• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

GHOST HOTEL

Jared Keeler

I have long believed that spirits (ghosts, if you will) are present on earth. This opinion is, of course, from the multitude of accounts of sightings....some from my own family members. I have lived in a "haunted house" myself, and although I had not witnessed a sighting, had experienced strange occurrences and felt the presence of unseen subjects. I feel compelled to reveal to you an experience I recently had while my wife and I were staying in an old New York City Hotel for a three day weekend.

At approximately 3:30am on the morning of October 27, 2002, I heard my wife awake to go into the bathroom. Once she had returned to bed, I went there myself. I had turned off the bathroom light and was attempting to feel my way to my (left) side of the bed in the darkness. Suddenly, I noticed a tall dark image standing in front of me at a right angle to my body.

Momentarily startled, I then realized it was my imagination, as I was convinced no one had entered the locked room. Suddenly this large image, perhaps 6' 2", raised both of its arms and moved toward me as if to embrace or grab me. In a defensive motion I swatted at it, and it disappeared.

Immediately, I observed the image of a clean shaven man, 50's or 60's, moving across my line of vision from my left. The image turned to face me, floated toward me, then backed away. His facial features were clearly outlined in a faint neon green. His torso was also visible. Looking at him, I observed that his body appeared to have an oily film moving upon it, very similar to the appearance of a child's 'bubbles', when the oily film can be seen in the sunlight before they burst.

Immediately upon seeing this, I also observed a third apparition, darker and not as prominent, moving across my field of vision from my left. It was helmeted, and my impression was that it was an astronaut. Its body seemed rather bulky, and simply floated in the room with the same oily nature. I was not scared, but was delighted that I was actually seeing such apparitions. Feeling for furniture, I then realized I was not on the left side of the bed where I had originally been attempting to move, but was on my wife's side of the bed to my right. I moved around to the left side and seated myself in the bed, watching the old man and "astronaut" continue to float around the room for what I believed were perhaps two or three minutes. I also considered that the "astronaut" might also be a firefighter with a helmet and oxygen pack. As the old man faced me for several seconds I observed a large bright green circle on his right cheek. I did not speak to the apparitions, fearing they would disappear. The room had a murky appearance with a faint green haze. After those few minutes, the figures were no longer visible.

I did not awaken my wife, fearing the apparitions would disappear. Also, I would have had to have dealt with either her being aggravated that I had awakened her, or she being too frightened to return to sleep. I decided to tell her the story the next morning. Amazed that I had seen such a sight, I drifted off to sleep.

As we ate a late breakfast in the city, I told my wife of the incident. Declaring that I had been neither dreaming nor intoxicated, I had no trouble convincing her. As a precaution, she immediately purchased a cross pendant from a street vendor. Upon returning to the hotel, I asked the receptionist on duty if anyone else had reported such activity in the hotel. He replied no, adding he had only worked there for four months.

After hearing my story, he offered us a bible to place in our room, as we were staying one more night. I placed it on a nightstand, and as I closed the door to rejoin my wife in the lobby, the door made the most mournful creaking sound (until this moment, the door had not creaked at all the numerous times we had entered and exited the room). From that moment, the door had that mournful creak each time we opened and closed it until we checked out.

My wife would not allow me to leave lights off in the room the following (and our last) night at the hotel. However, I would have welcomed a second chance to see the apparitions. Given another chance, I would have spoken to them.

As we checked out, I did not ask a second rather rude and indifferent reception person, but did ask a housekeeper if anyone had reported seeing spirits in the past. I received an adamant "no", and nothing more was said between us.

The motel is currently undergoing a remodeling, noticeably because the lobby is completely gutted at this time. Upon checking in , we had been advised that we would be staying in one of the "new rooms". We could tell by the lack of patrons and lit windows that very few rooms were being occupied this particular weekend.

As a courtesy to the hotel at this point, I will not reveal its name. I will state only that it is approx. two blocks from Times Square. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has had a similar experience in a hotel in that area.

--------------------------------------------

ARCHIVED SOURCE: https://web.archive.org/web/20030407194001/http://www.forteantimes.com:80/happened/ghosthotel.shtml

Haunted Hotel

I was facinated by your account which mirrors an experience of my own, not in NYC though, in Brighton England.

At the time I was a senior A & E (ER) nurse, and was alone in one of our minor operations theatres at the back of the department.

Whilst re-stocking supplies I had occaision to glance into the gloomy theatre next to me and witnessed... and you will have to trust me here...an old man in pyjamas climb up a non existent staircace and disappear through the ceiling, simultaneously I saw a man in builders clothes wander through the wall next to me and, even more oddly a group of what appeared to be oriental soldiers rush from one side of the room to the other... i kid you not! as you describe the room had an odd appearance whilst this was all going on, sort of a grainy texture,which I cannot describe. as I have no other benchmark with which to compare.

It ended abruptly, and I like you was unafraid throughout. subsequently I decided that as this was in an Operating Room, that I had somehow inhaled some of the anaesthetic agents which are doubtless in the air causing visual hallucinations, and I suspect that perhaps your Old hotel room may well have contained simular, CO3 perhaps or Nitrous Oxide from a source within the Hotel? In fact I am increasingly convinced that many "sighting" such as this may be attributred to pockets of intoxicant gasses. just a thought.

hotel ghosts

:eek!!!!:

A couple of years ago I decided to book a couple of nights in a hotel in near the Peak Caverns that had the reputation of being haunted by a number of spooks. Me and my missus stayed in room 4 (room 5 being one with a "reputation".

During the first night, I woke up to feel a strange sensation coming from the mattress underneath my left leg, almost like someone drumming their fingers through the material covering the mattress. It was very weird, but I put it down to maybe a muscle twicth. As I had been drinking slightly earlier I didn't have a problem falling back to sleep.

When I mentioned the incident to my wife the next morning she said she was woken up in the middle of the night convinced that someone's cold fingers were stroking the back of her hand, which was outside the covers. She had thought it was me but turned to see me fast asleep turned away from her. She put her hand under the sheet and eventually drifted off.

Although neither of us saw anything it really put us in a spooked mood and the next night we made sure we got enough alcohol inside us that even Beetlejuice wouldn't have woken us!

I would highly recommend the hotel (Castle Hotel, Castleton) for it's atmosphere and good hospitality.

Does anyone else know a spooky place to stay?

I'd be scared out me wits if I actually saw something where I had to live. I can see it being a nice attraction if I owned a hotel though.
The photo is really interesting - but why black and white? is it very old?
Dan

its black and white because it was taken with an infra red camera i think. either that or my uncle just made a greyscale copy so u could more clearly see the details, as the carpet in the hallway there was red and green, walls were a pinkish colour, etc.

When myself and my partner were staying in the Luxor Hilton a couple of years back, I had the strangest dream. I was a WWII U.S. paratrooper besieged in a house with an orchard out back. It was a real vivd dream (the images are still clear!) I made a dash out back but didn't get far & got stuck with the ground being all shot up around me. A huge guy, a big sergeant, came to my rescue and then I woke up. I didn't mention the dream at all until the next day when my partner recounted a dream whereby she was a soldier in a house with a lot of trees out the back and was being shot at...

My only other bizarre hotel experience was in the Dingle Skelligs (beautiful hotel in Kerry) where we went a few times in January/February (special offers!) The second time we went there I awoke at 4am with the very definite sense (never felt before or after) that there was someone else in the room watching me. On went all the lights and TV much to my partner's disdain! I didn't like to say why I had the lights on etc & just said I couldn't sleep. Anyway, lights off & all & she asks "Do you think there's someone in the room?..." We atched TV together till breakfast!

When I was 6 or 7 I accompanied my parents on a business trip to Paris. Unfortunately I developed influenza and spent most of the trip swooning from high fever and clutching a sick bag.

However, I wasn't too ill the first night we got there, and I stayed in the hotel room while my parents went down to the restaurant.

As they left I was looking out of the window at the garden's stone statues illuminated in the moonlight, and I have a distinct memory of them all coming to life and playing on the swings and roundabouts in the kids' section, and waving up at me.

This was probably indicative of a rising body temperature than a haunting but I thought it was worth including.

I stayed in a pub/b'n'b in Devon when I was a child. It was out in the countryside on the moors (or whatever they're called). Me and brother shared a room and our parents spent the evening in the bar downstairs. At some point in the night, my brother started to cry, and I asked what was wrong. 'I want mummy!' he said. At that moment a terrifying fear gripped us. There was something malevolent in the room. I was quite sure that there was someone else in the room, so I started to cry as well, and then me and my brother started to yell out for our parents. They took so long to come that by then me and my brother were dripping with sweat from the terror. We'd stayed in lots of other hotels on our own, but had never experienced anything like that, nor had we ever done anything like that. We got told off for making a noise - we really were screaming. It was so horrible, yet we couldn't get out of bed, the fear pinned us to our sheets.

The next morning the landlord hinted to our parents that things like that often happened. Can't remember where the place was, but I'm not keen on going back there!

There is an awesome It Happened to Me! about this somewhere, I'll find it in a minute. Hotel ghosts were MR James' forte; "Oh Whistle And I'll Come to You, My Lad" and "Number 13" (? don't know fi that is the right title) scared the bejeesus out of me when I first read them.

I think the entire "hotel ghost" phenomenon may be something to do with the "home away from home" sensation - except it's not your home, it used to be someone else's. I don't think that more people die in hotel rooms than other rooms, do they? Interested to see if there are any Holiday Inns with reputations.

Hotel Demon/Ghost. Scotland.

Hi there folks!!Back again with another spooky experience from my past.This one I usually don't talk about as this is the one that still freaks me out a lot.I should mention that I am no youngster but a 43 year old mum with 2 kids and although I have had wierd stuff happening since I was a kid this thing is the only one that scared me sh**less!!!

My late dad was a keen fisherman (fly fishing) so most fam. holidays involved staying at places that had close access to lochs,rivers etc.

Mostly we stayed on the cheap!!Caravanning...you know ? But on this occasion my folks pushed the boat out and we stayed in a lovely little hotel up in the North of Scotland. I had a room to myself. I was 14.....this was in 1974...and all seemed fine. Trouble was on the first night as soon as I settled down and put off the light, something started pacing or padding round my bed. I popped the light back on.......silence.......put it off again and lay down.....and the padding started up again!!!Light on.....silence.........light off..........padding sounds. Yes I know I should have run screaming but who was going to believe me...Finally I fell asleep. Next day, of course, I didn't mention this to my folks... the padding stuff... I went out fishing with my dad. Being summer in Scotland it rained like a pig and my flared jeans (it was the fashion at the time, don't blame me !!).....soaked up a gallon or so of water. Making my excuses I returned to my room at the Hotel to hopefully wash out and dry my only pair of beloved jeans .I guess at this point whatever was in the room decided to make an appearance.

It's been almost 30 years since what happened happened and I just now as I type this realise I am still shaken and upset. So I'm going to stop here and have a little think about if I want to continue. Part two will follow if I feel I can tell it. Sorry to be so melodramatic. I didn't realise until I started to type how much this still bothers me. Sorry. I'll get back to you. I just need a break for now.

No need to apologise, Karenlilly.

Continue only when you feel up to doing so.

I'm not surprised it still shakes you up. Love to hear the story when you feel ready to continue it, take your time. :)

Bump! 2 hotel ghosts moved in together.

Right here we go with the thing in the Hotel part 2!!!I washed my jeans as best Icould and hung them over the back of a little chair in front of a heater,sat down on the bed in my T-shirt and undies and started flipping through one of those little welcome guides that hotels leave out,places to go..places to eat..places to get your car fixed if it breaks down etc.

Suddenly the room seemed to darken and thinking a cloud had moved over the sun I glanced to the window...but the sky was quite clear..the darkening was in the room itself.i became aware of a sudden drop in temperture and from the corner of my eye saw a shape begin to take form.BY the door and to one side of my bed a creature began to develop..it seemed to 'fade into being ' if you can understand what I mean. About the size of a large dog..all black..huge , bunched muscular shoulders (knotted with muscle ) a viscious wedge shaped head ,pale yellow eyes a fanged mouth with way too many teeth in it.No ears that I recall or nostrils .it crouched staring at me and I felt so strongly wave after wave of pure hatred emanating from it .clearly a voice in my mind said 'it hates all life with a terrible, terrible fury.'

The creature stared at me unblinkingly and then growled..one,long low growl .Never have I hears a sound like that since , it wasn't the growl of an animal or the growl a human might make pretending to be an animal it was instead something dreadful in between .I knew I had to leave the room as soon as possible or this thing would attack me and I also knew it was vitally important that I didn't take my eyes off it for one moment because only by watching it constantly could I exert just enough control to keep it where it was . I don't know why I knew any of this it just seemed right at the time .

I switched off the heater ,slipped my jeans on and picked up the room keys all the while watching this beast and knew to leave the room I would have to walk around it ( it was between me and the door ).Shaking all over but still strangely calm I approached it and as I did it felt as though the area around it was somehow thicker , like invisable treacle . i walked into and the closer I got the more the creature seemed to 'fade out 'although still quite visible .I opened the door and backed out the room it's eyes swivelled in it's horrible,horrible head as it watched me go ...I saw it tense as if to spring on me and then I was out the door and locking it behind me .

From the other side I heard ..nothing.I spent the rest of the day pottering about the hotel,I told no-one and believe it or not I slept in that same room that night before we left the next day..I had no more encounters before we left.At only 14 I didn't think anyone would really believe me and I knew my parents would be seriously 'humpy' if I requested another room.

I will try to find out from my,now 82 year old, mother what the name of this hotel was,she's a bit drifty in the head now'but has very good past re-call. Hope you found this interesting,I have a habit of attracting strange-stuff but this is the only time I really got a fright.

Paragraphs by rynner! (Makes it easier to read, karenlilly)

Thanks for finishing the story. :)
I would never have been brave to go back to that room, let alone sleep in it, regardless of what ppl thought of me! :eek:

Reactions: Ger
It does sound like a proper 'devil dog'.

These are, according to christian folklore, not the ghosts of dogs but demons that have bean sumoned by a dabbaler in the black arts but were for whatever reason unable to return to where ever it is demons are ment to be waiting for the last judgement.
There are several eliments that you discribe in your experience that seam to be present in nearly all sightings of them...the aperance of the beast, the fealing of utter haterid eminateing from it, the strange growl and a fealing almost as iff all time is slowing down (includeing your movement) as you approch it are all things that I've herd in tales of other people that have witnessed 'devil dogs'.

Of course thats just the explanations i've heard, It'd be interesting to hear other explanations.
There was a dog daeity that was worshiped in some parts of pre roman Britain aparrently dose anyone know if that has been linked in with 'devil dogs' or if it was ment to be a benigne happy daeity?

Hello Lord Flasheart,thanx for your reply.I found out some years later that this hotel was built close to the sight of ancient grave-sites..neolithic I think...and have often wondered if stones from those sites were used to build bits of the hotel.Did this mean this 'creature' adopted the hotel as it's new home..was it some sort of watch-dog..if you know stuff about devil-dogs and other sightings I would really appreciate some info on that as I only know about Black-Dog stuff (,Padfoot,Shuck etc.).

Cheers.
Karen.

I've found this site of it's of any help to you

ghost dogs in Sheffield

It mentions the Peterborough dog cult that I think lord flash heart was talking about and that Black Dogs are associated with ancient burial sites...

Dansette said:
At some point in the night, my brother started to cry, and I asked what was wrong. 'I want mummy!' he said. At that moment a terrifying fear gripped us. There was something malevolent in the room. I was quite sure that there was someone else in the room, so I started to cry as well, and then me and my brother started to yell out for our parents. They took so long to come that by then me and my brother were dripping with sweat from the terror.

One night when I was very young my cousin and I were sleeping in between his parents in their room. I don't know why, but at some point during the night we were both up crying in terror trying to open the door and get out of that room (the door wouldn't open). Our screaming should have been enough to wake everyone in the house let alone his parents in the room with us. Granted, they were deep sleepers, but I was even slapping and hitting them to wake them up but to no avail.

Years later, we both still remember this strange night. I usually start off by asking him "remember that night we both had the same nightmare?" to which his eyes widen and he replies in the affirmative. I wish we could remember what it was that terrorized us that night. Then again, maybe its better we don't. :eek:

Originally posted by Karenlilly
It's been almost 30 years since what happened happened and I just now as I type this realise I am still shaken and upset.So I'm going to stop here and have a little think about if I wan't to continue.

I know the feeling Karenlilly.

Hotel + Murder/Suicide = Ghost?

I've worked night audit at two hotels, one 15 years old, and the other five years old. Both have had hosted suicides, the first one hosted a murder committed by a nasty would-be serial killer. One of the suicides chose to very dramatically throw herself off of the 8th floor balcony, hitting the atrium below. Employees guess she was aiming for the waterfall & fountain, which she missed.

There are scores of stories, books and websites which tell of haunted hotels whose hauntings are linked to suicides/murders on the premises. My workplace had a number of strange incidents occur, mostly of the electonic haunting variety. Nothing dramatic, just radio changing stations while the guests were out of their rooms for a few minutes, coffee makers coming on by themselves, radios blaring in the middle of the night, alarm clocks having the time set forward an hour or two sometime during the night. One of our FedEx pilots was woken up 3 times in one night by the hot water in the bath turning on by itself. Strange stuff that happened so often that it almost became run of the mill, but never any reports of ghostly presences, sounds, smells, etc.

Another curious coincidence, whenever my coworkers and I would be discussing the likelihood of the hotel being haunted, we would have some sort of a minor sytem glitch--i.e. people on the other end of the phone not being able to hear us when they called, a receipt printer just stopping abruptly, copier only copying a 1/4 of the page you needed copied--these problems would just as inexplicably resolve themselves within the hour. These breakdowns didn't stop us talking about it though.

One night about 3 AM I was asking a security guard who had been at the hotel longer than I had, if he knew any stories about the ghost that I hadn't heard. Delmer, the security guard, was a tough old guy in his 70's, a retired truck driver who farmed during the day and did the security guard bit at night (he could manage this because he mostly slept during his guard shift). Delmer replied that he didn't believe in ghosts in general and this ghost in particular. At that moment his walkie-talkie crackled, making just the sound it would if someone with another radio on the same band was keying their mike, letting him know that they were initiating a conversation. Problem was, we were the only two employees in the hotel and Delmer (who was across the front desk from me) could plainly see that my radio was on the counter out of my reach. Funny, but a little creepy too.

I think the original poster (of the hotel near Times Square) should say what Hotel it was . . . I mean it's not as if these posts are going to put the hotel out of business. And he asks if anyone else has had weird experiences in a hotel near Times Square . . . there's only about 70!

I am planning a trip to NYC in October, and wouldn't mind staying in said hotel if the person can pop back on and enlighten us . . .

-Fitz

anybody ever stayed at the yha in Edinburgh?

I had a strange experience there....

For a brief time in the mid-70s, I helped run a youth hostel in Wentworth, Nova Scotia. It was a rather ordinary looking old house built in the late 19th century and added to in subsequent years. But there were many reports of ghostly goings-on.

While I was there, guests staying at the hostel reported being "felt up" (for lack of a better term) in their beds, usually in a small 4-person room at the front of the house, and seeing ghostly people milling around in the common room. Supposedly the hostel manager who was there before I showed up was scared out of the house at night by noises; when he looked back at the house, lights were going on and off. There was no-one else staying at the hostel at the time. I never saw anything, but I did hear music playing upstairs one afternoon when there was no-one else in the house and there was no source of music. I sometimes heard glass breaking at night, but there was never any evidence of broken glass in the morning.

If anyone who has stayed at the Wentworth Youth Hostel has any stories to tell, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Fascinating experience! I've been hoping to hear someone talk about green light. I had an experience with green light some years ago, and didn't have a clue as to what it was about, although the person with me said something that was mysterious to me at the time, but could make sense after reading about your green ghosts. Maybe there were spirits in the room.

I was lying in the arms of someone special to me, and the way we were positioned, his body was obstructing my view of most of the room. A small lanp was on, on the other side of the room casting a soft light. I could only see the top third of the wall opposite. At some point I realized that the light in the room was no longer white, but had changed to emerald green.

I should explain my odd behavior, (lack of interest in a very interesting event). When I was with this person, I was almost always in a kind of altered state. I didn't react normally to things. I frequently didn't have an appropriate emotional response to amazing happenings that occured when I was with him, and I rarely questioned him about what was happening. All of which is clearly abnormal to me in hindsight.

This time though, I got some words out, and asked about the green light. I said something like, " Why is the room full of green light?" (Extremely coherent for me.) He said something like, "There's so much love here, maybe THEY want to share the love." My coherence left me at that point, and I was unable to ask the obvious follow up question, "Who are THEY!?"

I've wondered about it ever since. Mind you, I didn't see anything except the green light, but there could have been any number of things in the room just out of my line of vision. At least I have one possible explaination now, and before I had none. Thank you for sharing.

Yet another coincidence. I will be in New York next weekend, on a shopping type trip with GF and my sister. We have booked into a rather old hotel but I think it's more than a few blocks from Times Square. Come on, tell us which hotel it was and I might change our reservation. Or at the very least, I'll have a poke around. :D

Anybody want a souvenir?

I think under similar circumstances I would have taken the window option, even if it wasn't on the ground floor. :shock:

Oh, and to heck with the jeans! Modesty is secondary to survival.

Dib

:lol: I'd forgotten I posted that!

Not really much of a story compared to others on here...

But I was staying at a yha in Edinburgh (I think there's two? I can't remember which one) and our room was down a hallway which was separated from the main corridor/staircase by one of those weighted spring-close doors. There was a couple staying in the room next door and no one else in that whole wing. We got talking and met up with them after dinner. I went to bed early because I was tired...but couldn't sleep so was reading for a few hours until my travelling partner returned. While I was reading I heard what I thought was the guy in the next room banging the door repeatedly and coughing for ages. I thought nothing of it. The next day I mentioned it to the person I was travelling with, and she said that the couple didn't leave the table for the whole time she was there. At this time I realised that while I heard the door to the next room (on the right) opening and shutting, I never heard the door on the left, the big spring-loaded one, open once, which it would have had to, for someone to be able to get to the second door. Of course I was met with extreme skepticism so I let the subject drop. We were surpised though, when we found out that the couple next door had left without saying goodbye...

The next night we travelled up to Inverness, and were even more surprised when we arrived at the hostel there and ran into the same couple from Edinburgh. It turned out they had had a disturbing experience in that room and had left first thing in the morning. The woman claimed to have been unable to sleep and felt there were eyes all around her. Then she said she saw a figure walk over to her bed, crouch down...and disappear.

That's pretty much it really... I am of two minds about the whole thing myself...I'm sure there are explanations...but I was hoping maybe someone else might have stayed there and would be able to shed some light...which is why I didn't elaborate in the first post...I just wanted to see if anything came up...But seeing as it didn't...

thanks for asking btw!

Reactions: Ger
Back