wild animals being just that, and the other was a mistake that could happen no matter how many laws there are.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47230677

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Crikey, another big cat death after a fight.

Lion mauled & killed by lionesses at Knowsley Safari Park, Merseyside.

Seven-year-old Mojo was badly injured following a fight with lionesses in the enclosure which is not uncommon within a mixed-sex group.

Fighting occurred overnight and Mojo was discovered in the morning by keepers performing routine checks who moved swiftly to give him pain relief.

Sadly Mojo died while recovering from the anaesthetic and a post-mortem revealed it was down to internal injuries not visible on external examination.

“This behaviour is something that naturally happens in the wild. Lions live in a pride comprising of related females who remain members of a pride long-term.

“Male lions become a member of the pride because the females accept him as such. As a result, the life of a male lion is much more socially precarious than that of the females.

“The lion has to win the grace of the females to become their pride male.

“Conflict is a normal part of lion social behaviour. In most instances these are superficial scratches and cuts, in rare events more severe injuries can be sustained.”

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Not really on topic but there was a falconry (and owlry) display at arundel castle on Saturday, the birds where beautiful and the flight displays astonishing. Now I want a barn owl to display with publicly.
I've recently read that birds of prey used in demonstrations are starved beforehand to encourage them to perform.
Surely this is not cruel if they're just missing breakfast and then being set loose to fly about a bit and then collect a lump of juicy meat?
It'd work for me.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
I've recently read that birds of prey used in demonstrations are starved beforehand to encourage them to perform.
Surely this is not cruel if they're just missing breakfast and then being set loose to fly about a bit and then collect a lump of juicy meat?
It'd work for me.
I suppose it's a grey area. If you've taken responsibility for an animal, starving it is usually considered cruel. Starving it to encourage it to perform would certainly be considered cruel. On the other hand, the reality of animal care is that we often moderate their food, either to control their behaviour or because they're due a medical procedure. And the reality their wild counterparts live in is one in which food is not guaranteed at any time. Captive birds at least have someone looking out for them, if they're being properly cared for. If it means starving them for days, I'd be against it. If it means, like you say, skipping a meal so that they can exhibit some wild behaviour once in a while, it's probably good for them.

EDIT I have no knowledge of this beyond what I've read in Scarg's post, and have never kept birds of prey, just as a disclaimer. We get a few rescue crows passing through our hands, but never accipitrids.

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
London zoo tried everything to separate the fighting tigers, everything? i bet they didn't try a rolled up newspaper tapped on the nose.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47206087
A folded up newspaper, make it as small as you can, is called a Millwall brick. It will separate most opposing hooligans from their senses for a few minutes. Don’t know about tigers though.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide