• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT440

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
January 2024 issue just dropped.
Ghost scrapbooks of Tom Perrott
St Pancras and King's Cross
Take me to Your Leaders
Alan Murdie looks at the Enfield Poltergeist adaptations on stage and screen.

And the usual stuff and the start of a new series of interviews starting with our very own Richard Freeman.

January 2024 issue just dropped.
Ghost scrapbooks of Tom Perrott
St Pancras and King's Cross
Take me to Your Leaders
Alan Murdie looks at the Enfield Poltergeist adaptations on stage and screen.

And the usual stuff and the start of a new series of interviews starting with our very own Richard Freeman.
They've given a full page to that guy who does the TV reviews - must be Christmas or something!

Last edited:
Mine arrived this morning but I’ve had no time today to flick through it.
I am staying in a hotel on the 4th January as the wife is having her ankle replacement so I may just save it for reading then.

Got mine this morning. On the waiting list at the moment as Im still ploughing through The Princes In The Tower by Phillipa Langley which is too detailed and engrossing to put down.

Came to me just in time, as I was popping out t'local pub.
S'not bad at all, though I've one very minor question:
When it comes to the Cutty Sark, should they use the term 'moored'? I assumed that suggested a temporary position. Wouldn't it be better 'stationed'?

so many minor gems.

Page 10, Nazi Coin From the Future. The author seems baffled as to how pseudo-Nazi coinage dated for sometime in our future ended up in Mexico. Could I steer interested people towards the rabbit-warren known as Facebook Reels? There's a whole sub-section of short artistic videos out there dealing with how creative people with an interest in metalworking view today's small coinage not so much as cash money, but as a cheap source of raw material for artistic experimentation. I wish I could retrieve the vid, but one artist began with things like dimes and nickels and quarter-dollars, and re-engraved them to represent the imagined currency of a fantasy world - no trace of the origin point remained (apart from coin size), and artificially aged, the new currency coins really did look authentic. I'd measure this coin and ask whose real world currency had, or has, the same diameter and relative thickness?

Stockport Syndrome: mentioned as a malapropism in a film review. Resident in Stockport as I am, I have to say - I'm using this.

Classical Corner: the Victorian academic Mr Liddell,. father of the wonderful Alice. Mental association: with the 1920's/30's Army officer Captain Liddell-Hart, one of the men who conceptualised the Blitzkrieg and demonstrated it worked so well that German observers at the fateful British military exercise took the idea home with them. If the man who had that left-field idea to transform the nature of warfare was a descendent of Alice In Wonderland, it would be oddly fitting...

The long article about the Scala Cinema in London: oddly enough, the Guardian had a report on exactly the same place and story - I'd read that about an hour before FT dropped through the door. A definite sense of deja-vu on picking up FT! (there's a film out about the Scala, which explains it - the review in the G takes a different emphasis to FT and the two articles are clearly different, but complimentary. It's in the Guardian Magazine, Sat 30/12/23, p-p32-33 and could usefully be read alongside FT.)

Back to reading an interesting edition!

The waking vision from the woman on holiday in the Basque village (IHTM) in which she "saw" the lynch-mob torturing a man and burning him at the stake. What baffles me is that she identified him as a priest, but also noted he'd been stripped naked. How did she know, if he'd been stripped naked? To quote Monty Python, maybe they have it tattooed on the back of the neck or something?

Last edited:
The waking vision from the woman on holiday in the Basque village (IHTM) in which she "saw" the lynch-mob torturing a man and burning him at the stake. What baffles me is that she identified him as a priest, but also noted he'd been stripped naked. How did she know if he'd been stripped naked? To quote Monty Python, maybe they have it tattooed on the back of the neck or something?
Tonsure?

The waking vision from the woman on holiday in the Basque village (IHTM) in which she "saw" the lynch-mob torturing a man and burning him at the stake. What baffles me is that she identified him as a priest, but also noted he'd been stripped naked. How did she know, if he'd been stripped naked? To quote Monty Python, maybe they have it tattooed on the back of the neck or something?

Having an interest in things Basque, I looked that up.

A priest was in fact burned in Ascain (the village mentioned in the article) in 1609 - during a savage months long witch-hunt, which was apparently ended by returning sailors rebelling against the tribunal. The witch hunt is enough a part of the local history to be mentioned on at least one tourist website.

The particular detail of the priest's execution (in fact there was more than one) is mentioned in The Basques of Lapurdi, Zuberoa, and Lower Navarre by Philippe Veyrin (Actual page number 313 / layout page 342.)

...The number of executions, which some authors put at six hundred, seems exaggerated, but it was perhaps even higher, if we include the many female accused who—as the preliminary investigations had not yet been carried out when the commission came to an end—were sent to fill the prisons of Bordeaux. The priest of Azkaine, and the priest of Ziburu and his curate, had been degraded and burned at stake; five other priests owed their lives to the intervention of the bishop of Baiona, Bernard d’Echaux. The premature return of five or six thousand Basque sailors from Newfoundland, and the fury they displayed, also mitigated the excessive zeal of the inquisitors as the investigation reached its end. Indeed, in order to be charged, one merely had to be denounced, even by a child. It is easy to imagine that, initially, many personal vendettas were settled in this way, and later, many victims—thanks to torture—named other alleged witches, in the hope of saving their own skins. To verify his case, de Lancre ensured that they had “the Devil’s mark” engraved in the shape of a toad’s claw in the white of their eyes, or that their bodies were at certain points insensible to the prick of a long needle. A seventeen-year-old girl, Morguy by name, was particularly expert in this kind of investigation. She assisted the court, and it is suspected that she succeeded in having several innocent people sent to the stake, at her own whim...

The problem I had with the account was that it seems somewhat overdetailed - especially for something that was apparently witnessed when 'It was dark, about 10 o'clock at night.'

But the detail the castration is intriguing. The reports I can find just now simply mention the priest being 'degraded' - but I think this could be anything from the kind of torture mentioned, to simply being dragged to the execution site on a cart. If what she saw happen is what actually happened, but is not mentioned in historical records, then it would be game on. But, of course, we'll ever know.

Edit: The writer also refers to a 'small Roman bridge' in the story. There is in fact a bridge called Pont Romain / Roman Bridge in Ascain, but it is apparently 15th century rather than Roman, the name referencing its style rather than heritage, apparently. The Basque is Ur Hertsi - I think this means something like 'narrow water'.

Last edited:
Priests didn't all wear tonsure.
Both men and women traditionally had their hair cut or removed in specific ways when they entered a monastery or convent. These haircuts symbolized religious devotion, group identity, and humility as well as the renunciation of worldly things and personal vanity. (https://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/13804/what-is-the-story-behind-a-monk-s-tonsure)
Ultimately, you could be an ordained priest but wear a tonsure. A monk was required to wear tonsure. And a monk isn't a priest.

Priests didn't all wear tonsure.

Ultimately, you could be an ordained priest but wear a tonsure. A monk was required to wear tonsure. And a monk isn't a priest.
But a priest could wear a tonsure, it's not whether  all priests wore a tonsure, but whether  this priest wore a tonsure... leading to an identification as "a priest ". Also, thinking about it, just because someone identified someone as a priest doesn't really mean they know the difference between a priest and a monk.

Good article on Danny Robins from our own Stu Neville with one little error. Danny first broke the paranormal ice with his previous podcast “Haunted” back in 2017. There were some really great subjects on that series and the last one, Nightshift, spread over 2 episodes, was about poltergeist activity that followed the death of a patient in a Ward on the now demolished Middlesex Hospital off of Londons Oxford Street.
Of all the episodes on this precursor to Uncanny, that last one would make a terrific subject for the current show. I would like to see how team sceptic explained away some of the events from that situation.
Nightshift part 1
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/haunted/id1299841207?mt=2&i=1000583069923
Nightshift part 2
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/haunted/id1299841207?mt=2&i=1000583069861

The only real gripe I've got about Uncanny is the whole 'Team Sceptic/Team Believer' schtick. There are many cases where a doubter might be convinced, and vice versa. What? Are they thrown off the team?
Maybe he chose this to dodge the cliché 'Believe it or not?' but it sounds so childish to me.

Also, thinking about it, just because someone identified someone as a priest doesn't really mean they know the difference between a priest and a monk.

And there is then the question of which tonsure!

You don't see the Irish/Colmcille tonsure around nowadays. Not since the Roman Church pushed them out.

Back