• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
El Conde

Chilean and one of the weirdest vampire films you’ll find.

It’s an ultra black allegorical depiction of Pinochet as a vampire now aged around 250. Covers him from the French Revolution when he was part of the revolutionary guard. He captures Marie Antoinette’s head at her guillotining & licks the blade.

He’s now tired & wants to die & his various offspring gather like vultures to try to trace all the funds he’s sucked vampire-like out of the country. A young accountant who’s also a nun is employed to track the numerous bank accounts etc. She has her own agenda.

His right-hand man, also a vampire, is still around to do his bidding. Pinochet’s favourite sustenance is heart’s, particularly young women’s, which he mashes in a liquidiser. His wife is bitter that he never bit & made her a vampire.

Filmed in monochrome for added gloominess. It’s quite slow & dialogue heavy with a few surprises along the way. Maggie Thatcher appears towards the end.

Not being Chilean I probably missed some of the references but it’s well-made, good cast/performances & sets. There’s a woman narrator who’s British, the rest is Spanish with subtitles.

El Conde

Chilean and one of the weirdest vampire films you’ll find.

It’s an ultra black allegorical depiction of Pinochet as a vampire now aged around 250. Covers him from the French Revolution when he was part of the revolutionary guard. He captures Marie Antoinette’s head at her guillotining & licks the blade.

He’s now tired & wants to die & his various offspring gather like vultures to try to trace all the funds he’s sucked vampire-like out of the country. A young accountant who’s also a nun is employed to track the numerous bank accounts etc. She has her own agenda.

His right-hand man, also a vampire, is still around to do his bidding. Pinochet’s favourite sustenance is heart’s, particularly young women’s, which he mashes in a liquidiser. His wife is bitter that he never bit & made her a vampire.

Filmed in monochrome for added gloominess. It’s quite slow & dialogue heavy with a few surprises along the way. Maggie Thatcher appears towards the end.

Not being Chilean I probably missed some of the references but it’s well-made, good cast/performances & sets. There’s a woman narrator who’s British, the rest is Spanish with subtitles.

The narrator is Maggie!

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
In cinemas 19 January (click link for venues)
Back in cinemas to celebrate its 50th anniversary, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser is a film of great poetic and philosophical resonance. Based on the remarkable true story of the foundling Kaspar Hauser, it is an eloquent, deeply moving account of a grown man, barely able to walk or talk, who appears suddenly in the town square of Nuremberg, Germany, in 1828, clutching a letter which claims that his name is Kaspar. His origins are shrouded in mystery, but it seems that he has been imprisoned without human contact since childhood. He learns to speak, and some attempt is made to integrate him into society. He is puzzled over and examined by a series of learned minds, some sympathetic, some hostile, yet he seems to defy analysis. Featuring a mesmerising performance by non-actor Bruno S. in the lead role, the film picked up three awards at the Cannes Film Festival. Other films have been made about Kaspar Hauser, but Werner Herzog’s affecting, sensitive interpretation is surely the best of them.
https://www.bfi.org.uk/bfi-film-releases/enigma-kaspar-hauser

I've just seen All of us Strangers

A ghost story with a nice twist (we know that all is not what it seems but the resolution makes you realise it goes even deeper)

I recommend (as long as you're ok with a couple of relatively graphic gay sex scenes)

I've just seen All of us Strangers

A ghost story with a nice twist (we know that all is not what it seems but the resolution makes you realise it goes even deeper)

I recommend (as long as you're ok with a couple of relatively graphic gay sex scenes)

I'm going to see it on Sunday. Should I steel myself for any disturbing straight sex scenes?

This is described as a comedy by some people. Dave Made A Maze is fairly weird. It's about some bloke who builds a childlike den on his living room floor out of cardboard that's essentially the tardis from Dr Who. It's a vast series of tunnels once you go inside it ... and there's red paper confetti like gore scenes ..

This is described as a comedy by some people. Dave Made A Maze is fairly weird. It's about some bloke who builds a childlike den on his living room floor out of cardboard that's essentially the tardis from Dr Who. It's a vast series of tunnels once you go inside it ... and there's red paper confetti like gore scenes ..

I've seen it twice. I'm not sure what I'd describe it as but I enjoyed it. It's definitely not likely to be to everyone's tastes.

Just ordered it on Blu-Ray. Thanks!

Fantastic little film that.

Fantastic little film that.
I wanted to like it a lot more than I did like it. The idea's brilliant, I liked 'Dave' when we finally get to meet him, the ending's way more extravagant than I was expecting, the set designs were great ...... I just didn't like the characters that much who went into Dave's carboard kingdom. They came across to me as cool New York hipster film student types which I expect they were in real life so I wasn't able to warm to them. If you/I/we can get over that, it was Terry Gilliam level good.

YouTube's "movie summary" channels do a lot of summaries of sci-fi, horror, and monster movies.

Yesterday I watched a summary of a movie where Stonehenge was going to end the world by sending energy pulses along ley lines, causing the Pyramids to explode and giant volcanoes to burst out of Mayan ruins. Humanity was going to nuke Stonehenge to stop Earth's destruction, our villain wanted to save his chosen people by hiding in an underground pyramid, but our plucky hero saved the day.

Stonehenge Apocalypse
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1488598/

YouTube's "movie summary" channels do a lot of summaries of sci-fi, horror, and monster movies.

Yesterday I watched a summary of a movie where Stonehenge was going to end the world by sending energy pulses along ley lines, causing the Pyramids to explode and giant volcanoes to burst out of Mayan ruins. Humanity was going to nuke Stonehenge to stop Earth's destruction, our villain wanted to save his chosen people by hiding in an underground pyramid, but our plucky hero saved the day.

Stonehenge Apocalypse
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1488598/
A contender for Worst Movie Ever for me..

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/worst-movie-ever.13648/page-88#post-2134768

A summary:

It was like the writers had made a list of things to include then picked them out of a hat-

Mysterious unexplained planet threatening weirdness - check
Ancient monuments - check
Maverick scientist everyone thinks is crazy at first - check
Gung ho US military - check
Weird cult discovers hidden secret - check
Chase around a bit - check
Maverick saves day by skin of neck - check

Needed a whole tin of this-
1707257231092.png

A contender for Worst Movie Ever for me..

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/worst-movie-ever.13648/page-88#post-2134768

A summary:

It was like the writers had made a list of things to include then picked them out of a hat-

Mysterious unexplained planet threatening weirdness - check
Ancient monuments - check
Maverick scientist everyone thinks is crazy at first - check
Gung ho US military - check
Weird cult discovers hidden secret - check
Chase around a bit - check
Maverick saves day by skin of neck - check

Needed a whole tin of this-
View attachment 73663
Not claiming they are all Citizen Kane, but it is a good way to stumble across obscure movies, and the genres are often including fortean ideas.

Only just realised that there was a film version of Mary Elizabeth Braddon's 'Lady Audley's Secret' - a classic Victorian sensation novel- made in 2000. Reasonable acting and scene setting but the storyline gets so re-written from the plot of the book that turns into another tale.

I watched this recently...film from 2013. It started off with an intriguing idea but they never developed the
'wall' aspect nor tried to explain what it was . The whole film was about how she lived/survived behind the 'wall' .
It was still interesting but in the end somewhat disappointing.

I watched this recently...film from 2013. It started off with an intriguing idea but they never developed the
'wall' aspect nor tried to explain what it was . The whole film was about how she lived/survived behind the 'wall' .
It was still interesting but in the end somewhat disappointing.
Video unavailable in this country.

Back