• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Holy Anorexia & Other Forms Of Mortification

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Holy disorders

Anorexia is seen as a modern illness. But is it really so different from the suffering that female saints throughout history have put themselves through, asks Hilary Mantel

Thursday March 4, 2004
The Guardian

We are living in a great era of saint-making. Under John Paul II an industrial revolution has overtaken the Vatican. Saints are fast-tracked to the top, and there are beatifications by the bucketload.
Gemma Galgani became a saint in 1940, in the reign of Pius XII. It was a rapid promotion by the standard of those days. After a miserable life, Galgani died of TB in 1903, when she was 25. Her life and writings, say Rudolph Bell and Cristina Mazzoni, authors of The Voices of Gemma Galgani, reveal her to be an old-fashioned saint - Italian, passive, repressed, yet given to displays of flamboyant suffering, to public and extreme fasting and self-denial and the exhibition of torn and bleeding flesh.

Her behaviour recalled the gruesome penitential practices of her medieval foremothers, and resembled that of the "hysterics" of her own day, whose case histories promoted the careers of Josef Breuer and Sigmund Freud. But we can't quite consign Galgani to history, to the dustbin of outmoded signs and symptoms, or the waste-tip of an age of faith. When we think of young adults in the west, driven by secular demons of unknown provenance to starve and purge themselves, and to pierce and slash their flesh, we wonder uneasily if she is our sister under the skin.

Rudolph Bell's 1985 book Holy Anorexia, on Italian saints, is especially rewarding for connoisseurs of the spiritually lurid. St Maria Maddalena dei Pazzi lay naked on thorns. Catherine of Siena drank pus from a cancerous sore. One confessor ordered Veronica Giuliani to kneel while a novice of the order kicked her in the mouth. Another ordered her to clean the walls and floor of her cell with her tongue; but even he thought it was going too far when she swallowed the spiders and their webs.

Scourges, chains and hair-shirts were the must-have accessories in these women's lives. St Margaret of Cortona bought herself a razor and was narrowly dissuaded from slicing through her nostrils and upper lip. St Angela of Foligno drank water contaminated by the putrefying flesh of a leper. And what St Francesca Romana did, I find I am not able to write down.

Starvation was a constant for these women. It melted their flesh away, so that the beating of their hearts could be seen behind the racks of their ribs. It made them one with the poor and destitute, and united them with the image of Christ on the cross. What does this holy anorexia mean? Can we find any imaginative connection with a woman such as Galgani? Like her medieval predecessors, she received the stigmata, the mark of Christ's wounds. Like them, she was beaten up by devils. Like them, she performed miracles of healing after her death.

To talk about female masochism seems reductive and unhelpful. You have to look the saints in the face; say how the facts of their lives revolt and frighten you, but when you have got over being satirical and atheistical, and saying how silly it all is, the only productive way is the one the psychologist Pierre Janet recommended, early in the 20th century: first, you must respect the beliefs that underlie the phenomena.

Galgani and her fellow female saints believed that suffering had an effect that was not limited in time or space. They could, just for a while, share the pain of crucifixion. Their suffering could be an expiation for the sins of others; it could be a restitution, a substitution. Margaret of Cortona said: "I want to die of starvation to satiate the poor."

Therese of Lisieux died of TB in 1897, just short of her 25th birthday. As she lay dying, bleeding from her intestines and unable to keep down water, she was tormented by the thought of banquets. Galgani, too, dreamed of food; would it be all right, she asked her confessor, to ask Jesus to take away her sense of taste? Permission was granted. She arranged with Jesus that she should begin to expiate, through her own suffering, all the sins committed by priests: after this bargain was struck, for the next 60 days she vomited whenever she tried to eat.

Within the church, pain can become productive, suffering can be put to work. But outside the church, suffering loses its meaning, degenerates into physical squalor. It has only the meaning we ascribe to it; but now we lack a context in which to understand the consent to suffering that the saints gave.

Anorexia nervosa is said to be a modern epidemic. If you skimmed the press in any one week it would be hard to see what is perceived as more threatening to society: the flabby, rolling mass of couch-potato kids, or their teenage sisters with thighs like gnawed chicken-bones, sunken cheeks and putrid breath. Are we threatened by flesh or its opposite? Though the temporarily thin find it easy to preach against the fat, we are much more interested in anorexia than in obesity. We all understand self-indulgence, but are afraid that self-denial might be beyond us.

Bell emphasises that what she experienced was "holy anorexia", and that it is different from anorexia nervosa. But what may strike a secular reader is how similar they are. Starvation, as Bell shows, was not an extension of convent practice, but a defiance of it. A fast is a controlled penitential practice. Most nuns fasted to keep the rule: the anorexics fasted to break it. Most nuns fasted to conform to their community: the starvation artists aimed to be extraordinary, exemplary.

The secular slimming diet is also conformist and self-limiting. Dieting is culturally approved, associative behaviour, almost ritualistic. Restaurants adapt their menus to the Dr Atkins faddists; in a thousand church halls every week, less fashionable dieters discuss their "points" and "sins", their little liberties and their permitted lapses. Diets are prescriptive, like convent fasts - so much of this, so little of that. The anorexic, holy or otherwise, makes her own laws. Every normal diet ends when the dieter's will fails, or the "target weight" is reached, at which point the dieter will celebrate, the deprived body will take its revenge, and the whole cycle will begin again - next Monday, or next Lent. Diets are meant to fail, fasts to end in a feast day.

Anorexia succeeds, and ends in death, more frequently than any other psychiatric disorder. Should we be comfortable regarding it as a psychiatric disorder? Is it not a social construct? If the fashion industry were responsible for modern anorexia, it would be true that we were dealing with a very different condition from holy anorexia. But the phenomenon of starving girls predates any kind of fashion industry. In The Disease of Virgins: Green Sickness, Chlorosis and the Problems of Puberty, Helen King has amassed a huge number of references to a disease entity that was recognised from classical times to the 1920s. Greensick virgins went about looking moony, and didn't menstruate, possibly because they didn't weigh enough; in all eras, food refusal was part of the condition.

Sometimes the starving saints broke their fasts, and were found at midnight raiding the convent larder. How did their communities accommodate this embarrassment? They simply said that, while Sister X snoozed celestially in her cell, the devil assumed her form and shape, tucked his tail under a habit, crept downstairs and ate all the pies.

The young women who survive anorexia do not like themselves. Their memoirs burn with self-hatred, expressed in terms that often seem anachronistic. In My Hungry Hell, Kate Chisholm says: "Pride is the besetting sin of the anorexic: pride in her self-denial, in her thin body, in her superiority."

Survivors are reluctant to admit that anorexia, which in the end leads to invalidity and death, is along the way a path of pleasure and power: it is the power that confers pleasure, however freakish and fragile the gratification may seem. When you are isolated, your back to the social wall, control over your own ingestion and excretion is all you have left; this is why professional torturers make sure to remove it.

Why do women still feel so hounded? The ideal body seems now attainable only by plastic surgery. The ideal woman has the earning powers of a chief executive, breasts like an inflatable doll, no hips at all and the tidy, hairless labia of an unviolated six-year-old. The world gets harder and harder. There's no pleasing it. No wonder some girls want out.

It is possible that there is a certain personality structure that has always been problematical for women, and which is as hard to live with today as it ever was - a type that is withdrawn, thoughtful, reserved, self-contained and judgmental, naturally more cerebral than emotional. Adolescence is difficult for such people; peer-pressure and hormonal disruption whips them into forced emotion. Suddenly, self-containment becomes difficult. Emotions become labile.

Why do some children cut themselves, stud themselves and arrange for bodily modifications that turn passers-by sick in the streets, while others merely dwindle quietly? Is it a class issue? Is it to do with educational level? The subject is complex and intractable. The cutters have chosen a form of display that even the great secular hysterics of the 19th century would have found unsubtle, while the starvers defy all the ingenuities of modern medicine; the bulimics borrow the tricks of both, and are perhaps the true heirs of those spider-swallowers.

Anorexia itself seems like mad behaviour, but I don't think it is madness. It is a way of shrinking back, of reserving, preserving the self, fighting free of sexual and emotional entanglements. It says, like Christ, noli me tangere. Touch me not and take yourself off. For a year or two, it may be a valid strategy; to be greensick, to be out of the game; to die just a little; to nourish the inner being while starving the outer being; to buy time. Most anorexics do recover, after all. Anorexia can be an accommodation, a strategy for survival.

In Holy Anorexia, Bell remarks how often, once recovered, notorious starvers became leaders of their communities, serene young mothers superior, who were noticeably wise and moderate in setting the rules for their own convents. Such career opportunities are not available these days. I do not think holy anorexia is very different from secular anorexia. I wish it were. It ought to be possible to live and thrive, without conforming, complying, giving in, but also without imitating a man, even Christ.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1161437,00.html

Interesting stuff Emp, I'm only too familiar with Gemma Galgani, as my devout catholic mother was very taken with her and named me after her. We were always told when we were in pain or distress, to "offer it up to the holy souls in Purgatory", as our suffering would get them parole, so to speak.
Another way of looking at the starvation and self flagellation aspects of these saints is that they were doing it to induce hallucinations. If you starve yourself, kneel down in a cold cell all night and probably give yourself septaceamia into the bargain, I've no doubt that most people would be attacked by demons as St Gemma was.

beakboo said:
Interesting stuff Emp, I'm only too familiar with Gemma Galgani, as my devout catholic mother was very taken with her and named me after her. We were always told when we were in pain or distress, to "offer it up to the holy souls in Purgatory", as our suffering would get them parole, so to speak.
Another way of looking at the starvation and self flagellation aspects of these saints is that they were doing it to induce hallucinations. If you starve yourself, kneel down in a cold cell all night and probably give yourself septaceamia into the bargain, I've no doubt that most people would be attacked by demons as St Gemma was.

Now that is some claim to fame ;)

And I agree - it may be presented in a different way but there are certainly close correspondance between shamanic pratcices and tsuch extreme ones. Compare things like the Rite of the Sun with The Flying Monk and the weights he hung from himself, etc.

The "Holy Anorexia" book can be found here:

PB:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0226042057/
http://www.amazon.co,/exec/obidos/ASIN/0226042057/

HB:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0226042049/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0226042049/

Emps

beakboo said:
...We were always told when we were in pain or distress, to "offer it up to the holy souls in Purgatory", as our suffering would get them parole, so to speak...
Very similar to a Buddhist idea that you bear your suffering on behalf of yourself and others so that it pays off other's karmic debt. You suffer in that way, in the hope that other's don't have to. Obviously, its good for your karma too, and puts to use suffering you have to bear anyway...

It seems to me that most of the people that have been sainted in the past would be treated for Religious Mania now. Maybe even schizophrenia. Maybe unbalanced people do have a window to something we can't understand? Who knows, but it does seem to me that the "crazies" were more readily listened to in the past than now. I must emphasise I am referring to Western Culture and not any other. Maybe that is why ther aren't any American saints? we have all ours in padded rooms and straightjackets. Or VERY heavily medicated.

Having heard a pretty unsanitised life of St Francis, I think he'd have done better being confined....

>>And what St Francesca Romana did, I find I am not able to write down.<<

I really have to know what St Francesca Romana did.

If its what I think it is, you don't want to know...

Here is a potted history of St Francesca Romana:

On Christmas Day, 1432, Francesca in ecstasy was in vision at a Mass celebrated by St Peter in the presence of the Madonna, and was received by him as an Oblate. St Birgitta describes the Madonna's centrality amidst the Disciples at Pentecost, Francesca, in her visions, crowns her with the Holy Spirit's flames and surrounds her with flaming Seraphim.

Amongst her many miracles of healing she gave speech to a deaf-mute girl, named Camilla Clarelli, by touching her tongue with her finger. Amongst her other miracles she healed men wounded in the constant skirmishes about Rome, healed children who were paralysed or raised from the dead children who had died in their sleep.

During a serious famine in 1402, Francesca gave all her grain to the poor then found it all miraculously restored and of the highest quality. A similar miracle happened with a barrel of wine that became empty, then full, when being distributed to the Roman poor. The convent of Tor de' Specchi still has the manger, made from a pagan sarcophagus, from which Francesca would give firewood to the poor.

1 March 1433, Francesca in a vision is taken by the Mother of God under her cloth-of-gold mantle and her daughters in Christ are received as Oblates of Mary.

Several time in ecstasy Francesca received the Holy Child from the Virgin.

28 June 1438 returning from St Paul's Basilica and visiting her vineyard she was caught up in ecstasy and knelt in a stream. But when she got up the Oblates noticed her clothes were perfectly dry.
During an ectasy the Divine Redeemer takes Francesca by the right hand.

While in meditation an angel brings Francesca's dead son, Evanglista, to her. Evanglista had died in the plague of 1411. Thereafter the angel stayed with Francesca as her visible companion. This angel accompanies Francesca in the frescoes of her torments by devils.

Many times when Francesca was recieving Communion a shining orb appeared above her.

(Now that's one for forteans everywhere...)

One day there was not enough bread for the Community and their Refectory was in great disrepair and poverty. Francesca took up the scraps, blessed them, and there were plenty to feed the fifteen who had remained as well as the bread basket being full.

She died in her surviving son's home, surrounded by her Oblates, having said Vespers, 9 March 1440. The townspeople of Rome so loved her the body was quickly taken to the Olivetan church of Santa Maria Nuova in the Forum and entombed with the greatest honour.

Santa Francesca Romana's Tor de' Specchi is very strictly cloistered, only opened to the public on two days of the year. 'We are not a museum', they sternly and rightly said. But their work of charity continues, their cloister filled not only with themselves but the elderly poor and poor young students with whom they share their wealth.

So there you have it - An ordinary woman with children who devoted her life to God. Very boring.

She'd have been awfully handy in the kitchen at a cheese and wine party though.

Very judgemental Marianina, she did a lot of good works and a few miracles....but they dont mention that particular lurid tale....

(Im not telling you!)

She'd have been awfully handy in the kitchen at a cheese and wine party though.

Based on certain aesthetes sucking up pus, you wouldn't want her making the fondue...

Marianina said:
Here is a potted history of St Francesca Romana:

SNIP

So there you have it - An ordinary woman with children who devoted her life to God. Very boring.

So why did the article say this?:

And what St Francesca Romana did, I find I am not able to write down.

Emps

Because, like many histories of the church, it's sanitized for your protection.

Bah!
I don't WANT to be protected.

I want to know what the thing was.

If you don't want to write it here, can you point me at a url? I've done a few searches and found not an awful lot more than was in the potted history above.

This is really really bugging me now.

the rose of lima and the lily of quito et al

This is some thing I LOOKED INTO SEVERAL YEARS AGO SO JUST DUG IT OUTOF THE FILES.
Pere Hardin, a Jesuit said "The neurotic man does not know how to bear suffering. When in pain he pities himself like a baby.The ecstatic sufffers and he not only accepts the pain but he dominates it."
Dorothy Soelle goes on to say, "The only choice we have is between the absurd cross of meaninglessness and the cross of Christ, the death we accept apathetically as a natural end and the death we suffer as a passion."
Simone Weil--also an anorexic, who died during WORLD WAR 11 wrote,"Such men( who had been tortured in concentration camps,if they had previously believed in the mercy of God would either believe it no longer or they would conceive of it quite differently than before."

Myself, as a nurse involved in palliative care, have my own questions, suffice to say that all is geared today to alleviate any distress or pain, when this is not managed as well as it might be, then I have seen some traumatic things. However ,A priest I knew who last hours were not managed as well as they might have been because appropirate help was not at hand, was heard talking to the angels. Is this really a bad thing? Or should he have been heavily sedated?

I'll proceed onto the next bit now,

Barbara

part two

St Therese of Liseaux, the "Little Flower" became a Carmelite nun at the age of 15. In nineteenth century France the life in Carmel was rigorous. She died nine years later, saying that the cold had bothered her more THAN her fatal illness, pulmonary tb. As she lay dying she said,"I can no longer suffer because all suffering is sweet."
St Bernadette of Lourdes--who experienced visions of the "Immaculate Conception"--and whose hometown inthe Pyrenees subsequently became a place of pilgrimage--also died of tb some years after becoming a nun.
Her nurses relate:"Terrible pain--a huge knee which one hardly knew hoW to move.Sometimes it took an hour to change her position. Her facial expression changed greatly. She became like a corpse.She, who was very energetic in her desire for suffering was completley vanquished by the pain. Even when sleeping the least movement drew cries of anguish from her, and these cries kept her companions in the infirmary from sleeping. She passed whole nights without sleep. Her poor body was just one big sore. There was no skin on her lower parts."
St Bernadette, by the way, in an "incorrupt"---she can be seen at Nevers in her glass coffin, like the sleeping beauty--quite beautiful! If anyone wants a photo I'll send them an attachment.

If they didn't become ill of their own accord many saints went to extreme lengths to suffer. Sister Margaret Mary Alocoque a seventeeth century French nun " bound her body with real cords and knots sinking into the flesh: her arms she bound with small chains which pulled off the flesh when they were removed."

She also slept on a bed of broken flower pots, burnt and mutilated her flesh, drank washing up water when ill and ate cheese to which she was allergic.To the modern mind all this seems at the best pointless and at the worst dangerous and unhiegenic.

St Francis of Assisi kissed a leper, St FRANCIS Borgia let a tubercular patient spit on him, while St Cuthburt's community on Lindisfarne tried to live without sleep and sat in icy ponds to pray.
St Douceline, a medieval Buguine(and uncloistered nun) wore a rough shirt of pigskin which grew into her flesh and encouraged a growth of maggots in the skin ulcers which developed.St Rita also had a growth of maggots on her skull.
St Catherine of Siena lived for many years on the consecrated host and the French ascetic, Benedict Joseph Labre, fasted "three times a week, bore heat and cold, swarmed with vermin,prayed always and never spoke. Much venerated, he died at the age of thirty five. The Cure d'Ars, a Frech priest, flogged himself so merilessly that the walls of his presbytery were encrusted with his blood and subsisted on A DIET of stale bread and mouldy potatoes--though he managed to live to a ripe old age of 92.

Even more horrendous in their penetitial lifstyles were the two South American saints, the Rose of Lima and the Lily of Quito.

WATCH THIS SPACE !

barbara green: Good stuff - what sources did you use?

I know I am waiting with baited breath for the next insatllment and I don't want to seem obssessed or anything but you wouldn't know what St Francesca Romana did would you? ;)

Emps

sources

Hi Emperor

I wrote this s tuff about fifteen years ago and my sources, I am ashamed to say, are a little bit sketchy. However, I find this scribbled on the back on the tippexed, typewritten mess---

The Control of Pain by Frederick Prescott
The Story of a Saint--(presumably Little Flower)
The Little way by Bernard Bro????
Bernadette of Lourdes---no author sited
Christ in St John of the Cross
Simone Weil
Mother Therese of the Heart of Jesus
Interior Castle Vol111(Teresa of Avila)
" " Vol 1

The Secret of Margaret Mary Alocoque
The Cure de Ars
The Rose and the Lily Frances Parkinson Keys

The ref to the priest I prefer to keep anonymous.
Medieval Womens Visionary Literature--Elizabeth Petroff
Life in the Middle Ages vols 1-4 Cambridge Anthologies.

I am sure I read a lot more--must have got the stuff somewhere and I am quite ashamed of myself being so lacksidaisical--though I might come across a better list hopefully somewhere at the bottom of the heap !

So far I haven't find out about What Francesca did but I will, by fare means or foul.--we won't be beat as we say in Yorkshire !

I'll write more later, its too much to do in one go !!!

Barbara

Hugo Cornwall said:
Very similar to a Buddhist idea that you bear your suffering on behalf of yourself and others so that it pays off other's karmic debt. You suffer in that way, in the hope that other's don't have to. Obviously, its good for your karma too, and puts to use suffering you have to bear anyway...

There are images of the Historical Buddha as a living skeleton during one of his exteme periods of self mortification before he became elightened. Basically, he tried the extreme practices of other "Holy men" but found that even being close to death in this state (and he is said to have come very close to dying) didn't reveal any great truths to him so wasn't the way to go. Doesn't stop others from trying since.

Another aspect of it as a religious practice is to experience and demonstrate an almost complete contempt for the physical or material self, to emphasis that the spiritual or non-material world is more important, even to death.

kirklees

continued after a short delay

To recap

In this modern age of enlightened and improving methods of pain relief for terminal illness, childbirth and surgery and widely available analegia for minor discomforts sold over the chemist counter, we clearly demonstrate our dislike of phyisical suffering. No one is likely to contest the fact that pain, for the majority of us, is an unwelcome visitor and that often the thought of pain is almost more distressing to contemplate than death itself.
Pain cannor be measured,seen or smelled, yet people's toleration pf the phenomenon varies widely.
Does pain serve any useful purpose? Yes--it prevents us from the affects of harmful stimuli, for instance, fire.
Reaction to pain is phisiopsychogenic. That is,though the perception of pain is a sensory sensation, it is the psycholigocal factors that determines our tolerance of it. It would be almost impossible for the modern physique to endure what were simply normal hardships for our ancestors who much have suffered from the most unimaginable torments----unrelieved toothache,frightful,life threatening childbirths, fulminating infections and barbaric,often useless surgery.
The stoical endurance of our foorbears is a thing of the past. Modern man expects to be well fed, well clothed, and cushioned ina comfortable environment. His every need is catered for somewhere by some guru, as commercial television well illustrates. There are products to make his cold vanish in a whiff, to make his house warm, to make him sexually desirable, and pills unlimited to vanquish every discomfort and anxiety.
It is not an overstatement to say thatw e are a pampered generation and it si not surprising that when pain invades our lives, we cannot cope. Pain and suffering, to modern man, is the enemy and must be exterminated. It has no place in our lives, we have no use for it.

So what do we make of the saints who embraced pain and suffering with relish ? Starting with Jesus on the cross, the idea of suffering in EXPIATION for the sins of mankind, is behind this to us, bizarre, philosophy . To "enjoy" suffering, in fact.Nasty illnesses and gruesome deathbeds were a welcome way of getting into God's "good graces" for those who felt the "call."

To read that Mother Mary Theresa of the Heart of Jesus spent her last days dying an agonizing death from cancer and refusing to remove her cumbersome religious habit during the hot summer days does not conjure up a pleasant picture.
It is hard to imagine any merit in such actions, or that God could possibly award extra brownie points for a repulsive, sweaty sickbed.
St Teresa of Avila, the sixteenth century foundress of the reformed Carmelite order,was eager to benefit mankind and her future salvation , by sacrificing her health and well being.

"I begged God that he would send me any illness he pleased....I did not think I was in the least afraid of being ill, for I was anxious to win eternal blessings, "she wrote in her autobiography.
She was rewarded with fainting fits, pains in the heart, continual fever,distaste for food and cataleptic fits from which she nearly died. However, after becoming completely paralyzed, she eventually recovered.

Even more extreme in their penetential were the two South American saints the Rose of Lima and the Lily of Quito. Their mind boggling are almost beyond belief.

to be continued.

It seems to me that most of the people that have been sainted in the past would be treated for Religious Mania now. Maybe even schizophrenia. Maybe unbalanced people do have a window to something we can't understand? Who knows, but it does seem to me that the "crazies" were more readily listened to in the past than now. I must emphasise I am referring to Western Culture and not any other. Maybe that is why ther aren't any American saints? we have all ours in padded rooms and straightjackets. Or VERY heavily medicated.

I was in the Cathedreal in Prague this summer, having a touristy nose around, when some young woman came in and started praying and kneeling on the floor. She was carried out by medics clutching a cross and obviously in a religious ecstacy. If this had happened centuries ago, no doubt she'd be a saint.

It was really quite sad - she had to be hauled out so as not to upset us tourists. I mean, what place does such religious experience have in a catherdral, I ask ya. :(

the rose of lima and the lily of quito

Sorry for the delay--have been very busy.

The Rose of Lima was born in seventeenth century Peru. From the age of six she lived on a diet of bread and water,bitter herbs and sheep's gall. Perhaps she suffered from what we know today as anorexia nervosa.
Out of twenty four hours she set aside twelve for prayer,ten for housework and two for sleeping!! Her baptismal name was Isabel but, after deciding to wear a c rown of rose thorns beneath her veil, she became known as Rose.
She slept --if that is the word--on a bed of broken crockery and fastened a lock of her hair to a nail on the wall to make sure she remained sitting upright during her "repose". During her waking hours she wore several vermin infested hair shirts
locked herself into chains and wore a spiked silver headband round her head. Her day consisted of visiting hospital wards, where she showed her love for humanity by embracing those with the most loathsome sores. On one occasions she drank a jug or coagulated blood from a patient after he had been bled. She died young in 1617, probabaly succumbing to some ghastly infection.
But all was not holy squalor with the Rose of Lima. She was also a nature mystic and it is reported
in her biography that" when at sunrise, she passed through the garden to go to her retreat, she called upon nature to praise with her teh Author of all things. Then the trees were seen to bow as she passed by, and clasp their leaves together, making a harmonious sound. the flowers swayed upon their stalks and opened their blossoms that they might scent the air; thus according to their manner praisng God. At the same time the birds began to sing
and came and perched upon the hands and shoulders of the Rose. The insects greeted her with a joyous murmur and all which had life and movement joined in the concert of praise she addressed to the Lord."

The Lily of Quito--Santa Maria de Jesus--did not lag behind the Rose of Lima in her grusome aspirations to sainthood. She scourged herself constantly from childhood and kept a skeleton in her room,where she spent most of her time suspended from a home made cross. She too went on a near starvation diet which probably accounted for the erotic hallucinatins--or visions--she experienced.
"The devil assualted her," writes a historian, "in the form of naked men and women who strove to trouble her most chaste body with abominable guestures, but they were driven back in confusion for their pains."

She offered her life to God in sacrifice for the people of Quito who were in danger and she died shortly afterwards--and the polulation was saved.

NEXT: ANNE CATHERINE EMMERICH AND CHRISTINA MIRABILIS

Barbara

Re: the rose of lima and the lily of quito

barbara green said:
Out of twenty four hours she set aside twelve for prayer,ten for housework and two for sleeping!!

10 hours a day!!! My house is lucky to get an hour a week - either she lived in a mansion or that was one really clean house. Although given her other habits, perhaps 'housework' meant keeping it as filthy as possible...

Fascinating stuff, keep 'em coming :)

holy housework

HI THERE--

Ten hours a day does seem a bit odd--especially in those days when they didn't have any vacuum cleaners or washers, and anyway, nobody was bothered anyway about cleaning as it was all too much trouble. Maybe just doing normal things took a long time, I mean, the weekly wash must have taken ages with no proper soap and everything really mucky--even if they did a weekly wash! (I was told my grandma took in washing and used to start at 4 am, boiling the tubs and possing, then scrubbing, rinsing and wringing out, and didn't finish till midnight). I can remember my mum baking ironingall day Tuesday,baking all days Wednesday, Thursday was cleaning day and you had to do the brasses too), I forget what happened on Friday Sat and Sun!!!!
Things did take a lot longer even forty years ago, nothing was "instant" we didn't have freezers or fridges, it took all morning to prepare a meal.
In Rose's time there would be fetching water from the pump or well, even more things we can't know about.....

I think it must be some mythology that grew round the Rose, its hard for us to imagine how people actually lived in thsoe days before running water and other basic amenities.I'll leave it to your imagination!

Will try and do more tomorrow on Chritina

Barbara

Something that puzzles me... who made the bondage gear for these 'holy fools'? and more puzzling... who paid for it?

Re: holy housework

barbara green said:
HI THERE--

Ten hours a day does seem a bit odd--especially in those days when they didn't have any vacuum cleaners or washers, and anyway, nobody was bothered anyway about cleaning as it was all too much trouble. Maybe just doing normal things took a long time, I mean, the weekly wash must have taken ages with no proper soap and everything really mucky--even if they did a weekly wash!

In those days, they were lucky to get a bath once or twice a year!

This talk of mortification brings to mind the teachings of Opus Dei. The barbed headband reminds me of the cilice that adherents use.
Go to http://www.odan.org to see an image of one.

christina mirabulis

Christina Mirabilis--Christina of St Trond

1150--1224

Born in Hasbania (?where's that!)

Christina died when young but when she was laid out and in church she stirred in her coffin and flew up to the rafters of the church.Of her experience Christina said "As soon as I died angels of God, the ministers of light, took my body and led me to a dark and terrible spot which was filled with the souls of men." THis was Purgatory, after which she visisted hell and then Heaven.She was given the choice in heaven of staying there or returning to earth to convert men from their sins. She chose the latter.

After her return to the living Christina "ran from the presence of men with wondrous horror anf fled into the deserts and into trees and perched on the turrets or steeples and on other lofty places. The people thought she ws possessed by demons
and finally, with great effort, captured her and bound her with iron chains."
Miraculously the chains fell off and she escaped again to the desert and perched in the trees as though she was a bird. Even when she needed food--
for even despite the great sensitivity of her body she could not live without food--so she fed herself from her own virginal breasts which were dripping sweet milk.
She fled to the city of Liege.
"Then Christina began to do those things for which she had been sent back by the lord. She crept into fiery ovens where bread was baking and was tormented by fires just like any of us mortals
so that her howls were terible to hear. Neverthless when she emerged no mutilation of any sort appeared in her body. When no oven was at hand she threw herself into roaring fires which she found in men's houses or else she thrust her hands and feet into fires and held them there so long that they would have been reduced to ashes had it not been a divine miracle. At other times she jumped into cauldrons of boiling water
and stood there immersed either up to the breast or waist,depending on the size of the cauldron,and poured
scalding water on those parts of her body which were untouched by the water.

Often in cold weather she would remain for a long time while under beneath
the waters of the Meuse;indeed she often stayed there for six or more days at a time.

Her body was so subtle and light that she walked on dizzy heights and,like a sparrow, hung suspended from the topmost branches of the loftiest trees........and when she prayed her limbs were gathered together in a ball as if they were hot wax and all that could be perceived of her was a round ball.

It was said she could not stand the stench of human bodies.

She later became intimate with the nuns of St Catherines.
Sometimes when she was sitting with them she would speak of Christ and suddenly and unexpectedly she would be ravished in spirit and her body wouild roll and whirl around like a hoop.She would sing an incomprehensible harmony, which resounded from between the breast and the throat.

Afterwards when she was fully restored to herself she knew what had happened from the tales of the others and she fled from shame and embarrassment or if anyone forcibly detained her she languished with a great sorrow and thought herself stupid or foolish.

Christina returned for her last years to the nuns of St Catherine. When she died one o the nuns, BEATRICE,fell upon her and begged he to come back to life. Christina returned to life to bless them again, after which she finally died.

FROM THE ACCOUNT BY THOMAS DE CANTIMPRE, TRANSLATED BY MARGOT KING,
RECOUNTED IN MEDIEVAL WOMEN'S VISIONARY LITERATURE BY eLIZABETH ALVIDA PETROFF

Unholy Anorexics

Its interesting to see the other side of the coin on such religious matters as although they often the opposite ends of the philosophical spectrum (good vs evil) the actual reality is often petty similar. In this case the flipside to the holy anorexics are possessed young women (female demoniacs) although in some cases opinion is divided on whether people are possessed by the Holy Spirit or by devils.

See the Catholic Encyclopedia for a definition of demoniac:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04711a.htm

I stumbled across this paper:

Possessed by the Spirit: Devout Women, Demoniacs, and the Apostolic Life in the Thirteenth Century
Barbara Newman
Speculum, Vol. 73, No. 3. (Jul., 1998), pp. 733-770.

which does a good job of comparing and contrasting the two but I can't seem to find it online (other than from the JSTOR if you have access) but I did find a similar paper:

Nancy Caciola, "Mystics, Demoniacs, and the Physiology of Spirit Possession in Medieval Europe", Comparative Studies in Society and History 42 (2000) 268-306
http://www.nd.edu/~dharley/witchcraft/texts/Caciola-possession.pdf

And there are other papers linked to from here:
http://www.nd.edu/~dharley/witchcraft/possession.html

and also this one cropped up although it is less relevant to the case in hand:

Saints and the Demoniacs: Exorcistic Rites in Medieval Europe (11th - 13th Century)
Marek Tamm
Folklore. 23. 7 - 24
http://haldjas.folklore.ee/folklore/vol23/excorcism.pdf

Emps

Back