• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT181

Sally said:
It was painted by Eugene Burnand, it seems.

Well spotted. haven't read the full article yet, Seems what we have is an original photograph taken or commissioned by Burnand as a study for the painting. Photography would have started to becoming popular as a painting aid. Degas and Munch took pics among others.

Well. At least the current edition is slightly better than the p*** poor drugs special (which looked like it had been designed under popularist pressure from the publishers). I could have written that whole issue in a week or so - just by cobbling stuff together from the internet. Yeah - we already knew that Huxley used peyote etc etc. Dull and pointless. For the first time ever - that copy went in the bin. And normally I send my copies to a friend abroad.

In general - after recent improvements - my opinion is the magazine is slipping, badly, again. The quality of the writing just isn't what it was, once. I can get better and more interesting stuff online.

Themed issues don't work. Not unless you save up the best articles (on a given theme) over a much longer period of time.

Good articles work. Nothing else. You can't expect it to work if you stuff it with sub standard filler and make it thicker still by including pointless illustrations. Publishing deadlines don't work with something like this. Publish when the magazine is ready. Don't publish if the new issue isn't the best ever.

Stop publishing monthly and make the whole thing ad hoc. Publish when there is enough quality material. Strip it down. The magazine will never be any good if it attempts to be popularist. It will simply be a re cycling of the same tired themes. Which it is, currently.

BTW - I'm so sick of articles (in FT and elsewhere) which reference an item by quoting how many hits Google has on the subject. It's such a tired and lazy construction. Such a tired way of introducing a paragraph. We see that everywhere. It's lazy. Witness the, largely pointless, Diana conspiracy article in the current issue. Which tells us nothing we didn't already know. The article exists only to fill space. You get to the end and wonder why they bothered. FT might just as well have listed the urls. It had all been said, many times, before. Which is typical.

And, in general, the writing seems increasingly like a formular. The magazine is pointless if it isn't very well written. And it's pointless if the writing is styled in a lazy and popularist formular.

Or, as I have said before, abandon the magazine and do it all as a website. Get in some top writers and use modern web designers. Employ people who can actually write very well. Currently it all feels like weak student essays cobbled together via Google.

I doubt I'll buy another issue unless I'm very bored at an airport which doesn't provide internet access. There hasn't been anything in the magazine, lately, which I didn't already read somewhere else. And the writing style, design and advertising just annoys me. I feel like I'm reading something designed for radical 4th formers in hooded tops.

It's tired.

Seems what we have is an original photograph taken or commissioned by Burnand as a study for the painting
Not in my opinion. Shutter and film speeds weren't that good, then.

It's the same image. I'm 99.99999r% certain of that. The "alien" photograph is probably (and much more likely IMO) simply a b/w reproduction (photograph) of the painting. Which is in the collection of the Musée d'Orsay in Paris. As the article, which I haven't read, must surely have noted. Surely the writer would have checked and noted the connection. Surely the editor would have asked the writer if the image had been researched. Surely someone on the picture desk, or in the office, would have known of the painting, made the connection and included it in the article.

Now that would have been interesting. Instead we have further confusion - and someone else will probably, one day, quote the FT item as further evidence and support of some ludicrous notion.

Doesn't add much to a better understanding of anything and reinforces my notion that FT is just adding to the confusion.

A magazine which purports to provide serious material including photographs and other images should employ decent picture researchers. If they gratuitously print an image in some editorial context - then they should know the history of that image. And so should the writer.

Now, as I said, I haven't yet read the article - but if it doesn't make a clear reference to the original painting -- and does not research and expose that link -- then we really have to question the quality of the research which goes into making FT. If they didn't explore the connection - then FT is pointless as a serious publication and we might as well read Nexus.

Discussion of this image might have made for an interesing article.

im pondering this issue...its better than the "drugs" issue... just.. which seemed an efort just to attract some new readers, who would see the word DRUGS on the cover and buy it. this issue has quite a few pages that apear to be just there to keep the adverts apart. as Alb has pointed out. Its lost that jam packed feeling and now i have to serch it rather than dip in anywhere..

Sally said:
It was painted by Eugene Burnand, it seems.

Good find - I'll scan the FT image in and lay it over the top of the other but it does look to just be a grainy reproduction (to remove the evidence it is a painting.

Now I did a search around and for any more example of his photographs and found this site - it appears to be down (seems a great pity given the cache of the front page) but there is a copy in the Google cache:

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:www.jesusphotographs.org/Jesusface.html

Now the image isn't shown but it appears in their image cache here (I've also attached it here just for safe keeping):

http://images.google.com/images?q=eugenio+siragusa

Strikes me that might be another image lifted from somewhere else.

Emps

Who is Eris Andys (besides an anagram of Sandy Rise)?

Her last article about remote viewing and dolphins was slightly dippy too.

I read a book by her about screen writing some years back, but I can't find anything much else about her . Googling brings up, a few earlier Fortean Times contibutions and other people citing her stuff from UFO reality.

Just interested in what else she's done.

On the samples of text in the article:
I HAVE DIFFICULTY IN BELIEVING IN ETS OF SUPERIOR INTELLIGENCE WHO CAN'T UNLOCK CAPITALS.

The 'Spirits of the South Pacific' looks promising. I like the Forum pieces too.

Maybe if we want the articles, we should try knocking together our own contributions.

Bear in mind (and I'm sure I'm saying something obvious) that laying one image on the other (even when re sized) will not necessarily either prove or refute the idea that these are the same image.

Among other reasons - the photograph of the painting (both photographs actually) will almost certainly be subject to some lens distortions. Unless the images come from gallery made copies.

alb said:
Bear in mind (and I'm sure I'm saying something obvious) that laying one image on the other (even when re sized) will not necessarily either prove or refute the idea that these are the same image.

Among other reasons - the photograph of the painting (both photographs actually) will almost certainly be subject to some lens distortions. Unless the images come from gallery made copies.

Yep - also bear in mind slight differences in rotation angle (I scanned in at around 15 degrees to remove Moire) and scale will throw it out. That said with the painting set to 30% opacity it is a suprisingly good fit: you can move it around so each figure lies over the image below but not both at the same time - if anyone wants the PSD then contact me.

[edit: Such a good comparison that, as alb suggests, I suspect they are from a professional print just photocopied making it grainy and increasing the contrast making the difference in some features like the cloud in the top right and the tip of the nose of the guy on the right. I'd guess the came from a similar image]

I did a quick comparison with one below the other which satisfies me but I have an all in one printer, scanner, fax, photocopier and I was hoping to print off the Burnand image, photocopy it and scan it in to see if that would replicate the image but my printer is acting up (I might try again later but the attached image should satisfy most) - if I manage it I'll send it to the letters page.

Emps

FT 181 (late again)

Hi everyone

just another whninge that I can't comment on the latest issue again as my subscription copy hasn't turned up.
Is anyone else in the UK suffering from repeated delays in delivery?
It's Monday 09 th Feb and no sign of FT on my door mat in west wales.

Grrrr
RA

My copy is nearly always late, on two occassions it's never turned up at all so imagine my shock when mine actually arrived early last week.

Mine was on time and I've had it a week.

The only real glitch I've had since 1989 was during the move from JB Publishing to IFG...

I've just called the subs line and apparently they've run out of copies, but mine will be sent when they get some in stock. I've only been a subscriber for 6 years, I can understand that mine might not be a priority . . . :(

It's been fabulous apart from this month, usually it's here on the same day as everyone else's, although not quite early enough for me to beat you to it with a 'FT ***' thread . . .

I think I might cry, I love my FT.

I was having a tantrum in WHSmiths yesterday, because they had rearranged the bloody magazines again! Was FT with it's usual cohorts (Farmers Weekly)? No it was not. Was it with SFX? Bizarre? No. It was tucked away with crafts and stuff.:confused:

Anyway, that wasn't my point. While storming around the store I noticed a bloke that I nod to at work. He had a Fortean Times too. All of a sudden he seems so much more interesting!:D

Sorry, that's it really. Not very exciting at all.:(

The shop I buy mine from only had one (creased) copy left and they usually get loads in- is it extra popular this month or have they not printed so many?

Just bought mine... and they printed my letter! Yay, I think.

Then I read the letter. What the HELL happened to my sentence structure? Where did all those semicolons come from?

The sad realisation comes over me that I seem to have lost the power to communicate in English. Oh dear.

It's the letter about Mme. Blavatsky, in case you were wondering.

Mine arrived about half an hour ago. :)

To busy to check it out, yet.

Wood; Ahhhhhhhhhh that was one of my favourite letters this time around - the delayed letter from Rps Calverly might have got it but I lost the thread of that one as it sneaked over to the second column - clearly Family means more to some people than it does to me (surely not the mafia?) but I'm not well-versed in the literature on Templars/Masons so..............

On some of alb's points:

You can't expect it to work if you stuff it with sub standard filler and make it thicker still by including pointless illustrations.

I don't find myself agreeing with all of his other points but this did struck me whle reading the latest FT - it used to be dense with reports and information. I don't think the solution is to alter the deadline/publication date (if that was possible) as there is plenty of material out there (just look around these parts -you could possibly do an FT a week) is there a problem with not enough clippings. If so we could probably muster more of an effort from here.

Also what is the script with sumbitting electronic news articles? More often than not I don't have access to the print copy but the paper is available online what would I do about submitting that? I notice that Ananova is often creditted so.............

I'm so sick of articles (in FT and elsewhere) which reference an item by quoting how many hits Google has on the subject. It's such a tired and lazy construction.

I agree - it reminds me of the various things Private Eye monitor like the dreadful permutations on things like "***** is the new ********" but my main feeling was that, while I don't have any problem basing things on sundry webpages (I'm sure Fort would be doing the saem thing in this day and age) but URLs are big ugly things and are best left to a footnote so as not to disrupt the flow of the piece (It looks bad in the Konspiracy Korner). Also academia has come to terms with referencing URLs and I think their guidelines are a good idea like including the date the page was last viewed as things can change so easily.

As the article, which I haven't read, must surely have noted. Surely the writer would have checked and noted the connection. Surely the editor would have asked the writer if the image had been researched. Surely someone on the picture desk, or in the office, would have known of the painting, made the connection and included it in the article.

Now that would have been interesting. Instead we have further confusion - and someone else will probably, one day, quote the FT item as further evidence and support of some ludicrous notion.

Doesn't add much to a better understanding of anything and reinforces my notion that FT is just adding to the confusion.

I was also concerned about the complete lack of references or even further reading. What kind of materials is she quoting and publishing extracts from? Are they just what came in the package? How can we get our hand son similar material? Was this ad in the LA Times recent? I'm not overly interested in taking someone's word for it when there is clearly interesting material but it is all tantalisingly just out of reach. From what I've said above I'd be very interested to see the full range of 'photographs' he has made and I do think FT 'owe' us a proper inestigation into this person.

Emps

OK I have more of a fiddle. I'm not sure how that image was reproduced (some kind of photostat?) but I've tried replicating them.

From the top:

1. The original taken from that site.

2. The FT version

3. 1 printed off, photocopied (as a B&W doc with lightness towards the top of the scale) and then scanned.

4. 1 messed around with in PhotoShop (grayscale, 15% niose, Blur more and then curves adjusted into a slight S cutting off the top and bottom ends of the lightness - settings available on demand). I left it grayscale because giving it a purplish tint would be cheating slightly.

I largely did 4 because the photocopying didn't give me quite the graininess and contrast. I'm no PhotoShop expert but 4 looks pretty reasonable and if need be I could get a PS expert to replicate the image just using light filters and curves to get it pretty much as it is in the original.

So worth a letter to FT expresing some of the concerns I raise in my above post?

Emps

Re: The Eris Andys article.

AndroMan said:
Is it a joke?

It's marvellously paranoid, innit? Very, very odd. What it needs is a rigorous debunking (stunning work with the painting, by the way, Emps).

Um, about that big star "lost" letter. I had no idea whatsoever hat it was supposed to be about. What is this "Family"? Why is the name "Lorraine" significant?

Re: Re: The Eris Andys article.

Wood said:
It's marvellously paranoid, innit? Very, very odd. What it needs is a rigorous debunking (stunning work with the painting, by the way, Emps).
I've found the 'Northern Lights' article, by Eris E. Andys, from 'FT' N°. 81.

So I'll have to have another read at the articles she's written.

:)

Wood said:
Um, about that big star "lost" letter. I had no idea whatsoever hat it was supposed to be about. What is this "Family"? Why is the name "Lorraine" significant?

The supposed bloodline of Christ, I believe.

A possible alternative method by which that photograph could have been produced (IMO):

The painting was photographed in the gallery, quite likely off the gallery wall - using either a fast film - or, more likely IMO - a slow film pushed several stops. Then printed on high contrast paper.

HP5 pushed to 1600 or more and printed deliberately grainy on high contrast paper, used to be fashionable way for students to make documentary - like photographs.

alb said:
A possible alternative method by which that photograph could have been produced (IMO):

It hardly matters.

The fact is, the "photo" is virtually identical to the painting. It could have been taken from a book and photocopied.

It's simply a crude hoax, easily exposed and rather ridiculous.

I believe you have all ignored the most obvious explanation.

The artist was also provided with copies of the alien pictures - he thought they looked good, so copied them.

You lot just make things too complicated.

:rolleyes:

ok, so like everyone can tell, there was a hiatus in my reading of FT for a while. A while after going over to the John Brown/Viz stable, it just seemed not to be worth it- like watching an old mate with a bad habit thats alientating them from everyone around them.

I got a copy on spec a few months ago, and it seemed like FT had recovered. It always had the odd off (bi)month, but to be honest, i think 181 is probably the worst one I've seen.

Not be cancelling me sub just yet, though.

Re: The Eris Andys article.

AndroMan said:
Is it a joke?

I suppose (like the moon conspiracy article and, further back in time, the one by the young earth Creationist) it is supposed to challenge us by reading things we wouldn't usually read and/or mae us think rather than just pumping us with articles that reflect our own world view (or something).

It does seem to have got people thinking although possibly not as they intended ;)

Hopefully it will lead to an interesting investigation into such claims - we'll see.

Is she also the author of the dolphin telepathy article?

I'm sure plenty of people are going to write in over this but I'll send in my fiddlings (I'll need to get permission to reproduce the picture though shouldn't be a bi deal but I'd better get the ball moving) - anyone got any comments on a way I could improve the picture?

Emps

Emperor said:
Is she also the author of the dolphin telepathy article?

Yep the one in FT174 and guess what was said back then:

taras said:
Did anyone else find this the most bizarre and pointless article FT has published since that one about the Moon landings being hoaxed?

I mean, the premise is interesting, but it doesn't go anywhere, and assumes the reader is familiar with some kind of shadow-world of millionaire Americans who spend their time hunting for atlantis and killing whales with LSD... and the author also assumes things like whales have an oral history (?!), and 100 other bizarre premises that make no sense unless you're a complete nutter.

AndroMan said:
Yeah! But, it was funny bizarre enough to have me reading all the way through in growing disbelief. :D

It's quite refreshing to have something as apparently unhinged as the Eris Andys article, as long as it doesn't happen too often. ;)

Discussion starts:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=247847&highlight=andys#post247847

As long as it doesn't happen too often indeed ;)

Emps

Emperor said:
I suppose (like the moon conspiracy article and, further back in time, the one by the young earth Creationist) it is supposed to challenge us by reading things we wouldn't usually read and/or mae us think rather than just pumping us with articles that reflect our own world view (or something).

Which moon conspiracy article was that? The one that said that Neil Armstrong actually did land on the moon?

Wood said:
Which moon conspiracy article was that? The one that said that Neil Armstrong actually did land on the moon?

I'm not sure if it is a serious question ;) but I was refering to the article published in FT94 which went into detail about the moon landings being faked and (according to a more recent piece) it got one of the biggest FT mail bag resulting in one of the best counters to the conspiracy yet done (FT97).

So challenging us gets shakes us out of our complaceny and interesting things can happen ;)

Emps

Back