• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Celtic Stone Heads

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I couldn't find anything on it here and only vague mentions elsewhere so I ha a look around and found things like:

Stony Gaze: Investigating Celtic and Other Stone Heads. (book review)
Folklore, April, 2002, by David Clarke

By John Billingsley. Freshfields, Chieveley, Berks: Capall Bann Publishing, 1998. 205 pp. 38 B/W illus. 10.95 [pounds sterling]. ISBN 1-8983-0771-7

It is more than a quarter of a century since Bradford Museum curator, Sidney Jackson, published a booklet listing more than sixty mysterious and crudely carved stone human heads he had recorded in the West Riding of Yorkshire.

Since that time, hundreds, if not thousands, of similar carvings have been discovered not only in Yorkshire, but in the Peak District and other areas of the old Celtic kingdom of Brigantia. Jackson himself had recorded more than seven hundred examples before his sudden death in 1974, and a parallel survey initiated by the Manchester University Museum has noted almost one thousand carvings in the north-west which follow a "Celtic tradition" of some antiquity. Although few of these sculptures can be dated accurately, they became known in the popular literature as "Celtic heads" as a result of their similarity to other Celtic artefacts from Ireland and continental Europe described by Anne Ross in her study published in 1967.

However, as John Billingsley demonstrates in this fascinating book, a large number of heads claimed to be "Celtic" were probably carved in the last three centuries, particularly during the English Revolution when the symbol underwent a major revival in the popular consciousness and folk art. For the first time, the carved heads are discussed as examples of an ageless and evolving tradition, rather than as objects created as part of the rites associated with a pagan Celtic cult. The author shows how the importance of the head as a sacred symbol originated in archaic beliefs identifying the cranium as the seat of the soul and the channel for communication with the world of spirits, hence their use as a protection against evil in many contexts. Rather than being exclusively a "Celtic" idea, this category of belief can be identified across the globe in cultures widely separated by time and space. The use of the head as a multifaceted focus of belief and ritual can be traced in the archaeological record of Europe and the British Isles from the earliest period. It appears these beliefs became part of an evolving folk tradition rather than a religious cult, and were enthusiastically embraced by the "Celtic" tribes who used the head as a sacred symbol, as the cross was adopted by Christianity.

Belief about the evil-averting and luck-bringing power of the severed human head remained so strong and deep-seated that, long after the end of Celtic Britain, it survived as an enduring symbol in folklore and tradition almost within living memory. This book is the first accessible and the most complete investigation of the head symbol yet published. It places these enigmatic artefacts firmly in a context which extends from the earliest prehistoric evidence to the folk traditions of modern Britain.

David Clarke, National Centre for English Cultural Tradition, University of Sheffield, UK
COPYRIGHT 2002 Folklore Society
COPYRIGHT 2002 Gale Group

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m2386/1_113/86063335/p1/article.jhtml

Anyone got any other thoughts, ideas, resources. etc.?

Emps

I almost bought that very book a few weeks back in a 'New Age' shop in Haworth! I plumped for a local folklore book instead tho':p

John Billingsley (editor of Northern Earth) also has an article concerning the heads here;-

http://www.northernearth.co.uk/index2.htm
(Click on the 5th article down on the left column)

Originally deriving from Anne Ross' masterly Pagan Celtic Britain (1967), the 'Celtic head' is characterised as a crude and stylised approximation of the human head, with certain typical features such as a pear-shaped face and lentoid eyes. Its frequency in Celtic culture led Ross to describe its religious significance as constituting a cult of the human head. However, while most archaeologists agree in general about the cultic significance of the head in Celtic religion, they also feel that the case has perhaps been overstated admittedly with the benefit of enquiry that simply was not available when Ross was writing her masterwork. I myself can see no doubt about the magical and mediatory role of the human head and representations of it in Celtic society, but I would suggest that the 'Celtic head' that we hear of today, as an object of folk-religious art, hardly exists. In all, the term 'Celtic head' seems to owe its appeal more to modem romantic notions of the Celts than to any identification of an artefact with Celtic period or culture.

The situation is, in other words, that the majority of 'Celtic heads' found in England are quite clearly not Celtic at all! Moreover, the absence of any style that could plausibly be advanced as typically Celtic further renders the term 'Celtic head' unserviceable at best and misleading at worst. There can be no denying the religious significance of the severed human head in Celtic culture, nor that the head was frequently, for deliberate symbolic purposes, carved in a highly fundamental manner so as not to resemble any human of this world - yet to describe any and every such carving as Celtic is to misunderstand the power of the head motif in cultures other than the Celts, to decry the vitality of post mediaeval folk culture in England, and to miss the very important question of why the human head, treated in a most basic and symbolic way, has maintained its important role in folk perception and resurfaced so strongly in the 17th century.

I remember reading about Sidney Jacksons finds several years ago. Are the heads in the Cartwright Hall museum?

A reputed 'Celtic Head' was discovered in the neighbouring city of Leeds. It now resides in Leeds City Museum.

Some stuff about these heads and an example or two in the museum at Skipton;
my missus says they might all be recent (i.e. made in the last three hundred years) but that is interesting in itself.

Another thing you get in the Dales is stone corbelstones in the roof gable end, called 'kneelers';

these sometimes have heads carved into them, looking very celtic to my eyes.

I love this place and these people!

(er... that means YOU!)

not heard of this book, serious work on the "celtic" head problem before this thread and it's right up my street with my own green man stuff.....

just bought a copy of the billingsley and am a happy bunny :)

Kath

stonedoggy said:
I love this place and these people!

(er... that means YOU!)

Kath

Would that be in a platonic way... or an elastic-snapping, slippy, slidey, panty-moistening, crotch-bulging, hot-panting, vein-throbbing, lubricant-assisted piston-action sort of way?

Just wondered :p :D

taras said:
Is this anything to do with the Hexham heads?

Could well be Taras. They were Celtic looking too weren't they?

I seem to remember the poltergeist stories and a 'curse' associated with them most though...:eek!!!!:

I've got a stone head a bit like that (somewhere in) my garden. I was given it by an old woman who's garden I landscaped in north Leeds.

The 'Haunted' Hexham Heads were found in a garden in the 70's IIRC and they were later found to have been made by the previous occupant of the house for his kids in the 50's. Although they were very similar to Celtic heads and confused some archaeologists to begin with.

(I think the chap made them out of concrete (?) )

edit- ah well, too slow on posting :goof: sorry!

I know of at least two carved stone heads in the Keighley area of Yorkshire. There's one above the porch of the Sun Inn, Haworth, which is said by the locals to ward off the spirit of a workman killed on the site. I think the porch is fairly modern, though.

More interestingly, in the yard of the former BMS Mills at Ingrow there's a head built into a wall. Directly above the yard is a pretty steep slope with mill cottages on it, and the wall was built to keep the slope they're built on falling into the yard, so it's pretty substantial, and is contemporary with the construction of the main mill buildings. The head's quite near the top and is very well camouflaged, and I noticed it one day by accident. It's too high up to see in any detail, but I have wondered if the workmen found it when digging foundations for the wall and decided to incorporate it. There are no windows or doors in the wall. It looks like they just used it as any other brick.

Also, a few years ago at the UnConvention, the folklorist Andy Roberts gave a talk on stone heads, many of which were in Yorkshire, and 'Screaming skulls'. It was fascinating. I don't have his email to hand, but I'm sure it's out there in cyberspace!

Forgot to mention that Andy Roberts mentioned a head being found in a garden of a large house in Bingley, Yorkshire. Poltergeist activity started to occur about the same time it was found. I think it may even have found its way into a museum. IIRC, an elderly lady came forward some time later to say that the head had been made for her as a toy (who carves a large stone head as a children's toy??:rolleyes:) when she lived in the house as a girl. The story did have distinct similarities to the Hexam Heads case.

Aha! The esteemed Mr. Zygmunt!

Many thanks for that local info... I'll go see it for meself asap.

('Scuse my ingnorance - where's Ingrow?):)

*doffs cap*

Hello David,

It's about 2 miles outside Keighley on the way to Haworth. Right opposite Ingrow Station (on the steam railway), there's the Great Northern pub... the road into the mill yard is right behind it. In the yard itself is the old waterwheel housing (if it hasn't been demolished :mad: ), which is right next to the wall I'm on about. Can't recall the exact location of the head, but it's definately there!

Hmmm... sounds intriguing!

It's on me list now!:)

I've just recalled that there's meant to be a head on the chimney of a derelict mill just outside Keighley town centre. If you come out of the BR station, turn left and go up East Parade, eventually you'll see a Morrisons on your right and a pub on your left next to Fitness First gym. Take a left there, and there's a bridge at the end of the road turning right over the beck. There's the chimney. I've had a cursory look, but seen no heads!

I dunno, turn my back for an instant the tread fills up with all sorts of goodies.... I feel another good day coming on.

As a parallel to the heads (whatever and whenever they originate) being incorporated into later buildings, sheila-na-gigs are often found sideways on at corners or openings into buildings and a suggestion is that they've been put in rather than being made specially. I have a couple of refs I can dig out?

As for you Mr Raven! sir! I'd go for the latter on a good day but having thanked you publically on another thread for letting me have pic of your Happy Tree, and then being too embarrased to go back and edit an in explanation .... I think I'll just go scarlet and make huffing noises :)

Kath

And if anyone goes to check out these heads take a camera - we want to see some pics ;)

Emps

In his UnConvention talk, I think Andy Roberts had the theory that Stone heads over windows and doors had distinct similarities to 'screaming skulls'... in the houses where the skulls are kept, they tend to be over doorways or windows. A hangover from a pre-christian head cult? IIRC the Celts used to revere heads of vanquished enemies. Another thing is that some of the skulls have relatively recent legends attached to them. One of them (I think in Bettiscombe Manor) was meant to be the head of a 17th Century (?) West Indian slave, but modern testing has 'proven' that it's far, far older.

My copy of Billingsley arrived to day.... happy happy joy joy!

Kath

Head Locations

Dont know if this is the place to post em. but

THE CRASTER ARMS pub in Beadnell North-East Northumberland has a stone head projecting from below a walled up window on the first floor. Appartently the building is 16th C but much altered in the 18th C ( I seem to remember being told the head was added then or later)

I also seem to remember it looked like it was wearing a crown?

A picture of the pub can be seen here http://www.castleuk.net/castle_lists_north/75/beadnelltowerpicture.htm

(the head is visible above the small window above the conservatory)

Mr P

In the Forest Of Fontainbleu in France there's supposed to be an enormous stone carving of a head called something like the "mater" or "muter" or something.... anybody know anything. I couldn't find much on Google, but I'm not sure of the name...:rolleyes:

I've got a photo of the stone face built into the garden Wall at Entwistle New Hall, Lancashire. As I have said before I don't think this is very old. It was stolen in the 1960s and returned, the then owner claimed his daughter was the artist. The Hall dates back to about 1680 - the Old Hall (near by) goes back to the Crusades.
There are a lot of older carved stones in the area, a few old lintles with dates from around 1600.

I thought you might enjoy this picture as well, it is one of the faces on the tower of St Anne's, Turton. The Church was rebuilt in 1840 but the carving is surprisingly brutal for the Victorians.

good update AND a photo... happy happy!

does it continue on adjacent stones?

There's a modern face and stupa down by the kelvin river in glasgow.

Kath

Back