• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Small Round Ball Of Rock

Alfred

Fresh Blood
IMG_20240105_205222.jpg

I found this many years ago, problem is what is it how did it form?

In my early years i drove from coast to coast in th UK - as many did in the 90s, not a care in the world.

This i have had for at least 28 years now.

Possible pickup was either North Wales, Cornwall or Yorkshire coast.

I'm sorry no more information @Sharon Hill

This is what i was trying to send.

View attachment 73544

In my early years i drove from coast to coast in th UK - as many did in the 90s, not a care in the world.

It looks like a granite cannon ball.
Granite was used before lead became widely available.

Or... it could have formed that way naturally.

It looks like a granite cannon ball.
Granite was used before lead became widely available.

Or... it could have formed that way naturally.
I was thinking musket ball...they were made out of stones as well
1706900586479.png

Before lead musket balls caught on people actually used stones. Yep, round stones. Which is as dumb as you might expect.

The stone as a projectile when fired from a barrel by gunpowder does not react rather well. It is not as dense as lead, which means it can not pierce armor as well as lead can. Lower the weight, lower the kinetic energy, which means lower the piercing power.

It often just shattered on impact. Which hurts yes, but piercing the opponent is the desired action. Hence why lead became a predominant material to make musket balls. It was cheap, easy to mold, and highly durable.

Indeed, I have two lead musketballs that I picked up from Shanklin beach, smaller than in the photo above, and they're the first thing that sprung to mind. It looks like a cannonball or ammunition for a bombard.

Last edited:
Indeed, I have two lead musketballs that I picked up from Shanklin beach, smaller than the in photo above, and they're the first thing that sprung to mind. It looks like a cannonball or ammunition for a bombard.
I wonder if it was some kind of medieval or ancient birdshot?

View attachment 73544

Looks like one of the small ships railing canon balls like they have found on Oak Island.

To me, it looks like it has one or possibly two (now faint) lines circling the right-hand side.

Many thanks to your replys here. I appeciate it.
In the bad times (recenltly of my Cats passing 12 months) His ashes and this ball will beside me in bed, just for a finer day after if you know what i mean ?

I know precisely what you mean! :twothumbs:

Back