• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alan Moore

One of the reasons i'm enjoying it is because it's giving me some great ideas for google searches. Full of interesting stuff. Great well needed escapism. It's the first novel i've read by him. Read a ton of his comic books though . Interesting guy who seems to share a similar world view as myself.
Hopefully we will have some sunshine soon so i can crack on and get through some more books. It's reading season. :)

It's the first novel i've read by him.

Well, you've read half of them then :)

"Voice of the Fire" is very, very good. Incredible book. You'll feel at home in some ways after reading "Jerusalem". Definitely echos that bounce between the two.

It' lined up on my e-reader. It'll probably be my next fiction read.I'm about to start a local history book on victorian prostitution next which should fit right in. read in tandom.
I'd love to see him do a google map/streets tour of Northampton. Psychogeography for the lazy. lol. :)

I can think of at least one person here who this will appeal to....!

Alan Moore And Coil-Themed Night For Brighton Festival

"....An undoubted highlight for those of a more counter-cultural bent will be the six events organised by author, musician and BBC Radio presenter Dr David Bramwell under the banner of The Odditorium, after the long-running podcast and recent acclaimed book of the same name. Alternating between the Spiegeltent and the Bosco Tent, the Odditorium events include talks on the unsung female trailblazers of modern music, a celebration of the work of Coil, Psychic TV and Current 93, and a return to Brighton by Watchmen, V For Vendetta and Jerusalem author Alan Moore, who dazzled at last year's flagship Odditorium event, Adventures On The Edge of Culture..."

http://thequietus.com/articles/22272-alan-moore-coil-brighton-festival

"....An undoubted highlight for those of a more counter-cultural bent will be the six events organised by author, musician and BBC Radio presenter Dr David Bramwell under the banner of The Odditorium, after the long-running podcast and recent acclaimed book of the same name. Alternating between the Spiegeltent and the Bosco Tent, the Odditorium events include talks on the unsung female trailblazers of modern music, a celebration of the work of Coil, Psychic TV and Current 93, and a return to Brighton by Watchmen, V For Vendetta and Jerusalem author Alan Moore, who dazzled at last year's flagship Odditorium event, Adventures On The Edge of Culture..."

Looks wonderful. Funnily enough my friend Whatsapped me the link today.

I wonder if he'll let slip if the eagerly-awaited Bumper Book of Magic is any closer to publication... perhaps anybody from this board should ask in they go to the event.

Been a long wait hasn't it mate...and still no closer it seems -

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/the-moon-and-serpent-bumper-book-of-magic/578

Steve Moore will never see it published sadly.

Finished "Jerusalem" last night. What to say? Brilliant, terrible, thrilling, boring, ecstatic, mundane...massive. Impossible to judge really. Epic. Did I enjoy it? Some of it, very much. Some of the writing is utterly incredible, some of it reads like a particularly pretentious sixth-former. When it's good it is beyond criticism, it goes some place else. When it is less than good...it's a shock - I've never experienced this from Moore before.

I doubt many will ever read it. Glad I did.

Dunno if this has been posted before but I found it interesting, not a huge fan of Moore and I discovered this by accident, I'd linked a friend to the Sinister Ducks song and yoochube went straight on to this while I was cleaning the kitchen.

References Lovecraft earlier on, and Anonymous later on, the connection I suppose being the semi-permeable membrane between culture and art:

I'd love to get to that but Leeds-Brighton on a Wednesday night is sadly undoable!

A genuine question if you should care to answer- why's that?

Maybe it's more accurate to say I'm not a huge fan of his graphic novel output rather than Moore himself, at least the stuff I'd read upto the mid-90s, had a friend back then who was a Moore fanboy so tended to read stuff I wouldn't have bought. Found a lot of it a bit too clever for it's own good, though I'll concede he has occassional moments of genius.

Sadly the few bits of V for Vendetta I loved didn't make it into the movie, namely the cyanide laced communion wafer and incinerating the doll collection in stripey pyjamas.

He comes across well in that video, not up himself the way occultists have a tendency to get.

He comes across well in that video, not up himself the way occultists have a tendency to get.

Oh I don't think you can get an more down to earth than Mr. Moore without burying yourself!

Found a lot of it a bit too clever for it's own good...

Huh - fair enough. Have you read "From Hell"? If not, I think you'd like it :)

Can't remember if it's been mentioned here, but By Our Selves, Andrew Kotting's 2015 English mysticism film about John Clare has some nice bits with Moore. It's on disc, not sure about anywhere else.

That's all right! Kotting's film Galavant is a good, lightly mystical doc from the 90s too. In it they said his daughter, who has a rare condition, would not have many years to live, so it's nice to see she's in By Our Selves too.

That's all right! Kotting's film Galavant is a good, lightly mystical doc from the 90s too. In it they said his daughter, who has a rare condition, would not have many years to live, so it's nice to see she's in By Our Selves too.

Looking forward to checking his stuff out- thank you.

Inside Alan Moore's Head
In this 8 part web series Alan Moore, author of graphic novels like "Watchmen", "V for Vendetta" and "From Hell", draws us into his world-view. We follow one of the most influential graphic artists into a universe of occultism, mysticism and anarchy. Between dystopian visions and far-sighted social analysis, Moore explains how his comics are a swan song to our era.

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/RC-014342/inside-alan-moore-s-head/

Moore quits the business

One of the most significant fiction writers in English is retiring, to the greatest fanfare of his singular and titanically influential career. Alan Moore has promised that the (extremely late) final issue of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen will be his last comic, and his final contribution to an art form he utterly transformed, sometimes to his chagrin.

Retire? I thought creative people never retired!

Whoever it is on the forum who kills off people by googling them, don't google Alan Moore.
Or Michael Moorcock.

He's been saying this for years, that the final LoEG will be his last comic.

I'm still waiting for the Bumper Book of Magic that was originally due out in 2013.

Has there been any kind of update on the Bumper Book of Magic?

Back