• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT436

oxo66

Ephemeral Spectre
Post came early, just before 10am. Envelope dry and intact.

from the FT's spine:

UFOs over America
Nandor Fodor and the Talking Mongoose
Richard Freeman's Gef Pilgrimage
New Lands at 100
Peru vs Aliens

oxo

Post came early, just before 10am. Envelope dry and intact.

from the FT's spine:

UFOs over America
Nandor Fodor and the Talking Mongoose
Richard Freeman's Gef Pilgrimage
New Lands at 100
Peru vs Aliens

oxo
Great stuff. UFOs and lots of Gef. Can't wait.

Still waiting on postie, but UFO’s aren’t my thing.
When I first got into the Occult/Forteana/Paranormal/Supernatural in the 1970’s, UFO’s and Cryptids were on the fringe, now they seem to be the mainstay.
Personally, I find the subjects of ghosts, cryptids and UFOs (I use those terms as general "catch all" terms) of roughly equal interest. It's great that FT covers them all to some degree or other in most issues.

To me, the subjects seem to fringe and blur into each other. I can't help feeling that if we come to understand the mechanics of any one of those phenomena, we would be closer to understanding all of them. Of course that might just be hopelessly optimistic!

But my optimism leads me to think that if we learnt how it can be that any one of those seemingly impossible things can actually be possible, we might at least be more open-minded when considering the others. To sum that notion up, we might start thinking along the lines of "OK, so if we were wrong about the UFO thing, what else might we be wrong about?"

Strange coincidence. Yesterday I was reading Paranormality: Why We See What Isn't There by Richard Wiseman. (Reccomended: this is a skeptickal debunking of paranormal phenomena taking in, among other things, the psychology of perception and how it can mislead. It reads like a kindlier and more scientifically-based Randi). A long chapter titled "Intermission" tells the story of Gef The Talking Mongoose and what might really have happened at Cashen's Gap.

FT436 drops through the door today, and guess what....

Also, Phenomenonix. The devil in these folk legends comes across as both inept and extraordinarily stupid. Doesn't he have legions of lesser demons at his call who could do the heavy lifting?

100 years since New Lands and 50 years since the first issue of The News.
We have been wonderfully entertained but I wonder how much we have learnt?

I finally got it to load on the FT app, and am gradually reading through; it has some interesting stuff, IHTM is quite good this time around, and I enjoyed the article on the cursed shamanic object.

Back